ImageImageImage

Miami Dolphins/Miami Marlins Thread

LEIF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 921
Location: Charleston, SC. Born and raised in The City of North Miami.

Miami Dolphins/Miami Marlins Thread 

Post#1 » by LEIF » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:47 pm

As free agency began yesterday, I figured a thread dedicated to the Phins was necessary.

Manning looks like a long shot but guys like Matt Flynn, Eric Winston, Laurent Robinson etc are in play.

I personally like the idea of signing Matt Flynn. If Philbin is willing to risk his head coaching gig on Flynn then I am on board.

I think today we will hear some significant news.

Follow me on Twitter @Lefty_Leif
Butterss
Banned User
And1: 4

Re: Miami Dolphins Thread 

Post#2 » by Butterss » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:54 pm

Right now, I would just be happy if they can get Winston and Flynn, and then somehow get Blackmon in the draft.
FlashTheKilla
Lead Assistant
And1: 64

Post#3 » by FlashTheKilla » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:23 pm

Butterss wrote:Right now, I would just be happy if they can get Winston and Flynn, and then somehow get Blackmon in the draft.

I'll take that. I'm willing to roll the dice (no Dwight) with Flynn one year.

Too bad I have zero faith in the Dolphins FO to pull off a solid offseason like that.
LEIF
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 921
Location: Charleston, SC. Born and raised in The City of North Miami.

Post#4 » by LEIF » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:35 pm

reports are Flynn is heading to visit Seattle. If seattle were to nab Flynn, Manning obviously goes elsewhere and then Browns draft Tannehill, who are we left with? I hate to think the worst but I think we all can agree that is how Dolphin fans should always prepare.

Follow me on Twitter @Lefty_Leif
CablexDeadpool
Head Coach
And1: 1,686

Post#5 » by CablexDeadpool » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:13 pm

LEIF wrote:reports are Flynn is heading to visit Seattle. If seattle were to nab Flynn, Manning obviously goes elsewhere and then Browns draft Tannehill, who are we left with? I hate to think the worst but I think we all can agree that is how Dolphin fans should always prepare.

They just traded brandon marshal
ken6199 wrote:A Rocket's loss really brought out the best of people. It makes me realize this forum is filled with jobless scumbags with their only intention to come hate the team they hate and realize their anger from their life/job/wife/kids or whatever.

:lol:
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,105

Post#6 » by heatwillbeback » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:35 pm

yea, trade our only talented wr, sign a olineman (Winston) to a big money contract.....sounds like the Dolphins

seriously, with an oline guru as head coach, and our offensive coordinator having an oline background, why cant we find decent steals in the 3rd, 4th rounds. Like the Packers did with Josh Sitton in round 4, Wells in round 7. Two pro bowlers

Just because we have a hole at rt does not mean we have to spend 35 million on one, which will be Winstons number. We already have one of the highest paid tackles and centers in the entire league. We always spend money on this crappy line and it gets us no where.

Seriously, spend big money on the skill players, and low end assets on the line. This team has it backwards. From the start of free agency, the new coach has changed nothing. Who the hell is this richly paid oline going to protect? Matt Moore throwing the ball to Bess and Hartline as the main weapons? Laughable franchise. Im so sick of it

/end rant.
heatwillbeback
RealGM

Post#7 » by heatwillbeback » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:36 pm

LEIF wrote:reports are Flynn is heading to visit Seattle. If seattle were to nab Flynn, Manning obviously goes elsewhere and then Browns draft Tannehill, who are we left with? I hate to think the worst but I think we all can agree that is how Dolphin fans should always prepare.

knowing Ireland's love for old players, we will be the team to draft the 28 year old Weeden and have it be an epic fail.

I truly hate this front office. Ireland needs to go. Ross also sucks, but too bad we cant get rid of him.
Moggs24
Senior
And1: 84

Post#8 » by Moggs24 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:37 pm

At this point I do not see a QB outside of Manning effecting this franchise positively. The QB's that they talk about us selecting in the draft are highly overrated and I see no reason to believe that Matt Flynn would be any better than Moore. If he comes at the right price then I would be fine bringing him in and seeing what he has, but I expect him to get overpaid and that would be a mistake.

