Could the Jazz pry Hill from the Pacers?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

TooBigYo
Freshman
And1: 11

Could the Jazz pry Hill from the Pacers? 

Post#1 » by TooBigYo » Sun May 17, 2015 6:12 pm

As most of the league knows, the Jazz are in desperate need of a point guard. I know you all love Hill, but if we could throw you enough assets, would you consider a 1 year rebuild around PG?

Here is what the Jazz's tradable assets look like:

Trevor Booker (1 year, 5M team option)
Alec Burks (4 year Rookie ext, 10M per year)
Trey Burke (2 more years on a rookie deal)
This year's #12 (probably)
2017 GSW 1st
2018 OKC 1st (it has lottery protection)
Next year's 1st
A lot of 2nd rounders

If you want Burks and a good pick, you might need to sweeten the pot. What do you think would get it done? Anything?
Clutch31
Sophomore
And1: 76

Re: Could the Jazz pry Hill from the Pacers? 

Post#2 » by Clutch31 » Sun May 17, 2015 6:27 pm

TooBigYo wrote:As most of the league knows, the Jazz are in desperate need of a point guard. I know you all love Hill, but if we could throw you enough assets, would you consider a 1 year rebuild around PG?

2017 GSW 1st
Next year's 1st
A lot of 2nd rounders

If you want Burks and a good pick, you might need to sweeten the pot. What do you think would get it done? Anything?

It will be difficult, Hill is both highly regarded by the front office and the fans, although i think anyone but PG13 is available for a good offer. For me a good offer would start with this years #12 and then something to make a deal financially work.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,048

Post#3 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon May 18, 2015 4:12 am

TooBigYo wrote:If you want Burks and a good pick, you might need to sweeten the pot. What do you think would get it done? Anything?

Not tremendously interested in Burke or Burks.

Bird would probably consider something along the lines of 12+ useful filler. Burks wouldn't get extra value from us. He's a SG that doesn't particularly shoot very well and he does a lot of other things ok. You paid him for the same reason we once paid Tinsley, Harrington, Foater, and Bender. You invested picks on them and training and needed to see them through. There's just not world beater value from others in Burks yet, but maybe one day.
MillerTheKiller
Senior
And1: 269

Post#4 » by MillerTheKiller » Mon May 18, 2015 2:54 pm

Are the Jazz really in desperate need of a PG though? They already have Burke and Exum.

Wouldn't mind a deal where we get Gobert though. ;)
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#5 » by pacers33granger » Mon May 18, 2015 5:46 pm

In short, yes the Jazz could since you guys have a bunch of valuable young players. Would it be for something Utah is willing to give up? Not likely. Clearly Gobert, Exum, Favors, Hayward are off the table and possibly Hood. We wouldn't want Burke specifically and Burks is too big of a question mark. Having 12 would be nice, but bringing in two high pick rookies would be tough and would mean we're basically rebuilding.
TooBigYo
Freshman

Post#6 » by TooBigYo » Mon May 18, 2015 7:42 pm

Alright, Trevor Booker and # 12 for Geroge Hill. Thoughts? It works in the trade checker.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue May 19, 2015 1:44 am

TooBigYo wrote:Alright, Trevor Booker and # 12 for Geroge Hill. Thoughts? It works in the trade checker.

Booker would be waived.

So #12 for Hill? As fans we'd like that. But Bird? He's probably want more. He once gave up #15 and 2 2nds for Hill, and the way he talks, he sounds like a man who feels like Hill is worth much more than that.
Miller4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 283

Post#8 » by Miller4ever » Tue May 19, 2015 7:09 am

Random thoughts: George Hill was a top-10 PG this season, and might've been a top-5 PG this season. Even with the slow start, George Hill had the 4th best (3rd best according to BR) PER amongst point guards in the league. Defensive contributions are underrated in PER, and George Hill is no slouch there either. He has shown he can shoot efficiently while taking lots of shots. He had better than a 30% assist percentage which isn't spectacular, but his turnover rate was 10%, 2nd best out of all starting PG's. He had the 4th best TS% out of all starting PG's, and the 7th best rebound rate out of the same group.

