hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,562

2014 free agency: signed vlad ducasse 

Post#1 » by hermes » Sat Jan 4, 2014 4:00 pm

free agent signings thus far:

matt cassel: 2 years, $10 million
marcus sherels: 2 years, $2.2 million
everson griffin: 5 years, $42.5 million ($20 mil guaranteed)
jasper brinkley: 1 year
larry dean
linval joseph (from nyg): 5 years, $31.5 million
joe berger: 1 year
fred evans: 1 year, $900,000 ($100k workout bonus)
captain munnerlyn (car): 3 years, $14.5 million ($7 million guaranteed)
derek cox (san diego): 1 year
jerome simpson: 1 year
charlie johnson: 2 years, $5 million
tom johnson (saints): 1 year, $845,000
corey wootton (chi): 1 year, $1.5 million
vlad ducasse (nyj): 1 year

signed elsewhere:
john carlson (arizona)
toby gerhart (jacksonville)
chris cook (san fran)
letroy guion (green bay)

cuts:
letroy guion
greg childs
erin henderson
john carlson

restructured deals
chad greenway
jamarca sanford
jerome felton
hermes
RealGM

Re: 2014 off season moves thread 

Post#2 » by hermes » Sat Jan 4, 2014 4:30 pm

aside from poor qb play i don't think the offense was bad this year, we were in most of the games, and we scored a lot of points

QB:
we need a new one, probably two - keep cassel for insurance, he's earned that. i think the other two can go. probably would be best to draft a couple guys and go through developing them because i think we want a more long term solution at the position vs a short term free agent fix

RB:
we got adrian, toby likely played well enough to get an offer from somebody for more time elsewhere (which is good for him, he deserves it and got in a bad position backing up the best in the game). asiata might have done enough to warrant him moving up to the backup role if toby leaves. then either make banyard the 3rd string or draft someone in the mid-later rounds. not too bad of shape here

FB:
fine here too, felton and zach line hold down the fort

WR:
actually think we made some great strides here and we're surprisingly well off. jennings, simpson and patterson are a good top 3 that will only get better (with patterson's improvement and a good qb). wright is solid and webb also played well when he was in there. plus we have childs waiting in the wings to get healthy. probably don't need to make any moves

TE:
got a lot of guys here too. don't remember how many we normally keep but a top 2 of rudolph and ford would be interesting. i know carlson played really while when rudolph was out before he got hurt but i don't know if he can keep it up or stay healthy. ellison is a great blocker and if we keep three he's the guy i say. how many years are left on carlson's contract, two?

C:
sullivan is fine, might look at getting a guy in there as a backup, i don't know if berger can player center or not

OG: think we need to improve here, too early for me to know anything about free agents but maybe get one and then bring in a couple guys from the draft and have them compete with baca, fusco and remmers for spots. i don't know to say whether any should be back for sure or not

OT:
kalil and loadholt are set for the long haul, although they took a step back this year i think - need to turn it around next year. webb and johnson seem to be alright backups, probably don't need to address anything here, focus on the guard spots i'd say

now defense is where it starts to get interesting i think, could be a lot of turnover on this side of the ball because i think it was the defense that cost us most of our losses

DE:
robison is in with his new deal, griffen didn't take off this year like people hoped but he'll be back. allen is the big question as to whether he wants to come back (or chase a ring) or if the vikings want him or can afford to bring him back. either way probably need to get one or two more guys. don't know if everson is ready to (or can) start and play full time

DT:
floyd will be back, thing he made some strides but has room to improve, don't know if he's ready to start yet. not sure if kevin williams is going to retire or stay or not, might be nice to have him and shariff share time again. not sure about evans, guion or baker don't know if any of them did enough to guarantee a spot next year or not. probably should draft some guys and maybe grab a guy in free agency. might need some new people in there to mix things up

LB:
greenway is a mainstay, which is nice that one stop is nailed down. what happened to bishop at the end of the year, was he hurt? henderson might not have anything guaranteed either because cole played really well in there at the end, not saying cole should be the guy in the middle going forward but nothing is firm here. maybe its time to give hodges and mauti a shot :dontknow: dean and mitchell are great on special teams

CB:
rhodes is in, need him to stay healthy because he really played well at the end and scherels is great on punt returns. i don't know about anyone else, probably could get a whole new batch in there - cook should probably be gone, its not happening with him i'd say, don't know about josh robinson either. prater might be worth keeping - he played well at times, wasn't perfect but there is room to grow i think

S:
need harrison smith to stay healthy, because we're a lot better when he's back there. blanton and sendejo had their moments but i don't know if anyone else is guaranteed to come back, lets face it - the secondary was bad this year

