Pacers Trade Miles to Raptors for Cory Joseph -Woj 

Post#1 » by Jake0890 » Sun Jul 9, 2017 5:43 pm

Read on Twitter
OnFire
Junior
And1: 27

Re: Pacers Trade Miles to Raptors for Cory Joseph -Woj 

Post#2 » by OnFire » Sun Jul 9, 2017 5:49 pm

Does Joseph space the floor well enough by any chance? Not too familiar. Would've been nice to bring back Miles for shooting and wing depth.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#3 » by Jake0890 » Sun Jul 9, 2017 6:02 pm

Apparently Miles signed a 3 year deal for 25 million with a player option. Thought he'd get more.

Good deal for both sides.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#4 » by Jake0890 » Sun Jul 9, 2017 6:04 pm

Read on Twitter
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 404

Post#5 » by Grang33r » Sun Jul 9, 2017 6:07 pm

Miles was out, so to turn him into someone younger like Joseph is nice. Not sure who starts opening night but I could see Joseph starting the most games at PG this season.

Very good defender who doesn't turn the ball over much. Props to Pritchard on this.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
tocooks101
Senior
And1: 429

Post#6 » by tocooks101 » Sun Jul 9, 2017 6:13 pm

I live in Toronto so seen Cory play a lot, high character kid plays the game the right way. Very good defender, lacks outside shooting at times, scores in bursts but always competes. Seems like all the characteristics KP talked about during the PG trade press conference.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers

Post#7 » by Jake0890 » Sun Jul 9, 2017 6:13 pm

Still think Collison starts.
Double Helix
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 28,754

Post#8 » by Double Helix » Sun Jul 9, 2017 6:26 pm

For those wondering about Cory Joseph's Real +/- defensive numbers being so low despite his rep as taking on opposing teams tough cover guards I encourage you to read this.

https://www.google.ca/amp/fansided.com/2016/02/19/freelance-friday-deconstructing-rpm-the-mighty-prior/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
WeTheNorth123
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,363

Post#9 » by WeTheNorth123 » Sun Jul 9, 2017 6:27 pm

As a raptor fan i really like Cory.....he has a bit Tony Parker in his game....he could be a solid starter in this league

Can someone here tell me about CJ miles game (the pros and cons)?
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,833

Post#10 » by Duffman100 » Sun Jul 9, 2017 6:28 pm

OnFire wrote:Does Joseph space the floor well enough by any chance? Not too familiar. Would've been nice to bring back Miles for shooting and wing depth.

His corner 3 isn't bad, the rest isn't great.

He's a good backup point guard. I found him to be overrated defensively but he did an ok job on Kyrie in the playoffs.

Quick, get's to the rim, good finisher. Pretty decent in the PNR. Will have the occasional big game.

Not a great shooter beyond 18 feet, slowing down defensively and tends to over dribble.
SHFT
Head Coach
And1: 4,956

Post#11 » by SHFT » Sun Jul 9, 2017 6:31 pm

Good trade guys.

Joseph will leave everything on the floor every single night and is a good locker room guy to have.

Not the most consistent shooter but great defender and rarely turns the ball over and almost never turns it over foolishly.

He holds on to the ball a little bit but that is also probably the system we have in place.

He will be missed in Toronto but if the man can get a consistent 3 pointer going (it seemed to improve over time with us) he becomes much better.

I dont think he starts but he is one of the best backups in the league.

Sent from my LG-H915 using RealGM mobile app
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#12 » by SmashMouthRod » Sun Jul 9, 2017 6:36 pm

I'm shocked this move was still made. I guess that means Lance will play more 2 and 3. Cojo is wildly inconsistent. I like Collison better. I was hoping to play non traditional point guard with Lance to potentially create a mismatch on most nights except for when we play Westbrook. I guess they are just going to get a look at guys they may have liked in the past.
winter_mute_13
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,482

Post#13 » by winter_mute_13 » Sun Jul 9, 2017 6:52 pm

WeTheNorth123 wrote:As a raptor fan i really like Cory.....he has a bit Tony Parker in his game....he could be a solid starter in this league

CJ is very talented but very inconsistent. When he's on fire, you'd wonder why he's a career journeyman. Then he'd proceed to go 0-10 in the next game. That's basically CJ in a nutshell.

