2015 Draft

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Re: 2015 Draft 

Post#21 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:00 am

Not sure if anyone saw, or cares, but we were tied for the 11th/12th draft spots in the lottery with Utah. They held a tiebreaker coin flip the other day, and Indy "won". We will have the 11th lottery spot; Utah the 12th.

Now, watch Utah win the lotto from the 12th spot, huh?
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#22 » by Boneman2 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:22 am

Wouldn't it be ironic as hell if we could somehow draft George de Paula PG/SG, Brazil. There was a possibility he'd be there at 41 about a month ago, but now he is rising to the 28-35 range.

Besides his crazy name this write up on draft express sounds like music to my ears:

"Still, the flashes of talent he displays at times is undeniable, particularly on defense, where his incredible physical tools makes him an absolute terror, but also with his shooting and passing as well. He seems to know how much of an unfinished product he is in an interview we conducted with him, and talked repeatedly about the things he still needs to work on, mostly discussed above."

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com/#ixzz3YCUQdG00
http://www.draftexpress.com
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#23 » by Wizop » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:56 pm

Your link didn't work for me. Finally figured out that this is the player Draft Express is calling George Lucas. His full name per nbadraft.net is George Lucas Alves de Paula. George to George to George to Hill to Hill would sure challenge the announcers.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Boneman2
General Manager

Post#24 » by Boneman2 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:50 am

Bobby Portis is really growing on me at 11. His body type reminds me of Dale Davis, which I like. Lyles and Kaminsky look good too.

Of course if Stanley Johnson slips all bets are off, think Ron Artest with a great attitude. Here is a massive wing that will bully most bigs in the post. Lately his stock is slipping so that's a positive.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:30 pm

Boneman2 wrote:Bobby Portis is really growing on me at 11. His body type reminds me of Dale Davis, which I like. Lyles and Kaminsky look good too.

Of course if Stanley Johnson slips all bets are off, think Ron Artest with a great attitude. Here is a massive wing that will bully most bigs in the post. Lately his stock is slipping so that's a positive.

There's not really a single guy in the projected top 20's of mock drafts that I would have an issue with drafting.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Post#26 » by Grang33r » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:12 pm

I really like Stanley Johnson. Not sure he will still be there at 11 though.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Post#27 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:46 am

There are a lot of good players in this draft I'm hoping that we can do as good at #11 this time as we did when we got PG and not like when we got Tyler Hansbro. Can you imagine if we'd just picked Jeff Teague that year?
Boneman2
General Manager

Post#28 » by Boneman2 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:06 am

Agreed. This draft is so deep with really solid players. Maybe not all-stars but solid rotational talent.
Boneman2
General Manager

Post#29 » by Boneman2 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:06 am

Grang33r wrote:I really like Stanley Johnson. Not sure he will still be there at 11 though.

Yeah he probably won't be there, but guys like Granger and Kawai were slated as high-to-mid lottery talents early in the process only to fall to 17 and 15 respectively. Paul Pierce is another wing that dropped to 10. You just never know.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#30 » by Grang33r » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:16 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:There are a lot of good players in this draft I'm hoping that we can do as good at #11 this time as we did when we got PG and not like when we got Tyler Hansbro. Can you imagine if we'd just picked Jeff Teague that year?

Why stop there?

Jrue Holiday or Ty Lawson would of been huge for us, too.

And i know this is getting way ahead of ourselves, but had we gotten Teague or one of those other point guards, gotta wonder if they even target George Hill?
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#31 » by Grang33r » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:06 am

I cant be the only one who sees a lot of Gordon Hayward in Sam Dekker, right?
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#32 » by Grang33r » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:08 pm

Some draft and big IU news...

First Team All-Big Ten point guard Yogi Ferrell plans to announce he will return to Indiana, sources confirm.

The news, first reported by CBS' Gary Parrish, means Indiana returns its top eight scorers and adds McDonald's All-American center Thomas Bryant to a team that reached the NCAA Tournament last year.

