Salary Cap $63.065m/Tax $76.829m/Current Pacer Cap Status

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Salary Cap $63.065m/Tax $76.829m/Current Pacer Cap Status 

Post#1 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 9, 2014 11:03 pm

A TAD bit lower than what was projected, but pretty darned close.

As such, here is what the Pacers CURRENTLY look like as of 6pm on July 9.
Paul George - $14,746,000 (will be slightly adjusted, 27% is not based EXACTLY off salary cap)
Roy Hibbert - $14,898,938
David West - $12,000,000
George Hill - $8,000,000
Luis Scola - $4,868,499 (only $2.5m guaranteed, Pacers on hook for $1.9m, Houston $.9m)
CJ Miles - $4,200,000 (roughly)
Ian Mahinmi $4,000,000
Chris Copeland - $3,135,000
CJ Watson - $2,077,000
Solo Hill - $1,302,840
Damjan Rudez - $1,100,000 (reported)
Lavoy Allen - $1,063,384? (as yet unreported, place holder is vet minimum; will count as $915,243 for tax purp.)
Donald Sloan - $948,163
Shayne Whittington - $507,336 (only $25k guaranteed, but for tax purposes, will count as $915,243)

Total Tax liability - $73,106,926
Amount under tax line - $3,722,074
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Re: Salary Cap $63.065m/Tax $76.829m/Current Pacer Cap Statu 

Post#2 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:14 am

Looks like cap hell to me. But it could be worse we could be the Brooklyn Nets.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#3 » by SmashMouthRod » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:05 am

The one contract that I really feel they could do without is the Mahinmi deal. I wish they would just draft backup bigs to use for rebounding; defense and fouls. The truth is that cheaper undrafted bigs can duplicate Mahinmi's production. Maybe even top it. I would package him with a couple 2nd rounders and ship him out ASAP. Philly comes to mind as a team that is willing to add salary to get draft picks.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#4 » by pacers33granger » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:22 am

SmashMouthRod wrote:The one contract that I really feel they could do without is the Mahinmi deal. I wish they would just draft backup bigs to use for rebounding; defense and fouls. The truth is that cheaper undrafted bigs can duplicate Mahinmi's production. Maybe even top it. I would package him with a couple 2nd rounders and ship him out ASAP. Philly comes to mind as a team that is willing to add salary to get draft picks.

Problem is what do we do in the meantime? There's a couple options, but they're all questionable. Okafor would be good if he was healthy and willing to accept a vet min deal (two big ifs). Kaman just got 5 mil and even he was on the lower end of free agent bigs.

Obviously our core is pretty locked in right now, but it's not all that horrible. If Lance walks we have about 12 mil coming off the books. Of course that's a good chunk of our bench (Scola, Watson, Cope, Sloan, Wittington) so it needs to be replaced, but hopefully Solo Hill can be a rotation player by then and we'd still have Ian for one more year plus Rudez. So our depth chart will look like this going into FA next summer:

Hill
Miles
PG/Hill
West/Allen/Rudez
Roy/Ian

+ our 2015 first

We could probably resign a couple of our guys (hopefully Watson cheap) and have the mid-level available for another rotation wing. Or wait until the next year to sign long term deals when West and Hibbert expire. Plus the cap will likely rise again at least a bit.

So all in all not that bad. If we resign Lance that changes things, but we'll see how that all plays out.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie

Post#5 » by SmashMouthRod » Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:45 am

pacers33granger wrote:
SmashMouthRod wrote:The one contract that I really feel they could do without is the Mahinmi deal. I wish they would just draft backup bigs to use for rebounding; defense and fouls. The truth is that cheaper undrafted bigs can duplicate Mahinmi's production. Maybe even top it. I would package him with a couple 2nd rounders and ship him out ASAP. Philly comes to mind as a team that is willing to add salary to get draft picks.

Problem is what do we do in the meantime? There's a couple options, but they're all questionable. Okafor would be good if he was healthy and willing to accept a vet min deal (two big ifs). Kaman just got 5 mil and even he was on the lower end of free agent bigs.

Obviously our core is pretty locked in right now, but it's not all that horrible. If Lance walks we have about 12 mil coming off the books. Of course that's a good chunk of our bench (Scola, Watson, Cope, Sloan, Wittington) so it needs to be replaced, but hopefully Solo Hill can be a rotation player by then and we'd still have Ian for one more year plus Rudez. So our depth chart will look like this going into FA next summer:

Hill
Miles
PG/Hill
West/Allen/Rudez
Roy/Ian

+ our 2015 first

We could probably resign a couple of our guys (hopefully Watson cheap) and have the mid-level available for another rotation wing. Or wait until the next year to sign long term deals when West and Hibbert expire. Plus the cap will likely rise again at least a bit.