He flew really far under the radar. His numbers don't blow anybody away at first glance. However, he's now a point guard with no glaring weaknesses.

We have the #11 pick, and having both might actually allow us to move up into top-5 range. So with that it feels like to me:

George Hill + #11
for

I don't feel strongly about drafting point guards. They are the most difficult to gauge because of the evolution of their skills. So with all that I'd have to say pass. Not really feeling it...

However, the value is arguably fair.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#9 » by pacers33granger » Tue May 19, 2015 4:16 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
TooBigYo wrote:Alright, Trevor Booker and # 12 for Geroge Hill. Thoughts? It works in the trade checker.

Booker would be waived.

So #12 for Hill? As fans we'd like that. But Bird? He's probably want more. He once gave up #15 and 2 2nds for Hill, and the way he talks, he sounds like a man who feels like Hill is worth much more than that.

I can't say I'd like 12 for Hill. We'd have no PGs left on the roster and there aren't any decent ones in free agency this year, so we'd be pretty much stuck drafting Payne or Jones (I'd like either of them, but 12 seems like a reach for both, at least now). Or we'd hope to swing one of the picks for someone like Lawson, and I'd rather have Hill right now.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,929

Post#10 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue May 19, 2015 9:35 pm

TooBigYo wrote:As most of the league knows, the Jazz are in desperate need of a point guard. I know you all love Hill, but if we could throw you enough assets, would you consider a 1 year rebuild around PG?

2017 GSW 1st
Next year's 1st
A lot of 2nd rounders

Yeah we love GH and he played better last season when healthy than at any time in his career. He's from Indianapolis, fans love him. So to get him you're gonna have to over pay. Let's see your #12 and Rudy Gobert, Booker and Burke for GH and Hibbert. I don't know if that works but that's the kind of over pay it's gonna take. I'm not sold on Burke but it would mix things up I love gobert and the #12, Booker I'm taking for salary reasons but I see there is a team option on him so he could be left out of it.
TooBigYo
Freshman

Post#11 » by TooBigYo » Tue May 19, 2015 10:56 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:

2017 GSW 1st
Next year's 1st
A lot of 2nd rounders

Yeah we love GH and he played better last season when healthy than at any time in his career. He's from Indianapolis, fans love him. So to get him you're gonna have to over pay. Let's see your #12 and Rudy Gobert, Booker and Burke for GH and Hibbert. I don't know if that works but that's the kind of over pay it's gonna take. I'm not sold on Burke but it would mix things up I love gobert and the #12, Booker I'm taking for salary reasons but I see there is a team option on him so he could be left out of it.

Players that Utah fans would trade Rudy Gobert for (with their current contracts) include:

Anthony Davis
Stephen Curry
Kawhi (maybe)
CP3 (maybe)

I'm serious. After he started the Jazz were the best defensive team in the league by about 5 points per 100 possessions. If that was a trolling, touche'.

Otherwise, thanks everyone for the input, I think the Jazz would probably throw in the 2017 GSW 1st to the booker and #12 trade above. Would that seal the deal? Maybe a couple second rounders instead? Ante Tomic's draft rights?
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#12 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue May 19, 2015 11:12 pm

TooBigYo wrote:
Players that Utah fans would trade Rudy Gobert for (with their current contracts) include:

Anthony Davis
Stephen Curry
Kawhi (maybe)
CP3 (maybe)

I'm serious. After he started the Jazz were the best defensive team in the league by about 5 points per 100 possessions. If that was a trolling, touche'.

Otherwise, thanks everyone for the input, I think the Jazz would probably throw in the 2017 GSW 1st to the booker and #12 trade above. Would that seal the deal? Maybe a couple second rounders instead? Ante Tomic's draft rights?

