Official: Granger/2015 2nd to Philly for Evan Turner and Lavoy Allen

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Re: Official: Granger/2015 2nd to Philly for Evan Turner and 

Post#61 » by Wizop » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:17 am

mikepacernation wrote:Does anyone know if Turner will be playing tomorrow?

I read they won't be in Milwaukee but will be in Indy Sunday presumably at a press conference.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
SJSF
Banned User
And1: 310

Post#62 » by SJSF » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:15 pm

FYI. Turner I always felt played well against LeBron. He was physical against him. Turner is pretty solid
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#63 » by 8305 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:11 pm

Gotta feel sorry for Danny. But, it is a business and to the extent Danny is an asset the Pacers owed it to themselves and the fan base to salvage what they could from it rather than have it evaporate at season's end. This deal has very little down side for Indiana. Players who can help now and some flexibilty in the offseason. At the end of the day players and fans have nothing to complain about. Pacers are trying to win a championship this year and working every angle to get it done.

If Danny were playing better I'd be surprised if this deal goes down. And from ownership perspective Danny was paid between 25-30 mil the last two years and with little to no productivity to show for it. Its not like they were unfair to Danny in that respect.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#64 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:33 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
Jake0890 wrote:We traded Danny for Evan Turner and Lavoy Allen..

But now, where does the moeny come from to re-sign Lance?

They are both 1 yr contracts. I would look for us to dump Scola and Cope on draft day or right before. Maybe even see Mahinmi go elsewhere.

Resigning Lance is a huge priority but can you imagine bringing back Lance and Turner, trading Scola, Cope and Ian for late #1 or a early #2.

Scola, Cope, and Ian don't have that kind of market, unless we're willing to eat salary, which we aren't. If we look for pure cap space, we'd be lucky to get it for any. Pure cap space just doesn't go for that, in the new CBA.

Yeah it's a little wishful thinking we'd likely have to pay to get someone to take on Copeland, but we need to open up the space to keep Lance and I'd love to keep Turner too.
cammac
General Manager
And1: 6,216

Post#65 » by cammac » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:03 pm

I see Philly offering Stephenson the Max your prize is E. Turner but will likely will keep you under the cap.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#66 » by Wizop » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:12 pm

cammac wrote:I see Philly offering Stephenson the Max your prize is E. Turner but will likely will keep you under the cap.

we're well over the cap. it is the luxury tax we're staying under.

that said, you think Lance will get the max? we've been thinking someone would offer him a deal in the range of DWest not a Hibbert sized deal. maybe his value has exploded that far.
cammac
General Manager
And1: 6,216

Post#67 » by cammac » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:43 pm

Wizop wrote:
cammac wrote:I see Philly offering Stephenson the Max your prize is E. Turner but will likely will keep you under the cap.

we're well over the cap. it is the luxury tax we're staying under.

that said, you think Lance will get the max? we've been thinking someone would offer him a deal in the range of DWest not a Hibbert sized deal. maybe his value has exploded that far.

Yes they have basically no large contracts if they get Wiggins then Stephenson would be great.
Stephenson is the best free agent.
Then someone will make you overpay for Turner.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#68 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:00 pm

In pure terms of potential and explosive talent, Lance may be worth a max. However, with the still massive flaws in his games and still major red flags, I don't see many, if any teams, willing to make a 4 year commitment over $90m. I think gm's will be wary of Lance to an extent.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#69 » by 8305 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:44 pm

I could see Lance being a total train wreck in the wrong situation. Put him on a young leaderless team with a coach who can't keep things under control. I'd be surprised if Lance handled that situation very well.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#70 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:35 pm

8305 wrote:I could see Lance being a total train wreck in the wrong situation. Put him on a young leaderless team with a coach who can't keep things under control. I'd be surprised if Lance handled that situation very well.

Yup. I also think that playing and living in Philly, NY, Brooklyn, DC, or Boston would be the worst cities for him and be too tempting to head home for a night or two. He needs to stay far away from that.
MNPacersfan
Junior
And1: 14

Post#71 » by MNPacersfan » Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:45 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Also, Lavoy Allen is a restricted free agent this off-season, too.

Allen was a 2nd rounder so it appears that he's unrestricted at the end of the season.

It would seem that Copeland is the most likely to be traded in the off-season. An expiring $3mill salary is worth a flyer. Mahinmi is another story. No one will want to take on $8mill over 2 years without exchanging it for an equally odorous contract. I wonder how disappointed they've been with Watson as well. He's been way too shot happy recently and it's disrupting the 2nd unit. If they're not happy with his play his contract would be an easy move as well.

