ImageImageImage

Texans fire Gary Kubiak

Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Texans fire Gary Kubiak 

Post#1 » by Slava » Fri Dec 6, 2013 5:52 pm

The Houston Texans have fired Gary Kubiak.

The Texans have been one of the NFL's best teams over the past few seasons, but completely fell off in 2013 on an 11-game losing streak.

The Texans will be a coveted job by head coaching candidates due to the presence of strong foundational pieces such as J.J. Watt, Duane Brown and Brian Cushing, along with strong ownership and a high draft pick.

Wade Philips will finish the season as interim head coach of the Texans.

WIretap
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Re: Texans fire Gary Kubiak 

Post#2 » by Mr. E » Fri Dec 6, 2013 6:07 pm

I have to admit that I am surprised by the timing of this. I thought for sure that McNair would fire him, but not until after the season.

Some things of note in the press conference:

1) Rick Smith is still the GM of the franchise. I am not really pleased about that.

2) They would not discuss possible coaches other than to say that Wade Smith would get consideration.

3) They did point out that any potential coaches must have NFL experience (so no Art Briles, Kevin Sumlin, etc.)

4) Case Keenum will be the starter for the remainder of the season. McNair made a comment that he needed a "fair shot" to succeed. Pretty curious wording there.

McNair sounding like a man at a funeral. You know that this had to be a very tough call for him considering how close he is to Kubiak. I'm hoping that Kubiak takes some time off to really recuperate. He should have no problem finding a new job. Maybe not a head coaching gig right away, but I'm sure that he'll have interested parties.

So what's next for the Texans?
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Mr. E » Fri Dec 6, 2013 6:32 pm

I'll start with the Usual Suspects:

Bill Cowher
Lovie Smith
John Gruden

Which names am I missing? You know - the guys who always come up for every vacancy?

For the ones mentioned - do any of them come here without say in who the GM is and how decisions are made?
- Winston Churchill
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#4 » by Slava » Fri Dec 6, 2013 6:41 pm

Don't think Texans will have trouble finding a top candidate, this is still a solid team at the core with Watt, Cushing, Dre, Manning, Foster etc and a #1 draft pick coming up and Houston is a lovely city with good property values.

The team might rebound much faster and surprise people like the Colts.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#5 » by Nebula1 » Fri Dec 6, 2013 7:54 pm

Cowher and Co. haven't coached in a long, long time. I'd only look at Gruden from that list.

So far my first pick is Rex Ryan after he's gone, but I haven't thought about it much.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Mr. E » Fri Dec 6, 2013 8:25 pm

Special Teams coach Joe Marciano has been fired as well.
- Winston Churchill
zapatasblood
General Manager
And1: 580

Post#7 » by zapatasblood » Fri Dec 6, 2013 10:51 pm

Mr. E wrote:I'll start with the Usual Suspects:

Bill Cowher
Lovie Smith
John Gruden

Which names am I missing? You know - the guys who always come up for every vacancy?

For the ones mentioned - do any of them come here without say in who the GM is and how decisions are made?

No to Cowher. He has been out for too long.
No to Lovie this team needs something that Lovie does not have. It needs an OC to take to coaching reins or somebody that does not believe in run first.
No to Gruden the guy is an overrated and a jacka$$. The Tampa Bay locker room turned on him quickly.

Me I will go with any of the Seattle coordinators or someone in College. My brother keeps talking about Texas A&M head coach, can't believe I forgot his damn name.

Really do not want to hire any retread coaches.
Light beer is for pregnant woman and children
"How sweet it is!" -Gene Peterson
And you never once paid for drugs Not once
zapatasblood
General Manager
And1: 580

Post#8 » by zapatasblood » Fri Dec 6, 2013 10:53 pm

SlavaMedvedenko wrote:Don't think Texans will have trouble finding a top candidate, this is still a solid team at the core with Watt, Cushing, Dre, Manning, Foster etc and a #1 draft pick coming up and Houston is a lovely city with good property values.

The team might rebound much faster and surprise people like the Colts.

I don't expect Manning to be on this team next season.
Light beer is for pregnant woman and children
"How sweet it is!" -Gene Peterson
And you never once paid for drugs Not once
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Mr. E » Sat Dec 7, 2013 12:56 am

zapatasblood wrote:Me I will go with any of the Seattle coordinators or someone in College. My brother keeps talking about Texas A&M head coach, can't believe I forgot his damn name.

Kevin Sumlin.

McNair specifically said that any candidate would have NFL experience. That removes guys like Sumlin & Art Briles.

Man...University of Houston is a Coaching Factory! :lol:
- Winston Churchill
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#10 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sat Dec 7, 2013 1:32 am

Mr. E wrote:Special Teams coach Joe Marciano has been fired as well.

It's about **** time, thank titties they got rid of his worthless ass and not just Kubiak.

I don't even recall the Texans ever having a special teams that wasn't mediocre. How he kept his job for this long is pretty amazing.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#11 » by inquisitive » Sat Dec 7, 2013 5:17 am

They can at least do the coaching search now with time to look at the best candidates and get a staff assembled quickly once they hire a coach instead of waiting till offseason. McNair said that he wanted a coach with NFL experience so it appears Sumlin and Shaw won't be considered which alot of fans keep mentioning. I prefer Gruden and also the fact that he is still analyzing players and teams while Cowher is just watching games like a fan for the NFL show, thus not quite in tune like Gruden.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#12 » by inquisitive » Sat Dec 7, 2013 5:20 am

Mr. E wrote:I have to admit that I am surprised by the timing of this. I thought for sure that McNair would fire him, but not until after the season.

Some things of note in the press conference:

1) Rick Smith is still the GM of the franchise. I am not really pleased about that.

2) They would not discuss possible coaches other than to say that Wade Smith would get consideration.

3) They did point out that any potential coaches must have NFL experience (so no Art Briles, Kevin Sumlin, etc.)

4) Case Keenum will be the starter for the remainder of the season. McNair made a comment that he needed a "fair shot" to succeed. Pretty curious wording there.

McNair sounding like a man at a funeral. You know that this had to be a very tough call for him considering how close he is to Kubiak. I'm hoping that Kubiak takes some time off to really recuperate. He should have no problem finding a new job. Maybe not a head coaching gig right away, but I'm sure that he'll have interested parties.

So what's next for the Texans?

I can't see any team hiring Kubiak as a head coach, but as offensive coordinator, he should be able to get a job doing that.
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI

Return to Houston Texans