ImageImage

Giants Post Game

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Giants Post Game 

Post#1 » by Mags FTW » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:52 am

Ugly win, but a win. Defensive front 7 played pretty well, but Ryan damn near gave up a long TD.

1) The special teams sucks. 4 penalties, short punts, giving up long returns...how does Zook have a job?

2) I still can't believe people aren't open when Aaron has as much time as he has. I would like to see some All 22 footage to see if he is missing guys.

3) Still no killer instinct. This team simply has issues delivering the knockout punch.
GBPackers47
Starter
And1: 1,258

Re: Giants Post Game 

Post#2 » by GBPackers47 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:56 am

Mags FTW wrote:Ugly win, but a win. Defensive front 7 played pretty well, but Ryan damn near gave up a long TD.

1) The special teams sucks. 4 penalties, short punts, giving up long returns...how does Zook have a job?

2) I still can't believe people aren't open when Aaron has as much time as he has. I would like to see some All 22 footage to see if he is missing guys.

3) Still no killer instinct. This team simply has issues delivering the knockout punch.

I've obviously made my frustrations very known on this board with your third point. But I am absolutely baffled (in agreement) with your second point. Rodgers was touched ONCE the entire game, yet we couldn't get anyone open down the field. I want to see the entire field on those plays because that's just bad.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,281

Post#3 » by rilamann » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:57 am

It's funny,this Packers team probably isn't as good as they've been in '12/'13/'14 but they seem like they might better equipt to play playoff style football than they were in those seasons.

That's my take after 4 games.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#4 » by FAH1223 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:58 am

Aaron had so much time to throw

There were drops

But I'm sure he missed guys
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#5 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:58 am

Happy to see us go for the first down on that last drive
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,239

Post#6 » by LUKE23 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:59 am

Our D is really damn deep at OLB and the run D with Pennel should be inpenetrable. Get Shields and Randall back and let's see what we have.

Rodgers has to play better and that is pretty obvious. Nelson and R. Rodgers had some huge drops today that prevented us from scoring over 30.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#7 » by Jollay » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:01 am

Well, not so bad. I feel like this entire organization has gotten too full of itself, and it was nice to see MM kind of get down to more of traditional, effective game-style tonight. However, it might be time to acknowledge A-Rod may no longer be God-like. The offensive line absolutely dominated tonight. As did Capers by the way.

Mike Daniels, I always liked him, but frankly thought he was slightly overrated until roughly second half last year. Glad to see he was worth every penny and more and I was wrong. Our depth at OLB is now absurd.

Thank God Joe Thomas and Jake Ryan have taken a small but significant next step. Our defense looks great barring injuries. If we can regain Cook and Nelson (he was faster tonight) can continue to improve, we'll have a shot.

Godgers, though. Very fair to continue to wonder what has happened.

Shout out to Adams, obviously. Please God, keep it up.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#8 » by Mags FTW » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:02 am

GBPackers47 wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:Ugly win, but a win. Defensive front 7 played pretty well, but Ryan damn near gave up a long TD.

I've obviously made my frustrations very known on this board with your third point.

6, 7, 3, 6

That's how many points this team has scored in the 2nd half of each game.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Jollay » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:02 am

rilamann wrote:It's funny,this Packers team probably isn't as good as they've been in '12/'13/'14 but they seem like they might better equipt to play playoff style football than they were in those seasons.

Just a vibe, but possibly correct.

Maybe it has more to do with a weaker NFC as well.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#10 » by thomchatt3rton » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:11 am

It was unsatisfying, but I think there's a lot to be happy about too. The defense, despite injuries, was pretty nice. NYG had only 219 or so yards, only 1 TD and were awful on 3rd down.*

And compared to last year's deep and consistent funk, the offense continues to show some little signs of life and potential to put some things together (provided injuries don't derail everything). No sacks, nearly 50% 3rd down conversion rate etc.

How you feel about the O probably depends a bit on expectations- compared to last year, I think it looks more positive than it does when you compare it to what it should be.

*Giants were averaging 389 yards of total offense, 289 passing in a small sample size this year. Not bad.
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#11 » by bizarro » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:23 am

Takeaways:

1) Aaron Rodgers is not the same God-like NFL an we witnessed for 4 seasons. He's also still a damn good qb. Which leads me to...

2) Our wr and te core is simply not as good as we originally thought. W/ Cook down, and our speedsters inexperienced or untrustworthy, our lack of speed is glaring. Adams was improved. Jordy with some extremely uncharacteristic drops.

3) We left a lot of points on the board BUT we also played extremely sloppy offensively and ST's so did we really leave anything or is this another classic MM team - cue '...we'll look at the tape. This amount of mistakes coming off a bye is troubling...'

4) Schum is worse than Mathsay. How is that even humanly possible?

