2015 FA thread

Moderator: HMFFL

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Re: 2015 FA thread 

Post#81 » by FNQ » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:28 pm

We have a need for a big, physical CB.. and we can frontload it to the point where its basically a 2 year deal. Browner would be a huge get.

The Rahim Moore thing, I kinda agree on. Papa has destroyed him on the radio, repeatedly calling him JAG, but he's an opportunistic safety if given a pass rush. But yeah, if JDR isn't interested, suppose its for the best. Don't understand why we're passing on Gilchrist, and supposedly going into the season with a Woodson-Ross-Allen combo at safety. That's not very good, especially tackling-wise. Our 3rd level run D will not be good, so I hope the front 7 can do a ton of work.

Which of course leads me back to campaigning for Red Bryant
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#82 » by Neddy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:30 pm

FireNellieQuick wrote:Red Bryant, still a top-notch run-stuffing DE, released by Jax. I would be all over that as a starting end. Would make our run D really, really good. If we did that, screw a WR @ 4, give me a pass-rushing DE that can rotate with him and Tuck.. take a WR in rd 2.

do we have to worry about run defense so much still, now that we have Dan WIlliams is our 1 tech NT and Ellis is 3 tech DTs? those two guys will pretty much handle the middle and Antonio Smith can move back to DE.

but for depth, I would be never against the signing of Red. more the merrier.
ehhhhh f it.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#83 » by FNQ » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:31 pm

Antonio Smith is likely to remain a rotational DT.. I'd love to kick him outside, but haven't heard a peep on it.

And yea, I'm very worried about our run D due to the really poor tackling ability of our safeties.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#84 » by FNQ » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:59 pm

Dwayne Bowe released. I'd convince him to stay in the division if possible. Sell him that our QB actually throws TDs to his WRs.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,638

Post#85 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:47 pm

Evan Mathis on the trading block from Philly.

I say Reggie pulls the trigger here.
Old but could be worth it to us short term and we can draft his replacement and groom.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#86 » by FNQ » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:47 pm

An anonymous HC is saying Knighton is out of shape... he's only met with Broncos/Raiders/Bears. Hmmm... our interest in him vanished pretty quickly. Maybe JDR is saying that?
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#87 » by FNQ » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:49 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:Evan Mathis on the trading block from Philly.

I say Reggie pulls the trigger here.
Old but could be worth it to us short term and we can draft his replacement and groom.

Only Miami and Rams interested thus far. Don't think we do it, Penn is our oline leader. I'd prefer to outright sign Justin Blalock , but no reported interest there either
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#88 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:06 pm

I dunno man. That's a chance to get an elite G.

to the casual fan it's not as sexy as a Suh pick up….but to me, giving up a 4th rounder for 2 more years of Mathis could be worth it.

edit:
Saints just dealt Ben Grubbs for a 5th rounder, so I'm betting Kelly is looking for a 4th rounder.
could be worth it…just could be.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#89 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:17 pm

you had Browner right it seems.

3 year deal to the Saints.
I need to see the figures to see if the Saints can get from under him after 2.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#90 » by FNQ » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:16 pm

I'd bet they can with minimal damage. The final year in NFL contracts are almost always like that. Ah well, opportunity missed.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#91 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:42 pm

we should have given Chris Culliver a look after not looking on Browner.

the fact that Reggie seems like he's not looking for a corner makes me believe he wants to address it in the draft.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#92 » by FNQ » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:43 pm

The NFL's positional value fluctuates so much.. it appears that Reggie likes to address 'peaking' positions via the draft (CB/WR/DE, and of course, QB), while addressing non-peaking positions via FA (TE, inside OL, S, ILB, DT).

I tend to agree, to a degree. DT's are mostly rotational, thus you need to be getting a 3 down DT or ILB if you are drafting them higher. Same with TE, which isn't always necessary on the field. The only big outlier is DE/OLB, which I feel is the most important non QB position. That's why guys like Gregory and Ray are projected top 10 picks despite being pretty much one-dimensional
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#93 » by FNQ » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:07 pm

Kenny Stills traded for a 3rd pick, Daniel Ellerbe.

