ImageImageImage

Which QB do you think the vikings will draft?

Moderator: Worm Guts

which QB do you think the vikings will draft?

Poll ended at Thu May 8, 2014 1:20 am

Blake Bortles
No votes
Johnny Manziel
14%
Teddy Bridgewater
29%
Derek Carr
No votes
Zach Mettenberger
29%
Jimmy Garoppolo
14%
A.J. McCarron
14%
Aaron Murray
No votes
Tom Savage
No votes
Other (please specify)
No votes

Total votes: 7

whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Which QB do you think the vikings will draft? 

Post#1 » by whitehops » Mon Apr 7, 2014 1:20 am

OK, so the draft is coming up and it is inevitable that the vikes will draft a QB. the question is whether or not they draft a QB in the first round that will compete for the starting job this year or take a developmental QB and let him progress for a while. after that the question comes down to which QB they will take that fits either description.

I know people probably have their favourite QB but who do you think the Vikings will actually draft at QB this year?
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,511

Re: Which QB do you think the vikings will draft? 

Post#2 » by Worm Guts » Mon Apr 7, 2014 1:31 am

I'm hoping Bridgewater but don't if he'll fall far enough. I've heard Carr and Mettenberger mentioned as guys who fit the Norv Turner mold.
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#3 » by Jukeness » Mon Apr 7, 2014 2:05 am

I dont expect that Jacksonville passes on Bridgewater
Twolf16
Rookie
And1: 89

Post#4 » by Twolf16 » Mon Apr 7, 2014 10:12 pm

I could definitely see Bridgewater dropping to us. But I'll only take him or Manziel with the 8th otherwise take one in the second or third round.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#5 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon Apr 7, 2014 11:17 pm

Manziel seems unlikely, so probably Bridgewater in the 1st or Mettenberger in the 2nd
Twolf16
Rookie

Post#6 » by Twolf16 » Mon Apr 7, 2014 11:43 pm

Don't know much about Mettenberger but I've read bad things about him. Would prefer Murray, Mcarron, or garappolo. Forgive the spelling.
whitehops
General Manager

Post#7 » by whitehops » Tue Apr 8, 2014 4:44 pm

it's honestly such a crapshoot at this point. I know some that see bridgewater as having a very average arm and not much upside, while some see bridgewater as easily the best qb in the class, having a good arm and being incredibly smart when making reads, etc. pretty much every qb in the class has these kinds of polarizing views. pretty much every qb has question marks, although none more than mettenberger lol.

personally I would love to have teddy with the 8th pick, but otherwise I hope they just go BPA as much as they can without reaching too much for any QB, whether it be in the first round or in mid-rounds.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,730

Post#8 » by The J Rocka » Tue Apr 8, 2014 5:08 pm

One NFC team picking in the 20s told us that they expect the Minnesota Vikings to take Carr with the eighth-overall pick, unless he is selected by the Raiders at No. 5 overall.

http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php
Twolf16
Rookie

Post#9 » by Twolf16 » Tue Apr 8, 2014 11:35 pm

I would love to trade back, maybe with a team like the rams, where we could grab a DB or a qb if one we like is there, and then really utilize 2 early second round picks. (MLB, OLB, SS, CB, QB) whatever is best available. Though I'm starting to wonder if we need a MLB as Audi Cole played well last year and Mauti could be great.
whitehops
General Manager

Post#10 » by whitehops » Wed Apr 9, 2014 1:03 am

I didn't watch the bengals much at all last year but supposedly zimmer likes his defense to be really strong up front and then have play nickel a bunch, so maybe LBs aren't as big an order when it comes draft time?

also:

MINNEAPOLIS -- The Minnesota Vikings will continue their hunt for a young quarterback in Baton Rouge, La., this week, when they attend LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger's pro day and meet with him individually after his workout, according to a league source.

