2015 Draft

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

2015 Draft 

Post#1 » by Wizop » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:28 pm

If we miss the playoffs, we'll be hoping for luck in the lottery and a very high pick. I don't see that as likely but one can hope.

if we make the playoffs or just miss without getting lucky in the lottery, I like our options. I expect some good power forward prospects to be there such as Lyles, Dekker, and Harrell and a very good guard prospect in Grant. there may be other guards to discuss once we know who declares.

if we go power forward, would we need to let Scola go to great room at the four? Allen?

if we go guard, would we need to let Watson or Sloan go? doing either seems less disruptive than parting ways with Scola or Allen.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
chube
Bench Warmer
And1: 51

2015 Draft 

Post#2 » by chube » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:39 pm

Logistics suggest Scola over Allen being let go. More expensive and significantly older. Who knows though

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Wizop
RealGM

Post#3 » by Wizop » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:04 pm

Scola has been very good this year, but Allen provides depth at center.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Re: 2015 Draft 

Post#4 » by Grang33r » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:05 pm

The Pacers will most likely pick as high as 10th. The player i'd want most is Sam Dekker. He might be available even if Pacers make playoffs and lose in rd 1.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,059

Re: 

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:02 am

Wizop wrote:Scola has been very good this year, but Allen provides depth at center.

I agree. I just think that when Bird said back in March that he'd like to get "younger" this summer, I think he meant specifically the PF spot. Between West and Scola, there's a LOT of years. I don't think West is going, so it'd probably be Scola.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#6 » by Wizop » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:17 pm

Is dekker a three or four at next level? I will be happy with dekker lyles grant and anyone they like more.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: 

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:48 pm

Wizop wrote:Is dekker a three or four at next level? I will be happy with dekker lyles grant and anyone they like more.

He's a wing. a 3 who might play the 2 on a pinch or in certain combinations.

Lyles played the 3 at Kentucky, but will play the 4 in the NBA.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#8 » by Wizop » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:22 pm

Lyles is a local kid who de-committed from IU to go to Ky. I think he fits our needs better than Dekker, but there are some Pacer insiders who feel that drafting local kids puts undue pressure on them. this goes all the way back to Rick Mount.

I worry about Kaminsky's lack of a left hand. he has a lot of clever post moves that I don't think will work at the next level because they all end with him going to his left shoulder for a right handed shot and that won't fool pros. Hansbrough has the same problem.

I can make a case for drafting Grant and letting Watson or Sloan go. we'd probably need to resign Scola if we didn't draft a four but that's okay with me.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Re: Re: 

Post#9 » by pacers33granger » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:32 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Wizop wrote:Scola has been very good this year, but Allen provides depth at center.

I agree. I just think that when Bird said back in March that he'd like to get "younger" this summer, I think he meant specifically the PF spot. Between West and Scola, there's a LOT of years. I don't think West is going, so it'd probably be Scola.

I'd be kind of shocked if Bird didn't resign Scola. He's always loved him and Scola is finally playing up to his standards this year. I think Bird may have also been hinting at the PG situation though. Watson is always banged up now and Sloan isn't a prospect at all. We could definitely use a young backup PG, which we may be able to grab with our 2nd.

I do think he'll look to grab a young big though too, but maybe more of a project guy that won't see many minutes, though I guess we will likely keep Whittington. Overall I really think Bird talking about getting younger was getting end of the bench guys who may develop into something. With all the injuries this year, we had guys playing minutes who aren't developmental guys like Sloan, Cope, etc. They're perfectly fine as end of the bench guys, but we'd be farther along if we had some random young guys that we could have struck gold on.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:28 pm

pacers33granger wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I'd be kind of shocked if Bird didn't resign Scola. He's always loved him and Scola is finally playing up to his standards this year. I think Bird may have also been hinting at the PG situation though. Watson is always banged up now and Sloan isn't a prospect at all. We could definitely use a young backup PG, which we may be able to grab with our 2nd.

I do think he'll look to grab a young big though too, but maybe more of a project guy that won't see many minutes, though I guess we will likely keep Whittington. Overall I really think Bird talking about getting younger was getting end of the bench guys who may develop into something. With all the injuries this year, we had guys playing minutes who aren't developmental guys like Sloan, Cope, etc. They're perfectly fine as end of the bench guys, but we'd be farther along if we had some random young guys that we could have struck gold on.

