Draft thread

Moderator: Worm Guts

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,852

Re: Draft thread 

Post#281 » by Klomp » Sun May 11, 2014 1:23 am

tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#282 » by Jukeness » Sun May 11, 2014 5:58 am

A lot of people were not happy about Sam kissing his boyfriend after being drafted, and people were not happy about the ones criticizing Sam, just more hate.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,563

Post#283 » by hermes » Sun May 11, 2014 6:56 am

hey conor boffeli

and kain coulter is interesting, looks like they're running him at wr - another joe webb experiment?
Twolf16
Rookie
And1: 89

Post#284 » by Twolf16 » Sun May 11, 2014 6:18 pm

hermes wrote:hey conor boffeli

and kain coulter is interesting, looks like they're running him at wr - another joe webb experiment?

He was a wide receiver at senior bowl, so I think he is a little more polished, but very similar. I really hope Exum takes off, we desperately need a better than average SS.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Post#285 » by Worm Guts » Sun May 11, 2014 7:54 pm

There have been a few successful cases of using a college QB as a receiver, most of the cases I can think of were Steelers. Antwan Randle-El, Kordell Stewart, and Hines Ward. One of the reasons I think Joe Webb failed was because we changed our mind after we drafted him and he spent most of his time at QB, he never was given the practice time he needed to become a good receiver.
hermes
RealGM

Post#286 » by hermes » Mon May 12, 2014 1:26 am

that's a good point
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#287 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon May 12, 2014 2:07 am

Klomp wrote:Pretty solid UDFA crop: http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/V ... 1_23682994

i don't know the other guys, but richardson was getting 1st round buzz for awhile and even at draft time I think all the reports I read still had him as a day 2 pick. Not sure what the deal was; usually a bad injury report is the only thing that could bring down a guy like that. Maybe 2 rookie starting guards this season...
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#288 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon May 12, 2014 2:19 am

Worm Guts wrote:There have been a few successful cases of using a college QB as a receiver, most of the cases I can think of were Steelers. Antwan Randle-El, Kordell Stewart, and Hines Ward. One of the reasons I think Joe Webb failed was because we changed our mind after we drafted him and he spent most of his time at QB, he never was given the practice time he needed to become a good receiver.

I wonder what Carolina will do with him; Rivera is a good coach and they have an athlete QB in Newton where they've learned some tricks to take advantage of a non-tradition positional player, they might have some creative ideas for him .
Twolf16
Rookie
And1: 89

Post#289 » by Twolf16 » Mon May 12, 2014 3:35 am

When it's all said and done, Vikes had a pretty good draft. I think Exum and A.J. Price are the later DB's(6-7)that make the team. The McKinnon pick still makes me wonder, I understand that athleticism was the theme, but only 10 receptions his senior season. Would of much rather took a running back in the 6th or 7th, and then defense in the 3rd. But, hopefully he becomes a good backup... Asiata needs to stay a 3rd string! Initially I was down on the Barr pick, but now I'm really looking forward to seeing him play. Bridgewater starts by the fourth game of the season and wins offensive rookie of the year (optimism kicking in).
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#290 » by The J Rocka » Mon May 12, 2014 4:27 am

A lot of people were looking for us to add more secondary help but I think we'll be okay going into this season. If players aren't getting the job done, they won't be here for long and we can always look to draft a CB in the first round of next year's draft if it's an issue again. Guys like Derek Cox and Shaun Prater could show us something more with Zimmer's discipline.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,527

Post#291 » by Worm Guts » Mon May 12, 2014 5:07 am

Twolf16 wrote:When it's all said and done, Vikes had a pretty good draft. I think Exum and A.J. Price are the later DB's(6-7)that make the team. The McKinnon pick still makes me wonder, I understand that athleticism was the theme, but only 10 receptions his senior season. Would of much rather took a running back in the 6th or 7th, and then defense in the 3rd. But, hopefully he becomes a good backup... Asiata needs to stay a 3rd string! Initially I was down on the Barr pick, but now I'm really looking forward to seeing him play. Bridgewater starts by the fourth game of the season and wins offensive rookie of the year (optimism kicking in).

I agree on the McKinnon pick. He seems like he was a little bit of a reach at position we shouldn't need to reach for.
Overall, I loved the Bridgewater pick but the rest of the draft was just OK.
Jukeness
Analyst

Post#292 » by Jukeness » Mon May 12, 2014 5:29 am

I think they might try to use McKinnon like KC used McCluster. I've been high on Barr for some months, so I'm very glad we got him. I also read that Crichton was great value and Yankey too, apparently both could have gone some picks earlier. No need to comment on Bridgewater, he made the whole draft.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#293 » by Klomp » Mon May 12, 2014 5:56 am

Twolf16 wrote:I think Exum and A.J. Price are the later DB's(6-7)that make the team.

