Pacers Agree To Three-Year Deal With Damjan Rudez

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Re: Pacers Agree To Three-Year Deal With Damjan Rudez 

Post#21 » by Wizop » Thu Jul 3, 2014 12:35 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Looks like Bird is forcing Vogel to play some shooters this next year with the additions of Miles and this guy.

I suspect forcing is a little strong but I would bet they had a post season debriefing and agreed on some things to do differently next year.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#22 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jul 3, 2014 12:43 am

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Looks like Bird is forcing Vogel to play some shooters this next year with the additions of Miles and this guy.

I suspect forcing is a little strong but I would bet they had a post season debriefing and agreed on some things to do differently next year.

That may be a more tactful way to put it.

To me, these additions only make sense in that Cope sticks around, too. There definitely seems to be an influx of outside shooting from the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
EuroPacer
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Post#23 » by EuroPacer » Thu Jul 3, 2014 8:47 am

Karunel wrote:Hello there, Zaragoza native here, been a season ticket holder for as long as Rudez as been playing for our club and I'm here to rain in your parade- somewhat.

Hi Karunel, thanks for the report. I don't follow Euroleague basketball at all, but just had a quick look at your roster and you have Henk Norel on board as well, he was supposed to be a decent player but got injured. Rudez doesn't really excite me, certainly not after reading your report on him.

He sounds a lot like Teletovic (Nets) whom I really don't rate at all!
Vogel is Dutch for Bird.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,785

Post#24 » by UcanUwill » Thu Jul 3, 2014 9:12 am

IndieRuso420 wrote:I hope this move works but Saranus keeps coming to mind. All we heard was how good he was & he was garbage.

Sarunas was a great great European player. Tho IMO it was obvious he isn't NBA type. This signing is different, Rudez is a role player in Europe and he will be a role player in the NBA, you are not signing Sarunas esque European star. He has one elite skill - 3 point shooting.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#25 » by Wizop » Thu Jul 3, 2014 2:03 pm

we weren't willing to play the style Sarunus was good at. I don't think that will be a problem here although these new shooters will have to defend.
Global Game
Junior
And1: 70

Post#26 » by Global Game » Fri Jul 4, 2014 12:27 am

Good move. See value in player no one was valuing.
Low risk possible high reward.

Use a European league a talent pool
Mature
Cost efficient
Stretches the floor

Larry Birds new book: "Things I Learned From The Spurs Organization"

nice.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#27 » by SmashMouthRod » Fri Jul 4, 2014 2:34 am

EuroPacer wrote:He sounds a lot like Teletovic (Nets) whom I really don't rate at all!

If he is like Teletovic then its a good value signing; Because there were moments last season in short spells where Teletovic would hit several threes in a row; and he has had 20 or more points off the bench in very short minutes multiple times. Now if only Vogel will actually use guys like this we may actually get somewhere in improving the offense off the bench.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#28 » by Moooose » Fri Jul 4, 2014 6:20 am

^ He plays more of a small forward than a PF. Good handles and more mobile than Teletovic I think.
MillerTheKiller
Senior
And1: 269

Post#29 » by MillerTheKiller » Sat Jul 5, 2014 4:55 am

EuroPacer wrote:
Karunel wrote:Hello there, Zaragoza native here, been a season ticket holder for as long as Rudez as been playing for our club and I'm here to rain in your parade- somewhat.

Hi Karunel, thanks for the report. I don't follow Euroleague basketball at all, but just had a quick look at your roster and you have Henk Norel on board as well, he was supposed to be a decent player but got injured. Rudez doesn't really excite me, certainly not after reading your report on him.

He sounds a lot like Teletovic (Nets) whom I really don't rate at all!

Mate we should be happy if he plays a few minutes a game let alone turn out like Teletovic. :crazy:
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,351

Post#30 » by Nuntius » Sat Jul 5, 2014 3:25 pm

Boneman2 wrote:??? Clueless

Nuntius any input?

