Reggie believes Indy will contend with Cavs

Moderators: pacers33granger, boomershadow, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890

Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Reggie believes Indy will contend with Cavs 

Post#1 » by Grang33r » Tue Aug 2, 2016 2:56 am

Can't really blame him - i love the moves Bird has made. Really turned this team around real quick. But it's nice to see someone trusted give us some respect, despite him being a legend from our team. Still, it's good to see :D

Read on Twitter
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,234

Re: Reggie believes Indy will contend with Cavs 

Post#2 » by boomershadow » Tue Aug 2, 2016 9:19 pm

I actually think Reggie is usually pretty good about not homer-ing on about the Pacers.
PaulGeorgeHill
Freshman
And1: 63

Post#3 » by PaulGeorgeHill » Tue Aug 2, 2016 11:20 pm

Imo he is absolutely right, but I also think it will take either a trade by bird for a 3&d guard or McMillan to have the balls to bench Monta in favor of CJ Miles. If we stay currently constructed with Ellis starting then our ceiling is ecf without giving the Cavs much of a challenge. If we get a legit shooter and defender in the starting lineup, skies the limit

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 400

Post#4 » by Grang33r » Wed Aug 3, 2016 4:08 am

^^ Good stuff, PaulGeorgeHill. Welcome to the forums! Looking forward to your posts.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Moooose
Starter
And1: 203

Post#5 » by Moooose » Wed Aug 3, 2016 7:15 am

Before the addition of Jefferson, the weakest point was the center position. That void that was caused by the departure of Mahinmi was quite glaring. With only a developing Myles Turner poised to get the nod at the starting spot. Defensively, we will miss Mahinmi at times, but Myles should be better now than he was a year ago. And though Jefferson is not as quick as Mahinmi, he is better offensively and has a size to defend bigs of the same physique.

The weakest point now, to me, is the starting SG spot even if we make CJ Miles the starter. I am thinking of getting one of the league's best spot-up shooters like Korver, Danny Green, or even Redick.

It is hard to ignore that the Pacers has gotten better with this offseason's addition. Minus the losses, this team is absolutely deeper and more talented than last year's. Add to that the promising development of our young guns in Joe Young, Glen Robinson III, and Myles Turner. It would be really hard to ignore the Pacers this year.
PaulGeorgeHill
Freshman

Post#6 » by PaulGeorgeHill » Wed Aug 3, 2016 9:35 am

The addition of cj Miles in the starting unit wouldn't be a cure-all, but it is a hell of a lot better fit than Ellis. Especially if little dog is ready to contribute with the second unit

PaulGeorgeHill
Freshman

Re: RE: Re: Reggie believes Indy will contend with Cavs 

Post#7 » by PaulGeorgeHill » Wed Aug 3, 2016 9:41 am

Grang33r wrote:^^ Good stuff, PaulGeorgeHill. Welcome to the forums! Looking forward to your posts.

Thanks! I've lurked around here for a while and noticed the pacers fan support on realgm isn't the greatest so I figured I would finally start posting. Might as well do it now before all the bandwagon fans come flooding in after we beat Durant in the finals. I've been a member of Pacers Digest for a few years and wish more people would post here as well

Wizop
RealGM
And1: 3,987

Post#8 » by Wizop » Wed Aug 3, 2016 4:24 pm

PaulGeorgeHill wrote:Imo he is absolutely right, but I also think it will take either a trade by bird for a 3&d guard or McMillan to have the balls to bench Monta in favor of CJ Miles.

Not sure how that helps with Brooks and Young being the backup point guards. All of our ones are short so whatever unit Monta plays on his back court mate is going to be his size or shorter. Bird and McMillan have to be okay with that ... unless they are just waiting for the right Monta deal to come along so they can ship him out and play CJ and GRob at the two. My reading is that the plan is to play fast and force the opponents to match up.

I think the defensive concerns are overstated as you can accomplish a lot with scheme. One option if your lineup is fast enough to beat the other team back down the court is to setup in a zone and let the shot clock be your friend. Pressure might also be an option,
Please edit long quotes to only show what puts your new message into context.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#9 » by Pacersike » Wed Aug 3, 2016 5:47 pm

PG is pretty much the second best player in the East after Lebron and we have added some players who can help him offensively, so it is hard to argue with that.

I do think CJ Miles will be huge for us next year. Our offense overall looks improved, our point guards are better at creating good looks and we have added 2 decent to good inside scoring bigs. All three of those factors should help CJ Miles go off on a more consistent base.
PaulGeorgeHill
Freshman

Re: RE: Re: Reggie believes Indy will contend with Cavs 

Post#10 » by PaulGeorgeHill » Wed Aug 3, 2016 7:15 pm

Wizop wrote:
PaulGeorgeHill wrote:Imo he is absolutely right, but I also think it will take either a trade by bird for a 3&d guard or McMillan to have the balls to bench Monta in favor of CJ Miles.

Not sure how that helps with Brooks and Young being the backup point guards. All of our ones are short so whatever unit Monta plays on his back court mate is going to be his size or shorter. Bird and McMillan have to be okay with that ... unless they are just waiting for the right Monta deal to come along so they can ship him out and play CJ and GRob at the two. My reading is that the plan is to play fast and force the opponents to match up.

I think the defensive concerns are overstated as you can accomplish a lot with scheme. One option if your lineup is fast enough to beat the other team back down the court is to setup in a zone and let the shot clock be your friend. Pressure might also be an option,

My concern was more about shooting than it was about size. As you stated, no matter what lineup Monta plays in its going to be a short back court duo. Putting Cj in the starting lineup puts a shooter in the starting lineup and then we have Brooks Niang, and Little Dog for the second unit

SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#11 » by SmashMouthRod » Wed Aug 3, 2016 10:36 pm

The talent is there. The roster has guys all over the roster who can hurt you offensively on any given night all the way down to Aaron Brooks. However, The thing Indy has hung its hat on is being able to defend or matchup with any team is the biggest concern at this point. Going from defenders all over the roster to one rim protector and the flexibility of perimeter defense from Paul is a drastic change. I share the opinion of many, in terms of wanting to exchange Ellis for a more traditional sized two guard that can defend and make the three. A 3&D two guard will make the offense a lot more fluid maximizing PG and Teague's touches as the primary guys setting up or creating offense. Additionally, the emergence of Turner could be affected by Ellis looking for his shot too often. I expect Paul George to take the most shots, but after him Turner should be fed.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#12 » by NuggetsWY » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:52 pm

I'll admit, I spend very little team looking at other teams' boards. However, this year's Pacers intrigue me and I came over to see what the Pacers' fans think. I indeed believe the Pacers have to be taken as serious contenders. I'd say their biggest competition comes from Cleveland, Toronto, and Boston --- I also believe they now matchup fairly well with those teams. It would be hard to believe that a healthy Pacers team doesn't finish in the top four and I would be surprised if they don't finish ahead of Boston.

The regular season may leave the Pacers in second or third place and if they face the Raptors in the playoffs, I'd guess the Pacers would win a tough series. So the real question becomes, how do the Pacers fair against Cleveland. The NBA season is long and injuries change everything. Assuming no key injuries, I'd still have to pick the Cavs over the Pacers but I think it would be a tough series. As suggested above, it might just take one more trade to give the Pacers what they need to beat the Cavs. And I am not so certain of what that trade might be, but it sure looks like The Legend knows what he is doing.

Return to Indiana Pacers