Draft thread

Moderator: Worm Guts

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,517

Re: Draft thread 

Post#301 » by Worm Guts » Mon May 12, 2014 5:34 pm

Krapinsky wrote:McKinnon has really sneaky speed in his highlights. It doesn't even look like he's running his hardest, but he's running right by people and breaking away to the end zone.

The scouting reports I've read are kind of strange. Everyone seems to agree he's a really good runner, but I've also read that he's not that elusive, doesn't break a lot of tackles, and doesn't have breakaway speed.
From the 2 minutes of highlights I've watched, it appears he has an elite 10-15 yard burst where he blows past everyone but then he loses his stride and gets caught fairly easily.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#302 » by Worm Guts » Mon May 12, 2014 5:39 pm

Jukeness wrote:
hermes wrote:
Jukeness wrote:I think they might try to use McKinnon like KC used McCluster. I've been high on Barr for some months, so I'm very glad we got him. I also read that Crichton was great value and Yankey too, apparently both could have gone some picks earlier. No need to comment on Bridgewater, he made the whole draft.

doesn't mccluster return punts too? they already have scherels for that

Right, I doubt he'll be taking that job from Sherels. On offense I think they'll try to use him in a variety of ways, like with McCluster.

I think Sherels is cuttable if we find both better depth in the secondary and someone who can reasonably replace his punt return skills.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#303 » by Krapinsky » Mon May 12, 2014 5:43 pm

Klomp wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvqbNpH8YRg[/youtube]

Looks sure handed enough there. I'm excited for this guy.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Twolf16
Rookie
And1: 89

Post#304 » by Twolf16 » Mon May 12, 2014 6:12 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:McKinnon has really sneaky speed in his highlights. It doesn't even look like he's running his hardest, but he's running right by people and breaking away to the end zone.

The scouting reports I've read are kind of strange. Everyone seems to agree he's a really good runner, but I've also read that he's not that elusive, doesn't break a lot of tackles, and doesn't have breakaway speed.
From the 2 minutes of highlights I've watched, it appears he has an elite 10-15 yard burst where he blows past everyone but then he loses his stride and gets caught fairly easily.

I've read the same. Even in his highlights you can see him breakaway and then get caught pretty quickly. Also, he has good vision but no "shake-n-bake". Hopefully he is alright in pass protection.
White+Purple
Sixth Man
And1: 235

Post#305 » by White+Purple » Mon May 12, 2014 7:25 pm

Stoked to get Teddy; was gutted when we didn't pick him at #8. Given it's a new system I don't see why he shouldn't start from day 1; learning new systems and playing under pressure are two of his biggest attributes; and if you're investing this much in a guy why not start him?

Taking a RB has to be more of a reflection on Asiata than on McKinnon.

And you guys all seem down on Sanford; personally I can't see any of the rookies beating him out. :dontknow:
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#306 » by Jukeness » Mon May 12, 2014 8:13 pm

White+Purple wrote:Stoked to get Teddy; was gutted when we didn't pick him at #8. Given it's a new system I don't see why he shouldn't start from day 1; learning new systems and playing under pressure are two of his biggest attributes; and if you're investing this much in a guy why not start him?

Taking a RB has to be more of a reflection on Asiata than on McKinnon.

And you guys all seem down on Sanford; personally I can't see any of the rookies beating him out. :dontknow:

Rookie quarterbacks rarely start on day 1 unless there is no other choice. Teams that start there rookie quarterbacks on day one dont usually have anyone as good as Matt Cassell.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#307 » by Worm Guts » Tue May 13, 2014 1:50 pm

It's becoming more common for rookies to start day 1. I think the 2012 rookie draft class had 4-5 opening day starters. That being said, I think Cassel will start next season unless Bridgewater is unbelievable in training camp.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#308 » by Krapinsky » Tue May 13, 2014 4:39 pm

If I'm not mistaken, Bridgewater was a 3 year starter in a pro-style offense that had him playing under center. He's all well versed in reading overages, going through his progressions, and getting the ball out quickly against blitz packages. He's probably the most ready QB to start coming out of this draft.

On the flip side, if making the playoffs is the goal next year -- and why shouldn't it be as long as we have guys like Perterson and Jennings -- then we're probably better off riding with Cassell as long as we're in contention.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#309 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue May 13, 2014 4:42 pm

Worm Guts wrote:

also re: McKinnon, I read this on draftcountdown draft review:

Change of pace type to backup / compliment Adrian Peterson and may also get a look on defense.