5) Richard Rodgers had an awful game and he simply is a terrible blocking TE.

6) Our O Line is really really good

7) Even in sloppy games, this team has learned to get key 1st downs late in games. This is an impressive trait.

8) Our return game is nothing

9) Crosby is virtually automatic 40 yards and in

10) this Giants team was fairly unimpressive

11) edit: Until banged up, Lacy ran w a purpose and looked really good

12) edit: what the heck happened to the timing in Our the screen and dump offs?
bizarro
RealGM
And1: 7,290

Post#12 » by bizarro » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:27 am

Jollay wrote:
rilamann wrote:It's funny,this Packers team probably isn't as good as they've been in '12/'13/'14 but they seem like they might better equipt to play playoff style football than they were in those seasons.

I tend to agree with you. I think at this point Atl, Sea, and MN are better overall football teams but I still think we can play with any of them on any given night.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#13 » by El Duderino » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:54 am

bizarro wrote:Takeaways:

1) Aaron Rodgers is not the same God-like NFL an we witnessed for 4 seasons. He's also still a damn good qb. Which leads me to...

2) Our wr and te core is simply not as good as we originally thought. W/ Cook down, and our speedsters inexperienced or untrustworthy, our lack of speed is glaring. Adams was improved. Jordy with some extremely uncharacteristic drops.

The passing game still sucks, even at home vs a defense who couldn't get any pressure at all.

Yea, with Cook down we again had to many instances with Rodgers having all day to throw, but nobody seemed to be open.

This lead me to another frustration with McCarthy. Instead of ever going with 4 or 5 WR sets, it's almost always the same four guys out there in R. Rodgers, Jordy, Cobb, and Adams. Abbrederis and Montgomery rarely get on the field. If i'm a defense in a passing situation, i'd rather see R. Rodgers/Jordy/Cobb/Adams out there vs Jordy/Cobb/Adams and another receiver. It's not as if a TE was needed often to stay in for protection tonight and R. Rodgers got rag dolled as a blocker.

As for the punting situation, Ted needs to swallow his pride and either bring Masthay back or sign someone off the street because Schum is straight garbage. He stunk last year with Tampa and has stunk here also.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,228

Post#14 » by thomchatt3rton » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:56 am

3) We left a lot of points on the board BUT we also played extremely sloppy offensively and ST's so did we really leave anything or is this another classic MM team - cue '...we'll look at the tape. This amount of mistakes coming off a bye is troubling...'

6) Our O Line is really really good

7) Even in sloppy games, this team has learned to get key 1st downs late in games. This is an impressive trait.

8) Our return game is nothing

9) Crosby is virtually automatic 40 yards and in

10) this Giants team was fairly unimpressive

11) edit: Until banged up, Lacy ran w a purpose and looked really good

12) edit: what the heck happened to the timing in Our the screen and dump offs?

#2 can't be overstated. We need viable, functional 4th and 5th WRs and a viable functional TE (some teams even have 2 of these).

I'd put both those picks on the receiver, not Rodgers (especially the first one). Wouldn't you?

ETA: All that being said, I think a big part of the issue is Rodgers constantly hunting big plays. I think he could get shorter stuff more if he wanted to. Not always, but a lot more often than he does. This is by design- it's just what we do. The thinking is probably that if Rodgers can't find somebody deep, he can always scramble and either run or buy time until someone gets open. If not, we're (apparently) willing to live with that. It's like taking a sack rather than risking an interception- it's just what we do.
rilamann
RealGM

Post#15 » by rilamann » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:00 am

Jollay wrote:

A weaker NFC helps but to add to my point,I don't think this Packer team will be lighting people up for 40+ with a flashy offense this season like they did in seasons past.I also don't think we'll see a flashy 13-3 type of record.

But what they have now that they didn't have in those seasons is a really good physical defensive front and really good offensive line.As we all know big games and playoff games are won in the trenches.Throw in the fact we still have Aaron Rodgers and we might have something here.I also liked the methodical style offense we saw tonight,it suits them so much better.

I was impressed tonight.

It's still early but the Packers might be one of those 10-6 type teams that can win ugly vs say a 14-2 type when it matters.

Ironically they are starting to kind of remind of those Giants teams that won Super Bowls with Eli.They basically won those with solid fronts and a methodical efficient style of offense.

Grind it out and smash people in the mouth.Flashy doesn't win when it matters.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#16 » by El Duderino » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:03 am

Jollay wrote:

It's because the defense is paying well, especially vs the run. Perry is a great run defending OLB to go along with his pass rushing. That dude is becoming arguably the most important player on the defense or very close to it. If he keeps this up all season, he's going to put Ted in a bind. Give Perry a sizable contract, even with his injury history or someone else will.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Jollay » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:05 am

El Duderino wrote:

The passing game still sucks, even at home vs a defense who couldn't get any pressure at all.