The affinity Reggie has for draft picks is taking us out of the trade market, and unlike other traded players, this is a young player that didn't cost that much. Have to wonder how much they valued Ellerbe - enough that our 3rd rounder wasn't going to be enough? If so, ok. If not, we missed out on another opportunity for a proven talent. I can forgive the Ngata one - he's old and expensive - but Stills has 2 more controlled years and is 23. For a 3rd round pick, I make that deal all day. Legitimate #2 receiver.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#94 » by Neddy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:03 pm

FireNellieQuick wrote:Kenny Stills traded for a 3rd pick, Daniel Ellerbe.

The affinity Reggie has for draft picks is taking us out of the trade market, and unlike other traded players, this is a young player that didn't cost that much. Have to wonder how much they valued Ellerbe - enough that our 3rd rounder wasn't going to be enough? If so, ok. If not, we missed out on another opportunity for a proven talent. I can forgive the Ngata one - he's old and expensive - but Stills has 2 more controlled years and is 23. For a 3rd round pick, I make that deal all day. Legitimate #2 receiver.

I thought we were interested in a legitimate #1 receiver.

Rod Streater and James Jones to me, are already #2 guys and Brice Butler seems be a favorite of the new coaches too. if Andre Holmes actually picks up the tender we have a roster full of potential legit #2 guys. knowing we have a ton of #2 guys, i would rather Reggie take his chances in the draft to find a potential #1 than trade it for a proven #2 guy.

how about Bowe? I thought he was underrated in KC and to me he looks more like a #1 guy. a boarderline #1, but a #1.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#95 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:13 pm

Neddy wrote:

Rod Streater and James Jones to me, are already #2 guys and Brice Butler seems be a favorite of the new coaches too. if Andre Holmes actually picks up the tender we have a roster full of potential legit #2 guys. knowing we have a ton of #2 guys, i would rather Reggie take his chances in the draft to find a potential #1 than trade it for a proven #2 guy.

how about Bowe? I thought he was underrated in KC and to me he looks more like a #1 guy. a boarderline #1, but a #1.

he's operating under the assumption we'll take a receiver in the 1st round….i think.
I like Stills but I'm on Reggie's side of things here. We're not in a position to give up picks etc. etc. We need to draft and develop players and get his vision in motion. We don't need to blow our load in one offseason…well, I don't think so at least. We're not winning the Super Bowl next year. I'd do it if I was certain we'd be contending next year.

looks like the talks with Jermaine Gresham are dead.
Mychael Rivera lives to fight another day. Hopefully our sets aren't predictable depending on which one is in the game, or which one is lined up where.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#96 » by Neddy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:17 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:
Neddy wrote:

he's operating under the assumption we'll take a receiver in the 1st round….i think.

looks like the talks with Jermaine Gresham are dead.
Mychael Rivera lives to fight another day. Hopefully our sets aren't predictable depending on which one is in the game, or which one is lined up where.

not having a fullback much, i assumed our offensive sets will sport a ton of double TE sets. I don't think it's gonna be all that predictable.
also, i wonder if all this means we are looking to use Reese more as a TE as he can block better than Rivera and catch just as well.

I dunno, i liked Mychal Rivera. I thought he was a good receiving TE to be honest.
ehhhhh f it.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by FNQ » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:42 pm

Rivera is undersized, slow, and a terrible blocker. He has average hands.. that's about it. Reece should leapfrog him as a TE, if we use Reece there instead of H-Back (which is a fancy word for TE that moves around).

I would have loved Stills as a #2 because Streater and Jones both are bottom of the barrel #2s. Stills has legit game-breaking ability, Streater doesn't. Jones is just a reliable possession guy with no separation skills whatsoever. He should be a #4, Streater should be a #3, and Butler should be a #2, all things being equal.

I don't necessarily want to draft a WR at 4, I may roll the dice and see who's there at 35.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#98 » by FNQ » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:43 pm

Remember, Stills is just 23. We wouldn't be trading a pick for a rental, we'd be trading a pick (only a 3rd) for a long-term piece. 2 years of price control, and a huge downfield threat with sure hands. I think we missed out there.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#99 » by FNQ » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:49 pm

Tramon Williams signs with Cleveland, supposedly a big money deal. CLE is just a huge dumpster fire at this point. Invest their 2 1st round picks last year at CB/QB, and are essentially admitting a huge failure on both by their FA actions
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#100 » by FNQ » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:50 pm

Also, Miles Austin 2.0 aka Cecil Shorts inks with the Texans. WR pool gets a little thinner, as it becomes increasingly more obvious that we're not addressing this in free agency.

Return to Las Vegas Raiders