Mettenberger The Vikings have the No. 8 pick in the draft, but had planned to meet with most of the prominent quarterbacks in this year's draft class. They're believed to be highly interested in Mettenberger...

source: http://espn.go.com/blog/minnesota-vikin ... ger-at-lsu

i'm sure they are just doing what they've been doing with all the top QBs but I have seen a bunch of 'sources' say the vikes are interested in met.
Twolf16
Rookie

Post#11 » by Twolf16 » Wed Apr 9, 2014 2:58 am

Besides Bridgewater, and maybe Manziel, I think Cassel gives us the best chance to succeed. Especially with Norv. So I am all for a developmental qb, obviously not someone too raw.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,561

Post#12 » by hermes » Wed Apr 9, 2014 3:01 pm

who i really want is bortles, but he'll never fall. bridgewater could fall but i don't see that as likely (and i'm not super enthralled with him) - manziel is the best bet to be there at 8 but i have a gut feeling the vikings don't like him that much

of the rest i like garoppolo and murray, mettenberger wouldn't be bad but he's coming on a big injury
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,561

Post#13 » by hermes » Wed Apr 9, 2014 3:03 pm

The J Rocka wrote:
One NFC team picking in the 20s told us that they expect the Minnesota Vikings to take Carr with the eighth-overall pick, unless he is selected by the Raiders at No. 5 overall.

good gracious i hope that isn't true - even if i liked carr that is way to high for him isn't it?

with the pressure to get it right with the next qb i don't think rick pulls the trigger on a qb at 8 unless its one of the top 3 guys
Twolf16
Rookie

Post#14 » by Twolf16 » Wed Apr 9, 2014 10:01 pm

Connor Shaw is another guy we could grab in mid rounds. Jeff Ridson seems to like him, says to Mettenberger but without the off the field issues.
whitehops
General Manager

Post#15 » by whitehops » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:55 am

I find it weird that there is so little news/hype about bortles, especially since he's projected to be a top ten pick and maybe the first QB off the board. I've seen carr go from an early second rounder to a late first rounder to seeing some mocks where he's taken before our pick at #8, and there are usually big discussions about him with people having very different opinions.

is bortles not talked about that much because there aren't many questions with him?
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by The J Rocka » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:04 am

hermes wrote:
The J Rocka wrote:

good gracious i hope that isn't true - even if i liked carr that is way to high for him isn't it?

with the pressure to get it right with the next qb i don't think rick pulls the trigger on a qb at 8 unless its one of the top 3 guys

Definitely not worth the 8th pick. That's a Ponder reach if that's true.
Jukeness
Analyst
And1: 326

Post#17 » by Jukeness » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:31 am

The J Rocka wrote:
hermes wrote:

Definitely not worth the 8th pick. That's a Ponder reach if that's true.

Picking Ponder would be a way bigger reach than picking Carr.
The J Rocka
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by The J Rocka » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:17 am

Carr is a 2nd round talent that will end up going in the 1st now. His accuracy with the deep ball is poor. I read that he has a 50% completion percentage when he's under pressure, which is the worst out of the top 8 QBs in his class. He didn't even play well against top 25 teams and wet the bed against USC in that bowl game months ago.

He has pro level arm strength and a great release that could develop into something down the road but the reward isn't enough to justify taking him at 8. Vikes would be better off trading up for another player or trading down to collect more picks and take a player that will still be on board later in the 1st.

I'm hoping the Browns or Raiders take Carr.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#19 » by Worm Guts » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:45 pm

Jeff Risdon (Icness) has Carr as his 2nd ranked quarterback. He's got the physical gifts of any of the 1st round prospects, he had the best production, and apparently is pretty educated at making pre-snap reads.
I like Bridgewater the best, but Bortles, Carr and Manziel all have their good and their bad. I'm actually fine with any of the 4, the only thing that would make me upset is if Bridgewater was on the board and we took somebody else.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#20 » by Worm Guts » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:45 pm

whitehops wrote:

is bortles not talked about that much because there aren't many questions with him?

I've heard questions about his arm strength and accuracy, but he's supposedly super cool under pressure.

Return to Minnesota Vikings