Isn't Scola's contract only partially guaranteed?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#72 » by Wizop » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:40 pm

they haven't been unhappy enough with Watson to play Sloan although Turner will give them new options. it feels like our coaches are reluctant to mess with the rotation for fear of disrupting chemistry. you know they had the option to just bench Granger and play Butler and it is worth thinking about why they didn't.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:48 pm

MNPacersfan wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Also, Lavoy Allen is a restricted free agent this off-season, too.

Allen was a 2nd rounder so it appears that he's unrestricted at the end of the season.

It would seem that Copeland is the most likely to be traded in the off-season. An expiring $3mill salary is worth a flyer. Mahinmi is another story. No one will want to take on $8mill over 2 years without exchanging it for an equally odorous contract. I wonder how disappointed they've been with Watson as well. He's been way too shot happy recently and it's disrupting the 2nd unit. If they're not happy with his play his contract would be an easy move as well.

Isn't Scola's contract only partially guaranteed?

This is only Allen's 3rd season so we have the option to extend a qualifying offer and make him a restricted free agent. The 2nd round pick doesn't matter. If we would have declined Lance's contract this past offseason, we could have made him a restricted free agent. The difference is that Lance will be completing his 4th season after being a 2nd rounder, so he will be unrestricted.

I believe Scola has $2.5m guaranteed, if I recall. Waiving him would save around $2.4m. I would think we'd plan on keeping either Scola or Cope. Not both, but also not neither (yeah, double negative, but you get the idea).
MNPacersfan
Junior
And1: 14

Post#74 » by MNPacersfan » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:48 pm

Wizop wrote:they haven't been unhappy enough with Watson to play Sloan although Turner will give them new options. it feels like our coaches are reluctant to mess with the rotation for fear of disrupting chemistry. you know they had the option to just bench Granger and play Butler and it is worth thinking about why they didn't.

Yeah, Turner's passing skills may be stronger than his scoring skills... Which could make him the 2nd unit's de facto PG to Watson's de facto SG...
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:04 am

MNPacersfan wrote:
Wizop wrote:they haven't been unhappy enough with Watson to play Sloan although Turner will give them new options. it feels like our coaches are reluctant to mess with the rotation for fear of disrupting chemistry. you know they had the option to just bench Granger and play Butler and it is worth thinking about why they didn't.

Yeah, Turner's passing skills may be stronger than his scoring skills... Which could make him the 2nd unit's de facto PG to Watson's de facto SG...

Either way, we live and die by the "combo guard" mold, which Turner fits well. Also, Hill, Lance, and CJ. All kind of the scoring, or combo guard, mold.
xBulletproof
Analyst
And1: 4,368

Post#76 » by xBulletproof » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:58 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:In pure terms of potential and explosive talent, Lance may be worth a max. However, with the still massive flaws in his games and still major red flags, I don't see many, if any teams, willing to make a 4 year commitment over $90m. I think gm's will be wary of Lance to an extent.

Lance's max would be 5 years for 78 million. The same John Wall signed for. Paul's is only 90 because he qualified for the Rose max. I've seen you on here enough to know you know that, just a memory slip I'm guessing. :)

If they don't want to give him the 5 year deal, a 4 year max is 60 million for 4 years, starting in the 13.7 million range. All subject to move a little based on the cap numbers, of course.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:05 am

xBulletproof wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:In pure terms of potential and explosive talent, Lance may be worth a max. However, with the still massive flaws in his games and still major red flags, I don't see many, if any teams, willing to make a 4 year commitment over $90m. I think gm's will be wary of Lance to an extent.

Lance's max would be 5 years for 78 million. The same John Wall signed for. Paul's is only 90 because he qualified for the Rose max. I've seen you on here enough to know you know that, just a memory slip I'm guessing. :)

If they don't want to give him the 5 year deal, a 4 year max is 60 million for 4 years, starting in the 13.7 million range. All subject to move a little based on the cap numbers, of course.

Lance's max would be 25% of the cap. With a rise in the cap to $62-ish million, and with max raises, he's likely a little over $78m, likely around $85m. The Wall number thrown around was before the cap was projected to rise, and projected in the cap that existed at the time. Thus, the Wall deal will likely be higher than $78m, too.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#78 » by Wizop » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:15 am

pacers.com now has video interviews with Bird, Tuner, and Allen
mikepacernation
Pro Prospect
And1: 44

Post#79 » by mikepacernation » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:28 am

They are in talks with granger for a buy out.
mikepacernation
Pro Prospect
And1: 44

Post#80 » by mikepacernation » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:16 am

I see Orlando Johnson will sign a 10 day with the kings.

Return to Indiana Pacers