Sio Moore placed on the PUP list

Moderator: HMFFL

FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Re: Sio Moore placed on the PUP list 

Post#21 » by FNQ » Tue Aug 4, 2015 5:34 pm

Yup. Pro sports medicine is an unfortunate black eye for regular sports medicine (weekend warriors).

One of the biggest lies perpetuated is that regular people take longer to heal than athletes.. well yeah, because you aren't going to invest a ton of money into giving regular people high grade painkillers and hope they don't have complications, whereas that time would be resting time for regular people.

That's what makes the rehab industry tough to stomach sometimes.. you know these people are getting bad advice for them long-term but good luck convincing them otherwise. So all you can do is prep them for scenarios. Football is the worst because of non guaranteed contracts and the constant pressure of someone younger/cheaper coming to take your job.
benchmobbin02
Veteran
And1: 364

Post#22 » by benchmobbin02 » Wed Aug 5, 2015 12:15 am

Neddy wrote:
benchmobbin02 wrote:
FNQ wrote:Well let's be clear: they are the training staff, not medical staff. I doubt a medical staff signs off on this. I'd also hold off on the 'we' part of your first paragraph. ;)

What's done is done and he's on the field. Hopefully it works out

You don't think qualified medical professionals were consulted or are employed by the Raiders for just these situations. And they wouldn't be there to clear an important player in their foundation for his first practice of training camp after off-season surgery? :lol:

And by saying "we", you are implying that you know what surgery he had, correct? If so, please, let us know...

I might only be a dentist, but I know this topic is 100% correct on FNQ's side. you cannot rely on what the "training staff" tells the media. their interest is based on who pays their salary, and that is to put the product out on the field rather than park him on the sideline draining the payroll. who do you think were the ones giving local anesthetics to injured players through out the history of NFL? the player's orthopedic surgeons?

Yup I believe that we can't trust what the training staff tells the media because as I said before we don't know what surgery he had, what his recovery or rehab process was, how his body handled the healing process and so on and so forth. We don't know these things because teams only give vague info on injuries to protect the players and team interest (and sometime false info). Unless you are looking at a medical chart you don't know the whole story anymore than I do.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#23 » by Neddy » Wed Aug 5, 2015 12:58 am

that is just the point. if the "medical staff" cleared him for the work out, you better believe the Raiders or any other franchise's propaganda office aka the team's public relation office would make sure the term "medical clearance" would be announced along with that reputable doc's name. that didn't happen and that's where the red flag comes from. Sio only cleared the "training staff" clearance after a non-specific surgery when he couldn't even run just a few days ago.

this is no different than say, a low level franchise dental office like Gentle dental/Western Dental's rookie GP clearing a diabetic chronic alcoholic smoker patient for a dental implant yet there is no Oral Surgeon with a CT scan to check it off.

it might work, as many ignorant diagnosis still comes up lucky, but the probability of things going south also is very high.
ehhhhh f it.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#24 » by benchmobbin02 » Wed Aug 5, 2015 2:16 am

Neddy wrote:that is just the point. if the "medical staff" cleared him for the work out, you better believe the Raiders or any other franchise's propaganda office aka the team's public relation office would make sure the term "medical clearance" would be announced along with that reputable doc's name. that didn't happen and that's where the red flag comes from. Sio only cleared the "training staff" clearance after a non-specific surgery when he couldn't even run just a few days ago.

this is no different than say, a low level franchise dental office like Gentle dental/Western Dental's rookie GP clearing a diabetic chronic alcoholic smoker patient for a dental implant yet there is no Oral Surgeon with a CT scan to check it off.

it might work, as many ignorant diagnosis still comes up lucky, but the probability of things going south also is very high.

How do you know he couldn't run a few days ago and what the cause of that was?
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by FNQ » Wed Aug 5, 2015 9:58 pm

He didnt run in OTAs and wasn't cleared to to start the season, thus the PUP placement. He wasn't just stuck there for fun.. it's usually predicated on failing a physical test. What physical test? 'We' dont know..
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#26 » by benchmobbin02 » Thu Aug 6, 2015 2:35 am

So we don't know that he couldn't run a few days ago?
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by FNQ » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:24 pm

Sio's been out for the last couple practices and now a game.. and Ray Ray was a disaster
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#28 » by benchmobbin02 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:12 am

Well, let's see how we look in games 3 and 4. If there is no improvement then we can start looking on the Waiver wire for OLBs
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Post#29 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:23 am

Vic Tafur ✔@VicTafur
Del Rio said "it's farfetched" to think LB Sio Moore can cram enough in now to compete to be more than a "role player"
4:25 PM - 26 Aug 2015
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#30 » by benchmobbin02 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:33 am

"more than a role player..." this really isn't telling us anything new if we have been paying attention. He has miss a lot of time and that would suggest at the very least that he can't be trusted as a starter. So JDR saying he could only be a role player is about par. Notice he didn't say he was "on the bubble" or "not healthy". Sounds like coach talk, like saying you better pick it up! Motivation tactic.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by FNQ » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:00 pm

So we're taking the coach not specifically saying he's not healthy as a sign that he's healthy?

