Indiana Pacers Logo Concept

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Indiana Pacers Logo Concept 

Post#1 » by funkatron101 » Mon Sep 1, 2014 4:39 am

I wanted to make a logo that emphasizes the name of the team, without incorporating an actual car. Something that personified speed and motion. Since their Capital P logo is so iconic, I would like to keep that as their secondary logo.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
Starkiller
Assistant Coach
And1: 269

Re: Indiana Pacers Logo Concept 

Post#2 » by Starkiller » Mon Sep 1, 2014 2:30 pm

That is pretty badass and would translate pretty damn well to a basketball jersey.
This ^
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#3 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Sep 1, 2014 2:49 pm

funkatron101 wrote:I wanted to make a logo that emphasizes the name of the team, without incorporating an actual car. Something that personified speed and motion. Since their Capital P logo is so iconic, I would like to keep that as their secondary logo.

Well, the team name has nothing to do with cars.

It has to do with horse harness racing. An argument was later made than it could be associated with the pace car at the Indy. 500, but it's pretty clear that's a stretch and not something you could realistically name a team after (we run but never actually enter the race?).

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#4 » by Wizop » Mon Sep 1, 2014 3:02 pm

I don't know if there was an intended connection but there are two types of harness racing horses: Pacers and Trotters and the latter has a basketball connection => the globe-Trotters.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
funkatron101
General Manager

Post#5 » by funkatron101 » Mon Sep 1, 2014 3:43 pm

Pacers.com says otherwise, Scoot McGroot.

Indianapolis attorney Richard D. Tinkham recalls the nickname Pacers was chosen because it was reflective both of the state’s rich history with harness racing pacers and the pace car used for the running of the Indianapolis 500.

http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/behind_the_name.html
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#6 » by Moooose » Mon Sep 1, 2014 3:59 pm

I kinda like the Pacers as the pacer car, just for originality. I think it is better than being associated with a horse as there are and have been teams associated with it like the Mavs and the Grant Hill-era Pistons.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Sep 1, 2014 5:13 pm

funkatron101 wrote:Pacers.com says otherwise, Scoot McGroot.

Indianapolis attorney Richard D. Tinkham recalls the nickname Pacers was chosen because it was reflective both of the state’s rich history with harness racing pacers and the pace car used for the running of the Indianapolis 500.

Yeah, but that was the later retcon. Originally, the team was named for harness racing. The Pace car thing was later added in as the reasoning when they joined the NBA. All the news at the time, and initial season ticket holder stuff they sent out spelled it out as the connection to "horse racing" in Indiana.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Sep 1, 2014 5:14 pm

Moooose wrote:I kinda like the Pacers as the pacer car, just for originality. I think it is better than being associated with a horse as there are and have been teams associated with it like the Mavs and the Grant Hill-era Pistons.

funkatron101
General Manager

Post#9 » by funkatron101 » Mon Sep 1, 2014 5:35 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:

Yeah, but that was the later retcon. Originally, the team was named for harness racing. The Pace car thing was later added in as the reasoning when they joined the NBA. All the news at the time, and initial season ticket holder stuff they sent out spelled it out as the connection to "horse racing" in Indiana.

Does that really matter? The Pacers now officially tie the name with both harness racing pacers and the pace car for the Indy 500.

My logo isn't even taking the literal tie-in of the name with the pace car. It is a racing-inspired logo to convey that they push the speed (pace) against the competition. Given the official acknowledgement of the Indy 500 by the team, I don't think it is a huge stretch.

Anyway, here is the logo with a basketball incorporated. Because every flippin NBA team has to have a basketball in the logo :P
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Sep 1, 2014 6:09 pm

funkatron101 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Does that really matter? The Pacers now officially tie the name with both harness racing pacers and the pace car for the Indy 500.

My logo isn't even taking the literal tie-in of the name with the pace car. It is a racing-inspired logo to convey that they push the speed (pace) against the competition. Given the official acknowledgement of the Indy 500 by the team, I don't think it is a huge stretch.

Anyway, here is the logo with a basketball incorporated. Because every flippin NBA team has to have a basketball in the logo :P

Oh, don't get me wrong. It's neat. Just would never be used. While the team may have been named for horse racing and retconned to include auto racing, we've never used any sort of logo that would take inspiration from racing of any sort. It'd be neat for a one off, but can't imagine they'd make a massive change now, after almost 50 years.

For me, I love this:

I've never understood why we have the "P" be the logo, and then spell out the full "Pacers" name below or to the side, instead of incorporating the logo as the P in "Pacers", like this uniform did.

Return to Indiana Pacers