ImageImageImageImage

NFL's investigative report

Moderator: Parliament10

Marley2Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 2,426

Re: NFL's investigative report 

Post#21 » by Marley2Hendrix » Tue May 12, 2015 12:55 pm

sully00 wrote:I know the next step is supposed to be appeal but I think it will be a defamation law suit and injunction. The problem for the league is that they have to be suspending Brady for tampering with the footballs at the AFC Championship game. They have to be able to prove the balls were tampered with. What the report says is that we have believe Walt Anderson's recollection when it comes to checking the pressure prior to the game but ignore his recollection when it comes to the device he used to do so. No judge is going to care about the argument that "we knew they were doing it and only caught them this time" if they don't have real evidence that they caught them.

If they have the evidence then they should have wrote a better report because no judge is going to care that Brady didn't cooperate with a which hunt. They could have done whatever they wanted to the team and Kraft would have eaten it but now it is bigger than that and Brady has a lot more options at his disposal to defend himself and little reason not to do so.

I'd make a sig bet and throw $100 hypothetical dollars Brady gets nowhere with a defamation. Sincerely not trying to troll, but I'm taken aback a bit by how much people here discredit the report. Not that it matters, but with some Boston roots, I'd definitely lean toward favoring the pats.

Interestingly, my original take as indicated in the OP:

Four game suspension seems like a minimum, and given NE's reluctance to allow the follow-up interview with one of the co-conspirators and unwillingness with Brady's electronic devices, it would seem appropriate for them to be penalized in some fashion (particularly given their relatively recent past misgivings).

Seems pretty spot on.
You gotta make it sexy! Hips and nips, otherwise I'm not eating.
Geoffrey P
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 521

Post#22 » by Geoffrey P » Tue May 12, 2015 5:21 pm

Thank god the general NFL forum is so full of willing participants who know what the hell they're talking about.

And yea I can't see him getting anywhere with defamation. Biggest problem I have with the report is the evidence. Sure, balls were under inflated but you're doing all of this based on "more probable than not"? Also the fact that wife beating and crap is totally a-okay and clearly not as bad as deflating balls with the reasoning being "more probable than not". The league's being an absolute joke about it. And quite possibly they couldn't have handled it any worse IMO.
truth18
RealGM
And1: 42,830

Post#23 » by truth18 » Tue May 12, 2015 5:23 pm

Geoffrey P wrote:Thank god the general NFL forum is so full of willing participants who know what the hell they're talking about.

And yea I can't see him getting anywhere with defamation. Biggest problem I have with the report is the evidence. Sure, balls were under inflated but you're doing all of this based on "more probable than not"? Also the fact that wife beating and crap is totally a-okay and clearly not as bad as deflating balls with the reasoning being "more probable than not". The league's being an absolute joke about it. And quite possibly they couldn't have handled it any worse IMO.

They couldnt have. The media could not have been worse either. They may have actually damaged Brady's reputation in the eyes of many casuals. **** is one CNN every other minute.

This stuff really should not effect his legacy. It's ridiculous.
YOU LOSE
truth18
RealGM

Post#24 » by truth18 » Tue May 12, 2015 6:25 pm

I can't handle the fools on the general NFL board anymore. Just ridiculous people.
YOU LOSE
Geoffrey P
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Geoffrey P » Tue May 12, 2015 6:32 pm

truth18 wrote:I can't handle the fools on the general NFL board anymore. Just ridiculous people.

That's why I don't go to any GB.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#26 » by GuyClinch » Wed May 13, 2015 8:22 am

Look for Brady's Lawyer to attack this from an anti-trust/labor angle. You have a company denying a man his earnings because of something that may have been done - they he may have been involved in. His laywer has had good success going against the NFL and NBA. Look for multiple lawsuits to come out of the Brady legal team. Labor Law is very strong in this country and the court system takes this kind of thing very seriously. It's really hard to punish union guys - even when they sign away their rights. They have rights that supersede contract law.
Froob
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 58,310

Post#27 » by Froob » Wed May 20, 2015 4:06 am

Kraft has no spine, he doesn't deserve this team or this fanbase. Even if he didn't get the picks back I would have respected him if he went down swinging but instead he sided with the billionaire owners. He went from a legend to being booed everytime he comes on stage in his own town. If BB and Brady want to leave I wouldn't blame them one bit. The really sad thing is BB has always had everyone's back, he defended Tomlin during tripgate II and Carol after the SB interception but when he needs help nobody is there to defend him. Not even his own boss.

Tommy Heinsohn wrote:The game is not over until they look you in the face and start crying.

RIP The_Hater
ElGee
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,202

Post#28 » by ElGee » Sat May 23, 2015 9:03 pm

A few things you guys might be interested in:

-the fumbling data thrown around a while ago was simply wrong. It used selective samples, was cherry picked, and made improper statistical assumptions to try and claim the Patriots were freakish outliers. Here's a more complete take: http://www.backpicks.com/2015/05/17/fum ... ot-trends/

-The Wells Report data pretty much exonerates the Patriots, leaving a small (and logically confusing) window open that they tampered with the balls: http://www.backpicks.com/2015/05/22/the ... late-gate/

-The non-statistical evidence in the Wells Report increases the unlikelihood of foul play IMO because it makes it nearly impossible to reconcile a story with the data at hand, which is discussed in part 4 of this post: http://www.backpicks.com/2015/05/17/the ... late-gate/
Check out and discuss my book, now on Kindle! http://www.backpicks.com/thinking-basketball/
truth18
RealGM

Post#29 » by truth18 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:41 pm

Just got home and the TV/ESPN was on (for my cat). Heard Whitlock actually make a decent point for one on that pti show (paraphrasing):

Goodell is likely doing this to quell criticism (correct criticism imo) from the many lesser role players as well as black players who feel there is an unfair dichotomy in how they are punished by the league for infractions. He said the only other person that those parties would prefer to see in Brady's position is Manning.

Keep in mind Brian Whitlock, and myself, are black.

Makes a ton of sense to me.
YOU LOSE
Geoffrey P
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Geoffrey P » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:58 pm

Yea caution to outsiders here. When your report is based off of "more probably than not", which in statistics terms is 51% or greater, you better have a damn good argument coming in here.

Return to New England Patriots