Post#21 » by sunshinekids99 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:32 am

Now go get Sanders and Nicks
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Re: Offseason Changes 

Post#22 » by sully00 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:32 am

I want Peppers or Woodley (if healthy). I think Steve Smith is probably the best fit for NE at WR knowing that Bill isn't likely to be willing to throw a lot of cash at that position. It doesn't hurt that he is a bitter little red ass.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#23 » by Celtics_Champs » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:09 am

For the next signing, I honestly like Woodyard. I think he'd be a heckuva player here. Surprised that one went under the radar for a visit.

Lots of WR options, I've always wanted Nicks, I'd be comfortable letting Edelman walk for a guy like nicks. I think Steve Smith would be good too. He's a fiery guy, but he may be too old. Sanders is meh... I think Brady and him could do work and produce but nothing his second year recievers aren't going to do. I really like Lafell and avant too, but if that's the case id want Edelman signed as well.

Basically....

Nicks

Or

Avant/Edelman
LaFell/Edelman

Who I truly want is Mike Evans from A&M

As for pass rushers I truly don't see how you don't pay and play a guy like Allen, Tuck or Peppers for 2-3 downs a series, and there just seems to be no room for that. They looked at vets last year, Abraham specifically, and I think it went sour because BB trusts Chandler and Nink (rightfully so) and can't afford to promise/pay a guy money to be anything more then a third down rusher or situational.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Celtics_Champs » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:16 am

According to Fox 25 Brandon Browner in for a visit tomorrow. Interesting...
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,902

Post#25 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:50 am

If they can get Nicks, would be darn great... How much would Nicks cost guys? 7-8 mils a year? less than that? The pats only have 7 mils in cap left...
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#26 » by sunshinekids99 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:00 pm

Boston34Bg wrote:If they can get Nicks, would be darn great... How much would Nicks cost guys? 7-8 mils a year? less than that? The pats only have 7 mils in cap left...

I think Nicks is line for a smaller one year "prove it" type deal.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Celtics_Champs » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:36 pm

Wilfork is a staple of this organization. Sad to see him gone. Shocked he wouldn't restructure.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,811

Post#28 » by Parliament10 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:50 pm

Tommy Kelly restructures pact

By Field Yates | ESPNBoston.com
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-engl ... tures-pact
Kelly was set to earn $2.5 million in his contract -- $1.95 million in base salary, a $50,000 workout bonus and $500,000 in per-game roster bonuses.

As part of the restructured pact, it now breaks down this way:

Signing bonus: $100,000
Base salary: $955,000
Roster bonuses: $800,000 ($50K per game he's on the 46-man active list)
Total value: $1.85 million

The deal also includes the following playing-time incentives:

20 percent -- $95,000
30 percent -- $195,000
40 percent -- $345,000
50 percent -- $495,000
60 percent -- $645,000
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#29 » by Parliament10 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:55 pm

Contract at heart of Vince Wilfork news

By Mike Reiss | ESPNBoston.com
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-engl ... lfork-news
Wilfork's viewpoint: When Wilfork first joined the Patriots as the 21st overall pick in the draft, he was locked into a six-year deal, which was the maximum length for rookies at the time. He quickly elevated to a high level of play, yet it took until the start of his seventh season for him to land the big-money contract most players covet, which in his case was a five-year, $40 million deal. That was a long struggle for Wilfork and in 2009, it was clear to many of those covering the team on a daily basis how it affected him. He had a sign in his locker reminding himself to just do his job. Wilfork ultimately earned about $32 million of that money, and that provides some context as to why he might be reluctant to accept any type of reduction from New England.

Patriots' viewpoint: Wilfork has been a stalwart on the field, in addition to a pillar in the community, and from that standpoint he falls into a category of players who warrant Patriots Hall of Fame consideration and the type of honorary day reserved for players who start and finish their career with the team. But part of the Patriots' successful approach is not to be driven by sentiment. For a player of Wilfork's size (6-foot-2, 325 pounds) and age (32), continuing to perform at a high level while coming back from a torn Achilles is not guaranteed. The team paid Wilfork $6.5 million last season and Wilfork was lost for the season after four games. The risk of possibly paying him $7.5 million this year and not getting return on the investment is something they likely didn't feel comfortable assuming. If the Patriots follow through and release Wilfork, the team will clear $7.5 million of space on the salary cap.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by sully00 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:03 am

Celtics_Champs wrote:Wilfork is a staple of this organization. Sad to see him gone. Shocked he wouldn't restructure.