Not really trolling but I said it would be an over pay, I doubt I'd trade Hill for #12 and the GSW 2017 picks plus Booker, I don't see Booker playing much for us, we're looking to bring back Scola, yeah he's 35 and so is West but Booker doesn't do much for me. Tomic I Don't know much about him. The 2 picks and Trey Burke? Maybe I'd have to talk to Larry! :lol:

As far as Gobert I love the guy don't blame you for not wanting to move him, as much as I like him he's not quite on the level of those names you listed, might be in another year so don't let him get away.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed May 20, 2015 12:21 am

TooBigYo wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:

2017 GSW 1st
Next year's 1st
A lot of 2nd rounders

Anthony Davis
Stephen Curry
Kawhi (maybe)
CP3 (maybe)

Probably not at all. Ultimately, Hill wouldn't be moved for #12 and ancillary pieces. The GS pick, couple 2nds or rights to Tomic don't really move the needle for anyone else. Those are all nickels that don't help get 75 cents to a dollar.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#14 » by SmashMouthRod » Wed May 20, 2015 5:01 am

If Bird is right about Cauley-Stein being a 100M player, Then I would I put Hill on the table for 12 and Trey Burke with no second thoughts. Then use 11 & 12 to get Philadelphia's pick considering that they love picks so much or any willing trade partner in the top 5. Pairing Cauley-Stein with PG13 sounds like it would be worth it. The trade would provide some cap relief perhaps to aid in bringing back Stuckey or signing another guy. The legitimate replacement for Hibberts impending exit would be on the roster. I would also just resign CJ Watson who played solid when he started. If the trade partners are unwilling then you get Frank Kaminsky at 11 and trade 12 and a 2nd to get into the bottom half of the top 10 and take Justise Winslow a Kawhi Leonard clone to play next to George.

Watson/Burke
Miles
PG
West
Hibbert/Cauley-Stein
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed May 20, 2015 3:56 pm

SmashMouthRod wrote:If Bird is right about Cauley-Stein being a 100M player, Then I would I put Hill on the table for 12 and Trey Burke with no second thoughts. Then use 11 & 12 to get Philadelphia's pick considering that they love picks so much or any willing trade partner in the top 5. Pairing Cauley-Stein with PG13 sounds like it would be worth it. The trade would provide some cap relief perhaps to aid in bringing back Stuckey or signing another guy. The legitimate replacement for Hibberts impending exit would be on the roster. I would also just resign CJ Watson who played solid when he started. If the trade partners are unwilling then you get Frank Kaminsky at 11 and trade 12 and a 2nd to get into the bottom half of the top 10 and take Justise Winslow a Kawhi Leonard clone to play next to George.

Watson/Burke
Miles
PG
West
Hibbert/Cauley-Stein

Watson is unlikely to return and WCS is much more likely to be at the bottom end of the 10 than Winslow.

Also, if Hill is dealt and West and Hibbert both opt in, we are in the exact same situation of trying to re sign Stuckey as we are now. We'd still only have only the BAE and MLE. No cap space.

If Bird truly does cover WCS and would do anything to get him, then he should be fired for making it that much harder to get him. Or, it's infinitely more likely that he might like the kid, as he might 10 other guys, and he said so.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#16 » by Moooose » Wed May 20, 2015 5:34 pm

Give Trey Burke some time and he'll get better. Not sure if Utah desperately needs a point guard.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#17 » by SmashMouthRod » Wed May 20, 2015 9:00 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
SmashMouthRod wrote:If Bird is right about Cauley-Stein being a 100M player, Then I would I put Hill on the table for 12 and Trey Burke with no second thoughts. Then use 11 & 12 to get Philadelphia's pick considering that they love picks so much or any willing trade partner in the top 5. Pairing Cauley-Stein with PG13 sounds like it would be worth it. The trade would provide some cap relief perhaps to aid in bringing back Stuckey or signing another guy. The legitimate replacement for Hibberts impending exit would be on the roster. I would also just resign CJ Watson who played solid when he started. If the trade partners are unwilling then you get Frank Kaminsky at 11 and trade 12 and a 2nd to get into the bottom half of the top 10 and take Justise Winslow a Kawhi Leonard clone to play next to George.

