ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,943

Game 21: Indiana Pacers (10-10) @ Golden State Warriors (17-3) - 10:30 PM ET 

Post#1 » by ducler » Mon Dec 5, 2016 11:00 pm

SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Re: Game 21: Indiana Pacers (10-10) @ Golden State Warriors (17-3) - 10:30 PM ET 

Post#2 » by SmashMouthRod » Tue Dec 6, 2016 4:08 am

Klay is killing Ellis. For whatever reason McMillan decided to stick with Ellis. Not sure what its going to take to get it through his head that the undersized backcourt hasnt been an advantage (offensively or defensively); in fact its been a mismatch for plenty of opposing teams.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie

Re: Game 21: Indiana Pacers (10-10) @ Golden State Warriors (17-3) - 10:30 PM ET 

Post#3 » by SmashMouthRod » Tue Dec 6, 2016 4:10 am

17 in the first quarter for Klay Thompson.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie

Post#4 » by SmashMouthRod » Tue Dec 6, 2016 4:11 am

This is a moment that Frank is missed. I know Frank wouldve made the adjustment.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 825

Post#5 » by Pacersike » Tue Dec 6, 2016 7:29 am

Pacers defense got torn apart by the Warriors.
Monta was awful, but were players like Rodney and Paul that much better?

Durant only had 20 points, but he was 9-14 and could have gone off for more points if he had wanted too.
This team has problems. Monta Ellis as a starter is just one of them and not even a major one IMO

I have always doubted the leadership of Paul George and so far it has only showed up when he is forcing it.
It should come more naturally and not only on special team meetings, but every game.

Durant calling Paul George his favorite player. **** sake, why do they all have to be so nice for eachother?
If the opponent would call Paul George one of the most overrated players in the NBA, now that could potentially turn the killer switch in PG on.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,712

Post#6 » by Pacers_Freak » Tue Dec 6, 2016 1:40 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:Klay is killing Ellis. For whatever reason McMillan decided to stick with Ellis. Not sure what its going to take to get it through his head that the undersized backcourt hasnt been an advantage (offensively or defensively); in fact its been a mismatch for plenty of opposing teams.

Monta being undersized was not the issue in the 1st quarter. Klay was hitting open 3s and runouts. Monta coulda been 7 feet tall and it would have been irrelevant. Honestly, anyone not expecting this outcome is unrealistic. We were coming off a tough win the night before and the best team in the NBA was well rested. Told my wife before the tip this is gonna be ugly and it will get ugly fast. If we can get wins at Phoenix and Dallas (we should) then we go 3-2 on the west coast swing and I think everyone would take that.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie

Post#7 » by SmashMouthRod » Tue Dec 6, 2016 2:43 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:
SmashMouthRod wrote:Klay is killing Ellis. For whatever reason McMillan decided to stick with Ellis. Not sure what its going to take to get it through his head that the undersized backcourt hasnt been an advantage (offensively or defensively); in fact its been a mismatch for plenty of opposing teams.

Monta being undersized was not the issue in the 1st quarter. Klay was hitting open 3s and runouts. Monta coulda been 7 feet tall and it would have been irrelevant. Honestly, anyone not expecting this outcome is unrealistic. We were coming off a tough win the night before and the best team in the NBA was well rested. Told my wife before the tip this is gonna be ugly and it will get ugly fast. If we can get wins at Phoenix and Dallas (we should) then we go 3-2 on the west coast swing and I think everyone would take that.

Not sure how one should expect a fairly young team (key players) like Indy to get blown out just because its a back to back. Obviously 60 points from Klay Thompson isnt the norm. Did u think u made a good point by saying he hit open threes? Klay is the starter at the two guard position so who's man is he? Ellis defending him last night and the previous game against Golden State (you know the one we were also blown out in) is a good reason for Klay's comfort that he hasnt seemed to have against most other teams this year. I watched the hawks play golden state tough. I can argue that Indy is at least as talented as the hawks. But we should just expect to be blown out everytime we see them? In fact many were trying to figure out why Klay had been struggling shooting the basketball this season. Paul stated earlier this season that he didnt like how the team seemed comfortable giving up points. Also if you think back to last season Ellis was cooked by Klay Thompson. Crazy is doing the samething over and over and expecting different results.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,712

Post#8 » by Pacers_Freak » Tue Dec 6, 2016 2:48 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:
Pacers_Freak wrote:

