4.121: Willie Beaver [OL] Western Michigan
5.160: Kentrell Brothers [LB] Missouri
6.180: Moritz Boehringer [WR] Germany
6.188: David Morgan II [TE] Texas-San Antonio
7.227: Stephen Weatherly [DE] Vanderbilt
7.244: Jayron Kearse [S] Clemson

2017 3rd - Miami
2017 4th - Miami

The team will announce the list of UDFAs on Monday.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 19,479

Re: 2016 Vikings Draft Class 

Post#2 » by hermes » Sun May 1, 2016 2:23 pm

so what do we think? good/bad/ok?

treadwell will be good for fitting a need right away, alexander sounds like a really good get from where we drafted him. we got depth at other expected places (d-line, o-line, lb). kind of surprised they waited until the seventh round to get a safety. also surprised we got a tight end. we'll see what the german wr can do, he's a big guy

having two more picks next year will be good. this almost feels like a draft where we fill a need or two and then just grab seemingly unappealing depth/project guys. guess that's the price we pay for having a pretty talented team already
doovalacky

it's not about what you did, it's what other people say about how you said you felt about doing it
Klomp
Senior Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 5,854

Post#3 » by Klomp » Mon May 2, 2016 1:36 am

I'm a big fan of this draft.

Treadwell: instant starter
Alexander: great value; eventual Munnerlyn replacement
Beaver: concern is understandable, but fits traits Sparano looks for in OL
Brothers: the eventual third LB in base defense
Moehringer: upside
Morgan: insurance for Ellison
Weatherley: drafting a raw pass rusher worked well last year
Kearse: big safety Zimmer likes
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.
T-wOlvEs 420
Senior
And1: 109

Post#4 » by T-wOlvEs 420 » Mon May 2, 2016 12:01 pm

I'm happy with the draft, I just wish we would have been more aggressive in the earlier rounds, finding a safety who can play next to Harrison Smith. I think in doing so it moves our defense from very good to elite, a championship defense. But I do trust Zimmer, and love Treadwell..
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 2,335

Post#5 » by Worm Guts » Mon May 2, 2016 12:21 pm

The first 2 picks seem great. I question the athletic ability of Brothers and Morgan. Brothers was hugely productive, but he's also a bad combination of small and slow. I don't know if he would have lasted another round, but he seems more like a 6th round pick.
Morgan is a skill position player who ran a 5+ 40, I don't know how many successful TE's run that slow. At some point you might as well just put another tackle out there.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 19,479

Post#6 » by hermes » Mon May 2, 2016 10:47 pm

i was surprised at the lack of going for a safety early. they must be fairly satisfied with seeing what the options they have do
doovalacky

it's not about what you did, it's what other people say about how you said you felt about doing it
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,689

Post#7 » by Devilzsidewalk » Mon May 2, 2016 11:44 pm

Worm Guts wrote:The first 2 picks seem great. I question the athletic ability of Brothers and Morgan. Brothers was hugely productive, but he's also a bad combination of small and slow. I don't know if he would have lasted another round, but he seems more like a 6th round pick.
Morgan is a skill position player who ran a 5+ 40, I don't know how many successful TE's run that slow. At some point you might as well just put another tackle out there.

These PFF tidbits are optimistic:

Kearse:
Jayron Kearse is a player that PFF had a fourth-round grade on, and was actually the best-graded player in the Clemson secondary this past season. He had solid grades against both the run and pass and even featured on the blitz, posting the fourth-best pass rushing productivity among safeties in this class for his work on the blitz.

Brothers:
The Vikings take a player who had the fifth-highest linebacker grade in the entire nation and the fourth-highest in the draft class. He was only available at this spot because of a relatively pedestrian measurables profile — on the field he is a force, especially against the run, where he had the second-highest grade in the draft class.

Morgan:
Morgan was easily the highest-graded run blocking tight end in 2015, not only among the draft class, but in the entire nation. No. 2 tight ends don’t have a ton of value in today’s NFL, but he is an ideal one that can block and also contribute as a receiver. His 1.65 receiving yards per route run ranked seventh in the TE class.

They didn't like beaver much though - had him ranked last in pass blocking. That doesn't sound good.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 2,335

Post#8 » by Worm Guts » Tue May 3, 2016 3:43 pm

I saw that Brothers ran a 4.73 at his Pro Day, as opposed to 4.89 at the combine. That makes me feel a lot better about him.
Klomp
And1: 5,854

Post#9 » by Klomp » Tue May 3, 2016 6:19 pm

Worm Guts wrote:I saw that Brothers ran a 4.73 at his Pro Day, as opposed to 4.89 at the combine. That makes me feel a lot better about him.

Ahh, that makes more sense as to why you were so down on him
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,689

Post#10 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue May 3, 2016 6:19 pm

I also was readring somewhere that the big time athlete LBs that go early - ie the eye-popping #s guys - have a really bad record for panning out in the NFL. I know we've had a couple of those with Dontarrious Thomas and Raonall Smith.

I think there's just a lot of quick-fire mental processing going on - have to figure out run or pass in the face of draws/play-action/tricky formations/receivers in motion, then immediately read the routes or hole to hit.

Return to Minnesota Vikings