ImageImageImage

With the first pick of the 2014 NFL Draft...

Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

With the first pick of the 2014 NFL Draft... 

Post#1 » by Mr. E » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:45 pm

The Houston Texans select...

Bridgewater?

Clowney?

Trade down?
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Re: With the first pick of the 2014 NFL Draft... 

Post#2 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:16 pm

Trade down and get as many picks as possible and focus on the O/D-Lines and the secondary.

If they're going to grab a QB I'd prefer Bridgewater to any of the other names being thrown around, but even then they need to really focus on improving that O-Line and the defense. I'm just not sure he or any of the other guys(Clowney) are worth a #1 overall pick.

14 losses in a row, way to go guys! I am genuinely impressed by such mediocrity.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Mr. E » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:32 am

Mediocrity?

I wish that our team could be considered mediocre. They were just flat-out awful.
- Winston Churchill
zapatasblood
General Manager
And1: 580

Post#4 » by zapatasblood » Tue Jan 7, 2014 4:45 am

Not sold on Bridgwater even thou I know nothing about him. Hear that he is skinny and has small hands for a QB. The Blake kid is interesting but you go that way then you trade down or just trade down anyways. Not sure about Clowney either or using the number one overall pick on a right tackle. Just wish the QB for Oregon came out.

Trading down seems best
Light beer is for pregnant woman and children
"How sweet it is!" -Gene Peterson
And you never once paid for drugs Not once
zapatasblood
General Manager

Post#5 » by zapatasblood » Tue Jan 7, 2014 4:46 am

Love Johnny Football but he is just tiny. Not small like Wilson but small like Vick and the way he plays he will not last a full season just ask Vick
tha_rock220
General Manager
And1: 564

Post#6 » by tha_rock220 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:37 pm

This is not a draft where a QB should be taken with the first pick. Draft Clowney. The secondary will be better once Joseph and Manning get healthy and Swearinger improves. They can find offensive linemen elsewhere in the draft.

Clowney is an NFL prospect you rarely see. The Texans are sticking with the 3-4 so he can either line up at the end or play outside linebacker. He's not big enough to play inside like Watt, but the two of them combined will form an awesome passrush.
Luv those Knicks wrote:you were right
zapatasblood
General Manager

Post#7 » by zapatasblood » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:42 pm

tha_rock220 wrote:This is not a draft where a QB should be taken with the first pick. Draft Clowney. The secondary will be better once Joseph and Manning get healthy and Swearinger improves. They can find offensive linemen elsewhere in the draft.

Clowney is an NFL prospect you rarely see. The Texans are sticking with the 3-4 so he can either line up at the end or play outside linebacker. He's not big enough to play inside like Watt, but the two of them combined will form an awesome passrush.

One of Manning or Joseph will be cut. My best bet Joseph with the amount of money he is making and the sharp decline in play. Wouldnot be surprised if Manning is cut also since he has broken his same leg twice in two seasons.

Pass on Clowney he can only play DE in the NFL and he is just to small to play on the line in a 3-4.

Just rather trade down
tha_rock220
General Manager

Post#8 » by tha_rock220 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:03 pm

zapatasblood wrote:
tha_rock220 wrote:This is not a draft where a QB should be taken with the first pick. Draft Clowney. The secondary will be better once Joseph and Manning get healthy and Swearinger improves. They can find offensive linemen elsewhere in the draft.

One of Manning or Joseph will be cut. My best bet Joseph with the amount of money he is making and the sharp decline in play. Wouldnot be surprised if Manning is cut also since he has broken his same leg twice in two seasons.

Pass on Clowney he can only play DE in the NFL and he is just to small to play on the line in a 3-4.

Just rather trade down

Why can he only play DE??? I think he'd manage, but he'll be able to play linebacker as well.

If Manning and Joseph get cut, then that will leave them without much of a secondary. That means they're rebuilding. Might as well cut Johnson too then.
zapatasblood
General Manager

Post#9 » by zapatasblood » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:22 pm

tha_rock220 wrote:
zapatasblood wrote:

Just rather trade down

Why can he only play DE??? I think he'd manage, but he'll be able to play linebacker as well.

If Manning and Joseph get cut, then that will leave them without much of a secondary. That means they're rebuilding. Might as well cut Johnson too then.

They are cap strapped. And they will need to begin to looking for cheaper options now before Watt is due fot his massive extension the following offseason. I think they have to make those since I believe if they don't do it now they might be locked into their money.

Clowney in only a DE. Best suited to play with his hand in the dirt. He has the perfect body to be a 4-3 DE not a 3-4 outside linebacker and is 20-25 pounds to lite to play a DE in a 3-4. He has played his whole college career playing with his hand in the dirt and moving him now would be a mistake.