Very good shooter of course, but occasionally he'd surprise you with his hops. Defensively, he's not always the most motivated, and I think he defends bigger guys a little better than quicker guys, if that makes sense.

Can't say I'll miss him that much. He's a useful player for sure, though. Enjoy the CJ Miles experience!

P.S. Tip for Raptor fans, when googling CJ Miles, be sure to specify "CJ Miles NBA" or "CJ Miles basketball" :D
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,934

Post#14 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Jul 9, 2017 7:29 pm

WeTheNorth123 wrote:As a raptor fan i really like Cory.....he has a bit Tony Parker in his game....he could be a solid starter in this league

That's what I thought about Cory myself that he reminds me of a young Parker.

CJ can shoot the lights out or he can lay bricks all night. He's the ultimate streak shooter, when he's on, OH boy is he on he'll make 30 footers look like free throws.

He can play 2, 3 or 4 if you're going small, not a great defender but he's ok, You'll like him better than Carroll.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,063

Post#15 » by Scoot McGroot » Sun Jul 9, 2017 7:52 pm

Gosh, I feel like we got CoJo for free, and I'm ecstatic with that. He provides a change of pace at PG from either Collison or Lance, and will push Joe Young to compete for a roster spot, let alone minutes. I'm happy. Good contract. Young guy. Good character. What's not to like? He's no future superstar, but certainly seems like a keeper.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#16 » by boomershadow » Sun Jul 9, 2017 8:31 pm

WeTheNorth123 wrote:Can someone here tell me about CJ miles game (the pros and cons)?

He is also a good teammate. Positive energy. No drama. Does what is asked of him. When Paul George refused to guard power forwards, Miles took that responsibility without complainin and did about as well as anybody in a shooting guard's body would do.

Paul George also publicly called him out for taking a buzzer beater shot in the playoffs, and he deflected that criticism without letting it turn into a back and forth in the media kind of thing.
glasket
Rookie
And1: 11

Post#17 » by glasket » Sun Jul 9, 2017 9:38 pm

I really like this. Essentially getting Cory for free as Miles was walking anyway.
Miles turned into one of my favourite players over the last few years. Streaky shooter but was fun to watch when he would celebrate either on the court of from the bench.
This is a win win for both teams.

I'm excited to watch Cory and Darren battle it out and push each other for the starting PG minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Grang33r
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 404

Post#18 » by Grang33r » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:22 am

SmashMouthRod wrote:I'm shocked this move was still made. I guess that means Lance will play more 2 and 3. Cojo is wildly inconsistent. I like Collison better. I was hoping to play non traditional point guard with Lance to potentially create a mismatch on most nights except for when we play Westbrook. I guess they are just going to get a look at guys they may have liked in the past.

Yeah, and Nate Taylor echoed that as well today.
The first rule of Basketball: Believe.
Follow on twitter @Grang33r
Assistant Coach
And1: 602

Post#19 » by 8305 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:39 am

Grang33r wrote:
SmashMouthRod wrote:I'm shocked this move was still made. I guess that means Lance will play more 2 and 3. Cojo is wildly inconsistent. I like Collison better. I was hoping to play non traditional point guard with Lance to potentially create a mismatch on most nights except for when we play Westbrook. I guess they are just going to get a look at guys they may have liked in the past.

Yeah, and Nate Taylor echoed that as well today.

Pacers arein young asset accumulation mode and Joseph is still young. Not out of the question for him to win the starters job at pg. my recall is that Collison is an average defender on his best day so Corey will be a nice alternative. Hey, we essentially got this guy for free and he can play. You have to do that no matter how it fits the grand plan.

Don't know that this precludes Lance from being a third guard type. If Lance comes in and kills it it won't be the end of the world if either Collison or Joseph gets minimal minutes. This could also mean Lance will get most of his minutes as a wing. The only other known quantity there is Oladipo. Lots of options and there will be some competition amongst guys playing for contracts. Often the makeup of an over achieving team. Good news - bad news.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,713

Post#20 » by Pacers_Freak » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:07 pm

I like this deal. Like other have said we get Cojo basically for free. CJ was gone anyways. I have always liked Cojo's game. He is young and on a pretty good deal. Nice asset to pick up for nothing.

Return to Indiana Pacers