No votes

Total votes: 2

PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

What to do with Wayne & Mathis 

Post#1 » by PR07 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:28 pm

If the team's rebuilding, which appears likely, do you re-sign these two members of the old guard who are still both valuable contributors?

In terms of football play, Wayne appears to have slowed down a tad and may have taken some plays off last season. However, he still is a good football player, see his game against the home finale against the Texans this year. Whether Manning or Luck is under center, they will need some weapons.

Mathis appears to still be playing at full speed, but with Freeney already making a ton, do you want two aged pass rushers long-term? Additionally, with a switch to a 3-4 likely, is he worth it in that role (if he can even play it)?
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Re: What to do with Wayne & Mathis 

Post#2 » by TNBT » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:01 pm

I'm not sure what the contract situations are currently for these two, but I voted "Both". However, it would have been nice to have a "Both... at the right price" option. You hit the nail on the head when you mentioned Wayne in that they are both quality vets still, but are getting older and not worth overly long or overly expensive deals. On offense, we don't have a huge pool of quality WR's and Luck will need as many reliable options as possible. On defense, yes we already have Freeney, but I think having Mathis makes his job easier and makes him more dangerous. Having two high-quality pass rushers on the field at any one time means that the other team has to account for both of them and can't load up to stop just one of them.

Return to Indianapolis Colts