Training camp signings: MERGED

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

MNPacersfan
Junior
And1: 14

Training camp signings: MERGED 

Post#1 » by MNPacersfan » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:30 am

Didn't see this one out there yet. Slow time of year...
Adonis Thomas To Attend Pacers Camp
http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2014/08/adon ... -camp.html

Edit: I edited the title to make this a catch all for all the training camp signings. -Scoot
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,060

Re: Adonis Thomas 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:36 pm

Yup. Saw it yesterday but was too lazy to start a thread.

SG/SF. Freak athlete, but can't shoot or defend. Decent, not good ball handler. Hard to see as much more than a body in training camp. Doesn't appear to be someone worth waiving Sloan or Scola over. I guess Whittington as a developmental guy is really the cut line for us in training camp.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#3 » by Wizop » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:52 pm

we have a roster spot open for a one year contract. odds are we find a veteran - Rasual? - but it isn't impossible that some training camp prospect would earn the spot.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:14 am

Wizop wrote:we have a roster spot open for a one year contract. odds are we find a veteran - Rasual? - but it isn't impossible that some training camp prospect would earn the spot.

I have us at 15 guys before Adonis.

Hill/Watson/Sloan
Miles/Stuckey/
Hill/Rudez/George(IR)
West/Scola/Cope
Hibbert/Mahinmi/Allen/Whittington

I'm guessing you're not counting Whittington as a roster spot, though. That's fair. I think his $25k guarantee means something, but probably not enough to guarantee a spot.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#5 » by Wizop » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:04 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:I have us at 15 guys before Adonis. ...I'm guessing you're not counting Whittington as a roster spot, though.

No, I'm not counting George. we've applied for an injury exemption that lets us sign a 16th man to a one year deal.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:39 pm

Wizop wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:I have us at 15 guys before Adonis. ...I'm guessing you're not counting Whittington as a roster spot, though.

No, I'm not counting George. we've applied for an injury exemption that lets us sign a 16th man to a one year deal.

Nope. Doesn't allow a 16th roster spot, merely a manner to acquire a one year fill in player. Still limited to 15 roster spots, as far as I can find anywhere.

MNPacersfan
Junior
And1: 14

Pacers attempting to corner the CJ market 

Post#7 » by MNPacersfan » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:40 pm

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Training camp signings 

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:00 pm

Pacers signed CJ Fair,
Senior SF out of Syracuse, to a training camp deal today. Still athletic. Good college defender. Leading scorer with some range out to 3 in limited attempts.

Could be an interesting chance to make the roster.

http://8points9seconds.com/2014/08/25/p ... um=twitter

pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Re: Pacers attempting to corner the CJ market 

Post#9 » by pacers33granger » Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:38 pm

Now we just need to pluck CJ Mccollum from Portland and CJ Wilcox from the Clippers and anyone who wants a CJ will have to go through us.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,384

Post#10 » by jowglenn » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:32 pm

We also have George Hill & Solomon Hill, Paul George & George Hill, and if we hadn't traded Plumlee we would have had Miles Plumlee & CJ Miles.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#11 » by pacers33granger » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:18 pm

jowglenn wrote:We also have George Hill & Solomon Hill, Paul George & George Hill, and if we hadn't traded Plumlee we would have had Miles Plumlee & CJ Miles.

We could have had a whole team linked by name. Just trade Ian for a pick, sign Royal Ivey (Roy Hibbert), trade for Chris Paul (PG and Cope), then sign Delonte West. Then just waive Stuckey and Rudez.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#12 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:42 pm

I'm really happy to see CJ Fair getting a shot with the Pacers, I don't understand why he didn't get drafted. Also we should get McCollum and Wilcox as well and put a full team of CJ's on the floor in a game.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#13 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:46 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:Yup. Saw it yesterday but was too lazy to start a thread.

SG/SF. Freak athlete, but can't shoot or defend. Decent, not good ball handler. Hard to see as much more than a body in training camp. Doesn't appear to be someone worth waiving Sloan or Scola over. I guess Whittington as a developmental guy is really the cut line for us in training camp.

