Shawn Marion

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Re: Shawn Marion 

Post#41 » by Moooose » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:16 am

Boneman2 wrote:Marc Stein is reporting that Larry and Shawn had a face-to-face meeting today.

Hope Larry can convince him like what MJ did to Lance.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Post#42 » by Grang33r » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:30 am

Tony Donohue (@TonyD1070) seems very confident that Marion is signing with us tomorrow. He was also the first to report Bynum to Pacers too i believe.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Post#43 » by Grang33r » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:35 am

H E Pennypacker wrote:I'm new around here so I don't know if or how often this is discussed but I'll ask anyway.

Welcome to the forums! If theres any questions you have just ask away.

Do you guys think Bird will try to scratch & claw to get into the playoffs to satisfy (or at least attempt to) the fan base? Indianapolis is such a fair-weather town and the first thing I thought of when I heard about the George injury - other than immediate nausea - was how this was going to kill the attendance momentum. I have already heard some "fans" on local sports radio/facebook say they won't watch.

I think that trying to get into the playoffs as the 7 or 8 seed just to get bounced in the first round is NBA hell. I think they should just sit back and see what Solo can do along with giving Rudez some minutes to see if h can play. If they had access to Doc Brown's DeLorean and could get Shawn Marion from 5-6 years ago then you might have something, but now - why bother.

I disagree. You need to send a message that the world hasnt ended and that the show must still go on. I know it's tough but everyone of those players invested in an opportunity to win a championship and because your star is gone doesn't mean you quit. What happens when PG returns and he's surrounded by some under preforming kids? Keep expectations high and aim for the playoffs and give guys like Solo Hill a chance to compete in the playoffs.

This team wasn't going to be bottom-10 anyways, and even by some miracle they were, next years draft is pretty weak anyways.

Picking 13th does nothing for us in the future.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Post#44 » by DBoys » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:13 pm

1 It looks to me like Marion can get offered anywhere from $2.5-3.5M without the Pacers paying tax, with the exact number depending on whether the Pacers would waive Sloan, Whittington, or both. Is that about right?

2 Has there been any discussion that the Pacers might jettison Scola for more spending room?
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#45 » by 8305 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:05 pm

As long as the deal doesn't effect cap and flexibility beyond the coming season I've got no problem with bringing him in. I'd still hope that Solomon Hill gets first crack at the starting sf spot though. I like that Marion provides another option playing sf who has the requisite size for the position. There's probably some potential he can still hold his own playing pf. If Shawn still wants the opportunity to contribute in a meaningful way on a team that wants to compete Indiana is probably a good destination.

The challenge will be selling him on the notion that the Pacers will be kept intact and given every opportunity to win as many games as possible.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,059

Post#46 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:57 pm

DBoys wrote:1 It looks to me like Marion can get offered anywhere from $2.5-3.5M without the Pacers paying tax, with the exact number depending on whether the Pacers would waive Sloan, Whittington, or both. Is that about right?

2 Has there been any discussion that the Pacers might jettison Scola for more spending room?

1 about $2-3m. Bird stated "we're picking up Sloan's option" (even though it was really a non-guaranteed contract), so I'd take that as he's in the plans. After that, we have 15 signed, so if Marion chose is, we'd have to waive one, and I'd assume it's Whittington.

2. The discussion has only been here. Seems that Bird has no interest in paying $2m for Scola to play elsewhere. He's more likely filler if we can find a trade than being waived, though.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
DBoys
Starter
And1: 221

Post#47 » by DBoys » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:20 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
DBoys wrote:1 It looks to me like Marion can get offered anywhere from $2.5-3.5M without the Pacers paying tax, with the exact number depending on whether the Pacers would waive Sloan, Whittington, or both. Is that about right?

1 about $2-3m. Bird stated "we're picking up Sloan's option" (even though it was really a non-guaranteed contract), so I'd take that as he's in the plans. After that, we have 15 signed, so if Marion chose is, we'd have to waive one, and I'd assume it's Whittington.

2. The discussion has only been here. Seems that Bird has no interest in paying $2m for Scola to play elsewhere. He's more likely filler if we can find a trade than being waived, though.

Thanks.

My question was asked before Bird spoke. The way I read Bird is, Marion said no, and then Bird told Sloan they aren't waiving him. The deadline being 8/15 for a no-cost waiver of Sloan, they had to make a decision promptly, and when Trix didnt bite, they did.

It looks to me like possible money for Marion is now down to 2.5M (tax free room), but it looks moot to me - - if he said no to Bird offering 3.5 then he definitely wont want 2.5.

As for Scola. moving him only makes sense as a move that somehow allows them to add talent, and with Marion out of the mix, it's hard to see where they'd get a body they'd need more than the minimum for.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#48 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:30 pm

DBoys wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Thanks.

My question was asked before Bird spoke. The way I read Bird is, Marion said no, and then Bird told Sloan they aren't waiving him. The deadline being 8/15 for a no-cost waiver of Sloan, they had to make a decision promptly, and when Trix didnt bite, they did.

