The Official 2012 New York Jets Offseason Thread

Moderator: Rich Rane

Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,590

Re: The Official 2012 New York Jets Offseason Thread 

Post#16 » by Stannis » Wed Feb 8, 2012 1:04 am

Rich Rane wrote:
Shpati21 wrote:Osi is a free agent, I do not think the Giants are going to resign him to his commands with JPP and Justin Tuck. Jets should definitely make a push for him though.

I hope the Giants keep him though. Put Justin Tuck at a DT or something. :-?

I'm not so sure Umenyiora can play the 3-4 DE or OLB.

Better than what you have. :-?
Free Palestine
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,572

Post#17 » by Rich Rane » Wed Feb 8, 2012 1:47 am

A what could very well be a minimal production upgrade here probably wouldn't equal the type of contract Osi would command.
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#18 » by DowNY » Wed Feb 8, 2012 4:36 am

Like I said, we need to target Mario Williams at all cost. I know we can make cap room for him, a safety like Tyvon Branch or Reggie Nelson, & a decent RT in Free Agency. Then fill the rest cap space with draftees.

Really like Michael Floyd potentially next to Santonio & throwing up his Flight boy TD celebration.

Also like Vondaze Burfict. May have to trade up in the 2 or late first for him.

Also get a few compensation picks, so it'll make up for a trade up in the draft.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#19 » by Stannis » Thu Feb 9, 2012 5:54 am

They definitely need to give Sanchez a legit receiving core before judging him.
Free Palestine
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#20 » by Rich Rane » Thu Feb 9, 2012 7:02 am

Shpati21 wrote:They definitely need to give Sanchez a legit receiving core before judging him.

It's not the receivers (though not all of their fault). It was the damn O-line. Hunter belonged on a practice squad this season. Ferguson didn't do well this year either and Slauson had some horrendous games of his own.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#21 » by Stannis » Thu Feb 9, 2012 7:16 am

Rich Rane wrote:
Shpati21 wrote:They definitely need to give Sanchez a legit receiving core before judging him.

It's not the receivers (though not all of their fault). It was the damn O-line. Hunter belonged on a practice squad this season. Ferguson didn't do well this year either and Slauson had some horrendous games of his own.

Yea, but his receivers are kind of mediocre with the exception of S. Holmes. Keller is awesome too. To have Burress as your second receiver... Not really that great. I am a fan of him, but he is definitely not what he used to be.

I am sure his O-Line sucks too, because the Jets running game was not that great.

What in the world happened their O-Line? They used to have one of the best and the best running game... Not sure how that fails in must one season.
Free Palestine
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#22 » by Rich Rane » Thu Feb 9, 2012 9:12 pm

Shpati21 wrote:Yea, but his receivers are kind of mediocre with the exception of S. Holmes. Keller is awesome too. To have Burress as your second receiver... Not really that great. I am a fan of him, but he is definitely not what he used to be.

I agree that he's not what he used to be, but he's had some great games for us this year. He ran his routes well and had Sanchez had enough time to throw, he would've definitely gotten more catches.

I am sure his O-Line sucks too, because the Jets running game was not that great.

What in the world happened their O-Line? They used to have one of the best and the best running game... Not sure how that fails in must one season.

It all started with letting Alan Faneca go two years ago and thinking Slauson and Ducasse would fill his role. That was an incredibly dumb decision. Wayne Hunter had a solid playoff run last season so the Jets decided to let Damien Woody and not convince him to get out of retirement. That was another incredibly dumb decision. I have no idea what's responsible for Ferguson's dropoff and Mangold has missed a few games this season as well. Run blocking has lost all creativity and you could ask Sanchez about the pass blocking.

Now, I'm not saying Sanchez didn't have faults this season. I'm just willing to give him another chance pending we upgrade the line. However, if the team can afford Manning and he's 100%, OF COURSE we should go that route.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#23 » by Stannis » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:12 pm

I still do not think he can be the 2nd receiver and say Sanchez has a legit receiving core. They have to bring in another threat.
Free Palestine
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#24 » by Rich Rane » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:04 pm

Shpati21 wrote:I still do not think he can be the 2nd receiver and say Sanchez has a legit receiving core. They have to bring in another threat.