Ferrell will be a senior and a four-year starter at Indiana. - See more at: https://indiana.rivals.com/content.asp? ... fxJOL.dpuf
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:52 pm

Grang33r wrote:I cant be the only one who sees a lot of Gordon Hayward in Sam Dekker, right?

Yeah. A little less in terms of a ball handler, but more of a defender coming out of college. That's probably a good draft comparison. If he continues to develop in the NBA the way Gordon Hayward did, we'd be ecstatic. Ultimately, they both have a similar competitive spirit, kind of a tough-nosed, quiet, "F-U" type mentality. I like that.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#34 » by Wizop » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:23 pm

I liked Dekker more before everyone said he'll be a 3. I was seeing him as a college 4 and hoping he could defend 4's. I suppose we should take the BPA but I don't see wing as our priority. I want a 1 or a 4.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:09 pm

Wizop wrote:I liked Dekker more before everyone said he'll be a 3. I was seeing him as a college 4 and hoping he could defend 4's. I suppose we should take the BPA but I don't see wing as our priority. I want a 1 or a 4.

He'd be like playing Paul George at the 4. Or, like getting a haircut at Wal-Mart. Just because you could doesn't really mean you should.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#36 » by Wizop » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:53 am

Where you can play depends more on who you can defend than on where you can score. But dekker isn't my first choice at 11. Had we won one more game ...
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Re: 

Post#37 » by Grang33r » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:25 am

Wizop wrote:Where you can play depends more on who you can defend than on where you can score. But dekker isn't my first choice at 11. Had we won one more game ...

Who would top your list?
Wizop
RealGM

Post#38 » by Wizop » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:33 pm

I've heard WCS compared to Rodman in temperament but a center who can defend all the way out to the arc would be hard to pass up. I don't know enough about the Euros to put them on a list yet. I like Lyles because I think he is a real 4 and I like Grant because he fits the way we play. I worry about Kaminsky turning every post move into a right hand shot a la Hansbrough. I haven't formed an opinion on Portis or Turner who are mocked near our pick. I think we'd have a hard time developing a rookie wing unless Stuckey leaves. I like KY backup Dakari Johnson in round two.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#39 » by Grang33r » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:25 pm

Wizop wrote:I've heard WCS compared to Rodman in temperament but a center who can defend all the way out to the arc would be hard to pass up. I don't know enough about the Euros to put them on a list yet. I like Lyles because I think he is a real 4 and I like Grant because he fits the way we play. I worry about Kaminsky turning every post move into a right hand shot a la Hansbrough. I haven't formed an opinion on Portis or Turner who are mocked near our pick. I think we'd have a hard time developing a rookie wing unless Stuckey leaves.

I agree, WCS would be very hard to pass up at 11 but like Stanley Johnson, i don't see him dropping that far down, and i dont think we have the currency to move up few slots. I've been intrigued about Portis and Turner as well, just havnt done enough research on them either to post a credible thought.

I like KY backup Dakari Johnson in round two.

I like Tyler Harvey in the second round.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#40 » by Moooose » Sun May 10, 2015 2:48 pm

Howdy, guys? It's the time of the year again, eh?

Haven't really took the time to read the mocks but I think WCS is a fine choice at 11. Stanley Johnson would be a real blessing but I can't see him going past Charlotte. WCS would be a project offensively but he could be an asset on defense. Vogel said he wants to run faster so maybe WCS could be a good fit.

Myles Turner is interesting too. Another guy I like is Kaminsky, but I am not sure how he would fit in. He's not as physical as you want him to be for a big man but he's got excellent IQ, and a good overall player. He looks like a better version of Olynyk. Dekker is a good choice too but he'd probably play more three than four.

On the guards, I'd seriously rather have Cameron Payne than Jerian Grant. Sorry but Grant to me is too predictable. And like other big guards in this draft - Delon Wright and Devin Booker, they are all lacking explosiveness. I just think Vogel needs someone like a Reggie Jackson for a back-up, someone that can make something happen. Rather than someone who keeps setting up something for nothing. One guy I really like among the guards is Terry Rozier - small but can really produce offense.

Return to Indiana Pacers