Official 2016 Off-Season Thread

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

RealityIsDemar
Rookie
And1: 1,164

Re: Official 2015 Off-Season Thread 

Post#41 » by RealityIsDemar » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:23 am

Any interest in DeMar DeRozan via trade?
Shoutout to Bruno Skull for the sig
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,059

Post#42 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:04 pm

RealityIsDemar wrote:Any interest in DeMar DeRozan via trade?

Probably not. At least, not if we have to provide any value of any kind. No picks, young players, etc. He's a SG that can't shoot, though he does get to the line and convert. However, he also clogs the lane, and means that you can't effectively play with any big man anywhere near the lane. Plus, his unrestricted free agency after this next season (he'll opt out) and the fact that we could theoretically sign him anyway (massive cap jump, we'd have space, no need for bird rights, etc), and there's just no interest in paying value. We like Hill/Miles/George.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#43 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 1, 2015 5:35 pm

Jeff Withey just had his QO rescinded by New Orleans. Now unrestricted. He'd be a nice get for the other $1-1.3m in cap space we have, and make a nice long-term, cheap, big man option off the bench at the 5 that can protect the rim.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect
And1: 129

Post#44 » by jarryd3107 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 1:54 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:Jeff Withey just had his QO rescinded by New Orleans. Now unrestricted. He'd be a nice get for the other $1-1.3m in cap space we have, and make a nice long-term, cheap, big man option off the bench at the 5 that can protect the rim.

Totally agree. I'm higher on him than most people, so I'd even suggest Bird should shop Mahinmi if they could land Withey. Mahinmi has currency and could bring back some bench depth.
MrTwister
Sixth Man
And1: 1,081

Post#45 » by MrTwister » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:08 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/619960683333947392[/tweet]
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#46 » by pacers33granger » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:13 pm

So, at this point it seems we're almost set. Have to say I'm impressed by the job Bird has done in turning over the roster, though it remains to be seen how it will all play out. The big thing to me is that we can go into next offseason with a good core and hopefully convince a good free agent to sign. Right now this is our depth chart:

Hill/Stuckey/Young
Ellis/Miles
PG13/Hill/Bud
Hill/Allen
Mahinmi/Turner/Whittington (I assume we resign him)

With Mahinmi, Bud, and J. Hill (likely) the only guys that are free agents. Not sure who we could possibly get, but we'll have some good space and a lot of talent. Much better than going into next offseason with just both Hills, PG13, Miles, Rudez, and our picks.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:35 am

pacers33granger wrote:So, at this point it seems we're almost set. Have to say I'm impressed by the job Bird has done in turning over the roster, though it remains to be seen how it will all play out. The big thing to me is that we can go into next offseason with a good core and hopefully convince a good free agent to sign. Right now this is our depth chart:

Hill/Stuckey/Young
Ellis/Miles
PG13/Hill/Bud
Hill/Allen
Mahinmi/Turner/Whittington (I assume we resign him)

With Mahinmi, Bud, and J. Hill (likely) the only guys that are free agents. Not sure who we could possibly get, but we'll have some good space and a lot of talent. Much better than going into next offseason with just both Hills, PG13, Miles, Rudez, and our picks.

With no other moves, if we sign Lavoy to his new deal, we would only have around $900k in cap room. I'd like to see Bird use that to sign Young to his rookie deal so that we can fashion together a 3 or 4 year deal with non guarantees. If we wait and then sign him to a minimum salary exception, we can only sign him for one year.

Either way, we'd still have the room exception to spend.

But yes, I'm impressed with the massive turnover he's done to the roster. He talked about playing a different style; then he went out and got the roster to do so.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Post#48 » by Grang33r » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:46 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:With no other moves, if we sign Lavoy to his new deal, we would only have around $900k in cap room. I'd like to see Bird use that to sign Young to his rookie deal so that we can fashion together a 3 or 4 year deal with non guarantees. If we wait and then sign him to a minimum salary exception, we can only sign him for one year.