I have been listening to the talk on this and the situation is that he can't really restructure he only has one year left so he would essentially be negotiating an extension and unless that extension is an over payment of the 7.5 mil he has coming then I can see his point. Waive me and let me negotiate as a FA instead of this limbo situation he is in right now.

Hope he is back but it isn't likely but my guess is that it was really hard for the Pats to come up with an offer that makes sense.

Love the guy one of my favorite Pats of all time I remember being so pumped when they got him in the draft. Really wish him the best.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#31 » by Parliament10 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:05 am

TE Michael Hoomanawanui, Re-signed

http://www.chatsports.com/new-england-p ... -0-9480742
Buried in the news about Darrelle Revis coming and Vince Wilfork (possibly) going, New England Patriots tight end Michael Hoomanawanui agreed to stay, signing a new contract with the team. Now we're getting a peek at what the numbers look like for Hooman's pact.

According to the Baltimore Sun's Aaron Wilson (@RavensInsider), who doubles as a writer for the National Football Post, it's a two-year deal worth $2.4 million with $1.1 million guaranteed and a $360,000 signing bonus.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by Celtics_Champs » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:36 am

Now maybe browner? Wow.... It's nice the years the pats treat us to a spending offseason
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by sully00 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:37 am

3 years 17 mil total for Browner. Why is everyone talking about this dude playing safety? I know he is big but I thought he was a pretty solid cover corner isn't that point? I like Arrington and McCordy playing CF I don't want them playing corner back.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Celtics_Champs » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:41 am

Well we still have Dennard. Fact of the matter is though it's nice to be stacked in this area, I don't think we've been stacked in the secondary in ever. Including Harrison/Law or Milloy/Law. This is by far the best secondary I've seen in NE.

So pumped.

If we can somehow retain edelman and keep vince for short money I may kiss Belichick on the lips if I ever meet him. For the first time since 2007 they made moves to make our team look good on paper. Now it's time to prove it.
Geoffrey P
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 521

Post#35 » by Geoffrey P » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:31 am

I always get a kick out of the whole "do what's best for my family" when players try to justify going somewhere else. I don't care who says it, it still makes them look like a jackass 95% of the time considering these guys make millions of dollars.

And Wilfork's been my favorite player but what the hell is up with him. He's a porker and at his age and his injury last season damn straight I'm trying to lessen that cap hit.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#36 » by sunshinekids99 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:30 am

Geoffrey P wrote:I always get a kick out of the whole "do what's best for my family" when players try to justify going somewhere else. I don't care who says it, it still makes them look like a jackass 95% of the time considering these guys make millions of dollars.

And Wilfork's been my favorite player but what the hell is up with him. He's a porker and at his age and his injury last season damn straight I'm trying to lessen that cap hit.

I wouldn't be too happy being asked to take a pay cut either. Doesn't matter how much he makes he's allowed to maximize his worth while he still can.

As for the team I'm pretty happy with how the offseason is going now, but they still have some serious holes on this team. They still need another safety, receivers, serious help to the guards/center spot, and possible now a DT that can stop the run.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by sully00 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:29 pm

The fact that Vince is still a Patriot makes me think that Vince was just throwing his weight around, maybe trying to get Kraft involved. He knows the team has cap space right now and that cutting him leaves almost 4 mil of dead money on the cap, that is really not the Patriot way.

It would seem they want Vince to free up money more than they want to move on. So that is going to help him stay with the team but it puts Vince in a bad spot as far as the Pat's may be just as likely to waive him in Sept. as they are now.
Geoffrey P
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 521

Post#38 » by Geoffrey P » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:55 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgUaZtkTy1A[/youtube]

When was the last time we've seen a hit like that :love:

Edelman's back. Haven't seen anything on the terms though
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,800

Post#39 » by ash_k » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:13 pm

Still waiting for that one "more" established receiver addition
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.
ash_k
RealGM
And1: 8,800

Post#40 » by ash_k » Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:53 am

Patriots to meet with Kenny Britt!!!
Sinant wrote:I treat the Phoenix/Cleveland/Boston Shaqs like I do Wizards MJ. Never happened.

Return to New England Patriots