Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,002

Re: Packers 2017 NFL Draft Thread 

Post#601 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:27 pm

Profound23 wrote:Hypothetical:

A.) You are guaranteed 1 future HOF at any position of your choice out of this draft, but all of the rest of the picks will be epic failures.

or

B.) Every player you draft will be worthy of their pick and valuable to the roster, but none will ever be pro-bowl worthy.

1.) Which do you pick?
2.) If you pick A, what position do you pick?

I'm easily taking the HOF player (quarterback) and supplementing my roster with UDFAs.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,518

Post#602 » by Profound23 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:36 pm

So instead of getting a hof player at another position to help Rodgers, you take a qb to replace him?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#603 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:54 pm

Profound23 wrote:So instead of getting a hof player at another position to help Rodgers, you take a qb to replace him?

Yup, without a second thought. I can't think of any one position on the field that would outweigh another decade+ of HOF QB play.

What would you take?
Profound23
RealGM

Post#604 » by Profound23 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:25 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Profound23 wrote:So instead of getting a hof player at another position to help Rodgers, you take a qb to replace him?

Yup, without a second thought. I can't think of any one position on the field that would outweigh another decade+ of HOF QB play.

What would you take?

With the assumption that we are keeping him his entire career....same. I just wanted to clarify. I just had this discussion with someone and he told me I was crazy.

However assuming the Packers aren't drafting a qb, my next position is safety for one reason. To make the HOF as a safety you have to be SPECIAL. I mean look at the great safeties that didn't make the HOF. You are guaranteed a player on this team better than Leroy Butler.

Strong consideration at wr just because this offense with a HOF wr would be sick.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#605 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:34 pm

Profound23 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

What would you take?

With the assumption that we are keeping him his entire career....same. I just wanted to clarify. I just had this discussion with someone and he told me I was crazy.

However assuming the Packers aren't drafting a qb, my next position is safety for one reason. To make the HOF as a safety you have to be SPECIAL. I mean look at the great safeties that didn't make the HOF. You are guaranteed a player on this team better than Leroy Butler.

Strong consideration at wr just because this offense with a HOF wr would be sick.

If I wasn't taking a QB I'd take a RB. To make the HOF in today's NFL he'd have to be Peterson or LT. He'd extend Rodgers career too, ala Terrell Davis.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#606 » by Profound23 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:12 pm

I considered RB, but if I'm putting all my draft into one player....his career has to last longer than the average rb.

LT is not a bad choice as long as Bakhtiari can play RT.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#607 » by jakecronus8 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:41 pm

Wow. Running back is darn near the bottom for me.

OLB/DE (pass rush)
QB
CB
T
WR
S
ILB
DT
TE
RB
G
C
K
FB
P

Is how I'd rank them. McCarthy will not now or ever want to run the ball and his oline scheme is not built for it.
Do it for Chuck
Profound23
RealGM

Post#608 » by Profound23 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:12 am

The talk of all of these QBs going in the first is awesome. See Watson and Tribusky go early enough....Houston, KC, or AZ jumps on Mahomes.

Cleveland, Chicago, Jets, or SF will be offering tons of picks whoever missed out in the 1st to get Kizer.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#609 » by Profound23 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:23 am

My dream scenario:

Bears go Tribusky at 3 (major bust imo), Watson either goes 6 to Jets, KC or Houston goes Mahomes.

At this point one of two things happens:

1.) someone unexpected falls into our laps and we hopefully take him
2.) I am calling a team like the 49ers who at this point have to want Kizer and making them give me their 2nd and future 1st to jump over Cleveland or calling Cleveland and getting both of the 2nds to secure their QB so nobody can take him from them. I know people say why make a deal with the Bears, but if they pass on a QB in the 1st then I call them and offer my pick for their 2nd and future 1st. I know this doesn't work out with the trade chart, but QBs always surpass the trade chart.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#610 » by Mags FTW » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:37 am

TT's Pre-Draft Presser

Profound23
RealGM

Post#611 » by Profound23 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:33 am

Mags FTW wrote:TT's Pre-Draft Presser

4:53 - 5:06

proves exactly what I said about Ted. He gets in his mind what player he wants that he projects will fall to him and very rarely does a player falling out of the top 10 make him waver. He said it himself.

So next week if he wants Kevin King in the 1st round and somehow Reuben Foster falls to us, according to him his mind is made up and Kevin King is the player he is going to take.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#612 » by jakecronus8 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:51 am

Asked this on twitter. Who is one prospect in any round that if you had to lay money on is a Packer after the draft?

