ImageImage

2017 Badger Football

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

User avatar
HKPackFan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,759
And1: 2,312
Joined: Jan 14, 2014
Location: Hong Kong
   

2017 Badger Football 

Post#1 » by HKPackFan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:27 am

7 Mid year Enrollees enter program.

Hopefully Horni has some QB competition.

Crazy, I lived in Pembroke Pines, FL for a few years. It's a suburb of Fort Lauderdale. WI is a long way away.

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2017/1/11/14246342/wisconsin-football-recruiting-midyear-enrollees-jack-coan-kayden-lyles?hl=1&noRedirect=1

The Wisconsin Badgers welcomed seven mid-year enrollees to their football program, the athletic department announced via Twitter on Wednesday afternoon. As the players are now on campus, they will be able to practice and condition with the team.

Athlete Deron Harrell was a member of the class of 2016 but greyshirted, meaning he did not enroll in the fall but would join the program starting in the spring semester. He could play either wide receiver or cornerback.

The son of former Florida State Seminole Damian Harrell, the 6’3, 175-pound commit originally committed to Wisconsin back in late January of last year. He was rated as a three-star recruit by 247Sports’ composite rankings.

Read on Twitter


Six of the seven players are for the incoming class of 2017, part of the 16 known Wisconsin verbal commitments as of time of publishing. They include the following:

Sayville, N.Y., quarterback Jack Coan – three-star commit according to 247Sports composite rankings (four star by Rivals); No. 21 pro-style quarterback in the nation (No. 12 by Rivals); No. 3 player in state of New York (No. 237 nationally by Rivals)
East Forsyth, N.C., cornerback Madison Cone – three-star commit according to 247Sports composite rankings; No. 128 cornerback in the nation
Bolingbrook, Ill., defensive end/outside linebacker Izayah Green-May – three-star commit according to 247Sports composite rankings; No. 37 weak-side defensive end in the nation
Pembroke Pines, Fla. cornerback Faion Hicks – three-star commit according to 247Sports composite rankings; No. 181 cornerback in the nation
Middleton, Wis. offensive lineman Kayden Lyles – four-star commit; No. 12 offensive guard in the nation according to 247Sports composite rankings; No. 211 overall (No. 149 overall by Rivals); No. 1 player in the state of Wisconsin
Rock Valley, Ia., outside linebacker Andrew Van Ginkel – junior college transfer from Iowa Western Community College; three-star commit according to 247Sports composite rankings(four-star by Rivals)

Lyles joins his older brother, quarterback Kare’, as early enrollees. Kare’ joined the team in spring 2016. Both are sons of former Wisconsin tight end Kevin Lyles.

Mid-year enrollees in recent years who have found significant time on the playing field include quarterbacks Joel Stave and Alex Hornibrook, offensive linemen Jon Dietzen and Michael Deiter, tight end Kyle Penniston and cornerback Sojourn Shelton.

Check in with B5Q for their full recruiting profiles and more news as we approach National Signing Day on Wednesday, Feb. 1.
User avatar
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
Posts: 48,126
And1: 4,254
Joined: May 02, 2002
Location: The Craps Table
     

Re: 2017 Badger Football 

Post#2 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:05 pm

He has two viable candidates on the current staff – secondary coach Jim Leonhard and outside linebackers coach Tim Tibesar.

Leonhard, a former All-American safety at UW who enjoyed a productive 10-year NFL career, recently finished his first season in coaching.

Chryst believed in Leonhard enough to hire him despite the lack of coaching experience. Given how well UW’s secondary played in 2016 and how often the players raved about his ability to teach the game, Chryst surely sees a bright future for Leonhard.

Is the future now?

Tibesar, who has done outstanding work with his position group in two seasons at UW, has served as defensive coordinator at Purdue, Montreal of the Canadian Football League and North Dakota.

He applied for the defensive coordinator position last winter after Aranda left.