If they decide to bring in someone better, I'll be fine with that. If they decide to keep Burress for another year, I'll also be fine with that. The Jets have much bigger needs.

Considering there's no one signed to either safety spot, that's the biggest need. Then I would go with offensive line help, another pass rusher, someone to replace LT (since I don't trust Greene, McKnight, and Powell as a decent running committee), a kicker, a legit returner (unless Joe McKnight finally turns into one), and finally address the receiving core.

Then again, they could put all their eggs into the Peyton Manning basket and fill in the empty roster spots with scrubs and I might not mind. :lol:
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,434

Post#25 » by j4remi » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:45 pm

Yeah, they definitely have other needs that go well beyond WR. My order of need...

1. O-Line
2. Safety
3. LB Pass Rusher
4. Kicker
5. WR
6. Versatile RB (I'm willing to give Greene another year and while I'm not enthusiastic about Mcknight and Powell, I'd willingly give them a shot so that we can address other needs).

I don't think return man is a legit need. I'd give up on the season if they decided Peyton was the answer...he's great but he's off of injury and they have SO MANY HOLES. This defense needs a safety for coverage and a pass rusher terribly. The O-Line needs to be sured up in a SERIOUS WAY.

On a side note...I think it's very important that we address another role that doesn't really fit that list. LEADERSHIP...we need leaders in the lock room. It's clear that we lost a lot more than was expected with the vets we let walk and it was the character they had that helped chemistry so much.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#26 » by Rich Rane » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:29 am

j4remi wrote:Yeah, they definitely have other needs that go well beyond WR. My order of need...

1. O-Line
2. Safety
3. LB Pass Rusher
4. Kicker
5. WR
6. Versatile RB (I'm willing to give Greene another year and while I'm not enthusiastic about Mcknight and Powell, I'd willingly give them a shot so that we can address other needs).

Greene pisses me off. All that speed and he shuffles his feet on nearly every run. O-line has something to do with him sucking, but he's pissed me off since that playoff run where the Jets lost to the Colts in the AFC Championship game.

I don't think return man is a legit need.

All those drops and dumb decisions by McKnight and Cromartie? I'd think about it unless McKnight really becomes that legit return man.

I'd give up on the season if they decided Peyton was the answer...he's great but he's off of injury and they have SO MANY HOLES. This defense needs a safety for coverage and a pass rusher terribly. The O-Line needs to be sured up in a SERIOUS WAY.

On a side note...I think it's very important that we address another role that doesn't really fit that list. LEADERSHIP...we need leaders in the lock room. It's clear that we lost a lot more than was expected with the vets we let walk and it was the character they had that helped chemistry so much.

My whole logic on picking Peyton up is if he returned at 100% with all the motivation of coming back. Peyton with the Colts might have contended for a playoff spot. Peyton with this team could be a deep playoff team.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#27 » by j4remi » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:26 pm

I think in terms of return man, they need to pick a guy and STICK WITH HIM. More than anything else, they need to get Mcknight accustomed and prepared to be the permanent return man. That will help the drops and giveaways moreso than bringing in yet another new player.

As far as Peyton making this team a playoff team. It'd be a band-aid rather than a long term solution. I'd rather see this team put together for the long term because I don't think Peyton off of neck surgery with low mobility will be able to hold up for much longer.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#28 » by Rich Rane » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:19 pm

j4remi wrote:I think in terms of return man, they need to pick a guy and STICK WITH HIM. More than anything else, they need to get Mcknight accustomed and prepared to be the permanent return man. That will help the drops and giveaways moreso than bringing in yet another new player.

We had Leonhard return punts and kicks and I'd rather not use a starter doing that since they risk injury. Cromartie (also a starter) tried and has had a lot of dumb decisions (running from deep in the endzone) and McKnight had a lot of drops. I'm fine with McKnight being the guy if he learns how to be, but so far I'm not confident. I guess it has a lot to do with being spoiled with solid returns in Justin Miller, Leon Washington, and even Brad Smith.

