Sporting News: Pacers Sign Jordan Hill

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,145

Re: Pacers Sign Jordan Hill 

Post#21 » by SlimShady83 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:01 am

Another Laker fan here, can't say too much other then the above already said < I'm also a hill fan and one of few who wanted him to stay, but I'll be keeping a close eye on him for sure, not sure if his the type of player you guys need, but we all can just sit back and wait n see < going to miss him :(
Bring back Defense
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#22 » by Moooose » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:46 am

We now have all the Hills in the NBA - George, Jordan, and Solomon.
Moooose
Starter

Post#23 » by Moooose » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:08 am

I think Jordan Hill is one of the more undervalued players in the league. Maybe because it has taken him some years and some failed attempts to figure out his potential. I actually think he's a good player, especially in his past two years as a Laker. We pretty much need some rebounding and I think he will help a lot in that category. I'm just not that sure if he can average a block a game as he's really not a shot blocker, but he's a pretty decent legit big man who's got a developing game.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,363

Post#24 » by jowglenn » Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:10 am

I'm glad we got him - he was the best available big man and I think he fits our new run-and-gun identity well.

He is still in his prime - he'll turn 28 this month. He's a great rebounder, shoots pretty well from all over, and knows his role. He's a role player, and a good one, and he knows who he is. He's a veteran who still has plenty of his best years left.

It all depends on the contract, of course. If we got him for something like 3 years, 20 million, with a 3rd year team option, fan-freaking-tastic. Awesome. Anything less than that is a complete steal.

But if it's something like 4 years, 35 million with a player option, then it's pretty iffy.
xBulletproof
Analyst
And1: 4,293

Post#25 » by xBulletproof » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:18 am

jowglenn wrote:It all depends on the contract, of course. If we got him for something like 3 years, 20 million, with a 3rd year team option, fan-freaking-tastic. Awesome. Anything less than that is a complete steal.

But if it's something like 4 years, 35 million with a player option, then it's pretty iffy.

Pretty sure its going to be a 2 year deal. Would explain why it wasn't a sign and trade. For a S&T it has to be at least a 3 year deal.
jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,363

Post#26 » by jowglenn » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:01 pm

xBulletproof wrote:
jowglenn wrote:It all depends on the contract, of course. If we got him for something like 3 years, 20 million, with a 3rd year team option, fan-freaking-tastic. Awesome. Anything less than that is a complete steal.

Pretty sure its going to be a 2 year deal. Would explain why it wasn't a sign and trade. For a S&T it has to be at least a 3 year deal.

That would be good. Hopefully it's a 2 year deal with a team option 2nd year (just like his prior deal w/ LA). That way it doesn't really matter if we overpaid him a bit this year since we'll have the option to ditch him if we have better options next summer.

I really want to see the numbers though.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#27 » by Jake0890 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:21 pm

Moooose wrote:We now have all the Hills in the NBA - George, Jordan, and Solomon.

Yup.

"Hill top of the key. Dribbles around a pick by Hill. Passes into Hill. Hill steps back takes a 20 footer! No good rebound Hill. Hill dribbles in for the layup. It's good!"
Moooose
Starter

Post#28 » by Moooose » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:44 pm

Jake0890 wrote:
Moooose wrote:We now have all the Hills in the NBA - George, Jordan, and Solomon.

Yup.

"Hill top of the key. Dribbles around a pick by Hill. Passes into Hill. Hill steps back takes a 20 footer! No good rebound Hill. Hill dribbles in for the layup. It's good!"

In my head, I can definitely hear the commentators saying it. lol
Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,048

Post#29 » by Wizop » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:56 pm

I think when you look back at this summer's contracts next year we'll find it was impossible to overpay unless the player got hurt or didn't fit.
MNPacersfan
Junior
And1: 14

Post#30 » by MNPacersfan » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:14 pm

Reminds me of the movement last summer to corner the CJ market.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#31 » by Boneman2 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:41 am

Soooo, why no details yet. Bird is trolling the hell out of us IMHO.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,042

Post#32 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:14 am

Boneman2 wrote:Soooo, why no details yet. Bird is trolling the hell out of us IMHO.

Reportedly 2yr/$10m (so $5m per) with a player option on 2nd year. No confirmation though.
Boneman2
General Manager

Post#33 » by Boneman2 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:42 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Boneman2 wrote:Soooo, why no details yet. Bird is trolling the hell out of us IMHO.

Reportedly 2yr/$10m (so $5m per) with a player option on 2nd year. No confirmation though.

I love it. What a bargain. Although we lost DWest, I think with Lavoy playing more minutes and the addition of Hill, we'll be much, much tougher in the blocks.

Good looking out Scoot.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,929

Post#34 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:36 am

$5 million a year is a little more than I wanted to see us spend but it's ok, there's still a few spots left to fill on the roster as long as we don't go nuts and over pay someone.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:59 pm

Boneman2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

I love it. What a bargain. Although we lost DWest, I think with Lavoy playing more minutes and the addition of Hill, we'll be much, much tougher in the blocks.

Good looking out Scoot.

I think a Hill/Allen combo can match the production of David West. By no means are they going to match the rest of what David West brings to a team. Why I'm still looking at bringing in an old man or two. Maybe guys like Elton Brand and Rasual Butler. They don't have to play much. Just need them in the locker room.
Boneman2
General Manager

Post#36 » by Boneman2 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:16 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Boneman2 wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Good looking out Scoot.

I think a Hill/Allen combo can match the production of David West. By no means are they going to match the rest of what David West brings to a team. Why I'm still looking at bringing in an old man or two. Maybe guys like Elton Brand and Rasual Butler. They don't have to play much. Just need them in the locker room.

That's not a bad idea at all.
EuroPacer
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Post#37 » by EuroPacer » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:29 pm

Reasonably pleased with this. We are clearly not interested in D anymore, if Vogel can get us playing a more exciting brand of basketball (although I love watching a solid D team) that will do.
Vogel is Dutch for Bird.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Re: Sporting News: Pacers Sign Jordan Hill 

Post#38 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:54 am

Did we really sign this guy? I'm not seeing anything on it on ESPN.com. What about Kevin Seraphin? Seems he's getting no interest at all. Could we get him for $2 million or so. And there's Henry Sims.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:28 pm

basketballwacko2 wrote:Did we really sign this guy? I'm not seeing anything on it on ESPN.com. What about Kevin Seraphin? Seems he's getting no interest at all. Could we get him for $2 million or so. And there's Henry Sims.

Ellis and Stuckey haven't signed either. Could be that we're still organizing the order of operations on our moves for salary cap reasons, or that guys are on vacation, etc. It seems Bird really likes to have guys come to Indy to sign and for press reasons, whereas other teams are happy to have their guys sign via fax/email wherever they are in the world. I think Bird just isn't sweating it.
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#40 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:59 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
basketballwacko2 wrote:Did we really sign this guy? I'm not seeing anything on it on ESPN.com. What about Kevin Seraphin? Seems he's getting no interest at all. Could we get him for $2 million or so. And there's Henry Sims.

Ellis and Stuckey haven't signed either. Could be that we're still organizing the order of operations on our moves for salary cap reasons, or that guys are on vacation, etc. It seems Bird really likes to have guys come to Indy to sign and for press reasons, whereas other teams are happy to have their guys sign via fax/email wherever they are in the world. I think Bird just isn't sweating it.

Could be too that Doc Rivers has them all locked up in their houses? :o

Return to Indiana Pacers