Simply put this team just has to get better anyway they can. Take the best players available in the draft and sign the best value in free agency. Hoping for a magic solution is why we have sucked for going on 10 years now and we need to just worry about building a good franchise and then the pieces will start to fall into place. That said I have no confidence that the people in place will do any of this.
heatwillbeback
RealGM

Post#9 » by heatwillbeback » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:39 pm

Moggs24 wrote:At this point I do not see a QB outside of Manning effecting this franchise positively. The QB's that they talk about us selecting in the draft are highly overrated and I see no reason to believe that Matt Flynn would be any better than Moore. If he comes at the right price then I would be fine bringing him in and seeing what he has, but I expect him to get overpaid and that would be a mistake.

Simply put this team just has to get better anyway they can. Take the best players available in the draft and sign the best value in free agency. Hoping for a magic solution is why we have sucked for going on 10 years now and we need to just worry about building a good franchise and then the pieces will start to fall into place. That said I have no confidence that the people in place will do any of this.

Not going for it and playing it safe has doomed the franchise. Focusing on the line and not skill positions like this is the 1980's Bill Parcells era has doomed this team.

Redskins gave up a lot no doubt, but they got their guy and franchise qb for the next 12 years. They made the big move, something the Dolphins are incapable of. A franchise qb is worth more than anything, and thats the move this team is afraid to make.
CablexDeadpool
Head Coach
And1: 1,686

Post#10 » by CablexDeadpool » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:45 pm

heatwillbeback wrote:
Moggs24 wrote:At this point I do not see a QB outside of Manning effecting this franchise positively. The QB's that they talk about us selecting in the draft are highly overrated and I see no reason to believe that Matt Flynn would be any better than Moore. If he comes at the right price then I would be fine bringing him in and seeing what he has, but I expect him to get overpaid and that would be a mistake.

Not going for it and playing it safe has doomed the franchise. Focusing on the line and not skill positions like this is the 1980's Bill Parcells era has doomed this team.

Redskins gave up a lot no doubt, but they got their guy and franchise qb for the next 12 years. They made the big move, something the Dolphins are incapable of. A franchise qb is worth more than anything, and thats the move this team is afraid to make.

The dolphins probably think they gonna get Manning.

And the Redskins most likely are gonna ruin RG3...but they got their guy.

Dolphins should've tanked.
ken6199 wrote:A Rocket's loss really brought out the best of people. It makes me realize this forum is filled with jobless scumbags with their only intention to come hate the team they hate and realize their anger from their life/job/wife/kids or whatever.

:lol:
Moggs24
Senior

Post#11 » by Moggs24 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:46 pm

Yes but who is to say the RG3 is a franchise QB? I don't see any franchise QB's other than luck out there. If there was a move to make I would be all for it but right now there is no big move other than going hard for manning which it seems we are.

Every year we go for a big move that ends up being useless. It started with signing culpepper or brees, than we went after Feeley which was terrible, we signed porter to way to big a contract, and recently they trade for marshal only to trade him away for less. How about the fact we have spent 2 2nd round picks on QBs I could have guaranteed had no chance of being long term solutions in henne and the old man from ByU whose name eludes me right now. It is all good for the Redskins if RG3 pans out but I don't see it.
Moggs24
Senior

Post#12 » by Moggs24 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:47 pm

Drafting well late in drafts is the way to becoming a class franchise. That's how we got good in the late 90's and that's what we do so poorly now.
heatwillbeback
RealGM

Post#13 » by heatwillbeback » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:54 pm

Moggs24 wrote:Yes but who is to say the RG3 is a franchise QB? I don't see any franchise QB's other than luck out there. If there was a move to make I would be all for it but right now there is no big move other than going hard for manning which it seems we are.

Every year we go for a big move that ends up being useless. It started with signing culpepper or brees, than we went after Feeley which was terrible, we signed porter to way to big a contract, and recently they trade for marshal only to trade him away for less. How about the fact we have spent 2 2nd round picks on QBs I could have guaranteed had no chance of being long term solutions in henne and the old man from ByU whose name eludes me right now. It is all good for the Redskins if RG3 pans out but I don't see it.

that kind of plays into my point though

We signed Culpepper over Brees because he was cheaper. We traded a second for Feeley. We spent a second on Henne, and a second on the BYU qb, and a second on White.

In all this time, we have not drafted a first round qb. We have not traded up for a first round qb. We are going with the safe picks and the people who fall to us instead of going out and getting top talent.

RG3 might work, he might not. I beleive in him given his credentials. However, the point is Redskins went for it. They saw RG3 as their guy, and the only way to win consistently in this league is a franchise qb. Not a mid level qb, who could win one lucky year, but never consistently (Pennington).