Wrong team.

Twolf16 wrote:The McKinnon pick still makes me wonder, I understand that athleticism was the theme, but only 10 receptions his senior season. Would of much rather took a running back in the 6th or 7th, and then defense in the 3rd. But, hopefully he becomes a good backup...

You have to put things into perspective, though.

Georgia Southern had a grand total of 52 completions for the ENTIRE SEASON. They don't pass the ball. And of those 52 completions, McKinnon THREW 8 of them (for 4 TDs BTW). That leaves just 44 passes to split up. Their leading receiver caught 12 balls in 2013.

(BTW, 10 receptions was his career total, not just 2013)
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#294 » by Esohny » Mon May 12, 2014 2:41 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
Twolf16 wrote:When it's all said and done, Vikes had a pretty good draft. I think Exum and A.J. Price are the later DB's(6-7)that make the team. The McKinnon pick still makes me wonder, I understand that athleticism was the theme, but only 10 receptions his senior season. Would of much rather took a running back in the 6th or 7th, and then defense in the 3rd. But, hopefully he becomes a good backup... Asiata needs to stay a 3rd string! Initially I was down on the Barr pick, but now I'm really looking forward to seeing him play. Bridgewater starts by the fourth game of the season and wins offensive rookie of the year (optimism kicking in).

I agree on the McKinnon pick. He seems like he was a little bit of a reach at position we shouldn't need to reach for.
Overall, I loved the Bridgewater pick but the rest of the draft was just OK.

Yeah, I'm not sure about burning that pick on McKinnon, with some of the players who were still available at several positions. Hopefully he develops.
I'm relatively happy with the draft; Bridgewater makes it for me, but I did like the value they got with Crichton and loved the value and fit they got with Yankey. Exum could end up being a starter, which would be awesome in the 6th round. The other late picks I don't really feel too strongly about one way or the other, but they do give some depth. Then they also signed Richardson as a UDFA, who everyone thought was going to be drafted, so that's pretty nice too.

The only way that I would have been noticeably more satisfied might have been if they had traded down from 9 and gotten Mosley or Shazier or maybe Fuller/Dennard (and picks) and then maybe another good LB prospect in the middle rounds.
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
hermes
RealGM

Post#295 » by hermes » Mon May 12, 2014 3:07 pm

Jukeness wrote:I think they might try to use McKinnon like KC used McCluster. I've been high on Barr for some months, so I'm very glad we got him. I also read that Crichton was great value and Yankey too, apparently both could have gone some picks earlier. No need to comment on Bridgewater, he made the whole draft.

doesn't mccluster return punts too? they already have scherels for that
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#296 » by The J Rocka » Mon May 12, 2014 4:00 pm

Vikes said McKinnon was a natural catching the football when he was working out for them. I'm excited to see how he'll turn out.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#297 » by Krapinsky » Mon May 12, 2014 4:52 pm

Worm Guts wrote:There have been a few successful cases of using a college QB as a receiver, most of the cases I can think of were Steelers. Antwan Randle-El, Kordell Stewart, and Hines Ward. One of the reasons I think Joe Webb failed was because we changed our mind after we drafted him and he spent most of his time at QB, he never was given the practice time he needed to become a good receiver.

I believe Julian Edelman was a college QB.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Jukeness
Analyst

Post#298 » by Jukeness » Mon May 12, 2014 4:52 pm

hermes wrote:
Jukeness wrote:I think they might try to use McKinnon like KC used McCluster. I've been high on Barr for some months, so I'm very glad we got him. I also read that Crichton was great value and Yankey too, apparently both could have gone some picks earlier. No need to comment on Bridgewater, he made the whole draft.

doesn't mccluster return punts too? they already have scherels for that

Right, I doubt he'll be taking that job from Sherels. On offense I think they'll try to use him in a variety of ways, like with McCluster.
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#299 » by Krapinsky » Mon May 12, 2014 4:53 pm

McKinnon has really sneaky speed in his highlights. It doesn't even look like he's running his hardest, but he's running right by people and breaking away to the end zone.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#300 » by Klomp » Mon May 12, 2014 5:17 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvqbNpH8YRg[/youtube]

Return to Minnesota Vikings