2014 Week 1: Oakland Raiders vs New York Jets 1:00 PM

Moderator: Rich Rane

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,797

2014 Week 1: Oakland Raiders vs New York Jets 1:00 PM 

Post#1 » by Rich Rane » Mon Sep 1, 2014 3:30 pm

Milliner isn't likely to play Week 1. Let's hope Idzik can spring a trade for Johnathan Joseph or else we'll be seeing Darrin Walls and Antonio Allen on the corners.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,496

Re: 2014 Week 1: Oakland Raiders vs New York Jets 1:00 PM 

Post#2 » by j4remi » Thu Sep 4, 2014 3:00 pm

Luckily for us, Rex tends to annihilate rookie QB's. So hopefully he can control the game from the Line and Idzik can address our CB issue within the next couple of weeks because murderer's row is coming.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#3 » by zilby » Thu Sep 4, 2014 5:09 pm

Well, who are the legitimate cornerback options on the market right now? We just need something, anything at all. Running Antonio Allen on the corner is questionable, but we need a true #1. It's going to hold us back from being a great defense. Is Flowers still a free agent?

Meanwhile, I'm increasingly angry Revis is on the Pats. Just straight up **** them. I'm looking forward to this game in all honesty. Need my football back, hoping this is the year the Jets can make a stride for relevancy again.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#4 » by Rich Rane » Fri Sep 5, 2014 3:07 pm

zilby wrote:Well, who are the legitimate cornerback options on the market right now? We just need something, anything at all. Running Antonio Allen on the corner is questionable, but we need a true #1. It's going to hold us back from being a great defense. Is Flowers still a free agent?

There aren't any left. Terrell Thomas and Champ Bailey are the last big names, but both are depth signings at this point.
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#5 » by Greenie » Sun Sep 7, 2014 5:47 pm

Gino is killing us
Greenie
RealGM
And1: 30,697

Post#6 » by Greenie » Sun Sep 7, 2014 5:48 pm

...and I don't carr that I spelt his name wrong.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#7 » by Rich Rane » Sun Sep 7, 2014 5:53 pm

These penalties are driving me nuts.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#8 » by Rich Rane » Sun Sep 7, 2014 6:00 pm

I want them to stop being so safe on 3rd and long, but without a legit Number 2, defenses would be all over Decker and whomever is at tight end.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#9 » by Rich Rane » Sun Sep 7, 2014 6:41 pm

Coples with great penetration on the line and forces the fumble on Jones-Drew, who kicks the ball back while he's parallel to the ground into the hands of Carr. :lol: :sigh:

PENALTIES...ugh. This would hurt so much more if it wasn't against Oakland.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,496

Post#10 » by j4remi » Sun Sep 7, 2014 8:08 pm

The Good:
The Defense looks great, but we'll have to see what happens when a real QB comes to town. Pryor made a couple of nice plays when he had the chance. The CB's didn't do anything to make me hate Idzik more (the Jones TD was just beautiful, can't hate Walls too much on that). The D-Line took a while to warm up but they really got after the QB and controlled the line against the run (lemme add that it was a lot of screen passing that helped quell the rush early as well).

Gotta say, Geno made some foolish mistakes but really showed improvements in some areas. He surveyed the field well, stayed patient most of the game and picked his spots wisely for the most part on runs. His footwork and accuracy both seemed much improved which is nice to see for 4 quarters. Decker for at least this week sent a big stfu to Schlereth. The three headed RB monster we've got looks scary. Both Ivory and CJ looked like they could handle a big work load and Powell in short work did alright. It seemed like only a matter of time before one of the big two broke a major run with how tired the D looked along with how great our O-line was controlling the point of attack.

Special teams gets a quiet shout out. No major mistakes, a couple of nice kicks for Folk, a couple of nice punts and Hakim started the game on a beauty of a run.

The Bad:
The CB's also did nothing to make me comfortable with their work moving forward. I hope Milliner is good to go next week and pray he's in good enough shape to make things happen.

The end zone drop by Salas was pretty bad and I think it was Amaro that had another pretty lame one. Once the game is in hand, no big deal but in a tight one those sorts of plays stand out.

Geno dropping back and taking a sack that knocks the Jets out of FG territory is just horrible. He took a lot of hits at times when he could have been more conservative.

The Ugly:
Geno had two turnovers. I'll give leeway on the Woodson INT, because it was a beautiful grab but the fumble was absolutely terrible. Not how I wanted to see him start the season there.

Penalties...another year and another slew of ugly mistakes that could have been costly. The O-line dominated the line of scrimmage for the most part, but they also picked up enough flags to make me angry.

Still no second WR really...This falls to ugly because I think Idzik should have worked harder to address it. Decker did big things, the rest was a committee approach that worked but what happens when a team focuses on shutting him down or worse, God forbid he's on Revis island and the rest of the D is free to key elsewhere. Cumberland showed a few things at least, but no one made me comfortable with our situation there.

Wasting the red zone...Penalties when we were near the end zone, TO inside the 10 yard line, and just not taking advantage of opportunities to put up 7. There shouldn't have been a chance for an Onside kick to get Oakland a chance...but we didn't put up enough points on our chances inside Oakland's half of the field.

The Bonus:
New England loses!

Irrelevant:
My fantasy QB was Aaron Rodgers who gave me 17 points and lost his match-up with my opponent's QB Carr (22 points, my opponent has Cam Newton which is why this happened)...but I had the Texans D and they gave me 26 points today effectively covering for a poor QB performance and then some. Beautiful.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#11 » by zilby » Sun Sep 7, 2014 11:11 pm

Unfortunately couldn't be in for today's game but I was following keenly on my phone. Geno still with the turnovers. My hopes is that it's the first game and he just needs to continue to be comfortable on the field, but you can never be happy with those. Defense looked to clamp down in the 2nd half (though I saw the Jones TD looked like a fluke), so that's definitely a positive sign.

I think the consensus here that most people can agree with is that all the crap pulled today won't fly next week against the Packers. Rex wasn't impressed post-game so he's got seven days to correct that.
Hawaiian pizza is good.

Return to New York Jets