You have to be aggressive and go get the guy you think could be that franchise qb. Its why Jacksonville traded up. Its why Ponder went at 12. Its why Tennessee took Locker eighth. If you think you have your guy, you have to pounce. There is no such thing for reaching for a potential franchise qb

This team is the same every year. Neglect the skill positions. Spend on offensive lineman. Go with the best cheap option at qb. This year is more of the same going after Winston. While he is a decent player, the last thing we should be doing is spending another 35 million on an olineman.

Our big quarterback score will be Weeden in the second. Its coming. If you have seen Ireland the past 6 years, you know it is coming. It will be sad.
Zasterror
RealGM
And1: 10,019

Post#14 » by Zasterror » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:21 pm

Dolphins FO has disappointed way too many times. I really don't trust them to make good moves anymore.
mopper8
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,868

Post#15 » by mopper8 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:26 pm

Eh, if they have a real shot at Manning, getting a top-tier o-line is arguably more important than wide outs at this point in Manning's career. Bess could catch 100 balls with Manning throwing to him, but not if Manning is on the turf 12+ times a game
DragicTime85 wrote:[Ric Bucher] has a tiny wiener and I can prove it.
Moggs24
Senior

Post#16 » by Moggs24 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:46 pm

heatwillbeback wrote:
Moggs24 wrote:Yes but who is to say the RG3 is a franchise QB? I don't see any franchise QB's other than luck out there. If there was a move to make I would be all for it but right now there is no big move other than going hard for manning which it seems we are.

that kind of plays into my point though

We signed Culpepper over Brees because he was cheaper. We traded a second for Feeley. We spent a second on Henne, and a second on the BYU qb, and a second on White.

In all this time, we have not drafted a first round qb. We have not traded up for a first round qb. We are going with the safe picks and the people who fall to us instead of going out and getting top talent.

RG3 might work, he might not. I beleive in him given his credentials. However, the point is Redskins went for it. They saw RG3 as their guy, and the only way to win consistently in this league is a franchise qb. Not a mid level qb, who could win one lucky year, but never consistently (Pennington).

You have to be aggressive and go get the guy you think could be that franchise qb. Its why Jacksonville traded up. Its why Ponder went at 12. Its why Tennessee took Locker eighth. If you think you have your guy, you have to pounce. There is no such thing for reaching for a potential franchise qb

This team is the same every year. Neglect the skill positions. Spend on offensive lineman. Go with the best cheap option at qb. This year is more of the same going after Winston. While he is a decent player, the last thing we should be doing is spending another 35 million on an olineman.

Our big quarterback score will be Weeden in the second. Its coming. If you have seen Ireland the past 6 years, you know it is coming. It will be sad.

I hear what you are saying and I some what agree with you, but to me it is more due to the instability In our franchise since Shula was fired. Every 3 years we have a new coach who has a new direction he wants to take this team. Cam Cameron thought beck was the guy, Sporano thought Henne was the guy and now it looks like Philbin is gonna put his career on the back of flynn. We need stability and we need a long term plan. We have to stop turning over coaches every 2 or 3 years.

Getting a franchise player, let a alone a QB is difficult to impossible, but let's look at the franchise QBs who are currently in the league. You have brady, brees, the 2 manning, Rodgers and maybe rothlisberger. Brady is a 7th round pick, Brees and Rodgers late first early second (all three the fins could have and should have drafted), and then the other guys are high picks. Where are all the other 1st round QBs who were taken in the first round? Most are not even in the league anymore. Point is we need a FO that can evaluate talent. It doesn't matter how Mel kiper sees guys, we need to get the right guys for our system and not reach for players. We spent three 2nd round picks on QBs over the past few years and none are on our roster that is terrible. Our drafts our terrible therefore we are terrible.
OtW
Suspended
And1: 1,860

Post#17 » by OtW » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:57 pm

Still wondering why we traded Marshall for peanuts :/.
Vertical Limit
RealGM
And1: 5,378

Post#18 » by Vertical Limit » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:08 pm

Because he slug a woman in a club the other day and he was one incident away from a year long suspension. The Bears might want to void the contract now but I think it's final now and I'm pretty sure Santonio Holmes didn't get his trade voided after hitting a woman over the head with a bottle.
jmbflame21
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#19 » by jmbflame21 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:50 pm

The Dolphins front office makes me want to vomit
Image Image
Vertical Limit
RealGM
And1: 5,378

Post#20 » by Vertical Limit » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:01 pm

Philbin is going to have to will this team to win on his own Harbaugh style in order to make us competitive cause as of right now, we're looking at Barkley.

Return to Miami Dolphins