6 34 (202) Mike Hart, RB, Michigan
6 37 (205) Pierre Garcon, WR, Mount Union
7 29 (236) Jamey Richard, C, Buffalo
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#2 » by PR07 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:59 am

Without a first round pick this year, it's anyone's guess what Wild Bill Polian has up his sleeve for the draft. Normally, one can guess Bill's first round pick or get close, but the rest is a toss-up as one routinely goes "Who?" at the Kelvin Hayden and Freddy Keiaho's of the world.

Primary Team Needs: WR, DE (speed rusher), LB, OG, HB, DT
FreeRon
Analyst
And1: 5

Post#3 » by FreeRon » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:30 am

Kind of a sad draft once you get past the top 8...Ugoh would have been a surefire first rounder this year, so I'm not too disappointed with our decision.
glasket
Rookie
And1: 11

Post#4 » by glasket » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:10 am

So how about that Pollack guy we drafted? Anyone know of him?
They are saying that he is a strong and intelligent player
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by PR07 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:48 am

He's regarded as one of the top centers in the draft. Dungy said he'll compete for a starting job at guard (with Dylan Gandy and maybe Charlie Johnson I'd imagine), but the Colts probably envision him as the successor to Jeff Saturday (whose contract expires at the end of the season if I'm not mistaken and could be too pricey).

I was really expecting us to go with Mario Manningham or Early Doucet at WR, but this pick makes a lot of sense even if it isn't the flashiest. We had trouble running the football late last season, and the line was a lot shabbier than we've seen it in the past. Pollak will probably not only upgrade our o-line, but he'll give us a successor to Jeff Saturday. As we know, the Colts like to develop successors before they actually need them (See: Tony Ugoh and Marlin Jackson/Kelvin Hayden).

Mike Pollak (OT)
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 299
College: Arizona State
Conference: Pac 10
Hometown: Tempe, AZ
High School: Corona del Sol
View Combine Page >>

Selected by: Indianapolis Colts
Round: 2
Pick (Overall): 28 (59)

Pick Analysis: Pollack is an athletic lineman, who projects to play center for the Colts. Though he won't start, Pollack will have an outstanding mentor in Pro Bowler Jeff Saturday. Pollack, who is actually a bit taller than Saturday, has the quickness and technique to be successful at the
Perhaps the strongest and toughest blocker in the Pac-10 Conference, the Sun Devils relied on the leader of their line to stabilize the offense up front.

Overview & Career Notes:
Despite having five starters return to the offensive line in 2007, the unit struggled, with Pollak being the lone bright spot while ASU quarterbacks were sacked 55 times.

One of the top centers in the nation, Pollak improved significantly in each of his four seasons on the field at ASU. He follows a lineage of accomplished athletes at the center position in recent years for the Sun Devils, including All-Pac-10 Conference honorees Grayling Love, Drew Hodgdon and Scott Peters.

The versatile and powerful interior lineman performed extremely well and was named to the 2007 Rimington Trophy Watch List, an award annually presented to the nation's top center. He was awarded the Tim Landers Iron Man Award, given to the Sun Devil with exemplary work ethic in the weight room, on the field or in the community. Pollak also won the Cecil Bono Team Captain Award and the Pat Tillman Award at the end of his collegiate career. He excelled in the classroom, where he was one of eight Sun Devils on the 2007 roster and one of five ASU offensive linemen to have earned his undergraduate degree prior to his final season.

Pollak attended Corona del Sol High School, where he earned two votes in The Long Beach Press-Telegram's "Best In The West" rating. He was a member of The Tacoma News Tribune's "Western 100" and rated as the eighth-best prospect in the state of Arizona by Super Prep. He added All-Region honors from Prep Star and ranked as the sixth-best offensive lineman in the West by PacWestFootball.com.

Pollak was named first-team All-Arizona by The Arizona Republic, as he also collected first-team All-City and All-Conference recognition as a senior. That year, he graded 92% for pass blocking, 86% for run blocking and generated 67 knockdowns, picking up Super All-State first-team honors on offense from the Phoenix Metro Football Magazine.

The versatile lineman played offensive guard and defensive tackle, but had not played football before coming to Corona. He was also a standout baseball pitcher, earning first-team All-Region, All-East Valley, All-Conference and honorable mention All-State accolades as a junior, playing three seasons on the baseball diamond. He also served as the captain of his baseball and football teams.

Pollak enrolled at Arizona State in 2003, spending the season competing on the scout team as an offensive guard and center. When All-Pac-10 center Drew Hodgdon was injured in fall camp, Pollak stepped in and started the team's first four games at center. He contributed to a passing offense that led the Pac-10 and ranked fifth in the nation with an average of 317.3 yards per game.