Chryst probably wouldn’t be opposed to rewarding both assistants and going with co-coordinators. He surely has a list of potential outside candidates but here are two intriguing names :

Todd Orlando and Jay Sawvel.

Orlando, who played linebacker at UW in the 1990s, recently followed Tom Herman from Houston to Texas.

The odds of prying Orlando away from the Longhorns? Probably less than nil, but Chryst's phone bills are covered by the UW athletic department so a phone call wouldn't hurt.

Sawvel recently lost his job as Minnesota’s defensive coordinator after P.J. Fleck was hired as head coach. Fleck is reportedly bringing in Robb Smith, who was the defensive coordinator at Arkansas for the last three seasons. Smith's first season went well as the Razorbacks finished 10th nationally in points allowed (19.0 per game) but the Razorbacks slumped to 85th nationally this season (31.1 ppg.).

Sawvel coached Minnesota's defensive backs and special teams from 2011-’15 before taking over as defensive coordinator last season. The Gophers allowed 22.1 points per game. That was the No. 5 mark in the Big Ten and Minnesota’s best mark since the 2003 team allowed 21.9 points per game.


The Gophers capped the season with a 17-12 victory over Washington State in the Holiday Bowl. Minnesota held the Cougars to their lowest point total of the season.

Another possible option involves former UW assistant Charlie Partridge, who was the head coach at Florida Atlantic for the past three seasons before being fired in November.

Partridge coached linebackers in his final season at Pittsburgh (2007) before coming to UW. He coached at UW for five seasons, with his primary responsibility the defensive line. Partridge and Chryst worked together at UW for four seasons (2008-'11). Partridge was a solid recruiter and had a reputation for being able to teach the game to his players.

If Chryst decides he already has Wilcox's replacement on the current staff, perhaps Partridge could return to UW to coach inside linebackers. It is no secret Partridge enjoyed his time at UW and wanted to stay when Gary Andersen was hired before the 2013 season.

Expect Chryst to work quietly behind the scenes until he has the staff solidified. He went outside the staff last winter, but this time he has more options on the current staff.
My friend asked me if I wanted a frozen banana, I said "No, but I want a regular banana later, so, yeah."
jakecronus8
RealGM
Posts: 10,501
And1: 2,956
Joined: Feb 06, 2006
     

Re: 2017 Badger Football 

Post#3 » by jakecronus8 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:45 pm

Excited to see Shaw as the lead back. Even with losing Ramcyzk that OL is gonna be beastly. Defense will be very experienced as well despite losing Watt and Biegel. With that schedule anything less than other B10 title game appearance would be disappointing.
Hardcore Bucks fan podcast. @BuckLifePodcast on Twitter. Available on iTunes, Stitcher, and YouTube.
User avatar
Lippo
Veteran
Posts: 2,756
And1: 180
Joined: Jun 15, 2006

Re: 2017 Badger Football 

Post#4 » by Lippo » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:50 am

HKPackFan wrote:7 Mid year Enrollees enter program.

Hopefully Horni has some QB competition.

Crazy, I lived in Pembroke Pines, FL for a few years. It's a suburb of Fort Lauderdale. WI is a long way away.

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2017/1/11/14246342/wisconsin-football-recruiting-midyear-enrollees-jack-coan-kayden-lyles?hl=1&noRedirect=1

The Wisconsin Badgers welcomed seven mid-year enrollees to their football program, the athletic department announced via Twitter on Wednesday afternoon. As the players are now on campus, they will be able to practice and condition with the team.

Athlete Deron Harrell was a member of the class of 2016 but greyshirted, meaning he did not enroll in the fall but would join the program starting in the spring semester. He could play either wide receiver or cornerback.

The son of former Florida State Seminole Damian Harrell, the 6’3, 175-pound commit originally committed to Wisconsin back in late January of last year. He was rated as a three-star recruit by 247Sports’ composite rankings.