But yes, I'm impressed with the massive turnover he's done to the roster. He talked about playing a different style; then he went out and got the roster to do so.

Really? Where did all the money go? How much is Jordan Hill making?
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:51 am

Grang33r wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:With no other moves, if we sign Lavoy to his new deal, we would only have around $900k in cap room. I'd like to see Bird use that to sign Young to his rookie deal so that we can fashion together a 3 or 4 year deal with non guarantees. If we wait and then sign him to a minimum salary exception, we can only sign him for one year.

Really? Where did all the money go? How much is Jordan Hill making?

We used all the cap space pre Hibbert on Monta. Then, with the extra $15m of dumping Hibbert, we are spending $7m on Stuckey, around, $5m on Jordan Hill, absorb the extra $4m on Budingers salary over Damo, and Lavoy will eventually sign his deal for an extra $3m over his cap hold.

We could hold off on signing Lavoy and Turner and we would have under $4m in cap space.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Post#50 » by Grang33r » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:26 pm

Money adds up pretty quick. haha
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#51 » by SmashMouthRod » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:18 am

Perry Jones is available after OKC matching Kanter. I thought we shouldve drafted him over Solo. Any way he can be acquired. He was drafted lower than Solo so his contract shouldnt be too expensive. Last season when Durant first went out he played really well at the 3 and 4. He's young with some real talent. Im sure they are just trying to send him out and not get a salary returned. 2nd rounder straight up for him would probably get him. Thoughts?
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#52 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:21 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:Perry Jones is available after OKC matching Kanter. I thought we shouldve drafted him over Solo. Any way he can be acquired. He was drafted lower than Solo so his contract shouldnt be too expensive. Last season when Durant first went out he played really well at the 3 and 4. He's young with some real talent. Im sure they are just trying to send him out and not get a salary returned. 2nd rounder straight up for him would probably get him. Thoughts?

I think they want to use PJIII to dump Novak's larger salary, while not returning a player or salary. We could eat PJIII's salary by itself. We cannot absorb, or really even match salaries, on a PJIII/Novak deal.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,068

Post#53 » by Wizop » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:16 pm

I wanted to draft pjiii too but that was because I wanted to go for the fences and solo was a single. However pjiii hasn't caught my attention as a pro.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect
And1: 129

Post#54 » by jarryd3107 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:28 am

^ OKC just paid to dump him on Boston, so thats a pretty clear indication on where he is at.
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Post#55 » by Han Solo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:25 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwkl5rbww4Q[/youtube]
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,933

Post#56 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:36 am

RealityIsDemar wrote:Any interest in DeMar DeRozan via trade?

Why would we want him?
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,933

Re: 

Post#57 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:43 am

Wizop wrote:I wanted to draft pjiii too but that was because I wanted to go for the fences and solo was a single. However pjiii hasn't caught my attention as a pro.

I believe you're misremembering PJIII was drafted in 2012 that was the same year we drafted Plumlee, not Solo who we picked in 2013.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#58 » by Wizop » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:04 pm

You're right. Plumlee had wowed the scouts at the Chicago workouts but hadn't done much in college. I watched the draft at a west side bar event and drove home disappointed but felt better when I heard on the radio driving home that we'd drafted OJ in the second round. Solo was a guy who I thought we were looking at for our second round pick not our first. I liked Draymond Green but who could have known he'd remake his body completely after college.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:10 pm

Wizop wrote: I liked Draymond Green but who could have known he'd remake his body completely after college.

Yeah, I remember you banging the drum for Draymond pretty hard. I think I lead the opposition. Mea culpa. I agree, I had no idea he would put in the effort to remake his body. I think he set a record high at the combine for body fat percentage that year, too. He wasn't giving us much to go on.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#60 » by Wizop » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:30 pm

I was going off Draymond's play at MSU. he was a tremendous college stretch four with passing skills who was a clear leader. but the training program didn't work until there was money on the table. I can't claim to have known how good a pro he would turn out to be.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.

Return to Indiana Pacers