OT: Raiders least desirable team to play for

Moderator: HMFFL

Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,082

Re: OT: Raiders least desirable team to play for 

Post#1781 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:28 pm

FireNellieQuick wrote:Here's the list of SS that had a worse 2nd half of the season than Charles Woodson:

/list

Nate Allen actually was a quality tackler and coverage safety... I don't get why that's all of a sudden a bad thing that he improved and we signed him.

So you say; I don't think many would agree that Woodson was the worst safety in the League last season. Technically he was a free safety - Tyvon Branch was the strong safety, replaced by Brandian Ross due to injury - but often played up in the box because of need and because he's skilled and flexible.

I've got no problem with signing Nate Allen, but he's shown to be an OK player, not someone you are going to likely want to be your long-term answer at the position. And I will bet you any amount that he has fewer INTs this season, i.e., a down year.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#1782 » by FNQ » Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:35 pm

He was the worst SS in the 2nd half of 2014. He had 15 (!) missed tackles and had a grade of -13.3. Maybe because he got tired, but it's irrelevant - he's playing SS this year, he played SS last year except for 2 games, as Ross played FS.

Less INTs isn't indicative of a down year. It could depend on a glut of factors. The bottom line is there has been consistent improvement from here year after year, and if he does make a leap on a better defensive team, he'll be relatively cheap the rest of his contract. If he flops, we can wash our hands without issue. I don't consider him a long-term answer at all, the only long-term answer we got in FA was Rodney Hudson. If you walk away from free agency with a lot of 'long term answers', you are usually converting them into 'long term problems' in a year or two. Ask Tampa.
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#1783 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:13 pm

C-Wood is a cornerback moved to free safety because he's old, and plugged into strong safety last season because our SS suffered career-ending injury and main alternative was a guy picked off of the scrap heap.

SB Nation I think describes the general situation in the Raiders secondary perfectly:

As is often the case, we wrap up this series with the Raiders last line of defense -- the safeties. The Raiders are in much need of adding a safety. They cut strong safety Tyvon Branch and have Charles Woodson entering what is likely his 18th and final NFL season.

Currently it's Woodson and Brandian Ross as the starters with both players having their best seasons at safety. That was with both players switching the positions they played last season and Woodson lining up at strong safety and Ross at free safety.

Ross having his best season is not saying a whole lot. He was literally the worst safety in the NFL last season per Pro Football Focus grading. He was easily considerably better this season.

Prior to the release of Branch, the fans voted this a moderate need. I would venture to say that would jump to desperate need now. I would rate it a top five need just behind WR, DE, and MLB.

And it's a good year to have a need at safety. There are a lot of good ones set to hit the market. Here are the ones who are likely to receive some serious interest from the Raiders...
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1784 » by FNQ » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:01 pm

Who cares? He's slated to play SS this year, Nate Allen is a FS. So we're continuing with Woodson at SS, which was not a good look. Nothing you've said or brought up deters from the fact that Woodson was among the worst, if not the worst, SS in the 2nd half of 2014. And he is slated to start again. If the 2nd half Woodson shows up again, Brandian Ross would be a better option.

That article is old, having not mentioned Allen signing on.

There is a definite need at safety for the Raiders. But its because of Woodson starting, not Allen.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#1785 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:31 am

I thought Nate Allen was playing SS and C. Wood to FS
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1786 » by FNQ » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:46 am

That would make some sense.. but so would Gabe to RG, and we've seen what they think on that. Allen is only a moderately better tackler than Woodson. Still, it should be that way, but all indications are that Woodson stays at SS and Allen plays FS, since that's all he's ever played in the NFL.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,759

Re: Looking at Round 2 WR options for Raiders 

Post#1787 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:32 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/oakland-raiders ... or-raiders

Yeah, I'm not confident about that option...
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1788 » by FNQ » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:52 pm

Based on talent:
1) Dorial Green-Beckham
2) Breshard Perriman
3) Devin Smith
4) Jaelen Strong

huge gap

5) Sammie Coates
6) Phillip Dorsett

7) Devin Funchess

Based on who we might actually take:

1) Jaelen Strong
2) Breshard Perriman
3) Devin Smith
4) Sammie Coates
5) Devin Funchess (move him to TE)
6) Phillip Dorsett

huge gap

7) Dorial Green-Beckham

If I were sure Perriman was there at 35, I'd be taking a DE or trading down in the 1st. Probably would maintain that stance if DGB were there, but I don't think Reggie wants him. Smith and Strong don't look to be #1s, although Strong could surprise. Smith is just too small to be a legit #1.
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#1789 » by RoyalMajesty » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:28 am

Dorial Green-Beckham is a talented WR, but has too many red flags. I highly doubt Reggie McKenzie even look at his way. You think DGB has red flags now? Wait until he gets millions and millions of dollars and see how much more trouble he'll be in. I love his talent, but really nervous about his red flags.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#1790 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:13 pm

“He’s still on my board,” general manager Reggie McKenzie told CSN Bay Area at the NFL owners meetings. “We’ll see how he feels and how he rehabs and all that. Going forward, it will be more about how he wants to navigate through this.”

Reggie on Gresham.
it'll be interesting to see how this one plays out.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#1791 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:31 pm

why are we giving Randy Gregory a private work out?

he has a girl waist and he failed a drug test.

PASS
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#1792 » by Twinkie defense » Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:35 pm

He could be a great pick if the Warriors trade down. Who cares about weed - just don't smoke during the season or before the test.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#1793 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:57 pm

If who trades down?
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#1794 » by Twinkie defense » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:04 pm

Lol
RoyalMajesty
Banned User
And1: 1,278

Post#1795 » by RoyalMajesty » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:09 pm

TE #1=Jermaine Gresham
TE #2=Mychal Rivera
TE #3=Lee Smith

^^^^^ This TE unit would be really nice for Derek Carr. Nick Kasa could get injured again. Who knows, but with a blocking TE in Lee Smith, a proven TE in Jermaine Gresham, and a guy that already built chemistry with Derek Carr in Mychal Rivera, Nick Kasa is not needed in Oakland.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1796 » by FNQ » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:33 pm

Lee Smith wasn't signed at 3m per to be the 3rd string TE. If we do sign Gresham, Gresham becomes the do-it-all, and Smith is in-line. And Rivera won't see snaps. And we'll be much, much better, because Rivera is absolutely terrible.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#1797 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:32 pm

Ninja Assassin released.

i'll have to digest the move for like 10-15 minutes to figure it out.
4Ms in cap space saved i believe.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1798 » by FNQ » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:50 pm

I absolutely love rotoworld's commentary on it.. it's fantasy experts talking about real sports. My personal favorites were when they called Lacob a terrible owner for trading Monta for Bogut, and laughing at us extending Stephen Curry. They just pick on downtrodden franchises. Anyways, from the laughably wrong again file:

Raiders released DL Antonio Smith.

The move clears $4 million in cap space, which, of course, the Raiders don't need. Going on 34, Smith was heading into the second season of a two-year deal. Smith started all 16 games last season, but was a nonentity. He generated just three sacks in 791 snaps, and struggled mightily against the run. Smith's durability and scheme versatility — he played tackle in 2014, but has extensive experience at end — should earn him a market despite his age and underwhelming Oakland "tenure." The Raiders' 2014 free-agent class is shaping up as one of the worst of all time.

The Raiders actually signed 2 of the top 5 PFF rated FAs last year (Tuck, Penn) and didn't commit major money to anyone. They have minimal dead money. Meanwhile, Tampa Bay got worse, spent a ton more money, and retained almost no one from their 'massive free agency win' that rotoworld pimped to death. In fact, they are spending more guaranteed money on players that are NO LONGER WITH THEIR TEAM than we're spending on retaining both Tuck and Penn.

You can't even make this stuff up.. they usually cite PFF in every blurb. Guess they forgot to this time: Antonio Smith was the #3 ranked pass rush DT in the NFL behind only Gerald McCoy and Kyle D Williams. :lol:
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#1799 » by Twinkie defense » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:54 pm

Maybe for a sad sack Raiders franchise, simply not making moves that cripple the team long term is viewed as a win. Other teams actively look to improve with their player acquisitions.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1800 » by FNQ » Wed Apr 1, 2015 12:24 am

Lol of course you'd defend that trash. Who said it's a win?

Didn't even have the worst off-season of the year.. not by a long shot. And it's among the worst all time. Rotoworld has some of the worst real life takes.. almost as bad as Florio.

Return to Las Vegas Raiders