Read on Twitter


Six of the seven players are for the incoming class of 2017, part of the 16 known Wisconsin verbal commitments as of time of publishing. They include the following:

Sayville, N.Y., quarterback Jack Coan – three-star commit according to 247Sports composite rankings (four star by Rivals); No. 21 pro-style quarterback in the nation (No. 12 by Rivals); No. 3 player in state of New York (No. 237 nationally by Rivals)
East Forsyth, N.C., cornerback Madison Cone – three-star commit according to 247Sports composite rankings; No. 128 cornerback in the nation
Bolingbrook, Ill., defensive end/outside linebacker Izayah Green-May – three-star commit according to 247Sports composite rankings; No. 37 weak-side defensive end in the nation
Pembroke Pines, Fla. cornerback Faion Hicks – three-star commit according to 247Sports composite rankings; No. 181 cornerback in the nation
Middleton, Wis. offensive lineman Kayden Lyles – four-star commit; No. 12 offensive guard in the nation according to 247Sports composite rankings; No. 211 overall (No. 149 overall by Rivals); No. 1 player in the state of Wisconsin
Rock Valley, Ia., outside linebacker Andrew Van Ginkel – junior college transfer from Iowa Western Community College; three-star commit according to 247Sports composite rankings(four-star by Rivals)

Lyles joins his older brother, quarterback Kare’, as early enrollees. Kare’ joined the team in spring 2016. Both are sons of former Wisconsin tight end Kevin Lyles.

Mid-year enrollees in recent years who have found significant time on the playing field include quarterbacks Joel Stave and Alex Hornibrook, offensive linemen Jon Dietzen and Michael Deiter, tight end Kyle Penniston and cornerback Sojourn Shelton.

Check in with B5Q for their full recruiting profiles and more news as we approach National Signing Day on Wednesday, Feb. 1.


Malik Zaire Will be our QB
User avatar
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
Posts: 23,324
And1: 746
Joined: Jun 17, 2005
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

2017 Badger Football 

Post#5 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:00 am

Lippo wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:7 Mid year Enrollees enter program.

Hopefully Horni has some QB competition.

Crazy, I lived in Pembroke Pines, FL for a few years. It's a suburb of Fort Lauderdale. WI is a long way away.

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2017/1/11/14246342/wisconsin-football-recruiting-midyear-enrollees-jack-coan-kayden-lyles?hl=1&noRedirect=1

The Wisconsin Badgers welcomed seven mid-year enrollees to their football program, the athletic department announced via Twitter on Wednesday afternoon. As the players are now on campus, they will be able to practice and condition with the team.

Athlete Deron Harrell was a member of the class of 2016 but greyshirted, meaning he did not enroll in the fall but would join the program starting in the spring semester. He could play either wide receiver or cornerback.

The son of former Florida State Seminole Damian Harrell, the 6’3, 175-pound commit originally committed to Wisconsin back in late January of last year. He was rated as a three-star recruit by 247Sports’ composite rankings.

Read on Twitter


Six of the seven players are for the incoming class of 2017, part of the 16 known Wisconsin verbal commitments as of time of publishing. They include the following:

Sayville, N.Y., quarterback Jack Coan – three-star commit according to 247Sports composite rankings (four star by Rivals); No. 21 pro-style quarterback in the nation (No. 12 by Rivals); No. 3 player in state of New York (No. 237 nationally by Rivals)
East Forsyth, N.C., cornerback Madison Cone – three-star commit according to 247Sports composite rankings; No. 128 cornerback in the nation
Bolingbrook, Ill., defensive end/outside linebacker Izayah Green-May – three-star commit according to 247Sports composite rankings; No. 37 weak-side defensive end in the nation
Pembroke Pines, Fla. cornerback Faion Hicks – three-star commit according to 247Sports composite rankings; No. 181 cornerback in the nation
Middleton, Wis. offensive lineman Kayden Lyles – four-star commit; No. 12 offensive guard in the nation according to 247Sports composite rankings; No. 211 overall (No. 149 overall by Rivals); No. 1 player in the state of Wisconsin
Rock Valley, Ia., outside linebacker Andrew Van Ginkel – junior college transfer from Iowa Western Community College; three-star commit according to 247Sports composite rankings(four-star by Rivals)

Lyles joins his older brother, quarterback Kare’, as early enrollees. Kare’ joined the team in spring 2016. Both are sons of former Wisconsin tight end Kevin Lyles.