Watson/Burke
Miles
PG
West
Hibbert/Cauley-Stein

Watson is unlikely to return and WCS is much more likely to be at the bottom end of the 10 than Winslow.

Also, if Hill is dealt and West and Hibbert both opt in, we are in the exact same situation of trying to re sign Stuckey as we are now. We'd still only have only the BAE and MLE. No cap space.

If Bird truly does cover WCS and would do anything to get him, then he should be fired for making it that much harder to get him. Or, it's infinitely more likely that he might like the kid, as he might 10 other guys, and he said so.

I agree with that logic on Bird. From my perspective this draft may be the best chance to pair George with another potential superstar player considering that the Knicks and other teams are rumored to be making their pick available. An added benefit would be the rookie contract in contrary to a second max salary. Wouldnt the rookie contract be cheaper than the 8m that Hill makes thus creating a total salary reduction? In this NBA forecast the common theme has been Superstars joining other superstars to chase title dreams. West wont be around too much longer. Hill is as good as he will get. Its established that Hibbert isnt a star and may not even be wanted anymore. Solo is a role player and everyone else are role players. Paul needs a running mate to contend for years to come.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu May 21, 2015 3:41 am

SmashMouthRod wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Watson/Burke
Miles
PG
West
Hibbert/Cauley-Stein

I agree with that logic on Bird. From my perspective this draft may be the best chance to pair George with another potential superstar player considering that the Knicks and other teams are rumored to be making their pick available. An added benefit would be the rookie contract in contrary to a second max salary. Wouldnt the rookie contract be cheaper than the 8m that Hill makes thus creating a total salary reduction? In this NBA forecast the common theme has been Superstars joining other superstars to chase title dreams. West wont be around too much longer. Hill is as good as he will get. Its established that Hibbert isnt a star and may not even be wanted anymore. Solo is a role player and everyone else are role players. Paul needs a running mate to contend for years to come.

Sure, a rookie contract would be cheaper than Hill, but not tremendously so. The salary slot for the #4 pick is $3.326 million this year. Rookie's that high always sign for 120% of their slot (the maximum allowed), so the first year salary would be $3.99m. Hill makes $8m. So, we'd save around $4m this upcoming year. Not enough to do anything in terms of getting us under the cap and be able to spend it. For the following year, when we have cap space, the #4 pick would make $4.17m (again, 120% of his salary slot), so a little less than $4m in savings.

However, that would mean that we'd be going forward with Paul George and the #4 pick, instead of Paul George, George Hill, and the #11 pick. I'm not sold on Emmanuel Mudiay necessarily being anything other than the next Brandon Jennings, and then I don't see too tremendously a difference between 5-12 in terms of value of player, so I'd rather keep Hill, and either pick at 11, or see what else presents itself at other picks between 5-10 with us not having to give up a core player like George Hill.

Ultimately, depending on what else we do this summer, we could still have $50+million in cap space in 2016, WITH George Hill. I don't think an extra $3.8m would be more valuable in free agency than having George Hill.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#19 » by basketballwacko2 » Tue May 26, 2015 8:15 am

I agree with Scoot we keep Hill and West, if a trade for Hibbert comes along we consider it. I'm picking Miles Turner at #11 or WCS or considering trading down a few spots depending on who is there.
Tony M
Ballboy
And1: 26

Post#20 » by Tony M » Tue May 26, 2015 12:50 pm

There are reports in Lithuanian media that our NT guard Mantas Kalnietis is negotiating with Indiana Pacers at the moment:

http://www.basketnews.lt/news-85748-jei ... WRpo-dVvyQ

Kalnietis is not the quickest combo guard, but he likes to go to the basket. Out of necessity he plays as a starting PG for our national team and could also be considered one of the leaders. He just finished an injury plagued season, so the major question if he's fit enough.

What do you think?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPLKSJ6Wi5I[/youtube]

Return to Indiana Pacers