ImageImage

Count Down to 53

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Count Down to 53 

Post#1 » by WiscoKing13 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:34 pm

So going into training camp below are who i'm considering a lock. Barring starting on PUP these players will be on the 53.

Offense-17
QB-Rodgers/Hundley
RB-Lacey/Starks
FB-Rib
WR-Nelson/Cobb/Montgomery
TE-Cook/Rodgers
T-Bulaga/Bakhiari/Spiggs
G-Sitton/Lang
C-Linsley

Defense-22-Note Pennel will not count on 53 sine he will be suspened.
CB-Shields/Randall/Rollins/Gunter
S-Burnett/Hyde/Banjo/Hyde
OLB-Mathews/Peppers/Perry/Jones/Elliot/Fackrell/
ILB-Ryan/Barington/Martinez
DE-Daniels/Clark/Lowery
DT-Guion/Pennel

ST-2
K-Crosby
P-N/A
L/S-Lovato

Total-41

Here's my first projected 53

Offense-25
QB-Rodgers/Hundley
RB-Lacey/Starks/Crockett
FB-Rib
WR-Nelson/Cobb/Montgomery/Janis/Abby/Adams/Davis
TE-Cook/Rodgers/Backman
T-Bulaga/Bakhiari/Spiggs
G-Sitton/Lang/Walker/Taylor
C-Linsley/Trettor

Defense-25-Note Pennel will not count on 53 since he will be suspened.
CB-Shields/Randall/Rollins/Gunter/Daniel
S-Burnett/Hyde/Banjo/Hyde
OLB-Mathews/Peppers/Perry/Jones/Elliot/Fackrell
ILB-Ryan/Barington/Martinez/Thomas
DE-Daniels/Clark/Lowery/Ringo
DT-Guion/Pennel/Anderson

ST-3
K-Crosby
P-Mashtay
L/S-Lovato

Yes I coped out and kept 7 WR. I think this decision will be made for the pack. Also think there's an outside chance they try and keep Montgomery on PUP.

Second biggest thing that stands out to me is the lack bodies at the DE/DL in camp. Could of easily brought in fewer CB/WR/OLB's. Ringo and Anderson make the team by default, nothing to do with performance.

Only kept 3 Tackles, we invested highly in Spring and Trettor seemed to be serviceable in a pinch last year. Don't think Murphy is worth the roster spot at this point.

Only Kept 9 DB's and I'm grouping them together since Hyde can play both and if HaHa were to go down I would think Randall would replace him.
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,273

Re: Count Down to 53 

Post#2 » by jakecronus8 » Tue Aug 2, 2016 2:04 am

WiscoKing13 wrote:
DE-Daniels/Clark/Lowery
DT-Guion/Pennel

Pay Raji plz
Do it for Chuck
WiscoKing13
RealGM

Post#3 » by WiscoKing13 » Tue Aug 2, 2016 9:34 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:
WiscoKing13 wrote:
DE-Daniels/Clark/Lowery
DT-Guion/Pennel

Pay Raji plz

The DL is thin, but everyone seems to be very impressed with Clark. The DL coach compared his violent hands to Daniels and that's a hell of a compliment. Guion and Pennel both have been serviceable and after the suspension Pennel can hopefully take another step i his third season. After that there's a lot of question marks, but there's definitely quality in the first 4 guys on that DL. Not to mention Peppers and Dontane will play a lot with their hand down on third down.

So far so good on martinez, his 40 times didn't show it be he's ran stride for stride on crossing routes with Cobb and Adams. Also very few miss steps which is rare for a rookie.

While the strength of the D will continue to be the secondary, hopefully with the rookies and moving Clay back to OLB the D can take another step.
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

Tfence92
Starter
And1: 435

Post#4 » by Tfence92 » Wed Aug 3, 2016 5:56 am

I prayed for it and the powers that be delivered:

http://content.packersnews.com/packersnews/roster/builder.php

This should make creating the roster more fun/easier.
jakecronus8
RealGM

Post#5 » by jakecronus8 » Thu Aug 4, 2016 1:19 am

WiscoKing13 wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:
WiscoKing13 wrote:
DE-Daniels/Clark/Lowery
DT-Guion/Pennel

Pay Raji plz

The DL is thin, but everyone seems to be very impressed with Clark. The DL coach compared his violent hands to Daniels and that's a hell of a compliment. Guion and Pennel both have been serviceable and after the suspension Pennel can hopefully take another step i his third season. After that there's a lot of question marks, but there's definitely quality in the first 4 guys on that DL. Not to mention Peppers and Dontane will play a lot with their hand down on third down.

So far so good on martinez, his 40 times didn't show it be he's ran stride for stride on crossing routes with Cobb and Adams. Also very few miss steps which is rare for a rookie.

While the strength of the D will continue to be the secondary, hopefully with the rookies and moving Clay back to OLB the D can take another step.

Idk man. I see one guy in there that I think is more than just a body this season. Clark has the potential but rookie DLineman rarely make an impact, particularly ones with so little experience. I still think moving clay outside was a mistake. Really wish he was the man in the middle with a resigned Neal to retain some depth on the outside.
Do it for Chuck
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,157

Post#6 » by RRyder823 » Thu Aug 4, 2016 6:50 pm

With Janis once again looking like he's made zero progression in camp and both Abby and Davis shinning I'm guessing Janis should be worried barring injury.

His STs play gives him a decided edge out of the gate but from every report I've seen those two have looked light years ahead of him as a WR.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,938

Post#7 » by BUCKnation » Thu Aug 4, 2016 8:12 pm

Janis is almost a lock just for his STs play. He played an elite gunner and his KR's were pretty decent.
WiscoKing13
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Count Down to 53 

Post#8 » by WiscoKing13 » Thu Aug 4, 2016 9:57 pm

BUCKnation wrote:Janis is almost a lock just for his STs play. He played an elite gunner and his KR's were pretty decent.