Hopefully you see now that a training staff's blessing is not very hard to get. It's their job to give them
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#32 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:04 pm

FNQ wrote:So we're taking the coach not specifically saying he's not healthy as a sign that he's healthy?

Hopefully you see now that a training staff's blessing is not very hard to get. It's their job to give them

Nope, was just emphasizing that that it was a motivating tactic. But nice try bring up that training staff crap again haha
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by FNQ » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:14 pm

How long was he healthy again?

Due to Ray Ray's performance at OTAs, Sio was pressured into being in camp before his body could handle it. So he showed up, couldn't handle it, and has sat out since.. and the coaches are now applying more pressure. Hope he stays healthy, but like I said earlier, could easily be a season-long issue. His turn-around time was extremely quick considering where he was just before preseason.

I'd imagine a healthy Sio can easily unseat Ray Ray.. so will be interesting to see where he fits in the season, rotation-wise, and how well he plays.
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#34 » by benchmobbin02 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:45 pm

Your making assumptions but like you said it will be interesting to see where he fits opening day.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by FNQ » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:45 pm

The Merc speculating that Sio could be on the trade block (assumed due to lack of usage)

Not going to get much if that's true. Coming off a major injury and benched for Ray Ray? If this really is true, Sio's more likely to be released than traded. At this point though, I don't buy it. He hasn't proven anything on the field so there's no reason to say he's on the block now unless the plan is to release him at the 53 cutoff, and I can't see that happening. I think they're trying to figure out why Sio isn't playing more.. and I agree at this point. If he's healthy, why isnt he getting snaps at OLB?
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#36 » by benchmobbin02 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:17 pm

If nothing else, this report starts the wheels turning as to what we would do if Moore is out of the picture totally for us. Maybe keeping 5 LBs - Smith Lofton Armstrong Heeney Ball. Having Mack and Mayowa able to play OLB and putting Valles and maybe Shirley on the PS. Also the outside chance Taylor Mays makes the 53 as a hybrid S/LB.

I'm of the mind that he may start the season on PUP list and be able to return by week 6 if the injury is the reason he isn't playing. If it is him being behind in learning the system or having an issues with the coaching staff then being cut is more possible if no trade happens. But we won't know either way til something happens or one side says something. One thing is for sure, he definitely has value being a recent 3rd rd pick and showing skill in getting pressure in the back field when healthy. I don't see Reggie calling it on a draft pick unless there are issue other than injury.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by FNQ » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:30 pm

Vic Tafur thinks he can be had for a 5th rounder.. I would have to think if the injury were the problem they wouldnt be letting him play special teams. Sio might be done here
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#38 » by benchmobbin02 » Tue Sep 1, 2015 12:46 am

He might be done or this could be a fishing expedition by the press for reasons why he isn't playing more.

My speculation is he missed time early due to rehab and didn't get compete on a level playing field with Ray, Smith and Ball. Surprisingly to the staff, all 3 looked good in mini and training camp. Moore finally got on the field and was pushing himself probably too hard for coming of the surgery and missed more practice. Never caught up in their eyes. He has the strikes of past injury history, more money, coaching staff hand picked new free agent (KNJ to Smith) and young guys playing well. He is healthy enough to play now but at this point in the process he is the odd man out.

Still, we won't know til the shoe drops and a reason comes from coach, front office or players mouth. Everything else is assumptions.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!
benchmobbin02
Veteran

Post#39 » by benchmobbin02 » Tue Sep 1, 2015 1:18 am

Some coments from reddit on Sio Moore topic I found interesting:

Alden0 2 points 33 minutes ago

I definitely haven't been a fan of his attitude recently. I don't really want to speculate but I have a gut feeling he isn't really getting along with the coaching staff but thats just imo.

hulkules209 2 points 28 minutes ago

If we trade him for anything less than a 3rd, I'm going to be pissed. Even a 3rd would be bad.

ArcticFrosty 2 points 16 minutes ago

Probably just extremely frustrated because he's injured and can't make his presence felt at the moment, while also at the same time the staff brought in some solid players and the roster competition is super tight this year. As competitive as he is it must hurt like hell to not be able to fully compete for your spot.

theblackandsilverrat 2 points 16 minutes ago

Idk ive seen a clip of him and jack joking around about the celebration against the cheifs. He shouldnt be worried no disrespect to our rookie lbs but none are a good as sio. I think it would be dumb to trade him.
MAKE IT MAKE SENSE!

Return to Las Vegas Raiders