As a sophomore, Pollak played in all 12 games, starting the team's final five contests (started six total) for All-Pac-10 honoree Grayling Love, who was sidelined due to an injury. In the games in which he started, ASU averaged 510.7 yards per game in total offense and scored an average of 36.0 points per game.

In 2006, Pollak was named All-Pac-10 Conference second-team. He was chosen the team's Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman and earned Hard Hat Player honors for his efforts in the team's offseason strength and conditioning program for the third-straight season. With him in the pivot, ASU averaged 367.3 yards per game in total offense.

The Sun Devils won their first eight games under new head coach Dennis Erickson, as Pollak garnered first-team All-Pac-10 Conference honors. He allowed four of the team's 55 quarterback sacks, but generally did a steady job of protecting QB Rudy Carpenter in the pocket. ASU would go on to average 399.6 yards per game. The center would post 80 knockdowns, coming up with an impressive 15 touchdown-resulting blocks.

Pollak arrived at Arizona State in 2003 and redshirted his first year. In his first two active seasons (2004-'05), he appeared in 20 games and earned valuable experience (nine starts). Pollak solidified his place in the Sun Devils' lineup as a junior, and ended his career having made 31 consecutive starts (and played in 38 straight games). Pollak is an underrated athlete and an outstanding technician. He plays under control with very good awareness and excellent range  both in pass pro and as a run blocker. His size and strength are adequate but he's not going to overpower many defenders and we would like to see him play with a bit more of a mean streak. With that in mind, Pollak should be one of the top two centers selected in April's draft and he's worth a late-second or early-third round pick for a team employing a zone-blocking
Latrell
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,552

Post#6 » by Latrell » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:43 am

I wanted Tavares Gooden (athletic ILB from Miami) or Ahtyba Rubin (project DT with a high ceiling) so I was kinda like WTF? at this pick but I guess Jeff's getting up there in age and Pollak is a guy to groom at C for the future. Good pick.
ajizzle
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#7 » by ajizzle » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:28 am

Good, solid choice. Pollak sounds like he'll fit in nicely and be able to play center in a pinch.

I hope we grab Zbikowski w/ our next choice. We desperately need ST help, and a combo of both him and Darrell Reid would give us some jarring hits. I would like to see him bulk up a bit and play some LB, b/c we need some backups. Dungy has a history of converting safeties into good-to-great LBs (like Cato and Derrick Brooks, I think), and Big Z would fit the bill.

I know we need to find a couple of TEs, but I really like the toughness Zbikowski could bring to our beleaguered STU.
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by PR07 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:24 pm

Colts snag Philip Wheeler from Georgia Tech in Rd. 3. From what I've read, he's very athletic, good speed, and has a lot of range and isn't afraid to lay the big hit. Needs to get stronger though. He's regarded as one of the Top OLB's in this draft.
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by PR07 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:59 pm

Love the Mike Hart pick in Rd. 6! :clap: :clap:
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#10 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:23 am

As an ND fan, I can swear up and down that Wheeler is an amazing pass-rush/blitzing option from the OLB position.

3 centers, all of which will provide flexible depth along the line, two TE's to compete with Fletcher, Mike Hart at RB (a very solid pickup in the 6th round and should hopefully compete very well for the backup spot).

I don't know much about the Georgia or Mt. Union guys, but they do come from VERY solid programs and solid coaching.

One things for sure, it'll certainly be very interesting to see where all the new guys actually end up lining up in training camp. There's a lot of guys that will probably end up switching positions and we just don't know exactly where they project yet.
Miller4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 283

Post#11 » by Miller4ever » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:51 am

As an ND fan, I could swear left and right that *any* LB is an amazing pass-rush/blitzing option.

Hell, there was even that one little cornerback that levelled Jimmy Clausen in that game against Air Force (Or one of those military branches).

That being said, besides the Notre Dame game, I think Wheeler has been a solid performer, although one could fault his tackling technique at times.

I like picking Mike Hart in the 6th round.
PR07
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by PR07 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:03 am

I've seen Marcus Howard play, he can be real disruptive and will be an excellent situational pass rusher IMO.

Marcus Howard/DE/Indianapolis/5th round: Indianapolis loves their defensive linemen undersized and explosive. Howard is 6-0, runs a 4.4 and recorded 10 sacks last season.
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,111

Post#13 » by magik9113 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:28 pm

mike hart ftw
glasket
Rookie
And1: 11

Post#14 » by glasket » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:01 am

So I gues we had a good draft overall.
Just noticed the Colts singed 13 rookie free agents to compete for roster spots, so we now have 22 new guys.

It'll be interesting to see just how many make the final cut.

Return to Indianapolis Colts