Mid-year enrollees in recent years who have found significant time on the playing field include quarterbacks Joel Stave and Alex Hornibrook, offensive linemen Jon Dietzen and Michael Deiter, tight end Kyle Penniston and cornerback Sojourn Shelton.

Check in with B5Q for their full recruiting profiles and more news as we approach National Signing Day on Wednesday, Feb. 1.


Malik Zaire Will be our QB


Once Trubisky went pro, the Badgers gave their last schollie to a safety. UNC is the known destination. Maybe Florida
User avatar
Lippo
Veteran
Posts: 2,756
And1: 180
Joined: Jun 15, 2006

Re: 2017 Badger Football 

Post#6 » by Lippo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:53 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
Lippo wrote:
HKPackFan wrote:7 Mid year Enrollees enter program.

Hopefully Horni has some QB competition.

Crazy, I lived in Pembroke Pines, FL for a few years. It's a suburb of Fort Lauderdale. WI is a long way away.

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2017/1/11/14246342/wisconsin-football-recruiting-midyear-enrollees-jack-coan-kayden-lyles?hl=1&noRedirect=1



Malik Zaire Will be our QB


Once Trubisky went pro, the Badgers gave their last schollie to a safety. UNC is the known destination. Maybe Florida


Malik Zaire Will be our QB


Keep saying it, it will become true..... no more Horni plzzz
jakecronus8
RealGM
Posts: 10,501
And1: 2,956
Joined: Feb 06, 2006
     

Re: 2017 Badger Football 

Post#7 » by jakecronus8 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:55 pm

Horni with more seasoning will be alright. Do what they do best, which is ball control and not turn it over. He's capable of that.
Hardcore Bucks fan podcast. @BuckLifePodcast on Twitter. Available on iTunes, Stitcher, and YouTube.
User avatar
Lippo
Veteran
Posts: 2,756
And1: 180
Joined: Jun 15, 2006

Re: 2017 Badger Football 

Post#8 » by Lippo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:58 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:Horni with more seasoning will be alright. Do what they do best, which is ball control and not turn it over. He's capable of that.


Hmm, I would really like to have a chance to win a national title, has a QB as bad as AH ever done that?
11-2 and #6 isn't the goal, or maybe it is....
jakecronus8
RealGM
Posts: 10,501
And1: 2,956
Joined: Feb 06, 2006
     

Re: 2017 Badger Football 

Post#9 » by jakecronus8 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:00 pm

Lippo wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:Horni with more seasoning will be alright. Do what they do best, which is ball control and not turn it over. He's capable of that.


Hmm, I would really like to have a chance to win a national title, has a QB as bad as AH ever done that?
11-2 and #6 isn't the goal, or maybe it is....


Relax, Bart. You don't have any eligibility left.

ETA: Alabama wins the title almost every year with garbo at QB.
Hardcore Bucks fan podcast. @BuckLifePodcast on Twitter. Available on iTunes, Stitcher, and YouTube.
User avatar
Lippo
Veteran
Posts: 2,756
And1: 180
Joined: Jun 15, 2006

Re: 2017 Badger Football 

Post#10 » by Lippo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:01 pm

Lippo wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:Horni with more seasoning will be alright. Do what they do best, which is ball control and not turn it over. He's capable of that.


Horni plays like a seasoned vet, his issues are an arm that has trouble throwing the ball 50 yards.....floaters galor...