As far as Peyton making this team a playoff team. It'd be a band-aid rather than a long term solution. I'd rather see this team put together for the long term because I don't think Peyton off of neck surgery with low mobility will be able to hold up for much longer.

Again, my whole premise on picking Peyton up if he was 100%. If he's going to be bothered by his neck, then of course, I'll pass. But picking a 100% Peyton up improves that position tenfold and fills in the leadership role both on the field and in the locker room.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#29 » by j4remi » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:28 pm

After Quinn's comments on Tebow, I could see him on the block...and I think he'd be a solid pick up for a back up QB. Just a thought.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#30 » by j4remi » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:40 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... -1.1027362

The cap value of the converted signing bonus will be spread over the remaining six years of Ferguson’s contract. So, the Jets will get an additional $7.5 million of cap relief this season. Gang Green had very little cap flexibility before the move.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z1nDDChKq3

That's pretty nice for us, they were just 500,000 below the cap before that move. Now they have room for some moves and to sign draft picks.

Edit: So Richardson won't be at the combine...if he slips to us...I realize it's not a HUGE need and I'd be willing to give Greene one last chance because we have a lot of needs...but that would be a steal imho.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#31 » by Rich Rane » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:30 pm

We needs more room to make a splash in free agency. I'd look at the linebackers (again) and Sanchez (again). I'd say cut Wayne Hunter altogether, but it doesn't save much. Hopefully, they restructure his as well.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#32 » by Stannis » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:52 am

Looks like Manningham him is going to leave the Giants. I hope he goes to the Jets. :D
Free Palestine
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#33 » by j4remi » Thu Mar 1, 2012 4:45 pm

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... ntpostform

Although one Jets' source considered Johnson a luxury more than a necessity, the nine-year veteran's familiarity with Ryan's defensive schemes could lead to a reunion. Johnson's versatility and durability – he's played in a Ravens' franchise-record 129 consecutive regular-season games and started 89 in a row – make him an appealing option for Gang Green. Johnson, who will turn 31 in August, is two years younger than Thomas.

"I'll tell you a guy that's underrated is Jarret Johnson," Ryan said in September. "I mean he's had that label forever. We used to laugh about it. He's always a ‘hard-working, blue-collar guy.' Well, that's what he is. He's tougher than heck, and he's a lot more talented than people give him credit for."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/footb ... z1nstpGUpb
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#34 » by zilby » Thu Mar 1, 2012 4:48 pm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... line_stack

As one wide receiver eyes his exit from the New York Jets, another reportedly could be on his way back to the Big Apple.

Assuming he's healthy, the Jets are interested in bringing back wide receiver Braylon Edwards at the right price, a source told The New York Daily News on Wednesday. Edwards was a central part of the Jets' aerial attack during the 2009 and 2010 seasons, when they made back-to-back AFC Championship Game appearances.

Edwards, who signed a one-year deal with the San Francisco 49ers in 2011 and was released before the start of the playoffs, caught 11 touchdown passes in 28 games with the Jets. The source told the Daily News it's not clear at this point if Edwards is interested in a reunion with Rex Ryan & Co.

The Jets could face a hole at receiver, as Plaxico Burress already appears to have one foot out the door. Burress, who's set to become a free agent in March, told a Philadelphia radio station on Tuesday that he would love to sign with the Philadelphia Eagles and team up with Michael Vick.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#35 » by DowNY » Fri Mar 2, 2012 5:16 am

I'll stab myself in the eye if we sign Braylon. I'm tired of us using band-aid type players. Just draft a got damn reciever already!!
Michael Floyd in the 1st rd
or Stephen Hill in the 2nd,
or even Tommy Streeter in the 3rd or 4th.
Put all our FA budget toward safeties, oline, & if there's enough restructures then go get Cliff Avril, Mario Williams, or Curtis Lofton.
Ton of O-Line players are getting cut from teams & same goes for Inside linebackers like Wimbley of the Raiders.

Return to New York Jets