Report: unexpected team will fire it's coach

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

chube
Bench Warmer
And1: 51

Post#1 » by chube » Thu May 28, 2015 2:50 am

Saw that report in ProBasketballTalk, an "unexpected" team will fire its coach. Vogel would be unexpected, and if there's a lot of changes this summer, I suppose Vogel could be part of that, especially since it's harder to imagine him coaching a faster-paced up-and-down style.

From the commentary on this report, nobody is bringing up Vogel, but thought t was worth passing along. I'd be a little surprised if it was Vogel.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 404

Re: Report: unexpected team will fire it's coach 

Post#2 » by Grang33r » Thu May 28, 2015 4:48 am

I saw the report too but i highly doubt Vogel, based on all that has been said since the end of the season.

I hope this isn't a dud report. I hope this is a true "unexpected". My guess: McHale from Houston. Team is build so well, but very flawed on how they play. Almost seems to me like GSW with Jackson. They were so talented but the few flaws killed them. A new coach and they're nearly unstoppable.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,062

Post#3 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu May 28, 2015 7:14 am

chube wrote:Saw that report in ProBasketballTalk, an "unexpected" team will fire its coach. Vogel would be unexpected, and if there's a lot of changes this summer, I suppose Vogel could be part of that, especially since it's harder to imagine him coaching a faster-paced up-and-down style.

From the commentary on this report, nobody is bringing up Vogel, but thought t was worth passing along. I'd be a little surprised if it was Vogel.

Well, it was by Chris Sheridan who tends to throw a lot at the wall and celebrate his wins, while also pre-emptively backing away from his "certainties" when it looks like he misses ("sources NOW say differently..."). He's also the jerk that wrote a huge draft night column about how awful it was that only majority owners or team employees could attend draft lottery because we used to get "trophy wives, girlfriends, daughters, etc", which was just super creepy. So no, I don't respect Sheridan. He's been fired from everywhere else for a reason.

NOW. No. Vogel shouldn't be fired. If he is, I'd be massively disappointed in Bird, and would either expect him to coach the team, or be fired himself. That would be poor decision making. I imagine that ultimately he'll claim it's Thibodeau and that "no one reasonable expected him fired". But otherwise? More likely a Casey in Toronto, Joerger in Memphis (remember, they let him interview in Minnesota last year) or maybe a McHale.
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#4 » by pacers33granger » Thu May 28, 2015 2:42 pm

Didn't McHale just get a contract extension? I guess that would make it shocking. But I highly doubt it. Sheridan is a hack so I don't believe it but if I had to guess I'd go Wittman or Stotts.
chube
Bench Warmer
And1: 51

Post#5 » by chube » Thu May 28, 2015 8:39 pm

From the analysis I've seen, people are guessing Wittman or McHale, both along the train of thought they have done a good job, but need a better coach to get them over the hump.

Masai Ujiri has already said Casey will be back and it'd be a bad look to go back on that, barring some kind of blowup or scandal. I also thought about Terry Stotts, maybe if they have some kind of indication from Aldridge or Lillard that they wouldn't come back without a coaching change...but that seems unlikely.

Maybe Billy Donovan had another change of heart but paid off OKC to publicize it as a firing!

pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#6 » by pacers33granger » Thu May 28, 2015 10:48 pm

I'd doubt Casey will be let go. It seems like the Raptors will likely be staying the course for at least another year with the All Star game coming there. Can't risk the team falling apart. Though it will soon after, much like the Nuggets did, and Masai will go somewhere else again.
jarryd3107
Pro Prospect
And1: 129

Post#7 » by jarryd3107 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:28 am

Its possible that some team will make a move for Thibs now he is actually available. Wittman makes sense, especially if they want to lay the foundations for Durant to sign there, also maybe Steve Clifford or Byron Scott?

But yeh Sheridan sucks.

Return to Indiana Pacers