ImageImageImage

preseason games thread - 2013

The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Re: preseason games thread - 2013 

Post#21 » by The J Rocka » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:16 pm

Worm Guts wrote:Can't feel good about how things have gone so far. I'm worried.

I thought our D looked solid early on. Ponder and the questionable play calling hasn't changed. Two important aspects in our team's success moving forward with hope for a deep playoff/superbowl run. I'm not feeling very confident either.
pjnugget
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#22 » by pjnugget » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:46 pm

I'm not convinced Ponder has even looked average. Much of what he did in San Fran was against backup and 3rd stringers, how is that going to impress anyone. I hope he is better in the regular season. If not, they have to give Cassell a shot!
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,568

Post#23 » by hermes » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:57 am

i didn't see or hear the game, anyone have any thoughts about some position battles?
hermes
RealGM

Post#24 » by hermes » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:00 am

pjnugget wrote:I'm not convinced Ponder has even looked average. Much of what he did in San Fran was against backup and 3rd stringers, how is that going to impress anyone. I hope he is better in the regular season. If not, they have to give Cassell a shot!

this probably isn't what anyone wants to hear but i think they are going to give ponder as much chance as they can to prove himself

i think the only way he is pulled is if he is tremendously abysmal for an extended time with no hope for a turn around

the thing is that if he's bad enough and the team isn't going anywhere - what is the reason for switching qbs? might as well let him finish it out
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by The J Rocka » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:27 pm

hermes wrote:i didn't see or hear the game, anyone have any thoughts about some position battles?

Sherels vs Felder should be interesting. I think Felder should make the team but Sherels played an inspiring game last night. Should be interesting.

I think Webb ends up staying but S. Burton has been fighting.

I really liked what I saw out of Banyard. He easily beats out Asiata.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by The J Rocka » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:35 pm

hermes wrote:
pjnugget wrote:I'm not convinced Ponder has even looked average. Much of what he did in San Fran was against backup and 3rd stringers, how is that going to impress anyone. I hope he is better in the regular season. If not, they have to give Cassell a shot!

this probably isn't what anyone wants to hear but i think they are going to give ponder as much chance as they can to prove himself

i think the only way he is pulled is if he is tremendously abysmal for an extended time with no hope for a turn around

the thing is that if he's bad enough and the team isn't going anywhere - what is the reason for switching qbs? might as well let him finish it out

This will be make or break season for Ponder. To me, he looks like a backup when I watch him play. If his performance early is poor 4-5 games in, Cassel will takeover.

I'll be crossing my fingers that we'll make a trade for a QB like Philip Rivers in the next year, which the Chargers might look to move if they want to go in a different direction.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,528

Post#27 » by Worm Guts » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:18 pm

The J Rocka wrote:
hermes wrote:i didn't see or hear the game, anyone have any thoughts about some position battles?

Sherels vs Felder should be interesting. I think Felder should make the team but Sherels played an inspiring game last night. Should be interesting.

If Webb has to beat out Burton to stay, he might be in trouble. Burton is the clearly more polished receiver.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by The J Rocka » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:59 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
The J Rocka wrote:

If Webb has to beat out Burton to stay, he might be in trouble. Burton is the clearly more polished receiver.

I guess I missed it (was gone for part of 2nd half) but Spielman supposedly said that they'll keep 6 WRs. I agree I like what I've seen out of Burton more so than Webb but I figured our staff would find some way to keep him on the roster.
hermes
RealGM

Post#29 » by hermes » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:36 pm

sounds like webb has shown some things on special teams, which is good considering the 5th/6th wr will probably need to do something else as well
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by The J Rocka » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:23 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/373925440752078848[/tweet]

TE Colin Anderson, RB Joe Banyard, S Brandan Bishop, OL Travis Bond, CB Brandon Burton, WR Stephen Burton, DT Everett Dawkins, S Darius Eubanks, CB Bobby Felder, TE Chase Ford, OL Brandon Keith, DT Anthony McCloud, LB Tyrone McKenzie, OL Kevin Murphy, DT Spencer Nealy, DE D’Aundre Reed, WR Rodney Smith, WR Adam Thielen, DE Collins Ukwu.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/V ... 4456d5ba13
hermes
RealGM

Post#31 » by hermes » Sun Sep 1, 2013 12:23 am

Placed OG Seth Olsen on injured reserve. Placed FB Jerome Felton and OG Demarcus Love on suspended list. Placed WR Greg Childs on physically-unable-to-perform list. Placed DT Christian Ballard on reserve/left squad list.
hermes
RealGM

Post#32 » by hermes » Sun Sep 1, 2013 12:24 am

too bad about banyard, burton and felder
Twolf16
Rookie
And1: 89

Post#33 » by Twolf16 » Sun Sep 1, 2013 3:15 am

hermes wrote:sounds like webb has shown some things on special teams, which is good considering the 5th/6th wr will probably need to do something else as well

That's what you would think but my father went to the game on Thursday and said on special teams he was slow and showed no effort, and when running his WR routes he was lackluster when the ball wasn't coming his way.

Return to Minnesota Vikings