ImageImageImage

What to do with AP

Moderator: Worm Guts

guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,395

What to do with AP 

Post#1 » by guest81 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:25 pm

I would like to see the Vikings bring back AP for another year provided he takes a pay cut. He's due 12 million, but if he takes a deal around 7-8 hes still one of the higher paid RB but the Vikes could save money too. Mckinnion and AP could be an awesome combo that can take a lot of pressure off Teddy.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,467

Re: What to do with AP 

Post#2 » by Worm Guts » Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:38 pm

I'd probably take him back at full price, if we can get him for less that's even better. I still don't know how the PR is going to play out.
Ralnor
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 544

Post#3 » by Ralnor » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:30 pm

I do believe that AP should take a pay cut and take something in 7 to 8 million a year. That way we could use that money saved to bring in another WR or other positions of need.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,545

Post#4 » by hermes » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:18 am

its not even whatever punishments come down from the law (if any), there is still the nfl's reaction (possible suspension?)

i'll always welcome ap back, but i think the team might take this as a good opportunity to start focusing on the future of the team, what it looks like and what its identity will be. we always knew that ap wasn't going to play forever and at times have thought about what replacing him might look like - well now the vikings need to address it and i think they should move forward as if he wasn't going to come back at all

if he does, i'm sure that they could fit him in. if he does come back i think it will be up to ap to be alright with possibly accepting a different/smaller role than he had previously.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#5 » by Worm Guts » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:54 am

It would be easier to move on if the team was having more success without him. Peterson was the Vikings main attraction and I don't think he's been replaced at this point.
Twolf16
Rookie
And1: 89

Post#6 » by Twolf16 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:34 am

Also to be honest, I don't see him taking a pay cut.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#7 » by Worm Guts » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:13 am

Twolf16 wrote:Also to be honest, I don't see him taking a pay cut.

I wouldn't rule it out. He's going to be making less no matter where he plays.
guest81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,395

Post#8 » by guest81 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:34 pm

The problem is that he has no leverage. Even if he was peak AD, he probably wouldn't get 12 mil from another team. Take into account his PR status and his age, it's probably even less so. Even at 7 million, he would still save face by being the highest paid RB and still save the Vikings 5 million.
Twolf16
Rookie

Post#9 » by Twolf16 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:49 pm

guest81 wrote:

The problem is that he has no leverage. Even if he was peak AD, he probably wouldn't get 12 mil from another team. Take into account his PR status and his age, it's probably even less so. Even at 7 million, he would still save face by being the highest paid RB and still save the Vikings 5 million.

True true, but if he comes back and we're asking him to take a pay cut, I think he bolts for another team. Maybe a contender or Texas team.

hermes
RealGM

Post#10 » by hermes » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:25 pm

Worm Guts wrote:It would be easier to move on if the team was having more success without him. Peterson was the Vikings main attraction and I don't think he's been replaced at this point.

well yeah, its impossible to replace him during the season when the expectation was that he was going to be playing the full year. they can begin to move on in terms of plays/system but personnel wise they can't do it right now
hermes
RealGM

Post#11 » by hermes » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:32 pm

guest81 wrote:

is he really making that much more than the next guy? yikes
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,125

Post#12 » by Calinks » Sun Nov 2, 2014 10:47 pm

Don't know if the team would take him back. If he comes off as truly remorseful and turns things around it could work. However, even if he gets passed those hurdles, I could see him going to a contender.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#13 » by Worm Guts » Mon Nov 3, 2014 1:27 pm

There's talk of a plea deal this week. It will be interesting to see if the NFL suspends Peterson or gives him credit for the 7 games he's already missed. Then we'll see if the Vikings are willing to bring him back.
hermes
RealGM

Post#14 » by hermes » Wed Nov 5, 2014 1:32 am

so i guess the plea happened, this might move a lot quicker than i thought

wonder if the nfl is going to do anything, the team seems like they'd want him back but i wonder about the public's reaction - since that is what caused him being put on leave in the first place
Twolf16
Rookie

Post#15 » by Twolf16 » Wed Nov 5, 2014 3:11 am

Public reaction will be bad, I mean he was never really punished. And I think the old nfl would have let him return early, but since the Ray Rice saga my bet is a four game suspension. We could really use him back ASAP as we face the bears and packers next.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,567

Post#16 » by Klomp » Wed Nov 5, 2014 3:37 am

Twolf16 wrote:Public reaction will be bad, I mean he was never really punished. And I think the old nfl would have let him return early, but since the Ray Rice saga my bet is a four game suspension. We could really use him back ASAP as we face the bears and packers next.

He just missed eight games. I'm sure you'll argue that he was being paid, so just fine him for X amount of game checks and it will be no different than if he were on a long suspension.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#17 » by Worm Guts » Wed Nov 5, 2014 1:40 pm

Yeah, if the NFL fines AP 8 game checks, then he's had the equivalent of an 8 game suspension already. The NFL has taken so much heat though I wouldn't surprised if they suspended AP an additional 4-6 games.
longway
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#18 » by longway » Wed Nov 5, 2014 5:30 pm

The NFL would let Rae Carruth back with less than a 14 game suspension if he was released. I know Goodell will try to save face but I think at most he gets another 2 games.

Return to Minnesota Vikings