Not sure how one should expect a fairly young team (key players) like Indy to get blown out just because its a back to back. Obviously 60 points from Klay Thompson isnt the norm. Did u think u made a good point by saying he hit open threes? Klay is the starter at the two guard position so who's man is he? Ellis defending him last night and the previous game against Golden State (you know the one we were also blown out in) is a good reason for Klay's comfort that he hasnt seemed to have against most other teams this year. I watched the hawks play golden state tough. I can argue that Indy is at least as talented as the hawks. But we should just expect to be blown out everytime we see them? In fact many were trying to figure out why Klay had been struggling shooting the basketball this season. Paul stated earlier this season that he didnt like how the team seemed comfortable giving up points. Also if you think back to last season Ellis was cooked by Klay Thompson. Crazy is doing the samething over and over and expecting different results.

I don't disagree Ellis got torched. Never said that. I was disagreeing with your point about playing a small 2 guard killed us. His size was irrelevant last night is the point. If you wanted to gripe about having a small 2 guard the night Kidd-Gilchrest posted him up over and over again that would have been a very good point. I was simply disagreeing that the fact our back court is "undersized" hurt us last night. Because it didn't.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie

Post#9 » by SmashMouthRod » Tue Dec 6, 2016 3:19 pm

Pacersike wrote:Pacers defense got torn apart by the Warriors.
Monta was awful, but were players like Rodney and Paul that much better?

Durant only had 20 points, but he was 9-14 and could have gone off for more points if he had wanted too.
This team has problems. Monta Ellis as a starter is just one of them and not even a major one IMO

I have always doubted the leadership of Paul George and so far it has only showed up when he is forcing it.
It should come more naturally and not only on special team meetings, but every game.

Durant calling Paul George his favorite player. **** sake, why do they all have to be so nice for eachother?
If the opponent would call Paul George one of the most overrated players in the NBA, now that could potentially turn the killer switch in PG on.

Good points. I think Frank made up for the leadership the roster was lacking. Not sure if McMillan brings the same personality to the table.
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#10 » by old rem » Tue Dec 6, 2016 5:55 pm

Pacers_Freak wrote:

Indy is pretty much an AVERAGE team. It's HARD to go back to back-on the road at Oracle vs the TOP team. Then....Klay is a streak shooter. If he's hot.... forget it. You can't slack off on Curry + Durant. I LIKE Monta but... Klay has 4" on him and Monta got no help.
Really.. nobody else could D him. When Klay is in the zone..... and you ALSO see two MVPS out there? Ain't easy.

Pacers started out okay.. then.....it was just an unsolvable problem. Pacers really never had any chance. When Klay is smokin' hot....when GSW is passing, doing D.....you may as well take notes. :roll:
CENSORED... No comment.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#11 » by pacers33granger » Tue Dec 6, 2016 6:37 pm

Pacersike wrote:

Unfortunately I have to agree here. Can't recall exactly who it was, but at one point in the 2nd quarter he stood there and watched as a Warrior took his time with an open corner three. I get that you're down big and it's super disheartening to basically lose the game that quickly, but come on.

Which is also why I'm still fine with Monta despite his mostly horrible play this year. He's got definite limitations and makes some questionable decisions, but at least he tries. Same with Stuckey. That said, as good as both have been as leaders, it's a bad sign if they are your leaders. Teague, Thad, and Big Al just don't seem to be the leader type. Though one ray of hope is that Myles seems like he has the personality to get there, just far too inexperienced right now.

We could really use a vet whose a year or two away from coaching and is fine getting constant DNPs, like a Kevin Ollie or Earl Watson. Just don't think there's any guy left out there like that now.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#12 » by Wizop » Tue Dec 6, 2016 8:44 pm

I didn't expect to win this game so I chose not to even watch it. I went to bed after the Colts game. that said, I don't understand why McMillan is willing to adjust the 2nd unit to reflect the match-ups but is unwilling to adjust the starters. It should have been obvious before the game that Ellis couldn't handle Thompson even though he'd played well against the Clippers. if not before the game, then after a minute or two and certainly by the end of the first quarter.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Miller4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 283

Post#13 » by Miller4ever » Wed Dec 7, 2016 9:52 am

pacers33granger wrote:Which is also why I'm still fine with Monta despite his mostly horrible play this year. He's got definite limitations and makes some questionable decisions, but at least he tries.

...on one end of the floor.

Return to Indiana Pacers