Pacers Community Thread

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 4,070

Re: Pacers Community Thread 

Post#41 » by Wizop » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:58 pm

we also have Assistant Professor which is more of an entry level title. I think publication often begins by getting your name added below the name of the lead author. we have research assistants and teaching assistants although I'm not sure what their formal titles are and they can be graduate students still working on their doctorates. I think it is common for faculty to start at less prestigious schools. have you asked the lecturers you learned under how they got started?

I taught business law online for the University of Phoenix for about a dozen years but I was never part of an on campus faculty. I did fill in for a few courses at the local campus but I much preferred online because everyone could take their time thinking out and researching their posts. The pay per hour wasn't great but interacting with the students was fun.
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#42 » by Jake0890 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:19 am

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. Didn't get the chance to respond until now.

Took a trip up to Chicago/N Indiana earlier this week and when I was up there I got the chance to visit UChicago and Notre Dame. Honestly, wow. Both of them absolutely INCREDIBLE campuses, there's no way I could possibly do them justice. The financial aid available there is a huge bonus. I could end up going to UChicago for basically free and go to ND for in the single thousands.

UChicago is liberal in every sense of the world. From attitude to courses to curriculums, everything. Their integration into Hyde Park and a part of the Chicago community is super cool. There's so many things to do there outside of the campus which is a huge plus. The area surrounding UChicago to the South is a little run down, near the interstate at least. Just not the nicest area down there.

Notre Dame is equally as impressive. Don't have a religious reason to be there though, so I'm realizing that may not be the best place for me. Still, the school is amazing. Very different style from UChicago, but equally beautiful. Very European, lots of art, stained glass, French stuff as the school was founded by French priests IIRC. Thing is, South Bend is kinda... uh, boring to say the least. It's nothing like Chicago and basically nothing happens outside of campus unless you're taking the Greyhound to Chicago. They try to make the campus as self contained as possible, and they succeeded, you'll never need to take a step off campus, but I'm still not a huge fan.

Going to visit Bloomington and Butler later on this month probably, we'll see how that goes.

Anyway, appreciate the insight again. Not sure if anyone really wanted and update, but I needed a place to compose my thoughts, so here they are. :)
Wizop
RealGM

Post#43 » by Wizop » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:43 am

UC isn't as liberal as you think. okay, I went to the Law School and I'm a liberal but UC was also the home of Milton Friedman and conservative economics are still rampant. Scalia and Obama have been been there so there's diversity of thought.

did you say whether this is undergrad or graduate school? what field?
EuroPacer
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Post#44 » by EuroPacer » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:04 pm

Wizop wrote:we also have Assistant Professor which is more of an entry level title. I think publication often begins by getting your name added below the name of the lead author. we have research assistants and teaching assistants although I'm not sure what their formal titles are and they can be graduate students still working on their doctorates. I think it is common for faculty to start at less prestigious schools. have you asked the lecturers you learned under how they got started?

I taught business law online for the University of Phoenix for about a dozen years but I was never part of an on campus faculty. I did fill in for a few courses at the local campus but I much preferred online because everyone could take their time thinking out and researching their posts. The pay per hour wasn't great but interacting with the students was fun.

Hi Wiz,

yeah, assistant professor is equal to the British title of lecturer. I will have to do some RA (Research Associate) jobs for a while. The issue re. publications is that my study was deductive and I've only got real results in the final stretch. So there are papers in preparation, but they haven't been accepted yet.

I've also had a few chats with corporate representatives about data analysis roles, much better money but can't quite give up on the dream yet! Oh and also doing a lot of free-lance at the moment, also good money, so I am not as destitute as I was last year when I ran out of funding but not out of research!
Vogel is Dutch for Bird.
EuroPacer
Sixth Man
And1: 785

Post#45 » by EuroPacer » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:08 pm

Jake0890 wrote:Cool thread.

I'm solid. But right now, looking for where I'll be spending the next few years of my life at college. Guess that shows how young I actually am, huh?

Looking at Notre Dame, IU, Univ of Chicago, Butler, Purdue at the moment. Also considered going East to Ivy League or even out west to the Cali schools, though that's pretty unlikely now.

If anyone's got some insight, I'm all ears.

Glad to hear you all are doing well.

