ImageImageImageImageImage

I would pay ANY price for Mariota

Moderator: Rich Rane

BRIGGS
Analyst
And1: 128

I would pay ANY price for Mariota 

Post#1 » by BRIGGS » Wed Dec 3, 2014 3:26 pm

I dont care what the price is. I would willingly pay the highest price in the history of football. I would give a standiing offer of a top 5 pick two additional 1's and Shelden Richardson to anyone who lands pick 1. If I had to go higher I would. There is no price that I would not pay. The QB position by far is the most important position of all in sports. This guy is transformational. Any price should be paid--if that means more than fine.
Vanilla Ice is the best rap artist of all time
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM
And1: 4,627

Re: I would pay ANY price for Mariota 

Post#2 » by Yankeeknickfan » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:44 pm

Knowing the Idzik they will trade up but draft Winston instead
Imageceltics
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,093

Post#3 » by moocow007 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:32 pm

I would offer that (top 5 pick, 2 future 1sts and Shelden Richardson) for someone like Andrew Luck. Marcus Mariotta is not Andrew Luck level.
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#4 » by Grover » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:28 pm

If one of the quarterbacks drops to the Jets they should look at trading down with several teams likely to overpay for the position. The Browns are attractive with 12 & 19 and I like those positions in this first round for a few of the needs. I'll wait for Jeff Risdon's drafting prowess that often goes overlooked. If I were a franchise owner there is no question that he would be on the payroll.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,481

Post#5 » by j4remi » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:21 pm

Grover wrote:If one of the quarterbacks drops to the Jets they should look at trading down with several teams likely to overpay for the position. The Browns are attractive with 12 & 19 and I like those positions in this first round for a few of the needs. I'll wait for Jeff Risdon's drafting prowess that often goes overlooked. If I were a franchise owner there is no question that he would be on the payroll.

I have the exact same sentiments (peep the offseason thread lol).
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM

Post#6 » by Yankeeknickfan » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:01 pm

Grover wrote:If one of the quarterbacks drops to the Jets they should look at trading down with several teams likely to overpay for the position. The Browns are attractive with 12 & 19 and I like those positions in this first round for a few of the needs. I'll wait for Jeff Risdon's drafting prowess that often goes overlooked. If I were a franchise owner there is no question that he would be on the payroll.

Maybe the Eagles wil give us foles.
Imageceltics
Elias20
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#7 » by Elias20 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:50 pm

Yankeeknickfan wrote:

Maybe the Eagles wil give us foles.

I'd take Foles in a heart beat. He will be a great addition for us. As for this thread topic, I admit, I am not a big college football fan but did watch the game between Mariota and Winston and the championship games. I left both games not being Impressed by Mariota. He did show speed but did not show any wiggle. In my opinion, straight line speed is not that great of an asset. You need to show elusiveness or you'll get knocked and hurt e.g. RG3. Mariota's accuracy was good but the style of offense left many open receivers so he didn't really shine when he did make a good throw.
Die hard NY Jets fan? Check out: http://nyjetsfanatics.com/forum.php
Grover
Rookie

Post#8 » by Grover » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:09 pm

Foles and Sanchez won't be quite as lucky outside of the one read offense. He might be a smidge better than the other free agent options but his ceiling is not very high. It comes down to the overpay if Mariota or Winston slip to six which is doubtful. Just don't pay to move up as they can't hold Luck's jock and never will. It's simply a bad year for quarterbacks.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#9 » by Barcs » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:33 pm

The only problem with Mariota is he didn't play in a pro style offense, and will definitely take a year or 2 to get used to it. He's basically a slightly upgraded Geno Smith, very similar stats, low turnovers, but didn't play much under center just like Geno. If the Jets do get Mariota, hopefully it means Geno or somebody else will start during his first year. This way we won't have to throw him to the fire and start him right away as we did with Smith in 2013. Something tells me the Jets are going to go WR or LB, however, but if he falls to #6 it will be hard to resist. I'm not fully sold on him or Winston at this point. Winston could probably start in his first year, but his turnover numbers are less than desirable and the Jets need to close the door on the TO problem that has plagued us since 2009.

I would give a standiing offer of a top 5 pick two additional 1's and Shelden Richardson to anyone who lands pick 1.

That would be the worst trade in NY Jets history, and that says a lot. It's worse than the Redskins RG3 deal and Mariota isn't even guaranteed!
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,337

Post#10 » by NoStatsGuy » Sat Mar 7, 2015 10:31 am

the thing about mariota is this. he may not be the most talented in the pocket with his throws etc. but he seems to be an icredible smart person on and off the court. he seems to always make the right decision and throw the right pass.

this is a huge thing imo. because hes very coachable and i imagine him adepting to any kind of system. and i think u r not alone.. i know some coach in philly who would do anything for his guy.

winston might be a better passer at this stage but mariota is way more nfl rdy. at least thats what it seems to me. if id be a gm theres no chance i pick winston over super mariota
im bout dat action boss
BRIGGS
Analyst

Post#11 » by BRIGGS » Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:58 pm

A few months later it is possible we might be able to just sit at 6 and take him.

