ImageImageImageImageImage

The 2014 Official Jets NFL Draft Thread

Moderator: Rich Rane

Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Re: The 2014 Official Jets NFL Draft Thread 

Post#21 » by Grover » Fri May 2, 2014 3:23 pm

Rounds one and two appear to be reaches. Beckam, Cooks and Lee before Benjamin and Jenkins, Amaro and Niklas before Fiedorowicz though a few may be gone by the time the Jets pick. With Geno and Vick I really like Niklas as the extra lineman for a still running centric offense. I'm also not a fan of placing positions on rounds. You set your board, let the draft come to your team and trade up or down with a eye on specific need based on rating. As a deep draft I still prefer trading down, perhaps multiple times or even out of the first round for multiple picks in the second through fifth rounds. With so many picks it will be interesting to see who Idzik goes after. Hill might stick for another year if his knee is sound. He can block a little and he could be red zone only option as the last receiver if he can hold on to the ball. He and the rest of the bums you mentioned were before Idzik but it is amazing how often they missed the mark on early picks. I'm still liking the differential between Martin and Moses at tackle more than that of the cornerbacks and wide receivers who are markedly short where the Jets pick. At least extract a late pick from the Fins and swap eighteen for nineteen. Parcells would.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,752

Post#22 » by Rich Rane » Fri May 9, 2014 2:00 am

Clinton-Dix, Dennard, and Pryor on the board and Jets are up...

Jets take Calvin Pryor. I knew Ryan would take defense 1st round again. All the more reason to get a bit more annoyed by not pursuing DeSean Jackson.

Pryor should definitely be starting Week 1 paired with Antonio Allen. Hard hitter, but can become to reckless at times. I've heard he compares to Antrel Rolle. I just hope he isn't as frustrating as someone like how Eric Smith was for us. The fact that he can actually tackle is more than welcoming right now.
Shemy
Head Coach
And1: 460

Post#23 » by Shemy » Fri May 9, 2014 4:01 am

Allen-Pryor is dope

No fvkn clue what they are gonna do with the CB situation, I'm not that worried abou the WR situation with the decker signing
"They scared now"
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#24 » by Rich Rane » Sat May 10, 2014 12:30 am

Jets pickup Jace Amaro. You're not gonna hear any argument from me there.
Grover
Rookie

Post#25 » by Grover » Sat May 10, 2014 12:43 am

Still like the depth of receivers and corners for future picks.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#26 » by Rich Rane » Sat May 10, 2014 12:52 am

Grover wrote:Still like the depth of receivers and corners for future picks.

10 more picks too.

Round 1, Pick 18 - Calvin Pryor
Round 2, Pick 17 - Jace Amaro
Round 3, Pick 16 - Dexter McDougle
Round 4, Pick 4 (104th Overall)
Round 4, Pick 15 (115th Overall)
Round 4, Pick 37 (137th Overall)
Round 5, Pick 14 (154th Overall)
Round 6, Pick 19 (195th Overall)
Round 6, Pick 33 (209th Overall)
Round 6, Pick 34 (210th Overall)
Round 6, Pick 37 (213th Overall)
Round 7, Pick 18 (233rd Overall)
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#27 » by Rich Rane » Sat May 10, 2014 2:45 am

I thought the McDougle pick was a huge reach. I felt there were better corners still on the board.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,481

Post#28 » by j4remi » Sat May 10, 2014 2:18 pm

Rich Rane wrote:I thought the McDougle pick was a huge reach. I felt there were better corners still on the board.

I thought Gaines would be the guy there for sure. I like him as a fit over McDougle and that's not to mention we probably coulda landed McDougle with one of our later picks. That's the only truly disappointing pick so far though.

Pryor and Allen could be a great combo for a long time, but Allen has to continue to grow. Landry, Allen, Pryor is a nice trio too where depth is concerned.

Amaro was a guy I hoped would reach us in the second and it worked out perfectly. I think Amaro/Cumberland could be a nightmare combo especially for Marty to play with.

Moving forward it's possible that we get Tiny in the FOURTH ROUND...that'd be a steal and even though it's not a major need, O-Line depth is a problem. I'd also be happy with Yankey on that first pick because Guard is the real issue and at worst he'd be a better development piece than the two guys we haven't used at all from last draft.

There's a bit of ILB talent hanging around too and we could use depth there.

If we go WR in the fourth we'll get value but I wouldn't mind a flier on Carey to develop for a year since I don't trust Ivory/Johnson to stay healthy for two more seasons (though we do have Powell).

