Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,908

Patriots Season Thread 2014-15 

Post#1 » by Parliament10 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:32 am

NFL Practice Squads Expand to 10 Players

http://nflcommunications.com/2014/08/19 ... 0-players/
In addition, the criteria for Practice Squad eligibility has been expanded in two respects.

First, a player must have a minimum of six games – up from the current three games – on a Practice Squad in order for that season to count as one of the player’s three permissible seasons of Practice Squad service.

Second, each club will be permitted to sign a maximum of two Practice Squad players who have earned no more than two accrued seasons of free agency credit. Absent this exception, a player who has earned one or more accrued seasons would not be eligible for a Practice Squad unless the player spent fewer than nine games on a club’s 46-player active list in each of his accrued seasons.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Re: NE Patriots Season Thread (2014-15) 

Post#2 » by Parliament10 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:52 am

Patriots Worth $2.6 Billion, 2nd-Most in NFL
By Gary Dzen | Boston.com Staff | August 20, 2014 12:24 PM

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/p ... story.html
The New England Patriots, that little team that plays on Route 1, are worth more than $2.6 billion, according to the latest Forbes survey.

The Patriots are the second-highest valued franchise in the NFL, after the Dallas Cowboys ($3.4 billion). Dallas becomes the first NFL team to top $3 billion, rising more than $900 million in value in the last year. The Redskins, Giants, and Texans round out the top-five most valuable NFL franchises. The average NFL franchise is now worth $1.43 billion, according to Forbes.

Robert Kraft paid $172 million for the Patriots in 1994. The Pats have an annual operating income of $147.2 million, and revenues of $428 million.

Forbes.com
http://www.forbes.com/teams/new-england-patriots/
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#3 » by truth18 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:22 pm

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?stor ... m%2F%22%7D

We have traded Logan Mankins for TE Tim Wright and an undisclosed pick.
YOU LOSE
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Logan Mankins traded 

Post#4 » by sam_I_am » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:24 pm

I'm stunned. Not sure I like this. Without a dominant OL, Brady and the offense could look a lot worse.
Geoffrey P
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 521

Re: Logan Mankins traded 

Post#5 » by Geoffrey P » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:28 pm

Er, not sure I like these past two days. They let go of Mankins, Kelly, Will Smith, James Anderson.

And FWIW Wright is ANOTHER Rutgers guy. :nonono:
truth18
RealGM

Re: Logan Mankins traded 

Post#6 » by truth18 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:40 pm

Posted this in the season thread already, this forum really doesn't need the clutter so I feel like we should just discuss it in there.

Seriously though? Mankins was OVERRATED this is a great deal for us that frees up tons of money. If Wright produces decently, that's just icing on the cake.

I would be lying if I said I wasn't very sad to see him leave, but its not 2010 anymore, he's choked in the playoffs the past few years, and his pay no longer fits his performance. This is a great, great trade for us AND the Bucs.
YOU LOSE
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#7 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:33 am

Spending a lot of time watching the bucs last year I really like this Tim Wright kid. Despite losing a all pro guard today this offense just improved their points per game IMHO. Connolly or Cannon will slot in and it will be like nothing changed on the Oline and we added a new good weapon for Brady to throw to. A TE at that, Brady's favorite.

With that said, yeah it sucks seeing mankins go. I really liked his effort and seemed like a true patriot. But he did hold out 10 games one year. Ya gotta wonder if BB holds grudges against guys like that. Let Seymour go at the end of preseason and now Mankins.

I wish him well in Tampa.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#8 » by sully00 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:45 pm

I am of two minds on this I don't see how this makes our team better. The other side of me says that Mankins is 32 years old making 6.5 mil in salary and while he is credited for being a tough guy for playing through terrible injuries the issue at this point is that he always looks like he is playing through an injury. He will be missed but not for his pass blocking and that is what he is getting paid for.

I don't think there is a ton to read into on this I think Mankins was candidate to be released and there was actually interest in a trade for him so Bill took the pick. Whether or not that is a good decision is yet to play out. The line sucked last year and needed to be overhauled and now it has.

I would love for there to be another shoe to drop (Andre Johnson) but I can understand it even if I don't really like it.
Smitty731
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 24,662

Post#9 » by Smitty731 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:25 pm

I basically go with, "In Bill We Trust" with this move. I like Wright as a move TE, who can add some of what was lost with Hernandez. I love Mankins for his toughness and willingness to play through the whistle. He also enforced things a lot, if a guy got an extra hit in on a Patriot. I do think his position is one of the easier replaced spots though and the Pats have depth there.

Overall, I think things will be fine. Belichick doesn't usually let guys go who come back to haunt us. I think they will be just fine.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#10 » by sam_I_am » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:08 pm

I guess it makes more sense today. Mankind (that's a funny spellcheck - meant Mankins) wouldn't restructure and a guard who is slotted to make 6.5 m for 3 more years has to be elite. Wright and a 4th is not a terrible haul for an overpaid 32 yo - if he really is on decline. I think he will be a boon in Tampa as his run blocking is special. Martin is going to love running behind him.
truth18
RealGM

Post#11 » by truth18 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:32 pm

Should we take a look at Michael Sam? The Rams just released him.
YOU LOSE
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#12 » by Parliament10 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:22 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/tomecurran/status/505808806170075136[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jeffphowe/status/505733731735568384[/tweet]