Hmm, I would really like to have a chance to win a national title, has a QB as bad as AH ever done that?
11-2 and #6 isn't the goal, or maybe it is....
User avatar
Lippo
Veteran
Posts: 2,756
And1: 180
Joined: Jun 15, 2006

Re: 2017 Badger Football 

Post#11 » by Lippo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:02 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:
Lippo wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:Horni with more seasoning will be alright. Do what they do best, which is ball control and not turn it over. He's capable of that.


Hmm, I would really like to have a chance to win a national title, has a QB as bad as AH ever done that?
11-2 and #6 isn't the goal, or maybe it is....


Relax, Bart. You don't have any eligibility left.


:)

You noticed me posting on my cell phone on tv eh?
User avatar
Lippo
Veteran
Posts: 2,756
And1: 180
Joined: Jun 15, 2006

Re: 2017 Badger Football 

Post#12 » by Lippo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:03 pm

Bart wasn't great but Horni throws a football like Delly heaves a 3 pointer. Like a ballerina throwing a medicine ball.
User avatar
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
Posts: 23,324
And1: 746
Joined: Jun 17, 2005
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: 2017 Badger Football 

Post#13 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:15 pm

Lippo wrote:Bart wasn't great but Horni throws a football like Delly heaves a 3 pointer. Like a ballerina throwing a medicine ball.


It's possible that somebody like Coan or Lyles (probably not) will eventually emerge and beat him out. I am still higher on Horni than most...his accuracy was so good early on that I can deal with the arm strength issues. He needs to learn to move around in the pocket.

What we saw out of Houston by the end of the year was very, very good. I don't know what happens if we open pandora's box and had started him basically since the start of 2015 or even 2014. Maybe he works out his issues and he's a top-flight NFL QB by this year and we went to the 2016 playoffs. Or, perhaps, his issues with decision making still are not solved until late 2016 as they were and he adds up even more losses to our tally over the past year or two.

I honestly would not be shocked to see Houston at least have a chance to have a role with an NFL team. His skillset is really that good.
User avatar
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
Posts: 23,324
And1: 746
Joined: Jun 17, 2005
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: 2017 Badger Football 

Post#14 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:23 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:
Lippo wrote:
jakecronus8 wrote:Horni with more seasoning will be alright. Do what they do best, which is ball control and not turn it over. He's capable of that.


Hmm, I would really like to have a chance to win a national title, has a QB as bad as AH ever done that?
11-2 and #6 isn't the goal, or maybe it is....


Relax, Bart. You don't have any eligibility left.

ETA: Alabama wins the title almost every year with garbo at QB.


Agree with jake (obviously) and will also add:

We don't have the pedigree of Ohio State or Michigan and the population base is slightly worse.

Take those two out of the equation and see what you have in the Midwest: Answer: not great QBs. Iowa, Michigan State, and Wisconsin do the best they can with developing the 3-star types and have done fairly well. Northwestern isn't bad at it. Most of these other schools that try to shoot for talented QBs or try to get dual-threat QBs from elsewhere in the country end up falling flat on their faces.

Long story short: Being #6 while developing pro-style QBs at Wisconsin isn't that bad. If you want to try to be something that doesn't fit the region (Minnesota's previous coaching regimes, Indiana to an extent, Illinois, etc.) you're going to end up with a lot of **** seasons mixed in.
User avatar
Lippo
Veteran
Posts: 2,756
And1: 180
Joined: Jun 15, 2006

Re: 2017 Badger Football 

Post#15 » by Lippo » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:01 pm

We just need to sell the whole " You can be the next Russell Wilson " before it becomes a distant memory.

Truth be told I really became a Bart Houston fan simply because the school he came from, being probably the highest QB recruit in my lifetime. and his High School success. Think they went undefeated for like 10 years in California (just checked 151 game winning streak)
The movie "When The Game Stand Tall" goes into it...
Its like the NFL drafting Tide players, winning breeds winning.