(And other post)

Excellent short-list Jake, all Unis I've heard off, so you must have done well in school ;)

The Chicago school of sociology played a major role in my research and as I understand it, the faculty is still incredibly strong. I also met (briefly) with a professor at Purdue who was active in my field, again someone who is a major player in my area of research. I am always rather confused about the prevelance of sport in the image of US unis, but the work coming from those places is incredible.
Vogel is Dutch for Bird.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#46 » by Jake0890 » Sat Aug 1, 2015 1:53 pm

Wizop wrote:UC isn't as liberal as you think. okay, I went to the Law School and I'm a liberal but UC was also the home of Milton Friedman and conservative economics are still rampant. Scalia and Obama have been been there so there's diversity of thought.

did you say whether this is undergrad or graduate school? what field?

Wasn't meaning liberal in any negative sense of the word, that's just the impression I got. It's an interesting experience.

This would be my undergrad. I wish I could tell you exactly what I want to do (and so do my parents) but I haven't decided on an intended major yet. It'll probably be something in the science/medicine world, in general. Was looking at Biochem, Chem, and Molecular Engineering majors awhile back. Currently, plans are to head to med school postgrad, but that could change too.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#47 » by Wizop » Sat Aug 1, 2015 7:01 pm

I do not consider liberal to be a dirty word. engineering sounds like Purdue. Medicine sounds like IU. Butler has a pharmacy school which I think is respected. Chicago should prepare you for anything although I must admit I know little of the undergraduate program as I just went to the Law School. I had a sister go there but her memories would be ancient history. way back then it was a liberal place which meant the students were anti-vietnam war and pro-civil rights. it's a much smaller place than IU or Purdue. with big schools there are niches of every kind if you can find them.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#48 » by Jake0890 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 2:34 am

Wizop wrote:I do not consider liberal to be a dirty word. engineering sounds like Purdue. Medicine sounds like IU. Butler has a pharmacy school which I think is respected. Chicago should prepare you for anything although I must admit I know little of the undergraduate program as I just went to the Law School. I had a sister go there but her memories would be ancient history. way back then it was a liberal place which meant the students were anti-vietnam war and pro-civil rights. it's a much smaller place than IU or Purdue. with big schools there are niches of every kind if you can find them.

Yeah, all the schools in Indiana have what they're "known for" as you pointed out. Engineering is definitely Purdue, but with UC's hospital on campus and whatnot it's probably just as good of a choice as IU for med. I'd actually end up paying less out of pocket for UC than IU anyway, as ridiculous as that sounds. Class size is a huge bonus too. But Bloomington is another sweet campus too and closer to home. I dunno man, ha.

Anyway, in my mind you're bound to get relatively the same education anywhere you go (to a certain extent), but it's all about where you feel the most comfortable.

I'll be taking another trip to IU and Butler at the end of the month, should be fun. Hoping to get all these visits in before the early decision deadline.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#49 » by Wizop » Sun Aug 2, 2015 12:36 pm

I spent my college years in Rhode Island and while I was ready at the end to come back to the midwest, I thought there was great value in being away from home. Chicago might be a great compromise as it is far enough away that you won't be tempted to bring your laundry home every week but close enough that coming home on holidays would be easy. you might want to look at something further away though. I loved my four years at Brown and they do have an undergraduate medical program that might interest you.

https://www.brown.edu/admission/undergraduate/apply/special-programs#PLME
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#50 » by Jake0890 » Sun Aug 2, 2015 7:42 pm

After a quick read, that program looks absolutely fantastic. It's a shame I don't live in the Northeast...

Location is always gonna be a problem for me with those Ivy schools. Just taking a visit would be a big trip, let alone living there. And enrolling to a school you haven't seen before would be pretty nerve racking. Attending ANY of the Ivy League schools, be it Brown or otherwise, would be an awesome experience, no doubt about it. Just don't know if I have the confidence to just go and do it, ya know. :lol:

Again, really appreciate the feedback Wizop. Thanks a bunch.
Wizop
RealGM

Post#51 » by Wizop » Sun Aug 2, 2015 9:18 pm

You can always come back to IU for med school or a residency. Chicago and Notre dame are a cut or two above the state schools.
Miller4ever
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 283

Post#52 » by Miller4ever » Thu Aug 6, 2015 6:42 am

Also, at your age, I would recommend challenging your comfort zones earlier when it's a choice rather than later when it's not. If things don't go well, transferring is not the end of the world.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Re: 

Post#53 » by Scoot McGroot » Thu Aug 6, 2015 6:21 pm

Wizop wrote:You can always come back to IU for med school or a residency. Chicago and Notre dame are a cut or two above the state schools.