So all in all not that bad. If we resign Lance that changes things, but we'll see how that all plays out.

They can play some small ball off the bench. Lavoy has to be better than Ian. Put Scola and Lavoy out there together. And also they can sign one of these summer league talented bigs on the cheap to get dunked on; fumble passes; and miss dunks and layups. I would at least look at that small ball opportunity. If they resign Lance then the rotation is even better.

Watson/Sloan
Hill/Miles/Rudez
George/S. Hill/Rudez
West/Scola/Cope
Hibbert/Allen
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:42 pm

I think he market has shown that if a big can play serviceable minutes, they're drafted high in the 1st, or ridiculously overpaid in free agency.

A lot of hating on Ian, but he's one of the best backup 5's in the league, and paid cheaper than most of them, too. Sure, he fumbles the ball a lot and isn't a complete player, but if he didn't, he'd be a clear starting center and paid 3x as much.

Very few undrafted bigs ever get playing time in true NBA. Even fewer actually are useful. Hard to count on that and compete.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
SmashMouthRod
Rookie

Post#7 » by SmashMouthRod » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:16 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I think he market has shown that if a big can play serviceable minutes, they're drafted high in the 1st, or ridiculously overpaid in free agency.

A lot of hating on Ian, but he's one of the best backup 5's in the league, and paid cheaper than most of them, too. Sure, he fumbles the ball a lot and isn't a complete player, but if he didn't, he'd be a clear starting center and paid 3x as much.

Very few undrafted bigs ever get playing time in true NBA. Even fewer actually are useful. Hard to count on that and compete.

I agree on the market for proven guys; but they couldve had Plum on a rookie deal. Bird and front office scout players year round; so im certain that they probably have seen some guys who are talented go undrafted and under the radar. I personally believe good players get overlooked yearly; and dont get noticed until some desperate team is forced to use them. Not to mention D-Leaguers and International play. My opinion on Ian is no personal attack; its about basketball; and the truth is that he isnt a good option especially in big/key moments. There was a reason Bird brought in Bynum; and a reason that in the playoffs Vogel tried to pair Scola and West together despite it not being a good defensive combo. Also part of the reason why the starters were overworked and tired at the end of the season. I admit I am rooting for Lavoy to beat out Ian for the backup mins at the 5. Lavoy plays harder; hits the glass better (in terms of rebounding); and provides flexibility in defending stretch bigs; pick and rolls/pops; and can provide some offense.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:54 pm

Agree in Plum. He's looking like a miss.

Otherwise, Bynum's biggest impact was lighting a fire under Ian's butt. He played very well off the bench after Bynum was signed. Also, take a look at Ian's defensive stats sometimes. He was something like a top 10 defensive center this last year, and the team defended the rim at nearly the same rate as Hibbert when Ian was in for him. Not as easy to replace that.

I also think that, of any position, centers get the best chance to play as undrafted guys. If a big man goes undrafted and could even provide SOME semblance of solid play, they're snatched up for training camps, and are given multiple training camps before they're forgotten. Take a look at us picking up Shayne Whittington and guaranteeing some money. John Edwards once got what, 3 seasons in he NBA in hopes he might be able to play someday?

basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#9 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:27 pm

So you want to go into the season with only Lavoy Allen at back up Center? I think Ian is a very good back up center. Our problem is Hibbert's deal is to much and George Hill is over paid. Also I still don't know why we signed Copeland. Trading Plumlee was a mistake and including the pick with him and Greene backfired as Scola will most likey be released,
SmashMouthRod
Rookie

Post#10 » by SmashMouthRod » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:04 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Agree in Plum. He's looking like a miss.

Otherwise, Bynum's biggest impact was lighting a fire under Ian's butt. He played very well off the bench after Bynum was signed. Also, take a look at Ian's defensive stats sometimes. He was something like a top 10 defensive center this last year, and the team defended the rim at nearly the same rate as Hibbert when Ian was in for him. Not as easy to replace that.

