Pacers Select Myles Turner from Texas With 11th Pick

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Re: Pacers Select Myles Turner from Texas With 11th Pick 

Post#41 » by Moooose » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:54 am

The last few days leading to the draft, with the statements from Pritchard, Frank, and Larry, they all seemed to be leaning towards Lyles. And I was really expecting us to pick him. I'm not a fan of Lyles because he looks like a tweener than a combo forward. Could be a draft day decision by Bird, IMO. I just don't understand Vogel's explanation of us getting smaller at the 4, than at the 5 to get faster. If that's the case, we could just plug Hibbert with Paul at the 4. Myles is quicker, yes, but to run like you would like him to would be an effort. But on the plus side, his instinct on offense is way advanced for his age, very impressive with the spin and step backs. Like a slower LMA.
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#42 » by Moooose » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:55 am

And I think Myles' personality and background matters a lot. Well-mannered kid, and very intelligent too for his age.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,383

Post#43 » by jowglenn » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:36 pm

We had a different franchise big man whose career in Indiana ended and then we immediately replaced him with our next franchise big.

Remember when we had Rik Smits and Dale Davis as our guys? That was our starting big man combo for 8 straight years in the Reggie era. Playoffs year-in, year-out. Got to the Finals with them. Well Rik retired and it was time for change, so we traded Dale Davis and got this young fella named Jermaine O'Neal.

Jermaine O'Neal was the franchise big man for many years, a many-time all-star and 3rd in MVP voting one year (crazy, right?). Great playoff runs, including 55 against the Nets one time. His injuries started being an issue, the post-brawl thing just wasn't working, and his time came. Traded away. For the 17th pick.

We got Hibbert with the 17th pick in a strong draft and he was way way less athletic than Turner is and had less of an offensive game. We managed to turn him into a perennial top defensive big man. We had a good 7 years with him, and he was near tops in blocks for most of those. He made an all-defensive 2nd team and an all-star game. He had that block on Carmelo and the crazy two weeks where he was a 20/10/2 god-mode playoff beast.

Then the following season he got exposed and had his 0/0 game and his 2/1 and 2/2 games and Hibbertcoin dropped like a rock.

But all of these guys were franchise figurestones, and all of their terms with the team ended with an almost immediate replacement by the very next guy. In fact, the Davis/O'Neal/Hibbert chain is literally one guy who was traded for the next guy who was traded for the next guy. A damn good re-use of value. Get 5 or 6 great years out of Davis, trade him for O'Neal, get 5 or 6 great years out of O'Neal, trade him for Hibbert, get 5 or 6 great years out of Hibbert, trade him for the next guy.

Now the torch passes once again. Hibbert will be gone either this year or the next and Myles Turner will be the Pacers' main big man for the next 8 years. He actually reminds me a bit of Jermaine O'Neal, crazy enough.

And then when he's 29 or 30 we can probably trade him for someone then.
willywazza
Bench Warmer
And1: 412

Post#44 » by willywazza » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:45 pm

An excellent building block for this team. Can't wait to see Turner develop into a quality player!
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#45 » by Wizop » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:31 pm

Moooose wrote:And I think Myles' personality and background matters a lot. Well-mannered kid, and very intelligent too for his age.

I was blown away by his press conference. very articulate.

there are some articles here on RealGM talking about how he fits here. worth reading.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#46 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:52 pm

mikepacernation wrote:Not a big fan of them letting him wear #33 that will always be grangers number to me

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Oh, you're young! :lol:
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Post#47 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:56 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
mikepacernation wrote:Not a big fan of them letting him wear #33 that will always be grangers number to me

Wasnt Clark Kellong #33?
davidfr94
Senior
And1: 500

Post#48 » by davidfr94 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:15 am

I was a little bit unhappy with the pick ta first i was really hoping to see someone fall to us (Wislow for example) and tbh i didnt realy know the Guy.
But right now il feel pretty confident with the pick from what i hâve seen he seems to hâve a lot more potential than our mentally troubled center, better motor better mobility (ok not that hard to do) je seems better facing the basket turnaround jump shot and a good shot blocker too. I mean if you Look at the développement of Roy (slow big Man that could not stay on the court to someone with all star sélection and an impressive (some Times) défensive player) There is nô reason not to think that this kid can t become a realy good player
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#49 » by Winglish » Sun Jul 5, 2015 4:04 am

Jazz fan here- I really wanted Turner to fall one more spot as the Jazz need a backup center. I warched his first summer league game and Turner won't have to be anybody's backup for long. He looked great! 20 points, 8 boards, 3 blocks is a helluva first game! Congratulations, I think you have Hibbert's replacement. 8-)
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Post#50 » by Grang33r » Sun Jul 5, 2015 5:08 am

Turner interview with basketball insiders after todays summer league game- http://www.basketballinsiders.com/video-myles-turner-2015-orlando-summer-league/
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,056

Post#51 » by Wizop » Sun Jul 5, 2015 11:41 pm

Would have been fun to get Winslow and young as their dads played together in college but turner looks like fit
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,276

Post#52 » by boomershadow » Mon Jul 6, 2015 12:06 am

basketballwacko2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Wasnt Clark Kellong #33?

My #33 is Antonio Davis.
MillerTheKiller
Senior
And1: 269

Post#53 » by MillerTheKiller » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:56 pm

love it
pkiskool
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,073

Post#54 » by pkiskool » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:22 pm

Really like this guy...
With some time in the weight room as well as being more intelligent down the road... he could be the next J.O for you guys.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,052

Post#55 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:00 pm

pkiskool wrote:Really like this guy...
With some time in the weight room as well as being more intelligent down the road... he could be the next J.O for you guys.

I get what you mean (underdrafted young guy that turns good), but it's not really a good comparison, especially when you factor in attitudes, leadership possibilities, and community outreach. JO was a guy you worked around, Turner is a guy that will work on everything, and will be a full part of everything. Plus, the plan is that Turner will stretch more past the 3 pt line, while JO feasted on the low and mid post, as well as occasional elbow jumpshots.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Post#56 » by basketballwacko2 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:56 pm

mikepacernation wrote:Horrible pick.. So dumb

Whut say you now Mike? 8-)
Miller4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 283

Post#57 » by Miller4ever » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:25 pm

Miller4ever wrote:This is the guy I wanted the most, so I'm happy. He's been working on running and shooting on his own, and he already has the tools to come in and be a lengthy rim protector.

Hey, I was right for once.
RonaldArtest
General Manager
And1: 12,531

Post#58 » by RonaldArtest » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:57 am

You guys have a really solid rook here in turner. He has a big impact when he's on the floor, and is really protecting the paint with his size and how active he is.
JV4MVP
General Manager
And1: 9,582

Post#59 » by JV4MVP » Thu May 5, 2016 12:00 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FnmS84EtJc[/youtube]
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#60 » by SD2042 » Mon May 9, 2016 2:12 pm

Myles was the guy I wanted the Magic to select in last year's draft. Mainly for some of the reasons some of you guys posted in the thread along with the fact that he's well-spoken and educated. He would've been the perfect guy to put next to either Aaron Gordon or Niko Vucevic in the lineup. The GM decided on Mario Hezonja. Although Hezonja shows some promises, I can only hope he works on his game this offseason and proves me wrong about him when next season arrives.

Return to Indiana Pacers