As a doctor's husband, plan on being somewhere else for medical school than you went to for undergrad. University of Chicago would be a huge boon for when you would interview at medical schools, as there are a couple in Chicago that you would avoid having to travel and book hotels and such.
pacers33
Rookie
And1: 1,304

Post#54 » by pacers33 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:02 am

How was your summer guys/gals?
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 404

Post#55 » by Grang33r » Sat Nov 7, 2015 6:44 am

Hey guys, good thread i like threads like these as it allows the users to get to know each other outside from basketball a bit. Sorry i havnt been around much again recently, work has been crazy and just bought a house. Between work, and house work, im literally never online anymore besides on my phone. I will try to do my best to keep up though!

Hope everyone has been good!
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#56 » by Grang33r » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:24 am

I just got an iPhone last week and just downloaded the realgm app. Lol

Trying it out, this is my first post from my cell phone...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#57 » by boomershadow » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:32 am

Grang33r wrote:Hey guys, good thread i like threads like these as it allows the users to get to know each other outside from basketball a bit. Sorry i havnt been around much again recently, work has been crazy and just bought a house. Between work, and house work, im literally never online anymore besides on my phone. I will try to do my best to keep up though!

Hope everyone has been good!

Congrats on buying a house Mr. Grang33r. It was definitely a proud moment for me when I did it, and good luck on all the work that goes into keeping it up.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#58 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:52 pm

Grang33r wrote:I just got an iPhone last week and just downloaded the realgm app. Lol

Trying it out, this is my first post from my cell phone...

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Totally missed these last couple ones around Thanksgiving. Congrats on the house. We just bought ours in May. If you haven't noticed already, you'll have to be careful not to find an infinite amount of things to fix!

Also, I used to use the realgm app, but have switched over to merely using the website via safari on my iPhone. It's feature rich (and allows better modding tools, though we have very little need to mod this forum...) and more well rounded than the app was.
xBulletproof
Analyst
And1: 4,368

Post#59 » by xBulletproof » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:57 am

Man it feels like forever ago I posted about my girl having cancer here. Since then its gone as well as can be expected. Chemo is done, port has been removed from her chest and a clean bill of health has been given.

My job laid me off at my request (don't work much in the winter anyway) and so I cooked, cleaned and did everything around the house the last 3 months for her. I had a job at FedEx as a delivery driver lined up but she preferred me to stay home, so she didn't have to do anything. She's been a boss through all of this. She didn't miss one day of work outside of chemo days which is unavoidable. Actually she even went to work on chemo day a couple of times. She has been amazing. Her coworkers made us dinner every night after chemo, so they were awesome. Her new jobs insurance was so great. We have been able to afford everything so easily. Never even got a bill for anything from the main hospital stay, which was 90K or so.

With that all behind us we are focused on making this year as good as last year was bad. We have a trip to Arizona booked. Are debating on an Alaskan cruise cruise or trip to Hawaii. And in September we have plans to go to London to see the Colts game there in early October. This year should be fun.
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#60 » by Grang33r » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:06 pm

xBulletproof wrote:Man it feels like forever ago I posted about my girl having cancer here. Since then its gone as well as can be expected. Chemo is done, port has been removed from her chest and a clean bill of health has been given.

My job laid me off at my request (don't work much in the winter anyway) and so I cooked, cleaned and did everything around the house the last 3 months for her. I had a job at FedEx as a delivery driver lined up but she preferred me to stay home, so she didn't have to do anything. She's been a boss through all of this. She didn't miss one day of work outside of chemo days which is unavoidable. Actually she even went to work on chemo day a couple of times. She has been amazing. Her coworkers made us dinner every night after chemo, so they were awesome. Her new jobs insurance was so great. We have been able to afford everything so easily. Never even got a bill for anything from the main hospital stay, which was 90K or so.

With that all behind us we are focused on making this year as good as last year was bad. We have a trip to Arizona booked. Are debating on an Alaskan cruise cruise or trip to Hawaii. And in September we have plans to go to London to see the Colts game there in early October. This year should be fun.

Hey, sorry, i dont know why it took me so long to see this but this is awesome! Glad to hear! All the best wishes to you and your family!

Few of my friends last season went to the Bills game in London (vs Jax) and loved it. They would go back again and said its a must-trip if the Bills ever go back.

Boomer/Scoot - thanks for the well wishes. Its been great!

Return to Indiana Pacers