Anyways this team needs to rebuild. They were not one or two players away. Or a QB away or a great head coach. Injury may have been a problem but in large part it showed how shallow in talent the Texans were. Also all teams face injuries throughout the season. The Texans lacked talented plain and simple. They have no pass rush, the OL sucked, secondary was bad along with many others
tha_rock220
General Manager

Post#10 » by tha_rock220 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:45 pm

zapatasblood wrote:They are cap strapped. And they will need to begin to looking for cheaper options now before Watt is due fot his massive extension the following offseason. I think they have to make those since I believe if they don't do it now they might be locked into their money.

Clowney in only a DE. Best suited to play with his hand in the dirt. He has the perfect body to be a 4-3 DE not a 3-4 outside linebacker and is 20-25 pounds to lite to play a DE in a 3-4. He has played his whole college career playing with his hand in the dirt and moving him now would be a mistake.

Anyways this team needs to rebuild. They were not one or two players away. Or a QB away or a great head coach. Injury may have been a problem but in large part it showed how shallow in talent the Texans were. Also all teams face injuries throughout the season. The Texans lacked talented plain and simple. They have no pass rush, the OL sucked, secondary was bad along with many others

The cap situation isn't going away anytime soon. Like I said, might as well cut Andre if this is the case. He's 32, he's the highest paid player on the roster, and he's not going to want to go through another 6 years of losing.

As for Clowney switching positions, he would hardly be the first college DE to switch to linebacker in the NFL. Most recently, Aldon Smith did just that and has made the adjustment very well.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#11 » by inquisitive » Wed Mar 5, 2014 4:44 am

more talk of manziel not being the 1st pick by texans...this has been going on the past few weeks on radio and some articles..and hearing that obrien is not really impressed by manziel...btw, another article....i think they will pick clowney

http://www.csnhouston.com/football-hous ... ocid=yahoo
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
nybluemeadow
Rookie
And1: 508

Post#12 » by nybluemeadow » Thu Mar 6, 2014 6:38 pm

zapatasblood wrote:Love Johnny Football but he is just tiny. Not small like Wilson but small like Vick and the way he plays he will not last a full season just ask Vick

Steve Young is 6'1 and Drew Brees is 6'0.... i don't think it is a big deal. I always thought that the Texans could use an elite WR like Calvin or AJ Green, more than anything else. Pats are a good example of a team that really struggles because they have no elite WR. Too bad their are no great WR prospects in this year's draft.

RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#13 » by RaoulDuke79 » Thu Mar 6, 2014 11:17 pm

Watkins isn't a great WR prospect? (Not that I think we should take a WR #1 overall anyways, unless we trade down).
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
nybluemeadow
Rookie
And1: 508

Post#14 » by nybluemeadow » Fri Mar 7, 2014 12:49 am

RaoulDuke79 wrote:Watkins isn't a great WR prospect? (Not that I think we should take a WR #1 overall anyways, unless we trade down).

I wouldn't put him up there with Calvin or Green. Watkins might be a good #1, but i don't think he will ever be a top 3 WR in the NFL.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#15 » by inquisitive » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:10 pm

looks like they're going with QB...i think Bortles is the one, but i would like to see clowney here instead.....btw, derek carr isn't out of the question either...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... 04179.html
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#16 » by Nebula1 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:42 am

Manziel
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Mr. E » Wed Apr 2, 2014 1:40 pm

I still can't even begin to guess which direction they are going in.

Rick Smith has to be on the hot seat for this draft. Curious to see if he has more influence on the pick, or if O'Brien will be making that call.
- Winston Churchill
zapatasblood
General Manager

Post#18 » by zapatasblood » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:26 pm

Trade down and take Mack or stay at one and get Clowney. Hawks are chopping at the bit to get Clowney and are not afraid to trade picks to move up.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#19 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:41 pm

If they can trade down and come away with Mack + a 2nd this year + a 1st next year, then I am all for it. I don't see how they could pass that up unless they think Clowney is really the next coming of LT.

Anything less than that and I think they should just draft him(or Mack, **** Manziel and the other QB's at #1 overall) and hope he really is as amazing as all the hype.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Mr. E » Fri May 2, 2014 3:20 pm

I'm hoping that we go with Clowney or do the trade-down you guys are talking about.

I've been reading new mock drafts that have Bridgewater slipping to the late first round now. I don't think that we're going to see the "big" quarterbacks taken early on.
- Winston Churchill

Return to Houston Texans