Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Stanko Barac pursuing NBA deal 

Post#1 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Feb 3, 2015 6:39 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/realgm/status/562680114262319105[/tweet]

Pacers have allegedly kept interest and tried to bring him over in past. We'll see what happens.
cubsflan24
Freshman
And1: 4

Re: Stanko Barac pursuing NBA deal 

Post#2 » by cubsflan24 » Tue Feb 3, 2015 7:53 pm

Don't know anything about him and I think his first name is pretty funny lol. So if he's good of course bring him in
Jermainevent
Senior
And1: 152

Post#3 » by Jermainevent » Tue Feb 3, 2015 8:58 pm

cubsflan24 wrote:Don't know anything about him and I think his first name is pretty funny lol. So if he's good of course bring him in

I remember the reaction of our fans when we drafted Stanko. All night people were waiting for Bird to make a deal to grab a draft pick, and when he did we landed the infamous Stanko. To say the least, this wasn't what Pacer Nation had in mind. With that being said, bring him over if he can play.
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”
― Hippocrates
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#4 » by pacers33granger » Tue Feb 3, 2015 9:18 pm

He could be a nice 3rd string center for us. Or maybe we can pick up another asset from someone else who wants to sign him. From what I can find it seems like he has a decent perimeter shot. That could make some interesting lineups with him and Rudez we could have 5 guys on the floor who can hit jumpers.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Feb 3, 2015 9:34 pm

cubsflan24 wrote:Don't know anything about him and I think his first name is pretty funny lol. So if he's good of course bring him in

He's 28, 7'1", and weight fluctuated heavily. Reported anywhere from 230-280 on different sites. Had a herniated disc last year, so that may have have played in. shot better earlier in his career and plays in the lane. There's just not a ton of info out there on him right now.
Gremz
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,142

Post#6 » by Gremz » Wed Feb 4, 2015 4:50 am

GOAT!
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#7 » by Wizop » Wed Feb 4, 2015 1:57 pm

might put his draft rights into play in trading deadline negotiations.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#8 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Feb 6, 2015 7:11 pm

Jermainevent wrote:

I remember the reaction of our fans when we drafted Stanko. All night people were waiting for Bird to make a deal to grab a draft pick, and when he did we landed the infamous Stanko. To say the least, this wasn't what Pacer Nation had in mind. With that being said, bring him over if he can play.

That was the year we'd traded our #1 pick to the Hawks for Al Harrington. Dumb trade! We were signing him as a FA then for some reason did it as a sign and trade, then sent Harrington to GSW in the Murphy/Dunleavy deal.

Also around the time of that draft there was a lot of speculation that we would trade JO to the Lakers for Bynum and Kwame Brown plus a pick. I guess the deal we made has worked out better. Bynum was good for couple years but where is he now?

All we ended up doing was trading with Miami for that 9th in the 2nd round we could have picked Marc Gasol instead, he went 9 picks later at #18. Makes you wonder why we picked Stanko at all? :crazy:
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#9 » by basketballwacko2 » Fri Feb 6, 2015 7:12 pm

Wizop wrote:might put his draft rights into play in trading deadline negotiations.

We don't have rights on him they were given to SA when we traded for George Hill.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Feb 6, 2015 7:25 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Wizop wrote:might put his draft rights into play in trading deadline negotiations.

We don't have rights on him they were given to SA when we traded for George Hill.

We have Stanko Barac's rights. We included the rights to Erazem Lorbek to San Antonio in that swap.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Feb 6, 2015 7:27 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Jermainevent wrote:

That was the year we'd traded our #1 pick to the Hawks for Al Harrington. Dumb trade! We were signing him as a FA then for some reason did it as a sign and trade, then sent Harrington to GSW in the Murphy/Dunleavy deal.

Also around the time of that draft there was a lot of speculation that we would trade JO to the Lakers for Bynum and Kwame Brown plus a pick. I guess the deal we made has worked out better. Bynum was good for couple years but where is he now?

All we ended up doing was trading with Miami for that 9th in the 2nd round we could have picked Marc Gasol instead, he went 9 picks later at #18. Makes you wonder why we picked Stanko at all? :crazy:

We didn't have cap space to sign Harrington that year. We had the TPE we generated when we turned Peja's signing in New Orleans into a S&T (we paid NO around $500k to convince them to do that, we also got the rights to Andrew Betts in that swap). But you can't SIGN a player with a TPE, so we had to convince Atlanta to S&T Harrington to us, and that took John Edwards and the 1st round pick.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#12 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Feb 9, 2015 10:43 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

We have Stanko Barac's rights. We included the rights to Erazem Lorbek to San Antonio in that swap.

Oh you're right I was misremembering like that time I was on that helicopter in Iraq and got shot at! :lol:
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#13 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Feb 9, 2015 10:46 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
We didn't have cap space to sign Harrington that year. We had the TPE we generated when we turned Peja's signing in New Orleans into a S&T (we paid NO around $500k to convince them to do that, we also got the rights to Andrew Betts in that swap). But you can't SIGN a player with a TPE, so we had to convince Atlanta to S&T Harrington to us, and that took John Edwards and the 1st round pick.

Still a bad deal. I couldn't remember why we did a S&T. Many times one bad deal leads to another one. Sometimes the best deal is the one you don't make.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Feb 9, 2015 10:53 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

Oh you're right I was misremembering like that time I was on that helicopter in Iraq and got shot at! :lol:

Well, your initials are BW! :wink:
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Feb 9, 2015 11:02 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Still a bad deal. I couldn't remember why we did a S&T. Many times one bad deal leads to another one. Sometimes the best deal is the one you don't make.

Meh. In all honesty, look back at the pick we gave up for Al (the 2007 1st rounder). There's not a single player after that pick that was really worth more than having Al for 2 years. You could argue Thad Young, Wilson Chandler, Tiago Splitter, or even Stuckey (though we eventually got him). The only difference maker after that spot in the draft was Marc Gasol late in the 2nd, but we still could've gotten him anyway with the pick we got to take Stanko.

Honestly, while it wasn't a massive difference making deal, in hindsight, that wasn't a bad one.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#16 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Feb 9, 2015 11:38 pm

:jawdrop:

Return to Indiana Pacers