Week 2: Jets @ Colts | Monday, Sep 21st, 8:30 PM | ESPN

Moderator: Rich Rane

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,790

Week 2: Jets @ Colts | Monday, Sep 21st, 8:30 PM | ESPN 

Post#1 » by Rich Rane » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:00 pm

Win and Jets could change a lot of people's perception of this team. Missing a few people though. I don't expect Cro or Mauldin in. Ivory was added to the injury report midweek but is expected to play. On the other side, T.Y. Hilton might be out as he hasn't practiced with the Colts this week. Both he and Mathis are game time decisions.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,492

Re: Week 2: Jets @ Colts | Monday, Sep 21st, 8:30 PM | ESPN 

Post#2 » by j4remi » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:38 pm

Just can't let Luck buy extra time for his WR's to get open and our defense should make this a dog fight. I think Ivory is gonna have to give us another big day but this is very winnable. Decker should have a soft match-up often enough to give us a nice performance too. I like our chances tbh. 2-0 would put us ahead of the Phins who choked against the friggin' Jags and the Bills who look like a tough squad but beatable. There are only 3 undefeated teams in the entire conference after two damned weeks, this is a nice chance to make a statement.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,448

Post#3 » by bwgood77 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:10 pm

I am REALLY tempted to lay cash on the Jets tonight. Having watched Bowles' masterful job as AZ DC for years has me convinced he is just really good. Plus, Buffalo kind of also showed some of what worked (though the Colts will work to fix that, however I think Bowles is smart enough to use different wrinkles).

I was thinking about betting on them before reading this...

For six seasons under Rex Ryan, the New York Jets defense played with swagger, a controlled arrogance that emphasized blitzing and an aggressive style of play. And not much has changed with new boss Todd Bowles now running the show in New York.

During the Jets' Week 1 win over the Cleveland Browns, Bowles' defense blitzed on 48 percent of dropbacks. That's a big number -- a monster number -- but it's also a major part of Bowles' resume. The last two seasons, with Bowles as the defensive coordinator, the Arizona Cardinals blitzed on 47 percent of dropbacks. That was the highest mark in the league over that span by nearly 4 percentage points.

In short, Bowles isn't afraid to bring the heat, and he has the talent -- at all three levels -- to continue driving the same identity Ryan established while in New York. They attack up front, challenge receivers and look to put the quarterback on the ground.

With that in mind, let's talk about the personnel Bowles has to work with, look back at the tape from Week 1 and discuss how the Jets can continue to dictate tempo in anticipation of their Monday Night Football matchup against Andrew Luck and the Indianapolis Colts.

In New York, it starts with the big boys up front. Muhammad Wilkerson is a blue-chip player, no other way to say it. He's a legit beast who can win one-on-one matchups. He'll be getting more of those since the Jets drafted Leonard Williams in the first round. The former USC product has the skill set to be a real contributor as a rookie. Add in mammoth DT Damon Harrison and suspended DE Sheldon Richardson (who will return in Week 5), and this group has the depth, size and quickness to cause consistent disruption up front against both the run and pass game.

At linebacker, the Jets have what I call "moveable parts," players who can rush out of the base 3-4 or align in a variety of positions in Bowles' sub-packages. That leads to multiple looks and scripted matchups in blitz schemes to attack where the defensive is most vulnerable (see diagram below). Quinton Coples, David Harris, Demario Davis, Calvin Pace -- they're all tackling machines inside with the speed outside to rush hard.

The true key to Bowles' scheme lies in the secondary. Play blitz-man and tell those defensive backs to hold on tight. And Bowles can do that with a backend that includes Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie, Marcus Williams, nickelback Buster Skrine and two safeties who play defined roles for the Jets. Marcus Gilchrist has the footwork and range to play in the middle of the field or drop down in coverage. And strong safety Calvin Pryor, a 2014 first rounder, is playing more downhill, adding to blitz fronts and chipping in against the run.

This rare combination of talent allows Bowles to turn up the heat and play his brand of football, keeping quarterbacks off-balance.

The "zero" blitz

One of Bowles' calling cards is Cover 0, or zero-man, when he sends six- or seven-man pressure. That's an all-out blitz with no help over the top. And with Bowles, it can come at any time, in any down and distance situation.

The idea is to send more than they can block and tell the defensive backs to challenge the receivers. That allows the Jets to attack gaps up front and put the game in the hands of the secondary.

When quarterbacks read zero-man versus the Jets, the ball is coming out hot. That leads to wide receivers running short routes -- slant, hitch, fade or quick out. But given the Jets' secondary and the off-man technique they use in these situations (see diagram below), the defensive backs are in the proper position to drive on the ball and make plays.

Courtesy NFL
There is always a risk when sending zero-man: Miss a tackle in the secondary, and the band starts playing. But Bowles runs this defense without fear just like he did in Arizona. Third and long? It doesn't matter. Here comes the pressure. Better tell your quarterback to be ready.

Setting a trap

Like Ryan, Bowles has a diverse blitz package. And while Ryan's scheme can be more exotic at times, Bowles will mix his man-pressures with some zone looks to set a trap for the offense.

Back in Week 1, the Jets showed a 2-Trap coverage (see diagram below) to counter the tight splits from the Browns and the flat-7 (corner) route. Out of their base 3-4, New York rushed five in this situation with both outside linebackers coming off the edge and the two ILBs dropping in coverage. Doing this gives the Jets two defenders inside the numbers to play a possible middle-of-the-field throw.

