Bird: Roy and West are "going to opt in."

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Miller4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 283

Re: Bird: Roy and West are "going to opt in." 

Post#21 » by Miller4ever » Thu May 21, 2015 6:22 am

I want more Lavoy. Ian commits too many fouls even if he returns to his career-high FT%.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#22 » by Wizop » Thu May 21, 2015 2:47 pm

and more Whit and more of our rookie if the draft gives us a big. I think Ian and CJ Miles are really our only trade chips and I want to keep Miles so that puts Ian on the market.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#23 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu May 21, 2015 4:33 pm

jarryd3107 wrote:I like Hibbert and hope he stays, but am I actually the only one who'd be ok with Mahinmi starting?

He has a really nice jump shot and can play plus-defense. I think he'd be fine as a stop gap center for a year until either free agency or a rookie develops.

He's a great stopgap. Nice backup that can/should spot-start if need be. If he started, I'd still expect him to play around 25 minutes and he'd do ok.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu May 21, 2015 4:36 pm

Wizop wrote:and more Whit and more of our rookie if the draft gives us a big. I think Ian and CJ Miles are really our only trade chips and I want to keep Miles so that puts Ian on the market.

I would agree with this reasoning.

I think Bird's comments about playing more uptempo, and Roy likely opting in, lend us to playing a system where only one "slow" big man (West, Hibbert, or Scola) is on the court at a time. So, if we ended up playing out the year with Hibbert (either we don't like offers or whatnot), I just see West and Hibbert chewing up most of the 48 minutes at center, and a guy like Lavoy could be kept as either a 4 or 5 and be the injury/emergency 3rd center. At that point, Ian would definitely be tradeable, and I think he'd have decent value on the market as a backup 5/spot starting 5 that provides some rim protection. Whittington growing into that stretch 4 kind of player lends me to think he could get another year as that 15th man to learn the position. Definitely a much better developmental guy than John Edwards was....
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect
And1: 129

Post#25 » by jarryd3107 » Wed May 27, 2015 12:23 am

^ and1 for John Edwards reference
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed May 27, 2015 3:31 am

jarryd3107 wrote:^ and1 for John Edwards reference

I used to name my fantasy team after Zan Tabak. What can I say? I love bad, tall, white guys. :dontknow:
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#27 » by basketballwacko2 » Wed May 27, 2015 11:05 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:

I used to name my fantasy team after Zan Tabak. What can I say? I love bad, tall, white guys. :dontknow:

Stuart Gray!!
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,390

Post#28 » by Danny Darko » Wed May 27, 2015 9:49 pm

Any chance you guys would go for Jordan HIll (1 year 9million) + pick 27 for Roy to save 6.5 million, get a quicker big with more offense and a 1st round pick?
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect

Post#29 » by jarryd3107 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:51 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:

My team was named after Tyus Edney last year. Yay for obscure former Pacers.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu May 28, 2015 1:57 am

Danny Darko wrote:Any chance you guys would go for Jordan HIll (1 year 9million) + pick 27 for Roy to save 6.5 million, get a quicker big with more offense and a 1st round pick?

Good question. It's hard to tell exactly what Bird's plan with Hibbert is. Do they plan to bench him completely and be willing to trade him for ANYTHING, or do they just plan on playing him a bit less and having him and West split most of the 5 minutes? If it's the 1st, then sure. If it's the 2nd, they may value his role playing as a rim protector more than #27.

Maybe Hill/Clarkson/34 for Hibbert (possibly also 43)?
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect

Post#31 » by jarryd3107 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:32 am

^ its also possible Bird was simply firing a rocket at him by suggesting that the current Roy Hibbert won't be playing much in the new, faster Pacer's offense, but if he lost some weight and gained mobility then he could fit in. He said Hibbert would have to earn it, maybe thats his meaning. He should be very motivated, given its a contract year.
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Post#32 » by Wizop » Fri May 29, 2015 1:37 am

I agree. I think it is very possible that they decided to try lighting a fire under him as keeping him at his best has been a real problem.

Personally, I'd try playing Roy at a high post some but I know I'm alone in thinking that might work.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri May 29, 2015 1:49 am

jarryd3107 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I had a team name referencing Jamison Brewer and his sideline wardrobe one year. Man that guy had some great suits.

Speaking of great suits, just saw Scot Pollard is going to be on Survivor. Crazy weird timing, as I just met him race day as he was in our bus group and I ended up sitting in front of him and his wife. Helluva nice guy, pretty crazy fun, so I could see why he was a popular locker room guy. Very positive to be around.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#34 » by pacers33granger » Fri May 29, 2015 1:51 am

Wizop wrote:I agree. I think it is very possible that they decided to try lighting a fire under him as keeping him at his best has been a real problem.

Personally, I'd try playing Roy at a high post some but I know I'm alone in thinking that might work.

I think that could work too. Gets him a few steps less to run back on defense for one. But also allows him to use his jumper instead of trying to awkwardly post up down low and throw up a wild hookshot. Plus would give West/Scola room down low to operate or bang for offensive boards. Could also make sense for Roy setting more picks up top and his passing is good for a center, so could be some interesting offensive sets to try there.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#35 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat May 30, 2015 3:36 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
jarryd3107 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I had a team name referencing Jamison Brewer and his sideline wardrobe one year. Man that guy had some great suits.

Speaking of great suits, just saw Scot Pollard is going to be on Survivor. Crazy weird timing, as I just met him race day as he was in our bus group and I ended up sitting in front of him and his wife. Helluva nice guy, pretty crazy fun, so I could see why he was a popular locker room guy. Very positive to be around.

I named a team Ethnic Clenzing. 8-)
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#36 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat May 30, 2015 3:38 am

pacers33granger wrote:
Wizop wrote:I agree. I think it is very possible that they decided to try lighting a fire under him as keeping him at his best has been a real problem.

I think that could work too. Gets him a few steps less to run back on defense for one. But also allows him to use his jumper instead of trying to awkwardly post up down low and throw up a wild hookshot. Plus would give West/Scola room down low to operate or bang for offensive boards. Could also make sense for Roy setting more picks up top and his passing is good for a center, so could be some interesting offensive sets to try there.

I think Roy's 12-15 foot jump shot is better than his 3-4 foot jump shot. Seems like he has no touch in close.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#37 » by pacers33granger » Sat May 30, 2015 3:45 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:

I think Roy's 12-15 foot jump shot is better than his 3-4 foot jump shot. Seems like he has no touch in close.

Yeah it definitely is, especially when he's in rhythm. I think he just gets off balance down low when he gets knocked even a bit and it throws him off completely.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#38 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat May 30, 2015 3:47 am

pacers33granger wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:
pacers33granger wrote:

Yeah it definitely is, especially when he's in rhythm. I think he just gets off balance down low when he gets knocked even a bit and it throws him off completely.

Idiots on the trade board are saying Hibbert has negative value. Thread by Winter Mute about trading Roy for Toby Harris. Check it out.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#39 » by pacers33granger » Sat May 30, 2015 3:52 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Idiots on the trade board are saying Hibbert has negative value. Thread by Winter Mute about trading Roy for Toby Harris. Check it out.

Yeah I saw that. At this point it's kind of pointless to argue since those posters who believe that have been saying that for such a long time. People seem to just be running with Bird's comments even though he's incredibly open with the media when he does talk to them and only said Roy's role will be minimized due to play style (which I'm certain he told him too and explained why). Doesn't mean he's not in the teams plans or he doesn't have value.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#40 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat May 30, 2015 4:29 am

And the WCS thing! If I read that again I'm gonna puke.

Return to Indiana Pacers