Open thread, on roster cuts.:
http://www.nepatriotsdraft.com/2014/08/ ... hread.html
4:38 PM: The final roster move is the release of Long Snapper Danny Aiken. This is a mild surprise because it leaves the Patriots without a full time snapper (Rob Ninkovich is the emergency snapper). LB James Morris was not released, but place on Injured Reserve, so his season is over. Right now it’s safe to say the Patriots roster isn’t complete as they don’t have a snapper and there are some unbalanced position. I can’t see them carrying 10 OL into the season or just five Linebackers for that matter.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#13 » by Parliament10 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:43 am

N.F.L. Domestic Violence Policy Toughened in Wake of Ray Rice Case
By KEN BELSON | The New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/29/sport ... .html?_r=0
“My disciplinary decision led the public to question our sincerity, our commitment and whether we understood the toll that domestic violence inflicts on so many families,” Goodell said in a letter to team owners. “I take responsibility both for the decision and for ensuring that our actions in the future properly reflect our values. I didn’t get it right. Simply put, we have to do better. And we will.”

Goodell said that effective immediately any N.F.L. employee — not only a player — who is found to have engaged in assault, battery, domestic violence or sexual assault that involved physical force will be suspended without pay for six games for a first offense. Second-time offenders will be banished from the league for at least one year.

Goodell said that second-time offenders could petition to be reinstated after one year, but that “there will be no presumption or assurance that the petition will be granted.”

[tweet]https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/505061052904910848[/tweet]
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Geoffrey P
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Geoffrey P » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:49 am

I'll admit I know nothing about Sam except for the fact that he has alligator arms.

Scratching my head at a lot of these releases though. Kelly, the one long snapper, Beauharnais, Boyce, etc.

New standards for DV are good though. Better late than never. However I still think it's ridiculous that someone gets a year for pot and I've never smoked it once in my life. So I'm wondering if Gordon's suspension has also due to something that we don't know about.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#15 » by Celtics_Champs » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:43 pm

Mallett traded to the Texans.
truth18
RealGM

Post#16 » by truth18 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:13 pm

Geoffrey P wrote:I'll admit I know nothing about Sam except for the fact that he has alligator arms.

Scratching my head at a lot of these releases though. Kelly, the one long snapper, Beauharnais, Boyce, etc.

New standards for DV are good though. Better late than never. However I still think it's ridiculous that someone gets a year for pot and I've never smoked it once in my life. So I'm wondering if Gordon's suspension has also due to something that we don't know about.

He deserves the suspension 100% imo. I'm a regular cannabis smoker and it isn't hard to stop for a few months at all. Clearly he has a problem with self control if he can't stop smoking. This wasn't his first offense and he knew better. I've known a few people who had friends in the NFL and they say the most widely abused drug is mj, so other players must simply be stopping a few months before the test. Add a DUI on top of that stuff and I understand the suspension.

That said, two games for Ray Rice? That's pretty stupid next to this stuff. He should have been suspended for the season
YOU LOSE
Geoffrey P
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by Geoffrey P » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:44 pm

Mallet traded to Texans for a 7th round pick in 2016... 6th round if he plays more than 40% of the snaps.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#18 » by Parliament10 » Mon Sep 1, 2014 1:01 am

Geoffrey P wrote:I'll admit I know nothing about Sam except for the fact that he has alligator arms.

No long snapper. That's whacked. They're probably bringing someone in.
DV rules -- About time. No place for that.

truth18 wrote:He deserves the suspension 100% imo. I'm a regular cannabis smoker and it isn't hard to stop for a few months at all. Clearly he has a problem with self control if he can't stop smoking. This wasn't his first offense and he knew better. I've known a few people who had friends in the NFL and they say the most widely abused drug is mj, so other players must simply be stopping a few months before the test. Add a DUI on top of that stuff and I understand the suspension.

That said, two games for Ray Rice? That's pretty stupid next to this stuff. He should have been suspended for the season

Yeah. They can ease up on the Mary Jane for a few months.
Ray Rice though? That was way too lenient. They should have cracked down AGES ago.
There's just no place for that. And with these guys being role models and so forth, they have to be held to a higher standard. They're Professionals. -- Ie. if a Judge, or Police Office did that, they'd be booted.

Mallet. I guess the Writing was on the Wall. Garoppolo though, doesn't strike me as ready-to-step-in.
Brady had that ability, from day one. Now at 37, his throws are off kilter a bit. No doubt.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#19 » by Parliament10 » Mon Sep 1, 2014 8:33 pm

Gronkowski ready to go for Week 1 in Miami
By: Phil Perry | September 1, 2014, 12:15 pm

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk ... ek-1-miami
Rob Gronkowski -- whose 2013 season ended when he tore the ACL and MCL in his right knee during the Pats' 27-26 victory over the Browns last December -- held court in the Patriots locker room on Monday and told reporters that he would be in action for New England's Week 1 contest.

"I'm ready to go," he said. "I'm ready to be out there. I'm ready to hit. I'm ready to start going."

Gronkowski and the Patriots have been building toward this all offseason, it seems. During OTAs and minicamp, he was a limited participant who ran conditioning drills with a group of teammates rehabbing various injuries. As training camp started, his workload began to pick up slowly. He ran routes with Tom Brady one week, the next he performed blocking drills. His repetitions increased steadily until he participated in 7-on-7 and then 11-on-11 work in the final week of camp practices.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
truth18
RealGM

Post#20 » by truth18 » Sun Sep 7, 2014 3:27 pm

GO PATRIOTS
YOU LOSE

Return to New England Patriots