K:
blair had a bit of a down year, injuries i think bothered him the whole year. rest up and get healthy and i think he'll be fine

P:
locke i think did alright, average over 44 yards only 3 touchbacks and had 23 inside the 20. there is room to improve but i think he'll be alright
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#3 » by Jukeness » Sat Jan 4, 2014 7:40 pm

After drafting a quarterback in the 1st round like I would definitely expect, I think the rest of the draft should be defensive players with maybe a pick or two to the offensive line.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,512

Post#4 » by Worm Guts » Sat Jan 4, 2014 7:56 pm

We have like 25 million in cap space, so we could make some splash moves in free agency although that might not be a good idea. I think I'd look for a guard and some secondary help in free agency, then add a QB and defensive help during the draft.
Twolf16
Rookie
And1: 89

Post#5 » by Twolf16 » Sat Jan 4, 2014 8:07 pm

A guard and a safety in free agency (not many safety's in draft). Jarius Byrd and Harrison smith would rock, and Charlie Johnson and Fusco may need to go. Well at least Johnson; he has had a vs year. Qb in the first then defense all the way. Linebackers intrigue me. Cole played well, Greenway had a down season (could be from the defense being so bad or old age) and Henderson was good at times but had several illegal incidents. Plus I like Hodges, Mauti, and Dean as backups.
Twolf16
Rookie

Post#6 » by Twolf16 » Sat Jan 4, 2014 8:13 pm

TE

Carlson-let him go. Rudolph, Ford, and Ellison will do great and it frees up a good amount of cash.
hermes
RealGM

Post#7 » by hermes » Sat Jan 4, 2014 10:32 pm

what about corner back, you guys up for giving cook another shot? rhodes might be the only guy i'd keep
Jukeness
Analyst

Post#8 » by Jukeness » Sat Jan 4, 2014 11:34 pm

Yeah, I dont know about Cook anymore. He's always hurt, and lets up big plays. I thought he was pretty good at the beginning of last season, but he has fallen off. Josh Robinson also played terrible this year, thought he also played okay last year.
Twolf16
Rookie

Post#9 » by Twolf16 » Sun Jan 5, 2014 1:23 am

Cook must go and id keep Robinson for depth but he seemed to take a step back.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#10 » by The J Rocka » Mon Jan 6, 2014 12:22 am

Cook is horrid. I wouldn't mind drafting Darqueze Dennard.
Twolf16
Rookie

Post#11 » by Twolf16 » Mon Jan 6, 2014 5:41 am

I wish we had two first round picks. What do y'all think about de'anthony Thomas as a third down back? Good change of pace from AP.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#12 » by Worm Guts » Mon Jan 6, 2014 1:10 pm

I'd love Thomas a third down back, I just don't know if I'd be willing to use the type of pick we'd need to get him on a running back.
hermes
RealGM

Post#13 » by hermes » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:12 am

we signed dt kheeston randall from the bengals to a future contract

likely a guy that zimmer likes
Twolf16
Rookie

Post#14 » by Twolf16 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:58 pm

hermes wrote:we signed dt kheeston randall from the bengals to a future contract

I also wanted to all that Kevin Williams said he would really like to play for Zimmer. DT may end up not being a very big problem for us.
Jukeness
Analyst

Post#15 » by Jukeness » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:25 pm

Twolf16 wrote:
hermes wrote:we signed dt kheeston randall from the bengals to a future contract

I also wanted to all that Kevin Williams said he would really like to play for Zimmer. DT may end up not being a very big problem for us.

He should come pretty cheap also. I'm all for bringing Williams back.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#16 » by The J Rocka » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:25 am

Rumor is that we'll pursue Alterraun Verner in FA. Wouldn't mind that one bit.
Jukeness
Analyst

Post#17 » by Jukeness » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:39 am

I saw that too, although it is just a rumor. Not sure how cheap he would come though, he is entering into his prime and someone including the Titans might overpay for him.
hermes
RealGM

Post#18 » by hermes » Fri Feb 7, 2014 1:05 am

cassel opted out of his contract to test free agency, a good move for him not so great for us - we'll likely have to pay a little more to get him back
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#19 » by Worm Guts » Fri Feb 7, 2014 5:19 pm

Does Ponder stay if Cassel leaves? Right now Ponder is our only QB under contract.
hermes
RealGM

Post#20 » by hermes » Sat Feb 8, 2014 2:54 am

i wonder, because i would have guessed at the end of the year ponder was most likely getting cut but unless they trade for/sign a guy with some experience ponder could stay

i wonder how hot the market is going to be for cassel, he might be one of the better fa qbs this year

Return to Minnesota Vikings