I said on the Knicks board, I think we'll be the ones taking a shot at Sam. His production and Rex's mind could combine to make him a solid value pick in the later rounds. Either way, we need an edge rusher and should at least come away with a developmental piece to take over when Pace goes.

Finally, I'm not sure how much longer the Jets wait to take a developmental QB. There's real value right now if you're looking QB and even though it's not a drastic need, I think a lot of people figure they might grab one. With that in mind, you really never know how they'll handle it.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
BRIGGS
Analyst
And1: 128

Post#29 » by BRIGGS » Sat May 10, 2014 6:21 pm

Good draft so far--everyone says that right:)

We took essentially 3 WR with different skill sets. Huge target quick slot receiver/return man and possession receiver. Add in a tough safety a big athletic lineman and a quick playmaking CB--so far in terms of need positions--weve done well. Everything else is proven on the field
Vanilla Ice is the best rap artist of all time
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#30 » by Rich Rane » Sun May 11, 2014 3:06 pm

Jets draft results

Round 1, Pick 18 - Calvin Pryor, S
Round 2, Pick 17 - Jace Amaro, TE
Round 3, Pick 16 - Dexter McDougle, CB
Round 4, Pick 4 - Jalen Saunders, WR
Round 4, Pick 15 - Shaq Evans, WR
Round 4, Pick 37 - Dakota Dozier, OT
Round 5, Pick 14 - Jeremiah George, ILB
Round 6, Pick 19 - Brandon Dixon, CB
Round 6, Pick 33 - Quincy Enunwa, WR
Round 6, Pick 34 - IK Enemkpali, DE
Round 6, Pick 37 - Tajh Boyd, QB
Round 7, Pick 18 - Trevor Reilly, OLB
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#31 » by zilby » Sun May 11, 2014 5:42 pm

Very good draft by Idzik IMO. Filled several different needs. Potentially dominant secondary and filled the receiving corps. Amaro is going to be a good TE, him and Cumberland will be tough for teams to handle. Of course, this all banks on the improvements of everybody, Decker living up to expectations but considering the season Geno just went through and we still finished 8-8, I'm feeling very optimistic heading into the season. He's learning from one of the better QB's of the past (albeit cut short by stupid mistakes) in Vick, I expect some improvement and not-so-erratic decisions this year.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#32 » by j4remi » Mon May 12, 2014 12:49 pm

That run of Shaq, Dozier and George was really nice...three straight strong picks imo that addressed needs. I don't love Saunders as a prospect and everyone in round 6 seemed like "meh" prospects but I guess in the 6th that's what you get. Reilly in the 7th was a great value though.

Strong draft overall but not as good as I think it coulda been. We strengthened the secondary moreso through depth and Safety then getting a valid number 2 for this year. We got some WR's that could be something but really Shaq is the only prospect I truly expect much out of, it's not as egregious though because we got Jace Amaro who should open things for that offense regardless. Two solid LB choices imo were really nice values to get at a spot on the field where the need wasn't dire but depth was absolutely something to look for. Dozier is gonna overtake Winters at some point imo, so that was a really nice pick. I think we whiffed on the developmental QB choice but a 6th round flier isn't gonna net you the greatest prospect most times, so I guess I can put up with it.
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Grover
Rookie

Post#33 » by Grover » Tue May 13, 2014 12:49 pm

The undrafted free agent pool is unbelievably long. Get to work Idzik.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#34 » by j4remi » Wed May 14, 2014 5:18 pm

If the Jets somehow traded for Andre Johnson, I'd change the draft grade from a B (maybe B-) to an A.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... 13169.html
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Grover
Rookie

Post#35 » by Grover » Wed May 21, 2014 1:59 pm

Would have preferred Dennard or Cooks with the first pick, Amaro might take some time but strong value pick. The third pick of McDougle was a multi-round reach. Nix would have been tremendous value and potentially given the rest of the front seven more freedom. In the fourth I thought Ellington, Logan and Cyril Richardson. Logan Thomas is a developmental quarterback with far greater physical tools than any other QB in the draft. Take McDougle in the fifth though it may have still been early. Enunwa was solid but I would have liked to have seen some serious risk taking in the sixth and seventh rounds along the lines of Colt Lyerla, Christian Jones, Skov and even Coleman from Rutgers. Ahmad Dixon was available in the seventh and he could easily play special teams and play in some packages

Return to New York Jets