Pro Prospect
And1: 129

Pacers name change? 

Post#1 » by jarryd3107 » Fri May 6, 2016 12:29 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RickMcGrooder/status/727873990199549952[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RickMcGrooder/status/728226532712419328[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RickMcGrooder/status/728227159102394369[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RickMcGrooder/status/728226855136931840[/tweet]

Anything to this or is this guy a looney tune? How would you feel about a complete re-brand? How would you feel about the Pacers' name changing? Personally, I'd be shattered if they changed the name of the team.

Disclaimer: this guy also advocates trading PG for Dragic so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Re: Pacers name change? 

Post#2 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri May 6, 2016 12:54 am

Nope. Complete loon. He's a nobody, who knows nobody (though he claims he has inside sources...we've had a lot of those guys around here in forever and never once did they EVER check out).

And, putting the word "verified" in your twitter profile, while not actually being verified is just a sad look.

Logo could change. It's about time for a tuneup a bit. Uniforms, too. But name? Even mascot? Likely not. There's around 50 years of history in both for the Pacers. An awful lot of historical value to throw away on a whim there.
ThirtyOne
Freshman
And1: 4

Post#3 » by ThirtyOne » Fri May 6, 2016 12:54 am

Name change? Hell no, Pacers is a well established name and theres 0% chance of that happening.

Were long overdue for some new jerseys though. The branding could use some tweeks too, but the P logo is strong.
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#4 » by Boneman2 » Fri May 6, 2016 4:27 am

Here's another post by McGrooder 1 hr prior:

Vogel is a top 5 coach in the history of basketball, hard to argue that. Bird bottom 5 GM in the history of SPORTS. Somethings not right..

And 1 hour prior to that:

Bird/Pagano/PG are sitting on the board of "Most Delusional/Worst/Clueless Indy Sports Personnel" Get them out and Indy sports will THRIVE

And another:

Hard to fathom just how much of a bonehead Bird is

Conclusion:

He's definitely not an insider.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#5 » by boomershadow » Fri May 6, 2016 1:16 pm

"We have decided to move on from Boomer. We are not firing him, but his contract is up and we have decided not to renew it. We are worried after so many yearsthat fans start to tune him out. He is a great guy, and it is a tough decision, but I feel like it is time for a new voice and a new direction."
Jermainevent
Senior
And1: 152

Post#6 » by Jermainevent » Sat May 7, 2016 2:00 pm

It's certainly time for a makeover, as we have had these jerseys since the 2005-06 season. The timing is right, as we seem to be in the midst of changing our identity, at least offensively. These will always be the Blue Collar/Gold Swagger Jerseys to me, even though we had them quite a few years prior to that marketing pitch.

The logo, I do not really mind too much, it's been basically the same since 1990-91, aside from it being outlined in gray and a slight font change in 05-06.

I just wonder if we don't wait another season until Nike's contract with NBA kicks in. I'm sure Nike would prefer teams wait, so they can benefit from the sales of the new jersey designs.
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”
― Hippocrates
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#7 » by Moooose » Sun May 8, 2016 4:19 am

Name change? Definitely no. But a team identity makeover? Definitely yes. Personally, I am not a fan of these uniforms we've been using. It is a downgrade from the pinstripes, IMO. It is cleaner, yes. But it also somehow lost the feel that the pinstripes and the flojo eras had.
chube
Bench Warmer
And1: 51

Post#8 » by chube » Sun May 8, 2016 8:44 am

I love those pinstripes. That look seems to have died out but I'd love to see it make a comeback, or at least use them on throwback nights more often. I play in the pinstripes 9 times out of 10 on 2K

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Jermainevent
Senior
And1: 152

Post#9 » by Jermainevent » Sun May 8, 2016 1:44 pm

chube wrote:I love those pinstripes. That look seems to have died out but I'd love to see it make a comeback, or at least use them on throwback nights more often. I play in the pinstripes 9 times out of 10 on 2K

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Yeah, at one time pinstripes were all the rage. The Bulls, Raptors, Hornets, Bobcats and Magic all supported their own rendition of the look. When we had those, I remember our jerseys were pretty much annually ranked in the top 5 of best looks in the NBA. I had the blue away and gold alternates as a kid, I wore them all the time in elementary school. I personally wouldn't mind for an updated version of those to be in the mix going forward.
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”
― Hippocrates
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 404

Post#10 » by Grang33r » Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:23 am

I was going back trying to find a thread announcing the Pacers hiring Bill Bayno as assistant to see what people thought and ran into this thread... LOL. Pure gold.

While the guy seems like a loon and a fraud, i still thank him for the laugh tonight.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#11 » by basketballwacko2 » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:34 pm

There is no way the Pacers change their name. What to the "Rodney Dangerfields?" I mean come on 50 plus years as the Pacers. I can see a uniform chance maybe, especially those hideous "Hickory" uniforms!!

jowglenn
General Manager
And1: 2,384

Post#12 » by jowglenn » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:05 am

I would like to see a 21st century update on the old Flo-Jos - something diagonal, slashing; lines that create an impression of movement, of speed.

I think a new version would incorporate some curvier stuff, as it is the future. I would look to various futuristic looking cars and phones for inspiration.

Return to Indiana Pacers