I was wondering where he got that from, has anybody heard anything like that? He probably has the athleticism for a DB, but I assume he didn't pull that out his ass and I was wondering what the source of that speculation is
White+Purple
Sixth Man
And1: 235

Post#310 » by White+Purple » Tue May 13, 2014 4:54 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:also re: McKinnon, I read this on draftcountdown draft review:

Change of pace type to backup / compliment Adrian Peterson and may also get a look on defense.

I was wondering where he got that from, has anybody heard anything like that? He probably has the athleticism for a DB, but I assume he didn't pull that out his ass and I was wondering what the source of that speculation is

I thought I read somewhere that he played some D in college, but Spielman was pretty clear in saying he was drafted as a RB.
Jukeness
Analyst

Post#311 » by Jukeness » Tue May 13, 2014 5:16 pm

Worm Guts wrote:It's becoming more common for rookies to start day 1. I think the 2012 rookie draft class had 4-5 opening day starters. That being said, I think Cassel will start next season unless Bridgewater is unbelievable in training camp.

Doesnt mean they should have though. Those teams had no option, they had absolute **** at quarterback not counting the rookies.

I'm wondering if Bridgewater starts at all this year.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#312 » by Worm Guts » Tue May 13, 2014 5:38 pm

Jukeness wrote:
Worm Guts wrote:It's becoming more common for rookies to start day 1. I think the 2012 rookie draft class had 4-5 opening day starters. That being said, I think Cassel will start next season unless Bridgewater is unbelievable in training camp.

Doesnt mean they should have though. Those teams had no option, they had absolute **** at quarterback not counting the rookies.

Griffin, Wilson and Luck were all very good as rookies. I don't think it's something we have to be afraid of.
Jukeness
Analyst

Post#313 » by Jukeness » Tue May 13, 2014 5:57 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Jukeness wrote:

Griffin, Wilson and Luck were all very good as rookies. I don't think it's something we have to be afraid of.

No, I'm not saying I dont think he should or I dont want him to start, I'm just wondering if the coaches will give him that chance this year. I hope he does start at some point this year.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#314 » by Esohny » Tue May 13, 2014 6:03 pm

Zimmer insists that he's going to play the best QB, and Bridgewater will start if he's ready. We'll see what that means, but it does sound like Zimmer will give him his fair shot this year.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Twolf16
Rookie

Post#315 » by Twolf16 » Tue May 13, 2014 7:17 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Jukeness wrote:

But so were Ponder, Gabbert, and Locker. I think the point is that he isn't under the pressure that these guys were. He shouldn't be rushed, but if he earns it- he deserves. Experience is the best teacher after all...well, for most people (Ponder) Cough* Cough*!
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#316 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue May 13, 2014 9:06 pm

Personally, I never watched Ponder his rookie year and thought "this guy is the future". Only thing that stood out was his scrambling.
Twolf16
Rookie

Post#317 » by Twolf16 » Tue May 13, 2014 11:23 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv_T3B--wJ8
0:43-0:50 TEDDY BRIDGEWATER MEME... watch it take off haha, such an odd dance. Anyways, I had to share and enjoy the highlights.
Twolf16
Rookie

Post#318 » by Twolf16 » Wed May 14, 2014 12:31 am

Anyone who isn't overly excited about Barr, watch this. It may be a little slow sometimes, but wow! This man is a monster. Tons of potential!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GauOGG01fX8
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,562

Post#319 » by hermes » Wed May 14, 2014 4:32 am

i want to see an open competition for qb in training camp, and the best man starts is fine with me. if teddy starts right away or fairly early it just means he gets his experience that much sooner - if he sits and waits a while that is alright too, i've been a fan of taking things slow with young qbs

the only thing about the open competition is......what if ponder wins? he's playing for a new contract now after all - i feel like there will be riots in the streets if ponder somehow gets the starting gig back (even if he earned it)
Jukeness
Analyst

Post#320 » by Jukeness » Wed May 14, 2014 5:21 am

Ponder has shown me enough to make me believe he has no chance to beat these two guys out for the starting job.

Return to Minnesota Vikings