Here is the mentality. No matter what---I would always try to get a franchise QB in any situation if we can. I think Mariotta is. We don't need him to play year 1--not necessary. He can develop at his pace.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,789

Post#12 » by Stannis » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:14 pm

BRIGGS wrote:A few months later it is possible we might be able to just sit at 6 and take him.

Here is the mentality. No matter what---I would always try to get a franchise QB in any situation if we can. I think Mariotta is. We don't need him to play year 1--not necessary. He can develop at his pace.

Agreed. I think the mistakes the Jets made with Sanchez and Smith, is that they kind of threw them in too quickly.

The Jets obviously aren't looking to tank with their new off-season additions. No matter how bad Smith or Fitz are, imo, the Jets aren't going to have less than 8 wins for the next couple of seasons, which isn't enough to draft a franchise QB. If Mariotta drops to number 6, you draft him with no questions asked. And then be patient with the rookie QB for a change.
Free Palestine
Yankeeknickfan
RealGM

Post#13 » by Yankeeknickfan » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:11 pm

Travis Knight wrote:
BRIGGS wrote:A few months later it is possible we might be able to just sit at 6 and take him.

Agreed. I think the mistakes the Jets made with Sanchez and Smith, is that they kind of threw them in too quickly.

The Jets obviously aren't looking to tank with their new off-season additions. No matter how bad Smith or Fitz are, imo, the Jets aren't going to have less than 8 wins for the next couple of seasons, which isn't enough to draft a franchise QB. If Mariotta drops to number 6, you draft him with no questions asked. And then be patient with the rookie QB for a change.

Fitzpatrick is a decent qb. Better than hoyer. We could be 8-8 9-7
Imageceltics
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by moocow007 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:35 pm

With all the money the Jets just spent on veteran players that are either at or just about passing their prime I don't see how he has that much time to develop. He'd get about a year, tops. He would have to be able to step in by the start of next season and be the starter IMO. In any case, very interested to see where they go with this 6th pick now that a trade with the Eagles seems less likely, though not impossible. But yeah, based on the majority of mocks I've seen, Mariotta will be there at 6. The only consensus seems to be that Winston will go no.1 overall to Tampa and that Mariotta will be there at 6.

It's unusual to see Mariotta going higher than 6 on anyone's mock since the only team between the Bucs and Jets that have a need for a franchise type QB is Tennessee at 2 and the general feel is that they aren't that enamored with Mariotta's game and will go defense with someone like Leonard Williams. If they don't trade down and go with Mariotta here, I'd like to see them try to move up back into the mid-late 1st and take Todd Gurley the RB. Would give the Jets a potential game breaking type 3 down back that can also catch passes to pair to Mariotta and their upgraded receiving corps.
goldenbrandon
Senior
And1: 106

Post#15 » by goldenbrandon » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:51 pm

BRIGGS wrote:I dont care what the price is. I would willingly pay the highest price in the history of football. I would give a standiing offer of a top 5 pick two additional 1's and Shelden Richardson to anyone who lands pick 1. If I had to go higher I would. There is no price that I would not pay. The QB position by far is the most important position of all in sports. This guy is transformational. Any price should be paid--if that means more than fine.

Why???? :banghead: :banghead: he hasn't played one down and for all we know he's no better than teebow. Sorry but Mariota is not a lock to be a great qb. Me personally I see him being Alex Smith at the very best. I'm not sold. The kid Healy from u c l a is much better pro prospect
BRIGGS
Analyst

Post#16 » by BRIGGS » Fri Apr 3, 2015 12:34 am

April 2 Jets consider move up for quarterback
Miked1958
Bench Warmer
And1: 132

Post#17 » by Miked1958 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:28 am

BRIGGS wrote:April 2 Jets consider move up for quarterback

I am not so sure on Marcus M,being a pro level qb in a normal system. He may be a better fit in Philly where they play an offense like he ran in college
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by moocow007 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:34 am

BRIGGS wrote:April 2 Jets consider move up for quarterback

They better be sure.
Grover
Rookie

Post#19 » by Grover » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:55 pm

Don't take the bait. Though it would extremely unpopular, a prearranged trade with the Eagles to keep them from moving above six that included Bradford, the 20th and another pick could provide a higher ceiling for this coming season than not.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by moocow007 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:42 pm

Grover wrote:Don't take the bait. Though it would extremely unpopular, a prearranged trade with the Eagles to keep them from moving above six that included Bradford, the 20th and another pick could provide a higher ceiling for this coming season than not.

Possibly, but Bradford has had problems with his shoulder on his throwing arm, the knee that he plants when throwing (torn ACL the year before that he damaged again last season), the ankle on the same leg and will turn 28 this season. They better be sure that he's 100% fine if they do this. Bradford is talented but that won't matter if he can't get on the field due to his propensity for injury.

Return to New York Jets