If I recall correctly, he specifically mentioned the rotation. I think Whittington is a fine enough developmental guy. I just think that a young PF in the 1st round that should play backup minutes immediately is in our future. Maybe a backup PG with our BAE again, and our MLE on Stuckey and maybe someone else too? There's lots of chances for youth somewhere. I just think with both Scola and West being older, that's the one position we could not only use youth, but we NEED it.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#11 » by pacers33granger » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:38 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

If I recall correctly, he specifically mentioned the rotation. I think Whittington is a fine enough developmental guy. I just think that a young PF in the 1st round that should play backup minutes immediately is in our future. Maybe a backup PG with our BAE again, and our MLE on Stuckey and maybe someone else too? There's lots of chances for youth somewhere. I just think with both Scola and West being older, that's the one position we could not only use youth, but we NEED it.

Yeah I get that. I think my main concern is that I don't want us to end up reaching for a PF with our first. Unless someone like Dekker, Lyles, or Looney can transition to full time PF, we may either end up with a tweener like them or someone like Harrell who should be going 5-8 spots later than our pick. I think with our first we'd have a real good shot at a young PG like Payne or Jones and I'd hate to go for fit when we should be going for BPA when we have so many possible needs with a ton of guys being free agents.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:25 am

pacers33granger wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:

Yeah I get that. I think my main concern is that I don't want us to end up reaching for a PF with our first. Unless someone like Dekker, Lyles, or Looney can transition to full time PF, we may either end up with a tweener like them or someone like Harrell who should be going 5-8 spots later than our pick. I think with our first we'd have a real good shot at a young PG like Payne or Jones and I'd hate to go for fit when we should be going for BPA when we have so many possible needs with a ton of guys being free agents.

I wouldn't worry about reaching specifically for a PF. I just meant it's such a big man heavy draft that I would imagine that would be a likelihood to be safely available. Granted, we're a ways away from the draft combine, measurements, and workouts, so a lot could change, but there's a lot of big men in that range.

And Dekker is a pure SF in the league. More likely to play 2-guard than ever play the 4. Lyles will HAVE to play PF in the NBA. He only played SF at Kentucky so that Calipari could get him on the floor with WCS and Towns. His lack of long-rang shot and mobility will burn him at the 3 in the NBA.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:54 am

Lottery, here we come.

Stickied.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#14 » by Wizop » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:34 pm

Draft Express has us at 12 before the lottery. Myles Turner is their 12 not considering needs. I have no opinion on him other than they list him as a 5 and our needs are at 4 and 1. I still like Grant and Bird proved with Solo that he's not afraid to take the guy he wants even when the experts had him going lower. Kaminsky and Porzingis will require watching.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#15 » by Wizop » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:45 pm

Bird and Vogel's end of season pressers are online at pacers.com. They expect West, Hibbert, and Scola to be back and hope Stuckey will be too. but we want to play faster and play more small ball with West and Scola on the floor together some and PG paying some 4. sounds like they see Whittington as a 4 and I think Damo and Allen if back will also have to get minutes at 4 as the wings are pretty well set with PG and Miles backed up with Stuckey and Solo. I think they want to rest West and Scola more given their ages.

look for the BPA to be drafted. they won't be afraid to trade down if given the right offer.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#16 » by No-Man » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:11 pm

I have the Pacers picking Jakob Poeltl with their 11th pick right now, he is the guy with the biggest value available in my board and with the concerns around Hibbert I think it makes sense to get him.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#17 » by Wizop » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:13 pm

my son told me last night that we should take the best Kentucky player available. I think that'll be Lyles.

personally, I'm leaning toward Grant unless we move up. the one player that was in the rotation that looks not to get an offer is CJ Watson and Grant and Stuckey would be a nice second unit backcourt. I'd resign Sloan to ease the pressure on Grant to play early.
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#18 » by No-Man » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:44 am

seriously, picking Grant in the lotto is a serious reach, there are at least 20 players who are clearly better prospects than him, he is not even a top5 PG propsect.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#19 » by Wizop » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:55 pm

Fischella wrote:seriously, picking Grant in the lotto is a serious reach, there are at least 20 players who are clearly better prospects than him, he is not even a top5 PG propsect.

the mock drafts I've seen have him behind only Mundiay and Russell. we know Bird likes seniors and he took Solo in the first when most of us thought we were working him out as a possible second round pick so he's not afraid to trust his own evaluation over the projections. but maybe you've seen some rankings that I haven't. I like DraftExpress a lot and have been following Givony since he was a RealGM guy and I also check out nbadraft.net. Am I overlooking a site that has Grant going outside the top 15?

perhaps I should add that I doubt Bird would pass on Kaminsky but I'm thinking he'll go higher.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:38 pm

Fischella wrote:seriously, picking Grant in the lotto is a serious reach, there are at least 20 players who are clearly better prospects than him, he is not even a top5 PG propsect.

He's a top 3 or 4 PG prospect in this draft. Don't be silly.

And you can't argue that and then list Poeltl at 11. He's At the bottom of the top 10 big men in this draft.

Return to Indiana Pacers