I also think that, of any position, centers get the best chance to play as undrafted guys. If a big man goes undrafted and could even provide SOME semblance of solid play, they're snatched up for training camps, and are given multiple training camps before they're forgotten. Take a look at us picking up Shayne Whittington and guaranteeing some money. John Edwards once got what, 3 seasons in he NBA in hopes he might be able to play someday?

Very True about young bigs now that I think about it. Hopefully Whittington is good. I also agree about how well Ian played when Bynum was there. Statistically Indy's defense was very good with him out there. But there were also some sequences in the latter part of the season and playoffs that when watching all you could do was nod your head. His defensive rebounding at moments was just bad. I thought that was something Indy playing big would hang their hats on. I do believe the team could get away with playing some uptempo small ball off the bench; In fact; it would probably improve the teams offensive production and allow Indy to better match up with teams like Atl and Phoenix (beat Indy both times last season). Small speedy tempo teams caused Indy a lot of problems last season in matching up. It may have been more about Vogel's philosophy in not wanting to match down but it couldve had its advantages. Obviously Watson and Turner were better in an Uptempo style in prior situations. The new acquisitions like Rudez and Miles would likely benefit from the contrast as well. If the bench can register 25-40 points a game with consistency; I believe the starters can slow the game back down and lock teams down enough to win almost every night.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:16 am

SmashMouthRod wrote:

Very True about young bigs now that I think about it. Hopefully Whittington is good. I also agree about how well Ian played when Bynum was there. Statistically Indy's defense was very good with him out there. But there were also some sequences in the latter part of the season and playoffs that when watching all you could do was nod your head. His defensive rebounding at moments was just bad. I thought that was something Indy playing big would hang their hats on. I do believe the team could get away with playing some uptempo small ball off the bench; In fact; it would probably improve the teams offensive production and allow Indy to better match up with teams like Atl and Phoenix (beat Indy both times last season). Small speedy tempo teams caused Indy a lot of problems last season in matching up. It may have been more about Vogel's philosophy in not wanting to match down but it couldve had its advantages. Obviously Watson and Turner were better in an Uptempo style in prior situations. The new acquisitions like Rudez and Miles would likely benefit from the contrast as well. If the bench can register 25-40 points a game with consistency; I believe the starters can slow the game back down and lock teams down enough to win almost every night.

Some small ball would certainly be interesting and help get guys like Allen and Copeland some playing time. Otherwise, it seems pretty clear that Vogel and Indy has worked hard to get our centers to attack shots, thus getting them out of position for rebounds. It helps to keep the opposing team from shooting as well inside the protected area and the lane, but keeps them from rebounding, too. Seems to be part of the game plan. As such, it allows our wings to get many more rebounds, as Lance and Paul did quite a bit this year.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie

Post#12 » by SmashMouthRod » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:11 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
SmashMouthRod wrote:

Some small ball would certainly be interesting and help get guys like Allen and Copeland some playing time. Otherwise, it seems pretty clear that Vogel and Indy has worked hard to get our centers to attack shots, thus getting them out of position for rebounds. It helps to keep the opposing team from shooting as well inside the protected area and the lane, but keeps them from rebounding, too. Seems to be part of the game plan. As such, it allows our wings to get many more rebounds, as Lance and Paul did quite a bit this year.

Seems the scheme may need some tweaks. I remember Vogel preaching "One shot" as being strategy too. And honestly as a big man his job is to protect the rim and get the rebound or at least box out. My question on Mahinmi is about his motor. Scola is probably at fault too; because it seems with Hansborough hustle and rebounding wasnt an issue; it was an offensive thing only. In the Atlanta series; and even against Miami they were getting offensive rebounds in key moments. Its tough to defend for the whole 24 secs; and then not get the rebound after a miss and expect pros to miss again.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:15 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
SmashMouthRod wrote:

Seems the scheme may need some tweaks. I remember Vogel preaching "One shot" as being strategy too. And honestly as a big man his job is to protect the rim and get the rebound or at least box out. My question on Mahinmi is about his motor. Scola is probably at fault too; because it seems with Hansborough hustle and rebounding wasnt an issue; it was an offensive thing only. In the Atlanta series; and even against Miami they were getting offensive rebounds in key moments. Its tough to defend for the whole 24 secs; and then not get the rebound after a miss and expect pros to miss again.

Hans had the kind of hustle that didn't necessarily help the team. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about Ian's motor; it's pretty good. I think if we play small ball or have time without Roy or Ian at center, we'd be more focused on rebounding, and not deflecting shots.

Return to Indiana Pacers