Sorry, I was away for a while. Vuc n Pek and Karunel are mostly spot on. Damjan is a 3 and his specialty is shooting. I think that he can help us as our defense is good enough to hide his lack of athleticism. We'll see if he hurts us in rebounding. I think that he will definitely help us offensively so I like this signing.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Nuntius » Sat Jul 5, 2014 3:33 pm

Karunel wrote:Second guy we lose this year to the NBA after Bucks took Giannis Antetokounmpo and it's kind of flattering for such a low budget team.

You always had a very good eye for talented youths and a good academy to bring them up. Madiop Ndiaye looks promising and last I heard you were also looking to bring in Nemanja Dangubic.
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#32 » by Boneman2 » Sat Jul 5, 2014 6:19 pm

Nuntius wrote:

Nuntius any input?

Sorry, I was away for a while. Vuc n Pek and Karunel are mostly spot on. Damjan is a 3 and his specialty is shooting. I think that he can help us as our defense is good enough to hide his lack of athleticism. We'll see if he hurts us in rebounding. I think that he will definitely help us offensively so I like this signing.

Thanks. I like the prospect of spreading the floor with his specialty but his physique leads me to believe he can be taught to adequately defend the perimeter as well as some post duties. In my eyes he doesn't look like a bullfighter.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jul 5, 2014 6:27 pm

Definitely strikes me as a guy that could play the 3 next to Paul George at the 2.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
tocooks
Banned User
And1: 13

Post#34 » by tocooks » Sun Jul 6, 2014 3:15 am

Dude reminds me of Linas Klieza. Dont mind the move though, low risk potentially high reward move to strength our bench.

Please god just let our bench be good one year.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#35 » by Wizop » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:35 pm

Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#36 » by Moooose » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:14 pm

I'm excited about this guy and how he will fit with the Pacers. Totally lightens up the burden from West and the inside guys. To me, that's the reason why we brought in Copeland. Unfortunately though, he was really caught in between the three and four, and he looked more comfortable defending perimeter shooting PF's and slower SF's. With Copeland in, we only have one option inside. With Rudez, the Pacers can really make use of the kick-out passes from the PF's and the centers.
MrTwister
Sixth Man
And1: 1,081

Post#37 » by MrTwister » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:56 pm

Nuntius wrote:

Nuntius any input?

I dont think he is not athletic, he is pretty mobile for his size,he can run fastbreaks, finish with contact but athleticism isn't first thing u notice about him, its shooting as i said :D

Here is some interview with him about recent signing.
http://www.eurohoops.net/2014/07/one-on-one/52643
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Nuntius » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:44 pm

Vuc N Pek wrote:
Nuntius wrote:

Nuntius any input?

I dont think he is not athletic, he is pretty mobile for his size,he can run fastbreaks, finish with contact but athleticism isn't first thing u notice about him, its shooting as i said :D

Here is some interview with him about recent signing.
http://www.eurohoops.net/2014/07/one-on-one/52643

He is mobile for his size but he isn't mobile for his position. Rudež is a 6'10 Combo Forward in Europe (just like you said) and a 6'10 Small Forward in the NBA. He isn't bulky enough or an athletic high flyer in order to be a PF at the NBA level. Therefore, he will be used at SF and his mobility isn't going to be a real advantage there.

He is definitely a great shooter, though. That much is a given. I just hope that we can use him accordingly. Copeland is a great shooter as well but he was rarely used.

That's a great interview, by the way. Thanks for the link :D
Mankind..."

- Agalloch
twiggy2
Rookie
And1: 417

Post#39 » by twiggy2 » Sat Aug 2, 2014 6:05 am

No Paul this guy could get the green light. His game seems to suit the nba.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Aug 3, 2014 6:23 pm

I don't know how much we can depend on him this season, or immediately, but let's hope that Rudez is up for a challenge and either he or Cope can play long runs at the SF this season.

Return to Indiana Pacers