Pacer Fan interest in Trading for Jeff Teague?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,499

Pacer Fan interest in Trading for Jeff Teague? 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:52 pm

Hawks fan here, coming in peace. I have had a greaty admiration for your franchise for decades now. From the Reggie Miller-Rik Smits days...to the current crop featuring D West R Hibbert and PG-13.

The injury to Paul George was devastating indeed, but it might provide an opportunity to reload the roster after a down year and be prepared to take a step in another direction.

I propose a trade...to be conducted NEXT summer. Thus allowing this necessary down season to play itself out.

How would guys feel about trading your (likely?) lottery pick [Top-3 protected] to ATL Hawks for Jeff Teague? Teague is in his prime, an Indiana native, on a great contract ($8 million per year for 2.5 more years) and would make a great partner with George. Your lotto pick could net you a good young player, but if it's a high pick, there is a likely chance that player could be years from contributing. Whereas Teague is ready for a deep playoff run today. His stats have been pretty consistent for a few years, he is injury free and still young enough to be a key player for years...

Our team is NOT itching to be rid of him, but we had a pretty major win last night without him, and our young backup Point Guard (Herr Schroeder) is ready to break out.

Value wise, I think you guys would be getting a slight edge. And obviously, other minor players would need to be added to make the trade possible.

But as a starting point for negotiations...what do you guys think?

Next summer, if you have a lottery pick 4th or worse...would your fanbase be in favor or against trading it for Teague?
Can a core of Teague, George, West and Hibbert get you guys back to the top of the standings in the East?
Or re you guys just blowing up the whole roster and rebuilding around PG?
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Re: Pacer Fan interest in Trading for Jeff Teague? 

Post#2 » by pacers33granger » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:25 pm

Really depends on where the pick lands for me. I'd love to get Teague. He's improved each year, is still young, and is on a great contract. If we have a pick in the range of 4-8 and there's some really good talent left on the board I think we pass mostly because we desperately need rookie contract guys and haven't had a high pick in a long time. Plus the last time we traded our pick for a PG it didn't work out all that great.
mikepacernation
Pro Prospect
And1: 44

Post#3 » by mikepacernation » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:45 pm

It's also depends on if the pacers decide to make a trade this season. If they bring a guy like lance back I don't see teague fitting with him.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#4 » by 8305 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:55 pm

FWIW, I like this idea much more than bringing Lance back. A rotation of Teague, G. Hill, George, S. Hill and Miles at positions pg, sg, sf combines guys with complementary skill sets and the ability to be strong at both ends of the floor.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:02 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Hawks fan here, coming in peace. I have had a greaty admiration for your franchise for decades now. From the Reggie Miller-Rik Smits days...to the current crop featuring D West R Hibbert and PG-13.

The injury to Paul George was devastating indeed, but it might provide an opportunity to reload the roster after a down year and be prepared to take a step in another direction.

I propose a trade...to be conducted NEXT summer. Thus allowing this necessary down season to play itself out.

How would guys feel about trading your (likely?) lottery pick [Top-3 protected] to ATL Hawks for Jeff Teague? Teague is in his prime, an Indiana native, on a great contract ($8 million per year for 2.5 more years) and would make a great partner with George. Your lotto pick could net you a good young player, but if it's a high pick, there is a likely chance that player could be years from contributing. Whereas Teague is ready for a deep playoff run today. His stats have been pretty consistent for a few years, he is injury free and still young enough to be a key player for years...

Our team is NOT itching to be rid of him, but we had a pretty major win last night without him, and our young backup Point Guard (Herr Schroeder) is ready to break out.

Value wise, I think you guys would be getting a slight edge. And obviously, other minor players would need to be added to make the trade possible.

But as a starting point for negotiations...what do you guys think?

Next summer, if you have a lottery pick 4th or worse...would your fanbase be in favor or against trading it for Teague?
Can a core of Teague, George, West and Hibbert get you guys back to the top of the standings in the East?
Or re you guys just blowing up the whole roster and rebuilding around PG?

Talk to us in the summer. Or at least, post trade deadline. A lot could happen before then.

However, fanbase doesn't matter. One thing we've learned is that Bird/Pritchard don't listen or capitulate to the fanbase here. They run the team their own way. Otherwise, if Teague were worth a pick in the 4-14 range, you wouldn't be asking us here if we would do it. We'd take Teague, but we're not going to pay a premium for him just because he's from Indy. We'd probably keep any pick inside of 12, and would maybe consider 13 on, but it all depends on how the draft class shakes out. Ultimately, Teague is very nice, and not too expensive, but a guy on a rookie contract for 4 years is so much cheaper, that it's hard to out value that. The rest of the deal depends on what the filler is, salary-wise. We cannot make the deal straight up, unless Hibbert and West opt out and walk, and at that point, we would be so massively rebuilding, we wouldn't want Teague. Salary wise, we'd have to trade a package of Mahinmi/Miles, or either Mahinmi or Miles, along with both of Solo Hill and Rudez. I wouldn't do anything of a 1st and Solo going. I doubt you'd do anything with Mahinmi/Miles, as they make almost as much as Teague next year, and then Miles is on for 2 more after that. So.....it's just really hard to match up.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#6 » by Wizop » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:27 pm

I really don't think we should be interested in trading our 2015 picks as we're not likely to pick that high again any time soon. Teague would be nice but what we really need is someone who can defend Teague and other fast point guards. maybe the draft will give us that. we also need a successor to DWest (unless Allen transitions from a small 5 to a 4) and this draft may be our best shot at a premium big.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#7 » by 8305 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:51 pm

It's all about where we pick. If we are picking in the teens history would tell you that getting a player as good as Teague is about the best for which you can hope. And, it will take a few years before the productivity that rookie arrives. Add Teague to our core next year and I think you have a team that presents a lot of problems.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#8 » by boomershadow » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:26 pm

Fwiw, I do see Allen as West's successor, especially if Vogel is still the coach at that time. He is a fan of size, and a PF that is big enough to play some C is right up his alley.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#9 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:41 pm

I like Teague a lot but we should have drafted him in 2009 instead of Tyler Hansbrough, we needed a point guard and passed on him, Lawson and Holiday. Mistakes like that are hard on a team. I don't know why ATL would be trading him, unless they are sure Shodder is the man and we were talking a top 5 pick.

I think we need to consider a move to trade Hibbert as I'm betting he opts out we need a more mobile center. I thought we would do better this season and was predicting 44 wins for us, but now it looks like we'll be lucky to get 30. With the injury bug biting who knows what will happen.

Return to Indiana Pacers