We're getting Gerald Green back?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:48 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:Yup. Saw it yesterday but was too lazy to start a thread.

We're getting Gerald Green back?

Well, a little different. See, Green COULD shoot, just not while he was a Pacer.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:53 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:I'm really happy to see CJ Fair getting a shot with the Pacers, I don't understand why he didn't get drafted. Also we should get McCollum and Wilcox as well and put a full team of CJ's on the floor in a game.

Apparently, he really wanted a partial or fully guaranteed deal, but was willing to take a completely non-guaranteed deal with us. I assume, mostly because he thinks it's not only a real chance to make a roster, but with Paul George out, a chance to get solid playing time.

I'd waive Whittington to keep Fair, in theory, if it came down to that.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#16 » by Wizop » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:54 pm

some months ago I posted something on Draft Express questioning why Fair wasn't on their board. I like this signing a lot.

p.s. Scoot, I still think we have an open roster spot and can keep Fair without cutting Whittington.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#17 » by Wizop » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:10 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:

Nope. Doesn't allow a 16th roster spot, merely a manner to acquire a one year fill in player. Still limited to 15 roster spots, as far as I can find anywhere.

It says you can replace the injured player. I take that to mean that the injured player doesn't count against the limit of 15. Here is what Larry Coon says:

DISABLED PLAYER EXCEPTION -- This exception allows a team which is over the cap to replace a disabled player who will be out for the remainder of that season (it can also be granted in the event of a player's death). This exception is granted by the league, based on an application from the team and a determination by an NBA-designated physician that the player is substantially more likely than not to be unable to play through the following June 15.

If this exception is granted, the team can acquire one player via free agent signing, trade or wavier claim, to replace the disabled player:

The team may sign a free agent for one season only, for 50% of the disabled player's salary or the amount of the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, whichever is less.
The team may trade for a player in the last season of his contract only (including any option years)4, who is making no more than 50% plus $100,000 of the disabled player's salary, or the amount of the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception plus $100,000, whichever is less.
The team may claim a player on waivers who is in the last season of his contract only (including any option years), who is making no more than 50% of the disabled player's salary, or the amount of the Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, whichever is less.
Teams can apply for this exception from July 1 through January 15, and cannot apply after January 15. Once granted, the exception expires when a player is acquired, when the disabled player is traded or returns to the team, or on March 10 of that season, whichever comes first. This exception is granted on a season-by-season basis -- if the player will also be out the following season, the team needs to apply for this exception again the following season.

This exception can only be granted to the team for which the player was playing when his injury or illness was known, or reasonably should have become known. A team cannot trade for an injured player and subsequently apply for a Disabled Player exception for that player.

If a team's application for a disabled player exception is denied, the team must wait 90 days before submitting another request related to the same player, and then only for a new injury or aggravation of the same injury. Whether the application was approved or denied, the team can apply again (including for the same injury) the following season.

If the disabled player comes back sooner than expected he may be activated immediately, and the replacement player is not affected.

Don't confuse the Disabled Player exception with the salary cap relief teams sometimes receive after losing a player to a career-ending injury or death (see question number 63). The Disabled Player exception allows a team to acquire a replacement player. The salary cap relief removes a contract from the team's books.

Also see question number 26 for more information on the availability and use of this exception.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:33 pm

Yeah, it doesn't clearly state either way.

In past practice,
When teams have used the DPE, they've had to waive someone to stay at 15 roster spots, though.

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:26 pm

Just confirmed with Mark Deeks it's 15 players. Only a cap exception, not a roster spot exception

Wizop
RealGM

Post#20 » by Wizop » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:19 pm

and yet there is a chart on cbafaq showing a 16 player limit with the active size reduced from 13 to 12. the stories in the Star sure had me thinking 16. I'll see if I can get an answer from a friendly reporter and if not nudge him to seek clarification from the team.

Return to Indiana Pacers