Bart had 25 game winning streak there
http://www.maxpreps.com/news/BE5frnc1EeCkhgAcxJSkrA/de-la-salle-quarterback-bart-houston-picks-wisconsin.htm

He was the 3rd highest ranked QB in the nation that year.
http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/bart-houston/riWYPvTtEeKZ5AAmVebBJg/gendersport/football-stats.htm
User avatar
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
Posts: 23,324
And1: 746
Joined: Jun 17, 2005
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: 2017 Badger Football 

Post#16 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:12 pm

Lippo wrote:We just need to sell the whole " You can be the next Russell Wilson " before it becomes a distant memory.

Truth be told I really became a Bart Houston fan simply because the school he came from, being probably the highest QB recruit in my lifetime. and his High School success. Think they went undefeated for like 10 years in California (just checked 151 game winning streak)
The movie "When The Game Stand Tall" goes into it...
Its like the NFL drafting Tide players, winning breeds winning.

Bart was 25-0 as a starter there
http://www.maxpreps.com/news/BE5frnc1EeCkhgAcxJSkrA/de-la-salle-quarterback-bart-houston-picks-wisconsin.htm


Didn't they basically run a double wing/wing T formation there? I haven't seen the movie, but I am pretty sure my HS had taken some elements of their offense.

And trust me...I'm sure they're selling "you can be the next Russell Wilson" and the guys are still talked out of it to go throw the ball 65 times/game at Oklahoma State.
User avatar
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
Posts: 18,838
And1: 1,412
Joined: Oct 27, 2005
Location: Madison
   

Re: 2017 Badger Football 

Post#17 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:54 pm

The "you can be the next Russell Wilson" is probably more effective with the grad transfer types since Wilson wasn't really developed at Wisconsin, he just stepped into a situation where the team was very good, but lacking a good/great QB. Wisconsin has not had a lot of success developing HS kids into elite, NFL-drafted QBs (but not many programs have).
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
User avatar
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
Posts: 23,324
And1: 746
Joined: Jun 17, 2005
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: 2017 Badger Football 

Post#18 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:00 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:The "you can be the next Russell Wilson" is probably more effective with the grad transfer types since Wilson wasn't really developed at Wisconsin, he just stepped into a situation where the team was very good, but lacking a good/great QB. Wisconsin has not had a lot of success developing HS kids into elite, NFL-drafted QBs (but not many programs have).

I think the suggestion is - hey, look what happened last time we got a talented dual-threat guy in our pro-style offense. Wilson may not have been developed at UW, but he definitely became a finished product under Chryst and nearly unstoppable in that offense. Look at how his numbers improved. I'm generally not a homer about this stuff, but he became the NFL QB that he is under that tutelage. Maybe it was just extra maturity and playing in a more talented offense, but his decision-making seemed to be vastly improved.

I'm totally aware of the reasons why good QBs will never come to UW and will never expect it, but I think the point was to say, "look at what a really good QB can do in our system."

Also, they've probably put more clipboard-holding QBs + Wilson in the NFL than other teams do with similar talent due to the pro-style offense since Alvarez took over. Obviously, you're talking about high draft picks, though...which yeah, they have not done.
User avatar
MikeIsGood
RealGM
Posts: 21,735
And1: 467
Joined: Jul 10, 2003
Location: Vamos Rafa
     

Re: 2017 Badger Football 

Post#19 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Feb 1, 2017 8:30 pm

Danny Davis committed. Nice signing day-get for UW (4 star WR, Rivals 100).
User avatar
Mags FTW
RealGM
Posts: 26,704
And1: 1,897
Joined: Feb 16, 2006
Location: Flickin' It

Re: 2017 Badger Football 

Post#20 » by Mags FTW » Thu Feb 2, 2017 7:03 am

ESPN has UW 40th in their recruiting class ranking. That's behind OSU, Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska, Maryland, and MSU. Also behind Duke(!).

Blah
UW Head Football Coach Gary Anderson wrote:I don't know that.

Return to Green Bay Packers