It looks to me like possible money for Marion is now down to 2.5M (tax free room), but it looks moot to me - - if he said no to Bird offering 3.5 then he definitely wont want 2.5.

As for Scola. moving him only makes sense as a move that somehow allows them to add talent, and with Marion out of the mix, it's hard to see where they'd get a body they'd need more than the minimum for.

I think Sloan and Marion are independent of each other. Sloan's a pretty solid 3rd PG, and there might be hopes long term. Whittington is more likely to be waived and attempted to stash in Ft Wayne. The theory is we paid him $25k guarantee to buy some sense of loyalty, knowing that he'd likely get waived at some point while he's injured.

basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,933

Post#49 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:34 pm

I could see us moving Scola in a deal some team that wants or needs to cut salary could send a $4.5 million guy to us then cut Scola and save some money. IDK who that would be or what team. But something always comes up. If NYK or Brooklyn had any picks we might be able to work something with them but they have traded off too many picks already.

I"ve been wondering why we don't use open roster spots to pick up a guy or 2 and put them on non guaranteed contracts we might be able to move the guy in his 2nd year in a trade and pick up some assets.
H E Pennypacker
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#50 » by H E Pennypacker » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:56 am

Grang33r wrote:
H E Pennypacker wrote:I'm new around here so I don't know if or how often this is discussed but I'll ask anyway.

Welcome to the forums! If theres any questions you have just ask away.

Do you guys think Bird will try to scratch & claw to get into the playoffs to satisfy (or at least attempt to) the fan base? Indianapolis is such a fair-weather town and the first thing I thought of when I heard about the George injury - other than immediate nausea - was how this was going to kill the attendance momentum. I have already heard some "fans" on local sports radio/facebook say they won't watch.

I think that trying to get into the playoffs as the 7 or 8 seed just to get bounced in the first round is NBA hell. I think they should just sit back and see what Solo can do along with giving Rudez some minutes to see if h can play. If they had access to Doc Brown's DeLorean and could get Shawn Marion from 5-6 years ago then you might have something, but now - why bother.

I disagree. You need to send a message that the world hasnt ended and that the show must still go on. I know it's tough but everyone of those players invested in an opportunity to win a championship and because your star is gone doesn't mean you quit. What happens when PG returns and he's surrounded by some under preforming kids? Keep expectations high and aim for the playoffs and give guys like Solo Hill a chance to compete in the playoffs.

This team wasn't going to be bottom-10 anyways, and even by some miracle they were, next years draft is pretty weak anyways.

Picking 13th does nothing for us in the future.

Thanks for the reply!

Oh, I'm not saying tank the season for a shot at a top lottery pick, I was mainly just making the point about not going after Marion just to get into the playoffs. If they make the playoffs this season so-be-it. I just wouldn't want Marion getting in the way of Hill. I can't wait for this season to start. I will be very interested to see how Hill and Hibbert (provided he's still on the team) perform this upcoming season.
glasket
Rookie
And1: 11

Post#51 » by glasket » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:07 pm

well that's over. Marion has verbally committed to the Cavs
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#52 » by Moooose » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:39 am

Glad that it happened sooner than later so we can focus on other options fast.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,933

Post#53 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:02 pm

I'm for standing with what we have at SF let the job go to Miles and Soloman Hill, something like Miles 20 min a game at SF and Hill 28. Miles can back up Stuckey at SG Stuckey gets 34 min and Miles 14 or there about. We also have Rudez at SF we'll want to get him some minutes.

I've been hearing that Minne wants to move longer term contracts how about Scola for Corey Brewer.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:32 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:I'm for standing with what we have at SF let the job go to Miles and Soloman Hill, something like Miles 20 min a game at SF and Hill 28. Miles can back up Stuckey at SG Stuckey gets 34 min and Miles 14 or there about. We also have Rudez at SF we'll want to get him some minutes.

I've been hearing that Minne wants to move longer term contracts how about Scola for Corey Brewer.

I agree. I wouldn't force a SF deal, but if something comes up, I'd explore it (though it would also have to make sense long term, too).

As for Brewer, we'd be lucky to get him for just Scola. I assume it'd take more value, maybe even a 1st. And he's got two years on his deal, too. Not sure we really want that 2nd year either, just like Minnesota.

Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#55 » by 8305 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:14 pm

I think where you go from here depends on Solomon Hill. There's a nice opportunity to develop him this season and hopefully have a very solid 3 and d guy by the time Paul George gets back. A great shooter (Miles) and a solid 3 and d guy seem like ideal long term compliments to for PG.

If you can see early on that Solo isn't overwhelmed by the speed of the game, that he truly is an above average defender and shows the ability to at least hit the corner 3 at an acceptable level I say give him as many minutes as he can handle. It makes no sense to limit Solo's development because another player gives you marginally more for this season.

A scenario where Luis Scola could be moved to create an opportunity for a cheap younger player who could be developed this season should also be considered.

Return to Indiana Pacers