In this scenario, it's secondary doing the trapping. The idea is to show the quarterback Cover 2 (two-deep) as the cornerbacks sink hard at the snap to protect the safeties. But it's all a disguise: The cornerbacks are coached to jump any outside-breaking route, while letting the safety pick up the vertical (corner route). On this particular play, the scheme put Revis in a position to drive downhill on the flat route from the tight end.

This is just one example, but it speaks to Bowles' ability to show the offense something pre-snap before taking it away quickly. And he does it by creating chaos for the quarterback with pressure. Yes, zero-man is always going to be identified first in Bowles' system, but this Jets defense is much more multiple than that.

You can bet the Jets have taken a hard look at the Colts-Bills tape from Week 1 as they prepped for Luck & Co. In that matchup, the Ryan-coached Bills gave the Indy quarterback a variety of different looks up front, brought plenty of pressure and locked down receivers in the secondary. The Buffalo defensive backs played out of their minds and were consistently in a position to attack the ball. Inside breaking routes, hot reads, the deep throws -- man, the Bills were ready to play under Ryan.

Can the Jets get the same production from their secondary when they bring pressure? With Cromartie questionable due to a knee injury, New York could be without one of the most natural playmakers in the NFL. The good news for the Jets: Williams, who logged 30 snaps in relief of Cromartie, played good football against the Browns. Yes, the talent outside the numbers with the Colts takes a major jump compared to the Cleveland roster, but I don't expect Bowles to change his game plan.

For the Jets beat the Colts and move to 2-0 on the season, it starts with limiting Luck. That's the story. Get after him and beat up those receivers. With Bowles, that means zero-pressure, some overload fronts and pre-snap disguises that put his guys in a position to make plays. Win up front versus the run game and put Luck in a position where he has to throw the ball under pressure.

Ryan showed them the path to get there with his defense last week. And Bowles' will bring that same identity to Indianapolis on tonight.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/13700009/without-rex-ryan-new-york-jets-defense-continues-bring-heat-nfl
Triple C
Knicks Forum The Good News
And1: 16,840

Post#4 » by Triple C » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:42 pm

Cromartie will play, insane.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#5 » by Rich Rane » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:37 am

I know Colts aren't exactly great on the run, but I wouldn't have minded throwing to Marshall there on that 3rd and short.

Damn it, bad penalty from Skrine and the declined one on Leonard Williams.

YES! Good pressure and good INT off that tip from Pryor and a solid run back.

There we go!
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#6 » by Rich Rane » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:00 am

Whew, no points given. Scary with how bad the defense was doing against the run.

Damn it, I almost thought Gilchrist hung onto that one.

Ugh, bad throw from Fitzpatrick.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,448

Post#7 » by bwgood77 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:32 am

I didn't bet much, but I put 20 on Jets +7 and put 10 on a teaser with Jets +11.5 and under 50. Looks good so far.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#8 » by Rich Rane » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:36 am

Kinda weird to see Jets throw so much first down.

Love that the secondary is giving Luck a nightmare.
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#9 » by zilby » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:54 am

Fitz keeps trying to throw deep to Marshall in that double coverage and I have no idea why. He got picked on the same play last drive.
Hawaiian pizza is good.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#10 » by Rich Rane » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:57 am

Damn it, I wish they didn't go conservative on that third down.

Hope that missed FG doesn't haunt us.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#11 » by Rich Rane » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:18 am

Let's see how the defense does after what's sure to be some adjustments from the Colts offense.

Bless you, Revis Christ.

Damn, defense needed rest and offense gives them a 3 and out. Can't believe they're not running well at all.

And I'm getting sick of Quigley.

I missed Revis...so much!

Just not making the Colts pay for their turnovers.

Defense is getting sluggish. Offense really needs to give them some rest.

GREAT drive by Fitzpatrick and the offense!

Great win, for the most part.
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#12 » by zilby » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:42 am

How's that for a statement win on MNF?
Hawaiian pizza is good.
j4remi
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 18,492

Post#13 » by j4remi » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:09 pm

Huge statement by the defense, less impressive from the offense. Ivory started to get it going late, which is pretty ground and pound typical. Fitz really forced it to Marshall a bit too often, he was throwing into double coverage a few times which led to one INT and one more that was really close to getting picked. If the front man is weak, maybe worth the risk but Vontae Davis...don't do that. The HAVE to take more advantage of TO's and at least buy the defense more time to catch its breath. That coulda been a shutout if they'd controlled the clock a bit more and didn't force the D right back onto the field after it had endured a 10+ play drive without giving up the score.

The D has just been forcing a ton of TO's and owning the game with it's ability to steal the ball. That said, they give up a lot of cushion for a team that will need to play field position. Cro has given up a TD from his man two weeks in a row now, while Skrine and Gilchrist look great; Revis is what we always knew he is. The line dominated, really love our rookie blowing by O-line men a couple of times a day. When Richardson gets in there it's going to be an all day nightmare for O-Lines. Mauldin was exciting to see, I'm hoping he gets healthy and comes back to be a work horse blitz guy sooner than later.

Special teams is still awfully light which isn't very comforting.
Haliburton/Lewis Jr/Sasser
Booker/Shamet
Barnes/Dick/Duarte
Washington/Barnes/Crowder
Zubac/Theis/Clowney

Sanogo, Castleton

Ex: Samar, K. Diop, Spagnolo

Return to New York Jets