Yea, with Cook down we again had to many instances with Rodgers having all day to throw, but nobody seemed to be open.

This lead me to another frustration with McCarthy. Instead of ever going with 4 or 5 WR sets, it's almost always the same four guys out there in R. Rodgers, Jordy, Cobb, and Adams. Abbrederis and Montgomery rarely get on the field. If i'm a defense in a passing situation, i'd rather see R. Rodgers/Jordy/Cobb/Adams out there vs Jordy/Cobb/Adams and another receiver. It's not as if a TE was needed often to stay in for protection tonight and R. Rodgers got rag dolled as a blocker.

As for the punting situation, Ted needs to swallow his pride and either bring Masthay back or sign someone off the street because Schum is straight garbage. He stunk last year with Tampa and has stunk here also.

As long as we're doing more with Rip, Aaron under center and straight playaction, I can live with less spread.

However, I completely agree with you. Complete waste to keep seven receivers if not. With our OL playing well, let's get a receiver out there instead of R Rodgers a little more. I mean, especially missing Lacy for God's sake.

And if we are to dick around with Montgomery/Cobb in the backfield, obviously it makes more sense to it with four wide formations where they can come out of the backfield versus a nickel LB. (You know, like when Jake Ryan tried to chase Beckham down when they lined him out of the backfield).

With all the failures tonight, if A-Rod can recapture 85% of 2011, we'll be right there. Of course we all know how TT is about admitting mistakes (Schum) or putting us over the top. Even CJ Spiller would have helped a nice amount tonight, obviously.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Jollay » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:07 am

rilamann wrote:
Jollay wrote:

A weaker NFC helps but to add to my point,I don't think this Packer team will be lighting people up for 40+ with a flashy offense this season like they did in seasons past.I also don't think we'll see a flashy 13-3 type of record.

But what they have now that they didn't have in those seasons is a really good physical defensive front and really good offensive line.As we all know big games and playoff games are won in the trenches.Throw in the fact we still have Aaron Rodgers and we might have something here.I also liked the methodical style offense we saw tonight,it suits them so much better.

I was impressed tonight.

It's still early but the Packers might be one of those 10-6 type teams that can win ugly vs say a 14-2 type when it matters.

Ironically they are starting to kind of remind of those Giants teams that won Super Bowls with Eli.They basically won those with solid fronts and a methodical efficient style of offense.

I mean, great post, especially with the analogy to the earlier Giants teams. Hoping you are correct.
El Duderino
RealGM

Post#19 » by El Duderino » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:18 am

rilamann wrote:

I was impressed tonight.

The thing is though, the passing game struggled often yet again, even though Rodgers repeatedly had tons of time to throw. That's likely not going to happen to that degree again and especially in the playoffs where teams typically have a good defense.

Yea there were to many drops, but it was crazy how often Aaron just stood in the pocket forever looking looking looking for an open receiver before finally either throwing the ball away or trying to force the ball into somebody. That won't happen vs teams with a better pass rushing unit. He also just has to get his accuracy back at least close to where it used to be.

I will grant though that this clearly looks like the best Packers defense in awhile. Get our corners healthy and this defense looks really legit.
rilamann
RealGM

Post#20 » by rilamann » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:13 am

El Duderino wrote:
rilamann wrote:

I was impressed tonight.

The thing is though, the passing game struggled often yet again, even though Rodgers repeatedly had tons of time to throw. That's likely not going to happen to that degree again and especially in the playoffs where teams typically have a good defense.

Yea there were to many drops, but it was crazy how often Aaron just stood in the pocket forever looking looking looking for an open receiver before finally either throwing the ball away or trying to force the ball into somebody. That won't happen vs teams with a better pass rushing unit. He also just has to get his accuracy back at least close to where it used to be.

I will grant though that this clearly looks like the best Packers defense in awhile. Get our corners healthy and this defense looks really legit.

I agree,if the Packers are going to win anything of significance this season the offense is going to have to play better and be more consistent.

Hopefully McCarthy (not holding my breath) can figure things out as the season goes along and adapt a little better to his personnel.I think what maybe happened last season and early in this season is that our offense wasn't/isn't as good as it was in say 2014, but McCarthy was still game planning and coaching like they were still that good.

I think the Packers still have the tools to have a pretty damn good offense, but they're not a flashy we might score 50 on you type of offense anymore like they were in the Godgers years.You have to adjust and change your style to better fit your current personnel.

We seen some good things tonight but McCarthy has done a horrible job in that regard.

But like I was saying,the Packers are pretty solid in the trenches and if the offense can get it together and find their niche they might be an interesting team late in the season.

Return to Green Bay Packers