I agree not to mention it's looking like Montgomery is going to be a pup candidate
DanoMac wrote:

RRyder823
General Manager

Post#9 » by RRyder823 » Thu Aug 4, 2016 11:50 pm

BUCKnation wrote:Janis is almost a lock just for his STs play. He played an elite gunner and his KR's were pretty decent.

I agree that he's almost a lock also for his STs play.

That said if there ends up being a massive gap between him and the other recievers, as there's a growing gap now, it wouldn't at all be shocking to cut him loose

WiscoKing13
RealGM

Post#10 » by WiscoKing13 » Fri Aug 5, 2016 9:44 pm

RRyder823 wrote:

I agree that he's almost a lock also for his STs play.

That said if there ends up being a massive gap between him and the other recievers, as there's a growing gap now, it wouldn't at all be shocking to cut him loose

Davis has had one really good practice. So I don't see him anywhere above janis, let a lone a gap.
DanoMac wrote:

jakecronus8
RealGM

Post#11 » by jakecronus8 » Sat Aug 6, 2016 1:53 am

If Davante Adams was an UDFA instead of a second round pick does he make the team? I only ask because it shouldn't matter.
Do it for Chuck
Tfence92
Starter

Post#12 » by Tfence92 » Sat Aug 6, 2016 6:21 am

jakecronus8 wrote:If Davante Adams was an UDFA instead of a second round pick does he make the team? I only ask because it shouldn't matter.

If he was a rookie, or even a sophomore, maybe it would matter more, but as a 3rd year guy I think it's irrelevant.

I think with TT it means even less than it would for the other 31 teams fwiw.
jakecronus8
RealGM

Post#13 » by jakecronus8 » Sat Aug 6, 2016 1:24 pm

Tfence92 wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:If Davante Adams was an UDFA instead of a second round pick does he make the team? I only ask because it shouldn't matter.

If he was a rookie, or even a sophomore, maybe it would matter more, but as a 3rd year guy I think it's irrelevant.

I guess I disagree. It seems as though that if you're a TT pick you have to be beyond awful to not make a team. Demetri Goodson immediately comes to mind. Justin Harrell, Allen Barbre, Brady Poppinga, AJ Hawk
Do it for Chuck
Tfence92
Starter

Post#14 » by Tfence92 » Sun Aug 7, 2016 1:42 am

jakecronus8 wrote:
Tfence92 wrote:

I guess I disagree. It seems as though that if you're a TT pick you have to be beyond awful to not make a team. Demetri Goodson immediately comes to mind. Justin Harrell, Allen Barbre, Brady Poppinga, AJ Hawk

Harrell was hurt like every year, bouncing around the IR and the PUP, so idk if he really counts? Obviously he's like the biggest bust since Mandarich, but injuries can help justify (maybe not correctly) a reason to keep you around.

Goodson has been in the NFL 2 years, not sure how that counts? I'll agree he sucks tho... he probably makes the roster on the technicality that he's suspended for the first 4 games so he'll stick around in case of injuries.

Barbre was quite awful, but again he was only here 3 years and got useful time year 3. Not like we were cutting other guys that were so good. I mean. this is a team that kept Marshall Newhouse around for years; and even more recently look at like Walker lol
Plus, fwiw, he was a 16 game starter last year, maybe that gives TT some credibility there.

Poppinga was pretty meh, but TT loves his high motor/great special team guys. Thats probably the reason he got resigned to like a $15M deal lol.
Tfence92
Starter

Post#15 » by Tfence92 » Sun Aug 7, 2016 1:45 am

Also, isn't everyone a TT pick? He's been the GM for the past like decade now.
No one has been left over from a previous regime in years... and if we all know that he loves his UDFA guys.

I guess my point here is, who isn't a TT guy?
RRyder823
General Manager

Post#16 » by RRyder823 » Sun Aug 7, 2016 5:05 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:
Tfence92 wrote:

Outside of Goodson not a single player you listed was aweful. None were stars sure but they were all good enough to carry a roster spot

Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,544

Post#17 » by Frank Nova » Mon Aug 8, 2016 2:49 am

It's getting pretty ugly for Davante. Idk wtf happened to him in the last 18mo but he's a shell of his rookie year. He's regressed so bad it's insane. Could be injury or some sort of lack of motivation? I have no idea, but it just seems like the negative remarks keep coming in bunches with him. I heard seriously nothing but bad stuff about him all TC, I honestly don't think he deserves to make the team over someone like Allison but maybe the 2nd round pick title is what's saving him...? Like you said though, it shouldn't be the reason he's kept around.
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,557

Post#18 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Aug 8, 2016 1:39 pm

More talented guys that were picked higher in the draft tend to get a longer leash to prove themselves. Don't see what's so shocking about that.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#19 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Aug 8, 2016 3:26 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:More talented guys that were picked higher in the draft tend to get a longer leash to prove themselves. Don't see what's so shocking about that.

Exactly. Especially when your talking about the end of the roster guys who youre not counting on having to play. I totally get why you might keep a guy who you feel has more upside even if he gets out played.

I find the goodson stuff kind of funny. I know people loved rolle and thought he should have made the team over Goodwin two years ago. Last i saw rolle wasnt on a roster so lets not act like the packers cut Deon sanders to keep the dude.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,168
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#20 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Aug 8, 2016 3:34 pm

There have been a large amount of hated Packer "how are they even in the NFL?" offensive linemen that went on to start multiple years elsewhere.

Return to Green Bay Packers