Offseason thread

Moderator: Worm Guts

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,514

Offseason thread 

Post#1 » by Worm Guts » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:17 pm

So what's the plan for the offseason? Does Adrian Peterson come back? What's the priority for the draft and free agency?
I like Amari Cooper in the draft, but he might be gone before we pick. It might be a good year to trade down and build some depth.
If we don't bring back Peterson that probably frees up enough money to sign 2 more starters, but he's also our only explosive offensive player. We need a home run hitter.
Twolf16
Rookie
And1: 89

Offseason thread 

Post#2 » by Twolf16 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:23 am

Tons of good running backs in the draft. I trust our coaches and spielman will make the best decision for the team. To bad Cooper will go early and Alabama safety, Collins, who would be great next to Smith. Davonte Parker is sort of intriguing but don't know much about him.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Re: Offseason thread 

Post#3 » by Worm Guts » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:51 pm

From the highlights I've seen, Parker is great at high pointing the ball. He was also really great in the limited action he saw this season, although I don't know why he missed the first half of the season.
Twolf16
Rookie

Offseason thread 

Post#4 » by Twolf16 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:25 pm

Worm Guts wrote:From the highlights I've seen, Parker is great at high pointing the ball. He was also really great in the limited action he saw this season, although I don't know why he missed the first half of the season.

Broken foot. I guess he has had trouble staying healthy.

Free agent targets:
RB: Demarco Murray, C.J. Spiller, Justin Forsett
DT: Terrence Knightington (I think. Broncos- huge run stopper.) cardinals DT also a free agent and same type of player.
WR: Randall Cobb, Jeremy Maclin, and Cecil Shorts.

Count me in for Murray or Spiller, either DT, and Cobb or Maclin.

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#5 » by Worm Guts » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:13 pm

Twolf16 wrote:DT: Terrence Knightington (I think. Broncos- huge run stopper.) cardinals DT also a free agent and same type of player.

We have Floyd and Joseph who we just signed, I don't know if we're willing to invest in another DT, although I agree that our run stopping was mediocre this year.

I think I'd also stay away from Murray. He had a massive workload this season, 7th most carries in a single season.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,562

Post#6 » by hermes » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:55 pm

need another playmaker at wr - sounds like everyone is going to do everything they can to try and make that playmaker patterson (he's going to work with any and everyone from the sounds of it - plus i guess teddy wants all the wrs to hang with him in the offseason, teddy's just the best)

another linebacker, i think we should bring greenway back - he wants to be here and will restructure his deal to make it happen (within reason i suppose) and it seems like next might be his last year anyway. i think he's got enough left in the tank for another go (maybe in a reduced role so his body doesn't completely fall apart on him)

some secondary help, i think the dline is probably set (might shift around some of the backups) but the focus will probably be on the rest of the defense this go around

what do you guys think on the oline? just get everyone back healthy? they have to decide on kalil's 5th year option by like june or something
hermes
RealGM

Post#7 » by hermes » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:02 am

ap is going to be a major elephant in the room, the sooner that resolves itself the better - i'd like him back because he'll be fresh and likely have something to prove and that is an adrian i'd want on my side. the money thing will be tricky, everyone seems to think that sure they'll take him back but at the right price. i don't know how automatic a restructure or cut/resign is. we'll see i guess

i don't know about getting a free agent rb, history (across the league) hasn't been positive. you generally have to pay too much or they might be worn down (or both). murray is for sure a stay away (he'd be an example of both - nearly 400 carries!!!!), spiller gets hurt too often, forsett might be interesting but what would we have to pay to get him and at that price would he be that much better than the mckinnon/asiata/draft pick? combo we currently have?

i don't think the running game is in such a desperate place that we need to make a big splash (either in free agency or a high pick)
Twolf16
Rookie

Offseason thread 

Post#8 » by Twolf16 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:37 am

I know spiller has had injuries, but if we can get him cheap. Him and McKinnon can handle the workload.

Really need a wide receiver, but I hope Patterson turns out. I was huge on Keenan Allen but that's in the past.

I don't think Peterson or Greenway will restructure.

Needs: Wr, SS, CB (maybe not if Munnerlyn doesn't get cut) and O-line (probably LG).

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#9 » by Worm Guts » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:40 pm

I was looking at the PFF season grades. A couple things were interesting, both Brinkley and Greenway are replaceable but the young guys (Barr, Cole, Hodges) had big grades when they had the opportunity. So the question becomes do we look for upgrades, or are the upgrades already on the team?
Another interesting thing was that Blanton had a good grade. He was someone who I thought needed to be upgraded as well.
Twolf16
Rookie

Offseason thread 

Post#10 » by Twolf16 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:57 pm

I've always liked Cole and Hodges. Odd that Blanton graded well. I think the draft will be about depth and best player available rather than filling holes.

Twolf16
Rookie

Offseason thread 

Post#11 » by Twolf16 » Thu Jan 1, 2015 10:43 pm

Dream draft-
Round 1: cooper or Parker
Round 2: Gurley, Gordon, or Johnson (if AP doesn't come back). Or best OT.
Round 3: Ifo Ekpre-Olomu

Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#12 » by Worm Guts » Fri Jan 2, 2015 1:18 pm

I like all those players, but I'd like some defense in the first 2 rounds. Of course if we could get Cooper and Gordon/Gurley with the first two picks, I'd take it and run.
hermes
RealGM

Post#13 » by hermes » Fri Jan 2, 2015 11:50 pm

what do you guys think about asiata? i have a feeling that the organization really likes him a lot - i just wonder if its enough to have him and mckinnon be the guys if adrian isn't back
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#14 » by Worm Guts » Sat Jan 3, 2015 12:20 am

Asiata must do the little things, because he's not much of a runner. Only 3.5 ypc
Twolf16
Rookie

Offseason thread 

Post#15 » by Twolf16 » Sat Jan 3, 2015 5:59 pm

I like Asiata, especially towards the end of the year, but he is a 3rd string running back who can help in pass block situations and goal line situations. If AP doesn't take a pay cut, we will definitely draft a RB. Depending on the round, I could see Asiata and McKinnon getting the majority of the carries.

hermes
RealGM

Post#16 » by hermes » Sat Jan 3, 2015 10:38 pm

i don't think they'd go after one of the big names early, wait until the 3-5th rounds and get a guy they'd like to develop and integrate him in

mckinnon and asiata both have very different skills and the right third guy could really give us a really well rounded committee
hermes
RealGM

Post#17 » by hermes » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:32 pm

charlie johnson has been released, the remake of the offensive line begins
hermes
RealGM

Post#18 » by hermes » Sun Mar 8, 2015 2:41 pm

apparently we've reached out to the likes of: shaun hill, adrian clayborn, george selvie and aj hawk

all things free agency tracker
hermes
RealGM

Post#19 » by hermes » Sun Mar 8, 2015 11:20 pm

vikes keep tom johnson, 3 year deal for $7 million
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... year-deal/

pretty solid deal i'd say, he was good last year
Born_Ready
Veteran
And1: 476

Post#20 » by Born_Ready » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:05 pm

Ready for some new faces in purple. Free Agency is only hours away from commencing. They can start by retaining the best RB in the league and letting the rest of the NFL know AD is still a Viking.
OKC Thunder fan, too.

Return to Minnesota Vikings