I went with G/T Sean Harlow from Oregon St. College LT with good athleticism and Packer OLineman measurables that projects to move inside with good bloodlines (dad is Pat Harlow). What say you guys?
Do it for Chuck
Profound23
RealGM

Post#613 » by Profound23 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:30 am

jakecronus8 wrote:Asked this on twitter. Who is one prospect in any round that if you had to lay money on is a Packer after the draft?

I went with G/T Sean Harlow from Oregon St. College LT with good athleticism and Packer OLineman measurables that projects to move inside with good bloodlines (dad is Pat Harlow). What say you guys?

Tough because you have to project who will be there and what position they will need at that point.
I will go with James Conner
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#614 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:46 am

I'll go with Jordan Evans of Oklahoma. Athletic ILB.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Post#615 » by Mags FTW » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:16 am

Cooper Kupp
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,167

Re: RE: Re: Packers 2017 NFL Draft Thread 

Post#616 » by RRyder823 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:12 pm

Profound23 wrote:

proves exactly what I said about Ted. He gets in his mind what player he wants that he projects will fall to him and very rarely does a player falling out of the top 10 make him waver. He said it himself.

So next week if he wants Kevin King in the 1st round and somehow Reuben Foster falls to us, according to him his mind is made up and Kevin King is the player he is going to take.

I get what your saying but considering we got more out of Clark last year versus Myles Jack, and I'd wager on Clark being the better player long term also, it's not necessarily vital to jump all over a guy simply because he falls farther then expected

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,367

Post#617 » by M-C-G » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:25 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:Wow. Running back is darn near the bottom for me.

OLB/DE (pass rush)
QB
CB
T
WR
S
ILB
DT
TE
RB
G
C
K
FB
P

Is how I'd rank them. McCarthy will not now or ever want to run the ball and his oline scheme is not built for it.

If not QB, then put me down for HOF ILB, CB, TE, WR...That essentially means you are getting something like Ray Lewis, Charles Woodson, Gronkowski or Randy Moss which are all game changing guys. On offense both of those guys would probably extend Rodgers window by a fair margin, and on defense, those type of guys at those positions transform a defense and have pretty decent longevity.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#618 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:07 pm

Honestly surprised you guys would value RB so low. Do you really think prime Watt or prime Sherman/Reed help a 38 year old Rodgers more than prime Adrian Peterson or Tomlinson? If you're telling me I could have prime Moss, sure, sign me up. But in this day and age you could also be talking about Marvin Harrison or Torry Holt or Andre Johnson. To be a hall of fame runningback in 2018 you need to be an all-time great.
Profound23
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Packers 2017 NFL Draft Thread 

Post#619 » by Profound23 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:16 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:

I get what your saying but considering we got more out of Clark last year versus Myles Jack, and I'd wager on Clark being the better player long term also, it's not necessarily vital to jump all over a guy simply because he falls farther then expected

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using RealGM mobile app

I still think Jack ends up a better player and the other guy most wanted Reggie Ragland will also be better imo.

However, even if this one time it works..... I would bet looking at it that taking the blue chipper who falls for a dumb reason rather than the guy you limited your pick to has hurt us in the 1st more often than not.

Look at the year we got Rodgers. That year we were focused on Roddy White (per Ted) and Aaron fell to us....we took him. That is one of the few times he went off his radar.

Ten years later, he is focused on Damarius Randall because it's a player he believes will be available, Landon Collins falls from the top 15 and we let him pass us by too.

Nothing wrong with having a focus on player or two who you think will be there, but you have to be prepared for if anyone...even Myles Garrett falls to you. All it takes is one stupid tape of you hitting the bong to fall from top 5 to the end of the first and if we haven't scouted that guy....we stay in the tunnel vision and miss out on great prospects.

I have been saying this for years and people keep debating saying ,"No we take the best player." It's obvious that every year Ted picks a player he believes will be available at our pick....scouts that player....and no matter what is going to take that player. Limiting your options in the NFL draft gets you no where.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#620 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:21 pm

As for why the test came back dilute, Foster explained in detail. He said he was sick before the Combine. He was throwing up, had diarrhea, couldn't keep anything down and was cramping. One adviser offered to have a doctor put him on IVs to hydrate, but he didn't want that. He saw a doctor, got some medication and started hydrating himself.

Foster believes it was food poisoning.

"I couldn't eat much, but I had to drink water and Gatorade," said Foster, who began the process as the consensus top linebacker based on his game tape and measurables. "Then a few coaches said something about me being too light. And I'm a coach-pleaser. I don't care what everybody thinks, but I care what coaches think. So I drank and ate as much as I could without throwing up. Then I went in there, drinking and drinking water, trying to flush out my system from whatever was making me sick and trying to keep my weight up and took the test."

The result was the diluted test.

Foster's test being treated as failed. Starting to entertain the thought of him in the Packers range, which would be a damn miracle.

Return to Green Bay Packers