MJD to Hold Out

Moderators: UCF, JaxMagic

TDJacksonville
Assistant Coach
And1: 242

MJD to Hold Out 

Post#1 » by TDJacksonville » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:43 pm

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-o ... t-thursday

Now that Jaguars owner Shad Khan has given his opinion on whether Maurice Jones-Drew deserves a new contract -- Khan is emphatic that Jones-Drew does not -- Jones-Drew's response is pretty simple: he's not showing up for training camp.

That's something we expected, and now ESPN's Adam Schefter writes that his sources say Jones-Drew will begin his holdout today. Clearly, as CBSSports.com's Mike Freeman writes, MJD is angry, and Freeman thinks he'll considering "testing the will" of the Jaguars.

Jones-Drew, as you know, signed a front-loaded five-year deal worth $30.95 million in 2009, and it seems clear that he's actually out-performed his contract (he's due $9.4 million in the final two years of that deal, though none of it is guaranteed). He's averaged 1,440 yards per season in the past three years to go with 33 combined total touchdowns.

If we're talking about a franchise running back's worth -- not to mention a running back who led the league in rushing last season -- $9.4 million in two years would make MJD underpaid.

But then Khan said this Wednesday.

"There's no decision here,” Khan told the Florida Times-Union. "It's his choice. There's been very little for us to do rather than wait on whatever he might choose to do.”

In other words, no new deal. So, Jones-Drew will use whatever leverage he's got and not show up to training camp. For a 27-year old guy who's quite possibly trying to capture one last big contract in his career, it's not a bad play. But unless Khan is bluffing, this could become an ugly situation and one that does not turn out well for Jones-Drew.

have fun staying away from teamates MJD. really showing how much of a NONE LEADER you are.
Trailblazers
PG:
SG:
F:
F:
C:
Wzajan89 @ gmail . com
Jaxfann
Senior
And1: 40

Re: MJD to Hold Out 

Post#2 » by Jaxfann » Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:28 am

Still - holding out!

I think they will work something out shortly (based on performance) so he can come back and loose "less face" than he has already lost.
C-Dub47
Junior
And1: 233

Post#3 » by C-Dub47 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:28 pm

This is really too bad, I hate when players do this.
Duke4life831 wrote:Winslow > Wiggins
Jaxfann
Senior

Post#4 » by Jaxfann » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:59 pm

C-Dub47 wrote:This is really too bad, I hate when players do this.

Great to get a response on this blog - the lack of traffic is a shame as it is interesting, fun and very well supported on the Orlando Magic NBA site.

Anyway - I've been let down in season's past by good pre-season showings but I must admit that what I have seen from Gabbert / Blackmon / Jennings so far has me optimistic for this season especially if the new coach turns out to be better (the second time around) than he was at Buffalo.

I will be checking this site as the season progresses and hope that we have some fellow contributors!

Go Jags.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#5 » by [RCG] » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:44 pm

What would it take to trade for him?

I think he'd be a perfect fit for the Packers and they could afford to offer either James Starks or Cedric Benson plus James Jones and a 2nd or 3rd rd pick.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Jaxfann
Senior

Post#6 » by Jaxfann » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:31 am

[RCG] wrote:What would it take to trade for him?

I think he'd be a perfect fit for the Packers and they could afford to offer either James Starks or Cedric Benson plus James Jones and a 2nd or 3rd rd pick.

I don't have any trade suggestions but I think a good trade would be a good idea as whatever we might work out to get him to return - we might well be getting a disgruntled player in a key position as i am sure it will not be what he was hoping for - if we can get equal talent or close to it in a trade i say - do it.
TDJacksonville
Assistant Coach
And1: 242

Post#7 » by TDJacksonville » Sun Sep 9, 2012 4:33 am

[RCG] wrote:What would it take to trade for him?

id trade him for a 1st, newhouse.

we dont really have a need for JJ and i like our RBs more than Starks and Benson(who doesnt fit Clean Gene anyway).

jags need to get a bit better on the oline and im sure the packers would be fine with trading him and a first for him. they would be Championship contendors with the Best offense in the league
Trailblazers
PG:
SG:
F:
F:
C:
Wzajan89 @ gmail . com

Return to Jacksonville Jaguars